As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    They might be more common after the new codex hits, since Drop Pod Assault means you can splat out 10 bodies onto objectives anywhere on the board on turn 1. It won't bring us back to the glorious era of Steel Reehn or anything, but it should mean that people have an actual reason to look at them instead of just leave them to collect dust at the back of their shelves.

Of course back in 7th they were like 35 points or something, so the price hike in 8th didn't help at all.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    They might be more common after the new codex hits, since Drop Pod Assault means you can splat out 10 bodies onto objectives anywhere on the board on turn 1. It won't bring us back to the glorious era of Steel Reehn or anything, but it should mean that people have an actual reason to look at them instead of just leave them to collect dust at the back of their shelves.

Of course back in 7th they were like 35 points or something, so the price hike in 8th didn't help at all.

Tabletop Tactics showed some nasty uses with grav cannons and the new abilities. They worked really well and had like -4 ap. I expect to grab one or two for my deathwatch. Just if anything for fluff. My watch chapter is a mobile watch keep with a fleet and such. So a drop pod assault is very fluffy for me.

Also dropping in a bunch of storm shield/stormbolter/multi-meltas on turn one seems fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Build-Your-Own-Chapter attribute list is out. Pick two:
    Pick any two.

Bolter Fusillade - Reroll hits of 1 on bolter weapons
    Born Heroes - 6-inch heroic intervention (characters only)
    Duelists - 6s to hit auto wound against infantry and bikers in melee (can’t be combined with Whirlwind of Rage).
    Fearsome Aspect - -1 enemy ld within 3 inches
    Hungry for Battle - +1 to advance and charge
    Indomitable - No more than 1 model flees on failed morale
    Knowledge is Power - Reroll any or all dice rolls of 1 on psychic or deny [edited]
    Long Range Marksmen - +3” to ranged
    Master Artisans (old Salamanders) - re-roll one hit and wound when shooting, over-watching or in combat
    Preferred Enemy - Reroll hits against selected Xenos in melee on the turn you charge/are charged/heroically intervene
    Rapid Assault – no penalty when advancing and firing assault.
    Scions of the Forge – when determining damage bracket of vehicles count as double wounds.
    Stalwart – unit cannot be wounded by unmodified wound rolls of 1 or 2. Irrespective of the abilities of the attacker.
    Stealthy – count as in cover when over 12” away.
    Stoic – +1 ld
    Tactical withdrawal – can charge after falling back
    Warded – ignores mortals on 5+
    Whirlwind of Rage – unmodified melee roll of 6 on charge/when charged cause an additional hit. Cannot be combined with Duellists.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Shadowspear librarian and captain are up for pre order next weekend along with the lieutenant from Wake the Dead but not the one from Shadowspear.

Also the stealth dreadnought will be up for pre order. If I still have a job I'm gonna get that dreadnought.

I am tempted to get the dread even though I don't have one

So it's rained off and on all week which is nice. So I built more wyches for my ynnari/durkkari armies to which of one my brother said my soul burns when he saw it
    axwq611s9537.png
    tfdtk3hxkiop.png
    Yes I got a new keyboard because in "cleaning" my old one it no longer wanted to work I had to slam on the keys to make it work

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Shadowspear librarian and captain are up for pre order next weekend along with the lieutenant from Wake the Dead but not the one from Shadowspear.

Also the stealth dreadnought will be up for pre order. If I still have a job I'm gonna get that dreadnought.

I am tempted to get the dread even though I don't have one

So it's rained off and on all week which is nice. So I built more wyches for my ynnari/durkkari armies to which of one my brother said my soul burns when he saw it
    axwq611s9537.png
    tfdtk3hxkiop.png
    Yes I got a new keyboard because in "cleaning" my old one it no longer wanted to work I had to slam on the keys to make it work

I really like mechs which is probably why I like Tau so running dreadnoughts is always a plus for me. I still need to get a third redemptor and venerable Space Wolves dreadnought and I need to hit up ebay for dread parts so I can have more magnetized options.

