As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Monwyn wrote: »
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    And for some reason Wesley shows up in a Lieutenant’s dress uniform at the wedding in Nemesis. That movie was so so very bad.

Eh, Q shows up in a captain's uniform most of the time, and is decidedly not in Starfleet. I can forgive it.

But that doesn’t explain the cut scene dialogue where he talks about being an engineer on the Titan (Riker’s new ship)...

I mean it's hard to hold cutting-room footage against the film

Uh, someone wrote shit that clearly showed they hadn’t paid attention to the show, which seems entirely relevant to discussions about the quality of the film. Especially given the wider context of a director who was openly disdainful of Star Trek.

MsAnthropy on
    Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I remember reading the entire screenplay at the time (it leaked) and I don't remember Wesley even being mentioned. So it sounds like someone, in the middle of production, decided "you know this somehow still makes too much sense" so they threw all that in for good measure.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I don’t know where I saw it, but I like the explanation that Traveller!Wesley popped into the wedding naked because he assumed it would be a Betazoid ceremony, and the uniform just happened to be the closest clothes at hand.

Doesn’t completely fit since replicators exist, but there you go.

The wedding scene is the only thing I like about Nemesis. Troi/Riker 5eva.

I have seen the same explanation. I think I remember it bring Will Wheaton's own personal explanation for why he was wearing the uniform. I think I heard it at a Q&A he did at the PAX 2007.

Either that or it's a Red Letter Media thing and I'm just getting myself confused.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Just saw the Cardassian orphan episode and thought it was really good. That was one of those moral dilemmas where I really had a difficult time determining what should be done. At the end of the day I’m sad with the option Sisko went with but given the situation I can’t say it was the wrong option.

There’s also a sense in which a Carsassian who is the son of a political leader, and was educated by Bajorans about what the Cardassians did and then sent back to Cardassia, is a potentially a good motivator for social change.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    The whole "tired of fulfilling someone else's dreams" bit feels like it comes out of nowhere, though. Maybe I'm just losing details, but I don't remember any time Wesley hinted at that while he was on the ship or his Academy appearances.

The kid tried to cover up a death to protect his career, then two seasons later it's "I never actually wanted to join Starfleet."

It's entirely feasible the grind of the academy combined with the fallout from the flight team death could make someone question what they're doing over a 2 year period. Plenty of people hit that point in college when they're grinding through all the difficult core classes for their major. There's also probably the aspect that Wesley's been literally saving the flagship before ever even showing up to the academy; it might of felt like it was beneath him at some point, and possibly even like having to start from the bottom again.

That episode always bothered me cause it felt like not only was Wesley pissed off, but the actor playing him was too. But then it was a pretty badly written episode in my opinion, that was anchored to the show's episode contained story format, which sort of forced it into this hyperbolic representation of Wesley's frustration, cause they only had so much time to develop it before moving on to the mystical garbage.

To add a little bit more, Wesley's entire thing up until that point was tying his own happiness to what he thought others wanted from him. To be a model student, and, later, officer. It's even at the core of his fuck up with Nova Squadron. He was so desperate for the approval of the rest of the squad that he was going to compromise his stated ideals (remember "Starfleet doesn't lie?") in order to get/maintain it. It's only because he valued Picard's (someone who was more a father to him than his biological father) approval more than Locarno's at the end that he had a change of heart.

So, yeah, I can see Wesley grappling with the hollowness of ultimately doing things just because of external expectations. Living only for others isn't really healthy, especially when you measure your own happiness by how happy you've made someone else. It's something that cannot be maintained indefinitely due to it's inherent fleeting nature. You keep getting good scores at the Academy, so the scale slides and that's the new norm. What's next? You joined Nova Squadron? Congratulations, we're all proud of you... What's next?

I think burnout was inevitable with him.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Now Wheaton is in a lawsuit with Geek and Sundry because they screwed him out of some money.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Just saw the Cardassian orphan episode and thought it was really good. That was one of those moral dilemmas where I really had a difficult time determining what should be done. At the end of the day I’m sad with the option Sisko went with but given the situation I can’t say it was the wrong option.

There’s also a sense in which a Carsassian who is the son of a political leader, and was educated by Bajorans about what the Cardassians did and then sent back to Cardassia, is a potentially a good motivator for social change.

I take the opposite approach. I find it difficult to believe that what Sisko did was in the child's best interests, and that should have been his number one priority. (Though I would point out that the kid really needed some distinction between Cardassians as a species, and the Cardassian government in his education.) I had a post earlier in this thread comparing it to the TNG episode with a similar premise, that was one stabbing away from taking a kid away from his adoptive parents and "returning" him to his biological parents.

