As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mobo has arrived

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Date on mobo is older than Ryzen 3k compatibility patch

Oh no

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Oh no

Does it support flashing without a CPU?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »

Oh no

Does it support flashing without a CPU?

Thought it did. Apparently it does not upon further review of MSIs site.

Welp time to call some shops around town... tomorrow, since they're all closed at 6.

Called a few earlier. One wanted an hour of labor ($110). Yeah nah brah

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    ...Best Buy?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    $110! That's ridiculous labour rate.
    We charged $65 and even that was pretty high.

Guarantee you can find someone local willing to help out for a case of beer. It takes literally 15 minutes.

You don't live on the west coast of Canada by chance?

• Options
    $110 an hour in 2019 is actually pretty reasonable. If I was running a small repair shop, there is no way I'd charge less than an hour of labor to reflash your BIOS and make sure the system posts with the new CPU after. Most places don't have stacks of unpackaged newer CPUs laying around. You either have to open a brand new CPU and taking a loss on its eventual sale or pull a CPU from an existing machine. If you pull it from an existing machine it'll take at least an hour to pull the CPU, install it in the new board. update the BIOS, remove the CPU, put in your CPU, make sure it posts, and reinstall the CPU back into the other machine.

You absolutely should find some guy with a Ryzen CPU you can borrow. At worst, you do what Mug was talking about and hit BeastBuy. When I built my 2600k rig back in 2011 the first mobo I got didn't post. I ended up buying another Sandy Bridge computer from best buy to test all my parts in and returned it the next day when I found it was my motherboard.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I did run a small shop and it's way easier than you make it seem for a process like this.
    If you carry ANY inventory at all of boards you absolutely have a CPU or two around to flash the latest bios for generational changes because your customer who buys a board is gonna come right back to have it Flashed or if you build them a system with a x370 or b450 or whatever you gotta do it anyway.

110 per hour is a ludicrous rate even in 2019 I texted my old boss and they charge 75 now.

You don't even have to put thermal paste on the cooler you just plop the 2000 or 1000 series CPU in, rest one of your zillion hyper 212s on the CPU, plug in a single random ram stick, the USB with the Rom, short the pins, update bios (longest part) and put the new CPU in, again rest the cooler on it, verify it posts and detects correctly.
    Turn it off and hand board and CPU back to customer.

20 minutes tops.

Edit: I just did this with my son's machine as he had a 3600 and x370 board and I had to take out my 2200 from my media pc to flash the board and even then it was less than half an hour.

Triple edit: not meaning to have an argument just that I am sure they can find an pc repair place that offers this service at a reasonable price.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Edit yeah nah everything is on fire.

Or not, jk, but still

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Guarantee you can find someone local willing to help out for a case of beer. It takes literally 15 minutes.

I wish. I live almost directly in the geographic middle of the US.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Fuck off, Scorptec. This should have a max increase of 30AUD, not 130AUD

LT5YT96.jpg?1

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options

I wish. I live almost directly in the geographic middle of the US.

How much do you trust people?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273961666519

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/cnt8jt/_/

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The $60 NCIX US used to charge for complete system assembly, testing, and a basic OS installation sounds even more reasonable now to a cheapskate like myself. I miss them.

• Options
    My boys at my favorite local shop come through again.

BIOS flash and boot check for $30.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    unless you render stuff or jobs like that, getting a 3900X is more for bragging than actual gaming performance
    the 3600 goes 100% well with a 2080, and it's a MASSIVE upgrade from older intels.

Oh, and ALWAYS WINDOWS ON THE FASTEST STORAGE.

Games can even go on a "slow" sata SSD

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Question!

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC... gathering parts, will build this weekend. I'm installing an MSI X570 mobo (along with a Ryzen 3600 and 32gb of RAM, yay). I was just thumbing through the manual for it just now, and I see that it has an "Important warning" stating that if you're installing a heavy GPU, you need to use a "graphics card bolster" to prevent deformation of the slot... in all my years of building PCs, I've never heard of doing this and I don't know that I've ever seen a GPU slot deform. My GPU is pretty heavy (Nvidia 1080), but...

Do any of you actually use GPU bolsters? Is this really necessary or just MSI trying to sell an accessory?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    New motherboards these days have reinforced x16 slots for that reason...or maybe it’s just marketing puffery, i don’t know

• Options
    @Pixelated Pixie can you provide the model number you ordered? I know you posted it to the Steam thread but I'm lazy. As @Orca indicated, most current motherboards have a different method of mounting the PCIe x16 socket that gives it a bit more reinforcement. I suspect it's twofold: a) thinly veiled way of reducing MSI's reliability; b) a way for literature to handle cards like the 5700XT THICC, which came out after the motherboard design was already finalized.

Oh, and c) MSI actually sells their own GPU Bolster ($25 OLOLOLOLOLOLOL) so they are probably using the literature to sell that product. If your card sags after you install it, you can come up with your own support method that's cheaper.