Speaking of mechs, I'm building my castallen. Would it be worth magnetizing the arms just for eash of storage? I plan on magnetizing the torso already.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Build-Your-Own-Chapter attribute list is out. Pick two:
    Pick any two.

Bolter Fusillade - Reroll hits of 1 on bolter weapons
    Born Heroes - 6-inch heroic intervention (characters only)
    Duelists - 6s to hit auto wound against infantry and bikers in melee (can’t be combined with Whirlwind of Rage).
    Fearsome Aspect - -1 enemy ld within 3 inches
    Hungry for Battle - +1 to advance and charge
    Indomitable - No more than 1 model flees on failed morale
    Knowledge is Power - Reroll any or all dice rolls of 1 on psychic or deny [edited]
    Long Range Marksmen - +3” to ranged
    Master Artisans (old Salamanders) - re-roll one hit and wound when shooting, over-watching or in combat
    Preferred Enemy - Reroll hits against selected Xenos in melee on the turn you charge/are charged/heroically intervene
    Rapid Assault – no penalty when advancing and firing assault.
    Scions of the Forge – when determining damage bracket of vehicles count as double wounds.
    Stalwart – unit cannot be wounded by unmodified wound rolls of 1 or 2. Irrespective of the abilities of the attacker.
    Stealthy – count as in cover when over 12” away.
    Stoic – +1 ld
    Tactical withdrawal – can charge after falling back
    Warded – ignores mortals on 5+
    Whirlwind of Rage – unmodified melee roll of 6 on charge/when charged cause an additional hit. Cannot be combined with Duellists.

hmm I wonder if this will come over to kill team

• Options
    Working on building my castellan, the legs are weird. I can't seem to get them to align properly.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I stayed up well past my bedtime (2am) to order the Collector Edition of the Space Marine Codex. Worth it since it was sold out a few hours later when I checked back. It’ll be an extra week or so before I see it with the overseas shipping, but I’ve been getting the ebook versions anyway since they update and are much more convenient to carry. But I think GW should follow the industry and either put their rules online for free or consolidate everything to an app with one-time in-app purchases. I’d still buy some of the books in physical form. Even if there was a serious decline in physical book sales they could always swap to a print-on-demand service.

Anyway speaking of Space Marines, my brother and I were talking about what Chapter/color scheme we’d pick and he said “I feel like you could make a space marine color scheme by picking a robot master from megaman and adapting the colors”
    8ciueu7qqu3l.jpeg

Touché

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think some of those probably line up with official chapters already lol

I actually like the idea because I don't really trust myself to come up with a better color scheme than someone who was paid to do it

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Spent pretty much all day building the Imperial Knight apoc box and the extra knight I got 50% off and bought originally for parts. Got them built to the skeleton so I can paint them and the armor separately. After having done this with my first Iron Wolf knight I feel like it will be a lot easier this time though I'm not 100% sure I want it all to be Space Wolves theme.

I am gonna paint the castellan and helverins in gold though.

I left the front off of the castellan because I'm trying to find a stonehorn head from the beastclaw raiders to use as the head and I don't know if I need to mess with anything on the front part with the head or not.

R6e5o7V.jpg

Stragint on

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I was thinking the description of the Enforcer concussion carbine sounded a lot like the sonic gun from minority report and yes, looking at the sprue it also looks like an offbrand version

sonic%2Bgun.jpg
    472rczi77on1.jpg

• Options
    I am taking with a lot of salt but supposedly thunder hammers are 40 points for characters in the new Space Marine Codex.

If true, saved me from making a CSM thunder lord. I will stick to my powerfist for 9 points.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Also Intercessor sergeants get hammers now? Is there a model for that? Maybe one is incoming, because in other parts of the rules the "no model now rules" dogma is still going strong. For example if you want your phobos lieutenant to have a knive and pistol to go with the reivers you don't get to take grav chutes, because the new phobos model with knive and pistol doesn't have chutes

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    They can apparently take thunderhamemrs and hand flamers, so my guess is that the Salamander's upgrade sprue will have those weapons on it.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am taking with a lot of salt but supposedly thunder hammers are 40 points for characters in the new Space Marine Codex.