In conclusion, Cardassian kid should have stabbed somebody.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

In a lot of ways, you sort of realize the kid never even had a chance. Basically robbed of his young adult years and the usual rebellion that comes with them, still not having really dealt with the death of his father, or how he blamed Picard for it, and going to academy as an overachieving golden child who everyone is going to find excuses to hate on. Like you say, it wasn't a matter of if, it was when is this dude going to melt down?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The whole "tired of fulfilling someone else's dreams" bit feels like it comes out of nowhere, though. Maybe I'm just losing details, but I don't remember any time Wesley hinted at that while he was on the ship or his Academy appearances.

The kid tried to cover up a death to protect his career, then two seasons later it's "I never actually wanted to join Starfleet."

It's entirely feasible the grind of the academy combined with the fallout from the flight team death could make someone question what they're doing over a 2 year period. Plenty of people hit that point in college when they're grinding through all the difficult core classes for their major. There's also probably the aspect that Wesley's been literally saving the flagship before ever even showing up to the academy; it might of felt like it was beneath him at some point, and possibly even like having to start from the bottom again.

That episode always bothered me cause it felt like not only was Wesley pissed off, but the actor playing him was too. But then it was a pretty badly written episode in my opinion, that was anchored to the show's episode contained story format, which sort of forced it into this hyperbolic representation of Wesley's frustration, cause they only had so much time to develop it before moving on to the mystical garbage.

To add a little bit more, Wesley's entire thing up until that point was tying his own happiness to what he thought others wanted from him. To be a model student, and, later, officer. It's even at the core of his fuck up with Nova Squadron. He was so desperate for the approval of the rest of the squad that he was going to compromise his stated ideals (remember "Starfleet doesn't lie?") in order to get/maintain it. It's only because he valued Picard's (someone who was more a father to him than his biological father) approval more than Locarno's at the end that he had a change of heart.

So, yeah, I can see Wesley grappling with the hollowness of ultimately doing things just because of external expectations. Living only for others isn't really healthy, especially when you measure your own happiness by how happy you've made someone else. It's something that cannot be maintained indefinitely due to it's inherent fleeting nature. You keep getting good scores at the Academy, so the scale slides and that's the new norm. What's next? You joined Nova Squadron? Congratulations, we're all proud of you... What's next?

The character arc in the episode makes sense, it just suffers from Wesley now being a guest star on one episode so the whole thing has to be introduced and resolved within 42 minutes and so it ends up feeling a bit jarring.

• Options
    They did nothing with Wesley for a long time and wrapped the character up in an episode.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wil Wheaton got sick of being on the show and fair play to him.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

In a lot of ways, you sort of realize the kid never even had a chance. Basically robbed of his young adult years and the usual rebellion that comes with them, still not having really dealt with the death of his father, or how he blamed Picard for it, and going to academy as an overachieving golden child who everyone is going to find excuses to hate on. Like you say, it wasn't a matter of if, it was when is this dude going to melt down?

He needed to get stabbed by a Nausicaan that'd set the little pisher straight.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This Discovery Spock seems kind of a pompous dickbag rather than a sophisticated and curious adult.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    on the plus side he has some pretty good burns for Michael over the course of the season.

• Options
    I don't really want to see Spock dishing out zingers, I think. He should surely be above it all, and his humour comes from that, and not resentment or petty grudges.

I feel like this one is two lines away from going durr to someone who isn't following what he's saying precisely. I dunno, it's only been one episode, maybe he'll get better.

Something else I don't understand yet: why does anyone other than Spock give a toss about these Red Angel signals? I assume Section 31 has nefarious reasons, so fair enough, but Starfleet went instantly tonto for them and tasked Pike to find out what they were as though they hold the key to something worth breaking the prime directive and endangering the crew for. They led to some interesting places, fair enough, but before that Starfleet was instantly OH GOD SOLVE THIS NOW and there's no reason I can see that would have made them think that.

• Options
    season 2 spoiler for Spock
    at the start of him showing up Spock is in the middle of a breakdown. He mellows out a bit later

• Options
    Sure, but I was able to connect Zachary Quinto's Spock to Nimoy's instantly when I saw him. Not just the look and mannerisms but the feel of him as well. This guy seems, so far, like a completely different person.

Pike also feels different (and much more interesting than Jeffrey Hunter's portrayal), but Pike isn't so familiar to everyone in the world as Spock so we're more likely to run with Mount's performance.

• Options
    Yeah, I can understand that. With how the season plays out it might be intentional that he's so different, but if it works is another question.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    And for some reason Wesley shows up in a Lieutenant’s dress uniform at the wedding in Nemesis. That movie was so so very bad.

Eh, Q shows up in a captain's uniform most of the time, and is decidedly not in Starfleet. I can forgive it.

But that doesn’t explain the cut scene dialogue where he talks about being an engineer on the Titan (Riker’s new ship)...

Uh, someone wrote shit that clearly showed they hadn’t paid attention to the show, which seems entirely relevant to discussions about the quality of the film. Especially given the wider context of a director who was openly disdainful of Star Trek.

