As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Sorry, your Vault is on another planet...

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think that at this point I am just going to avoid Gearbox games until Pitchford resigns. Most of their games have been painfully average lately so it's going to be easy.

Goddamn awful top of the page.

Uhh... The pre-sequel has the best music of all their games.

urahonky on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I don't remember any music at all. I only heard gun noises.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA

It is great music to work to.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey folks, this is not really a place to discuss the pros and cons of the EGS. It’s only tangentially related to Borderlands itself.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Best music was always mad moxxi's arena in BL 1, which was good because when you wanted to finish those you had to listen to so much of it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Best music was always mad moxxi's arena in BL 1, which was good because when you wanted to finish those you had to listen to so much of it.

It sounded alot like the Muse album that came out around that time.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It's not like Valve didn't bully people with Steam back in the day. There is a reason there is a market for Epic to launch a new store beyond greed. I mean hell EA and Ubisoft did similar stores we can assume because they got tired of Valve taking an unfavorable cut.

But I'm getting BL 3 on console so the war doesn't effect me at all.

Developers and publishers are also getting sick of being review bombed on steam whenever they make any decision their users don't like no matter how innocuous. Steam has too much power in the PC gaming market and a lot of parties want to see real competition that of nothing else might lead steam to address their own shitty practices.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    It'd be nice if they had at least a feature parity with Steam, though. You can't really call it competition when they cut a huge check to get these developers on board, and their client is ass (do they still not have a cart or preloading?)

Luckily I have all but abandoned PC gaming right now. The Switch and PS4 pro are more than enough to keep me occupied. Maybe their client will be better when I get back into PC gaming.

urahonky wrote: »

I wouldn't know I was never a mused...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I wouldn't know I was never a mused...

Oh God Preacher...
    I painfully laughed

It'd be nice if they had at least a feature parity with Steam, though. You can't really call it competition when they cut a huge check to get these developers on board, and their client is ass (do they still not have a cart or preloading?)

Luckily I have all but abandoned PC gaming right now. The Switch and PS4 pro are more than enough to keep me occupied. Maybe their client will be better when I get back into PC gaming.

Steam was utter garbage its first 2-3 years. I won't grant other clients that long to get it together but I think some latitude is fair.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    BL3 is launching in April, as far as I'm concerned, since even the people I know that would play it on console aren't getting it at release.

sig.gif
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Anyone know of a site with a 100% working skill calculator other than the official clunky one? Bl3ksills.com is missing Fl4k (and apparently is outdated).

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Guys a mod said to stop talking about Steam Vs Epic

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I intended to get it near release but I'm getting married soon after and I'll be super busy so the fiance and I might wait. I definitely won't preorder because I'm done getting burned by underwhelming season passes since Arkham Knight

Butters wrote: »
    I intended to get it near release but I'm getting married soon after and I'll be super busy so the fiance and I might wait. I definitely won't preorder because I'm done getting burned by underwhelming season passes since Arkham Knight

If you want the extras from the VIP you only need to install the game within 14 days and register your shift account

If you want the extras from the VIP you only need to install the game within 14 days and register your shift account

This kind of shit can fuck right off.

Its all optional and free. Its just 5 keys a skin and a gun. You don't gain an advatage from it

Its all optional and free. Its just 5 keys a skin and a gun. You don't gain an advatage from it

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those chests have some really good loot in them. You're saying that you don't get an advantage but you get 5 keys and a gun.

edited August 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those chests have some really good loot in them. You're saying that you don't get an advantage but you get 5 keys and a gun.

They do not. They typically have purple rares that are completely random set to your level and at best are a little better.

Also there will be free key codes on Twitter for 3 like minutes after release.

Also the gun. And chest won't be available when you start. You get thise probably about 2 hours in from what I've read. If you do get the gun it'll be level 1 and worthless fairly fast

King Riptor on
    It's not a multiplayer competitive game, there no advantage in anything...

They do not. They typically have purple rares that are completely random set to your level and at best are a little better.

Also the gun. And chest won't be available when you start. You get thise probably about 2 hours in from what I've read. If you do get the gun it'll be level 1 and worthless fairly fast

Yeah I learned in BL2 to save the keys until you got high level since they'd likely be worthwhile then.