If true, saved me from making a CSM thunder lord. I will stick to my powerfist for 9 points.

I could see an increase to try and nerf BA Smash Captains or something, but doubling the cost would be pretty nuts.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    They've showed off a new phobos lieutenant cause the shadowspear one is on a big sprue with the infiltrators and eliminators and suppressors.

The captain and librarian were on their own separate sprues though which meant to me they only planned on those two coming in their own blisters.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I was thinking of (finally) grabbing Dark Heresy since there's a couple available online, but apparently there's a second edition that's super out of print(excluding the Drive Thru PDF). Is it worth getting 2E instead?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    With my knights I now have 3 armies that I can make a 2000 point list with.

Not really sure what to do with a knight list. I never thought I'd end up with enough to make their own list.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Well, given that 2E appears to cost more than $texas, I decided to just buy 1E. I'm sure it's flexible.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I wish I had seen your post early, DH2E is much better mechanically than DH1E, although first edition has a ridiculously large selection of sourcebooks to add a wealth of options for your players.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I wish I had seen your post early, DH2E is much better mechanically than DH1E, although first edition has a ridiculously large selection of sourcebooks to add a wealth of options for your players.

Well, said players would probably wind up being here, since this is my main PBP haunt, and given how popular 40K is... I bet they own them already.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    My DH1E book smells heavy of metal and ink but it's not worst smelling book I have just the strangest one

I got 2e rule book in the closing era even though I did not play and have given up on 40k in this era

• Options
    I imagine the changes are well documented so I can tweak as needed? Also, does it cover Adepta Sororitas?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I’ll add that there’s a Wrath and Glory game that came out in the last year. I think it’s dice pool system is mechanically superior to the linear percentage die system of Dark Heresy, but personal preference plays a large part in that. Also, Kadoken in the RPG thread loves Dark Heresy and is a good reference source for it.

Edit: one other benefit to Wrath and Glory is the core book covers a broad number of factions and power levels. From ganger wars to Orc Waaaaghs to Primaris campaigns. Sisters are covered iirc.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So whats going on with the Lore? Magnus, Mortician and Papa Smurf were back last I checked. And the Space Wolves got wrecked. Anything else?

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I imagine the changes are well documented so I can tweak as needed? Also, does it cover Adepta Sororitas?
    I don't know about 2e I know in 1e you needed the blood of the martyrs book to play a Adepta Soroitas
    0qxnb6m31ewe.png

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So whats going on with the Lore? Magnus, Mortician and Papa Smurf were back last I checked. And the Space Wolves got wrecked. Anything else?

Pretty sure it hasn't appreciably moved on since then, though I didn't read any of the Vigilus fluff.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Pretty sure it hasn't appreciably moved on since then, though I didn't read any of the Vigilus fluff.

A few old staples are now primarus.

On Vigilus Abbadon was kicking UM ass and Calgar had his hearts popped not once but twice but is still alive because of magic Cawl glands. And the Vengeful Spirit also took an Eldar corsair ship full of vortex missiles in the face and warped out causing Abbadon to bounce before finishing Calgar because Calgar can't die and we can't let Chaos win again.

Oh and the breach between Imperium Nihilis and the not cut off part is being held together by the same pylons that kept the Eye from going boom.

Vigilus outside of the Calgar/Abbadon fights it was really enclosed and didn't effect much.

Basically they are treating it like Cadia 2.0 because if Chaos wins the universe gets so fucked even more and blah blah blah.

It was a giant cock block via Eldar ex machina.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Cock blocking is, like, 90% of what the Eldar do though

Probably literally in the Dark Eldar's case

• Options
    I’m so unfamiliar with the tournament scene, would it be possible to do something similar to what Legend of the Five Rings did and have tournament results impact the lore?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I’m so unfamiliar with the tournament scene, would it be possible to do something similar to what Legend of the Five Rings did and have tournament results impact the lore?

They did this kind of during the release of 8th with a multi-week event.

The competitive scene is really really not fluffy in list building. You see a lot of Bobby G but almost no Abbadons. And there would be a billion blood angels with thunder hammers at every battle ever.