I occasionally edit novels freelance. If we held everything that ended up cut against creators everything would be considered garbage. It's why there are multiple checks throughout the process.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

I occasionally edit novels freelance. If we held everything that ended up cut against creators everything would be considered garbage. It's why there are multiple checks throughout the process.

Yeah I mean when talking about how the people making a movie didn’t care about the property it is totally unfair to jokiningly point to something they thought was worth writing and filming (even if they edited it out as part of the directive to make the movie as short as possible so it could be shown a maximum number of times per day) as one additional small data point joining all the ones that showed up in the final product. I am incredibly happy to have someone here pointing me to the errors of my way so that I can be a more appropriate person commenting on a random fan forum, and I am duly chastised.

:eyeroll:

Edit: If I *were* doing serious criticism or analysis in this or any other thread, acting as though discussion of extra-textual portions of the creative process (or the creator’s lives) were off-limits’ or ‘unfair’ to bolster points made about things seen in the text itself would be patently ridiculous. If it were true, I should’ve gotten an F for those papers I wrote about The Awakening back when I took my feminist lit classes, since I considered the wider context surrounding the book itself.

MsAnthropy on

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I didn't mind Wesley being at the wedding in Nemesis; I'm honestly perfectly happy to pretend the Indian episode never happened and any Star Trek creator who wants to do the same has my 100% sympathy, just like I'm glad TNG didn't feel the need to chain itself to that awful thing from TOS about women not being able to be starship captains.

(of course, my lax attitude toward canon applies double to Nemesis, which might be one of the very few Trek things I actually find straight-up loathsome instead of just simply lol, boring, or sad)

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I didn't mind Wesley being at the wedding in Nemesis; I'm honestly perfectly happy to pretend the Indian episode never happened and any Star Trek creator who wants to do the same has my 100% sympathy, just like I'm glad TNG didn't feel the need to chain itself to that awful thing from TOS about women not being able to be starship captains.

(of course, my lax attitude toward canon applies double to Nemesis, which might be one of the very few Trek things I actually find straight-up loathsome instead of just simply lol, boring, or sad)

Yeah, I don’t actually care much about stuff like that either if it’s in service of telling a good story or improves the setting. I personally just find it a funny sign about Nemesis, given how disdainful the writer and director were about the show in general.

MsAnthropy on

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    No. Strict adherence to canon only. The Enterprise runs on lithium not this dilithium shit some guy retconned in later on.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I have no problem with Wesley going back to Starfleet. People change their minds, and "Don't follow my path" is vague enough to mean something other than literally "Don't join Starfleet."

Really, it'd be interesting to know how/why he changed his mind. How he came to Starfleet on his own terms. And whether or not his course credits still counted :P

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    No. Strict adherence to canon only. The Enterprise runs on lithium not this dilithium shit some guy retconned in later on.

And what are these phaser things. It was clearly established in The Cage that they used lasers.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    UFP NO!
    UESPA SI!

• Options
    It would be cool to see the TOS pilot again.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

It's the first episode that plays when you watch TOS on Netflix.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

And what are these phaser things. It was clearly established in The Cage that they used lasers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JUxQe4P4g

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

I'd like to see the Enterprise shrug off a stellaser

bm8wsvthz2hb.jpg
    That is an entire star powering the beam.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

bm8wsvthz2hb.jpg

a- depends on how big the sun is. If not too big then just turn on the Metaphasic shield and you can just sit back and get a tan.
    b- it's got nothing on the awesome might of the stellar converter
    https://youtu.be/pr5Au0_NN04

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    We're now 2-3 posts from our fandoms asking once again:

(Don't open if you value your sanity, your dignity, or your human decency)
    Could the Enterprise's shield's stop the Death Star's beam?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

It's the first episode that plays when you watch TOS on Netflix.

Does it use the modern effects?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

That depends, are we in a Star Wars movie or a Star Trek movie?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Stargate

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Sam Carter will have the SGC at a higher tech level than either universe inside 10 years.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Stargate

It would be capable, but the Death Star gets blown up due to SG1 sabotage.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Sam Carter will have the SGC at a higher tech level than either universe inside 10 years.

"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

bm8wsvthz2hb.jpg

Star Trek has FTL sensors. There might be a range where a laser powered by a star would be dangerous, but it takes three minutes for light to travel from the sun to Mercury, so you have to get pretty close before "move out of the way when convenient" stops being the recommended course of action. A spaceship can try to maintain an optimal distance from an opponent, so lasers can make more sense there, but a star can't move.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I love how rarely TNG brings up Data’s superhuman strength and when it does get referenced it’s usually in a funny way. e.g. Riker struggling to get the controls working on a broken blast door, Data just grabs both sides and pulls it shut with the same effort one would fold a newspaper.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.