Xeddicus wrote: »

Well I mean someone who gets these things will have a clear advantage over someone who doesn't. Not even talking about multi-player. If you want extra cool guns you gotta play in the first few days.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Yeah I learned in BL2 to save the keys until you got high level since they'd likely be worthwhile then.

I used keys every 10 or so levels. I had like 180 stored up when i started this most recent run

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    And there's nothing wrong with that, it's a bonus for playing that hurts no one.

Now if it was a DLC or something that be some crap, but a few free guns (that you will throw away in the same hour probably) is just that, a nice little bonus for some people. It's some peoples good luck, not punishing others.

I used keys every 10 or so levels. I had like 180 stored up when i started this most recent run

I actually have no idea how to get keys. I had a few in BL2 but never up to 180. Not sure what I needed to do to get them.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I actually have no idea how to get keys. I had a few in BL2 but never up to 180. Not sure what I needed to do to get them.

https://shift.gearboxsoftware.com/rewards

Mostly from codes on social media. Sometimes in events.
    100 Golden Keys!
    MARCH 30, 2019
    Thank you for tuning into Gearbox's 2019 Main Theater Show! Here are 100 Golden Keys from us to you! Use them to unlock the mysterious loot chest in Sanctuary to receive rare and powerful items!

http://[redacted]

That link used to have all the active Shift Codes, but it seems to be down right now.

edit: Apparently that site was shady AF and has recently been taken down.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life

Normally type in obnoxiously long keys into a website, well copy paste them, but it was such an annoying pain in the ass.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Well shit I learned something new today. Thanks for the heads up.

Normally type in obnoxiously long keys into a website, well copy paste them, but it was such an annoying pain in the ass.

It takes 10-15 seconds to enter a code with a Playstation controller.

It takes 10-15 seconds to enter a code with a Playstation controller.

And its obnoxious.

Like the new code system is better, but still just like "can't I just sign in everyday and get a reward and not need some dumb code entry system?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Shit if I were entering more than one I'd just plug in a keyboard and go to town. But honestly anything that makes me have to go through the hoops I'll just hard pass on. My free time is valuable and spending time just typing in numbers is a waste.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Well I mean someone who gets these things will have a clear advantage over someone who doesn't. Not even talking about multi-player. If you want extra cool guns you gotta play in the first few days.

Sure, and a newborn with a quarter will have a $0.25 advantage over a newborn with nothing. But while it's a clear advantage, it's not a meaningful one.

Heffling wrote: »

Sure, and a newborn with a quarter will have a $0.25 advantage over a newborn with nothing. But while it's a clear advantage, it's not a meaningful one.

Cool. Except there is an advantage. So don't say there's no advantage is there is one? lol

Cool. Except there is an advantage. So don't say there's no advantage is there is one? lol

The advantage is about as meaningful as the semantic argument you're trying to win.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I mean, if we get right down to it the game is being developed by a company run by a shitheel supreme, so there's also that.

If I weren’t going to play this game, App Store exclusivity is pretty far behind this one.

Frankly I’m probably still playing the game, either at launch or shortly thereafter, so I’m part of the problem anyway.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

The advantage is about as meaningful as the semantic argument you're trying to win.

I dropped it and someone else brought it back up. Just clarifying that everyone says "no advantage" and then in the same breath says there is one. So we'll have to agree to disagree and move on with our lives!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The "rewards" in these games are bizarre and really not worth anything at all. Giving a bonus gun at lv1 when you start is akin to virtually every preorder bonus out there. The kind that will last you an hour at most before something better comes along. And then there are the shift keys.

-The keys, while there are technically "hundreds" of them and you'll probably never ever possibly use them all up, are still fundamentally a limited resource.
    -The guns you get are always at your current level.
    -The core gameplay loop of Borderlands is that you'll be constantly replacing your guns as better ones drop as you level.
    -Ergo, the logical conclusion: "I might as well just save these keys until I'm at max level so I can get the best guns out of them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I think the main reason keys get stockpiled is you tend to only use them when you really need them and after you open up three shitty shields in a row you give up until the next time you really need a new gun.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So many goddamned pistols.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.