Oh also a billion knights.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

The competitive scene is really really not fluffy in list building. You see a lot of Bobby G but almost no Abbadons. And there would be a billion blood angels with thunder hammers at every battle ever.

Thirty two plucky Guardsmen who are secretly the unsung saviours of the Imperium

• Options

I remember back during the original 13th crusade debacle and the next year? Where at games day chaos rolled poorly but they pushed the story along so it was known at the afternoon rain of chaos
    I know they tired to push story at the tournament scene but it ended up being as disaster

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I remember back during the original 13th crusade debacle and the next year? Where at games day chaos rolled poorly but they pushed the story along so it was known at the afternoon rain of chaos
    I know they tired to push story at the tournament scene but it ended up being as disaster

See also... I want to say fantasy 6th edition. Long story short GW knows where it wants the story to go. Just do that tournaments are never gonna give you what you want.

• Options
    With my last of the Tyranid warriors I wanted to go melee with them since I had a bunch of deathspitters
    But I thought one looked fun with spinefists for a bit rzonyle8rgmw.png

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Thirty two plucky Guardsmen who are secretly the unsung saviours of the Imperium

Ah so the last chancers then?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

And L5R demonstrated why that was a terrible idea, at least for a game where the plot is an important part of the setting, and not something that only is touched following tournament results.

In hindsight, It's easy to pick out the high points, like Toturi's resurrection, Toku becoming the coolest monkey out there, that one instance I'm foggy on, but one faction won big in a tourney, but said 'no, this really should have gone to our allied faction,' but it also made long-terming planning for story development very hard. I've been out of the loop for so long (alas, Miya archives...) that most of the specific instances are too foggy for details, but advancing stories by who won the major tournaments made for a lot of sharp inconsistencies in metaplot direction, and times where Alderac tried to shoehorn things in because otherwise it was just too disruptive and contradictory to what had already been going on.

I'm reminded of a conversation a long while back in a thread about one of Black Library's short story contests. Someone had the idea that they'd roll a die during every fight to see which characters lived or die, and couldn't be convinced as to why that was a bad idea, because it'd be more 'realistic because all it takes is one bullet at the right time.' That might be an interesting way to proceed with a novel length narrative, where you have space to develop a broad cast of characters so that if a viewpoint character is killed off, it's not jarring to switch to another perspective. But doing it all as a narrative progresses means you have no idea who is going to be able to have a complete story arc, and while that suddenness might be 'realistic' it could make it very difficult to tell a satisfactory story with it.

And that's not even getting into trying to use it in a short story with length limitation to boot meaning there's not a lot of breadth to work with.

• Options
    I mean, as long as the story going somewhere that’s fine, but if it’s going to just be Cadia 2.0 for the next 10 years, they may as well incorporate tournament results into ultimately meaningless fluff.

I think a lot of the time people are disappointed with the results this construct produces because they’ve set their sights too high. A Chaos victory or Imperial victory or Xenos victory ultimately could have the same outcome: all sides consolidate their forces for the next big fight. That one might just be the ultimate battle (though we all know it won’t be). I mean, this is pretty much what wrestling is right?

So yeah allow all this silly shit to “matter.” Make Captain Slamingus the hero of Vigilis along with his giant robot best pal. Make the “Loyal 32” a thing in the canon. Warhammer fiction is already silly enough that I don't think it would be disruptive to incorporate tournament results. And maybe the rules writers would be a bit more motivated to match the rules with the fluff by these results.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    In terms of major plot points, I am wary to have tournaments decide the matter, although a part of me would absolutely love it.

However, origin stories that used tournaments or peculiarities in list construction could be fun. Imagine a book which canonized the Loyal 32 due to one particular battle and then continued on (ignoring tournaments thereafter) or a story where Mortarion and Magnus were forced to team up (bash brothers list) etc.

I just don't think it works for the overall Universe progression.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    These new dreadnoughts seem sick. If I still have a job after August I'm gonna buy 3 of them along with a third redemptor and Space Wolves venerable dreadnought.