---
    If enough of you are interested (say maybe 3-4), I'm willing to get my hands on a 200GE or similar AMD CPU that we can send to each other for BIOS updates. Say $5 plus cost of shipping and we can send it around the countries as needed. Thoughts?

• Options
    AMD will send you a CPU to use for free for BIOS updates if you go through a few hoops.

@Mugsley - it's this one.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Yes but my version doesn't require jumping. Just Venmo (and a solid address and not being a dick)

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2019
    Graphics card sag is definitely real, but I haven't read much about PCIe slots being broken outside of shipment. For the sag issue I bought a simple brace on amazon (this one) and it has worked fine.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Brackets are fine these days, it's gpu sag that kills you. GPUs with solid backplates do better but the brave A Duck! mentioned or similar is the way to go if you're worried.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Brackets are fine these days, it's gpu sag that kills you. GPUs with solid backplates do better but the brave A Duck! mentioned or similar is the way to go if you're worried.

I have a nice MSI brace in mine; bit overkill but will come in handy for the RDNA 3.0 high-midrange Sapphire that will replace my 590 in a few years.

https://www.computerbase.de/2019-08/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-xt-thicc2-test/

Turns out the THICC2 is a bit... underwhelming.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »

I have a nice MSI brace in mine; bit overkill but will come in handy for the RDNA 3.0 high-midrange Sapphire that will replace my 590 in a few years.

I can't read German but I read elsewhere that they did some weird shit with their cooler that doesn't really contact memory modules so it doesn't cool them adequately. Bottom line is it looks cool but doesn't work well :(

Its moved be on to the Red Devil card or maybe the pulse.

• Options
    unless you render stuff or jobs like that, getting a 3900X is more for bragging than actual gaming performance
    the 3600 goes 100% well with a 2080, and it's a MASSIVE upgrade from older intels.

People back in 2011 were calling my 2600k build overkill but it lasted me this long. I'm not just building a rig for games right now, but for games coming out over the next 5+ years.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I got a case where the motherboard sits horizontally so that I don't need to deal with GPU sag

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The Sapphire 5700s seem to be a small improvement on temps and audio but otherwise a wash on performance, a much better proposition in the US as well as the UK has a pretty hefty markup on the reference models.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    Graphics card sag is definitely real, but I haven't read much about PCIe slots being broken outside of shipment. For the sag issue I bought a simple brace on amazon (this one) and it has worked fine.

Sounds good. Bought. Thanks. :)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I'm watching this vid on taking a $100 US Thinkpad T440P and upgrading basically everything (including the CPU), and the end result is a Haswell laptop that punches well above its weight.

Now I want to do a project like this for Reasons (tm) and also to give my mom a new laptop.

And now I'm wondering what upgrades/fixes I can make to her laptop.

The rabbit hole digs itself!

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »

I can't read German but I read elsewhere that they did some weird shit with their cooler that doesn't really contact memory modules so it doesn't cool them adequately. Bottom line is it looks cool but doesn't work well :(

Its moved be on to the Red Devil card or maybe the pulse.

Looks like the same problem as the Strix Vegas then.
    The Sapphire 5700s seem to be a small improvement on temps and audio but otherwise a wash on performance, a much better proposition in the US as well as the UK has a pretty hefty markup on the reference models.

Wait for the Nitro+ or toxic to see what they bring. Remember, there have been some striking OC successes on specific golden dies, so binning may matter a fair amount here.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

People back in 2011 were calling my 2600k build overkill but it lasted me this long. I'm not just building a rig for games right now, but for games coming out over the next 5+ years.

well considering my 2500k lasted me since 2011 up till last month

i still think the 3600 will definitely last for the next 5 years ++

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yeah I bought an i5 in 2016 against everyone's rec that it wouldn't last for games.

Welp.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I just pointed out you don't really need to chase the 3900X (which will probably go for premium) and miss your free time. You can get pretty much the same real world performance (even years from now, tbh, gaming benchmarks for the gen 2 and 3 core i5 and 7 cpus that were superior to the 2500k were practically within margin of error) for cheaper right now with the 3600 or something like that. But that's up to you, of course.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    It's really a matter of which comes first, need or want. My first build was august 2008 core 2 duo e8400, I built an i5-2500k in dec 2011 and my current i7-6700k in august 2015. I'll probably not look at parts til 2020 or so.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I have an i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz and I'm not really sure when I'll upgrade. I won't "need" to upgrade for a while. I might do so in 2020 though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    7700k is still pretty monstrous yeah

• Options
    7700k is pretty new, intel didn't really release anything particularly impressive after it; You'd get a bitchin' awesome Cinebench score and see games running the same. (everything changes if the person does rendering and all that fancy stuff of course)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I dont think I've ever posted my build before.

Say hi to the UNRGB, just black and gold and industrial clean.

g5qsxoh1oi0r.jpg

• Options
    Now off to work to make a bootable copy of Win 10 because I fucking forgot to use the media creation tool

• Options
    Your two front intake fans not being the same is killing me.

This discussion has been closed.