As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I mean, this is the same general industry that thinks people will happily pony up for roughly 47 streaming services.

Which is because for ages people demanded a la carte media and the like because supply and demand chase each other.

I remember years ago my friend who works for a major cable company doing the channel negotiation/billing junk said that we would regret a la carte over bundles and I disagreed. But I now see why.

The problem is that the bundles suck. Back when I thought I might finally get a place, I'd price things to get the channels I wanted. And for the twenty or so I wanted, I'd have to pay for 500 I'd hardly watch.

And what do you do when they no longer provide what you wanted (Fuck you, Larry Scott and the Pac-12 Network!)? And how many fucking times do I have to be cajoled into calling somebody because CBS is about to be dropped?

Cable sucks.

Can we go back to the early days of digital/streaming now? For TV you could get everything you wanted with Netflix (movies and completed TV shows) and Hulu (currently airing seasons), and for music Pandora had all songs and was less shitty with their ads.

It says a lot when video games are the most consumer friendly of the digital options now even with games getting pulled due to licensing.

Hot take: Game library rental services make me worry as to the end of game (license) ownership. Every Ultimate Game Pass sale is a nail in its coffin.

Brick and mortar and physical discs are the last bastion! Fight the future!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I mean, this is the same general industry that thinks people will happily pony up for roughly 47 streaming services.

Which is because for ages people demanded a la carte media and the like because supply and demand chase each other.

I remember years ago my friend who works for a major cable company doing the channel negotiation/billing junk said that we would regret a la carte over bundles and I disagreed. But I now see why.

The problem is that the bundles suck. Back when I thought I might finally get a place, I'd price things to get the channels I wanted. And for the twenty or so I wanted, I'd have to pay for 500 I'd hardly watch.

And what do you do when they no longer provide what you wanted (Fuck you, Larry Scott and the Pac-12 Network!)? And how many fucking times do I have to be cajoled into calling somebody because CBS is about to be dropped?

Cable sucks.

Can we go back to the early days of digital/streaming now? For TV you could get everything you wanted with Netflix (movies and completed TV shows) and Hulu (currently airing seasons), and for music Pandora had all songs and was less shitty with their ads.

It says a lot when video games are the most consumer friendly of the digital options now even with games getting pulled due to licensing.

Hot take: Game library rental services make me worry as to the end of game (license) ownership. Every Ultimate Game Pass sale is a nail in its coffin.

Start worrying about this when they cancel Games With Gold, not before then. And physical discs suck completely nowadays. They don't even have the game on them.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Cable sucks.

Eh, I don’t think they’ll take the place of actually being able to purchase a (digital) copy of a game. Things like Game Pass are mostly banking on you paying for them without using them enough to make it worth it.

Example: I have EA access year round, but only get use out of it a few months out of the year to play various sports games that I otherwise would not have purchased. I don’t cancel the membership because i don’t know when the mood to play one of those will come up, and it’s a hassle to cancel and re-sub.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Not to mention how many games are near unplayable without a day one patch

Cable sucks.

Eh, I don’t think they’ll take the place of actually being able to purchase a (digital) copy of a game. Things like Game Pass are mostly banking on you paying for them without using them enough to make it worth it.

Example: I have EA access year round, but only get use out of it a few months out of the year to play various sports games that I otherwise would not have purchased. I don’t cancel the membership because i don’t know when the mood to play one of those will come up, and it’s a hassle to cancel and re-sub.

Was mostly a joke post, but yeah, I also have EA Access that I don't use, and the games that fall into that service that I would use I generally would buy. While the shift away from semi-static ownership and more toward access/experience isn't as jarring with music or video, seeing it creep into video game ownership is kind meh to me. It's good for people who can't afford to buy individual games and all, but it's like we're being conditioned further and further away from the idea of owning stuff because like, the only thing we Millennials seem to end up owning is debts. :pop:

Interestingly, price-wise with all the subs and devices for streaming, we're pretty much back where we started in terms of paying out to get access to the shows we want w/o the chaff. Disney+ is going to really make things interesting in that respect given how broad their portfolio is at this point.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Buying (or probably more accurately, renting) access to games is probably more beneficial to those who consume titles and move on. The buy-and-return crowd.

It makes sense. But negatively affect everybody who likes to have a copy of their own (physical or digital). Game companies don't care what the second group wants.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Cable sucks.

Start worrying about this when they cancel Games With Gold, not before then. And physical discs suck completely nowadays. They don't even have the game on them.

Speak for yourself. Physical discs are awesome. Older titles do let you play games without the internet, and with newer titles, you can participate in a resale economy because developers realized "license codes" were stupid and a waste of everyone's time.

When digital purchases do both those things, come back to me. Instead, they just suck, but we usually don't have a choice in the matter. I'd be more upset about Day 1 patches if so many digital purchases, on launch day, still didn't require a separate download for the same thing after supposedly finishing. How is that still happening the first week of launch?

(Note, this does not apply to PCs, where Steam largely destroyed even the image of consumer rights. I'm actually old enough to remember when buying used PC games was common.)

Synthesis on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Cable sucks.

Speak for yourself. Physical discs are awesome. Older titles do let you play games without the internet, and with newer titles, you can participate in a resale economy because developers realized "license codes" were stupid and a waste of everyone's time.

When digital purchases do both those things, come back to me. Instead, they just suck, but we usually don't have a choice in the matter. I'd be more upset about Day 1 patches if so many digital purchases, on launch day, still didn't require a separate download for the same thing after supposedly finishing. How is that still happening the first week of launch?

(Note, this does not apply to PCs, where Steam largely destroyed even the image of consumer rights. I'm actually old enough to remember when buying used PC games was common.)

How are they awesome? The physical disc for Spyro trilogy is really just the disc for Spyro 1. The physical disc for Madden or Call of Duty is a handcuff to grant you access to the vast majority of the content, which is all on their server. The disc for Skyrim is likewise just the worst version of the game before they fixed and patched ANYTHING. Etc. You can sell them, sure. And lending them is cool, so long as the person being lent to understands that they're in for an hour or so of downloads the minute they stick in the disc before they can actually play it. Discs were still a good value in the 360 era, but they pretty much are jokes now.

edited August 2019

Cable sucks.

How are they awesome? The physical disc for Spyro trilogy is really just the disc for Spyro 1. The physical disc for Madden or Call of Duty is a handcuff to grant you access to the vast majority of the content, which is all on their server. The disc for Skyrim is likewise just the worst version of the game before they fixed and patched ANYTHING. Etc. You can sell them, sure. And lending them is cool, so long as the person being lent to understands that they're in for an hour or so of downloads the minute they stick in the disc before they can actually play it. Discs were still a good value in the 360 era, but they pretty much are jokes now.

You've pretty much just answered your own question. Especially since, even on Xbox One, installations off disc are still faster than downloads for most people, lending a disc means a faster startup than a total download (just check the installation speed in the cue). Installing Gears of War 4, with the patch content, even off a disc is still almost half the time of downloading it, with the patch content, and that's assuming you don't have shitty internet. Digital purchases do neither, and they suck by comparison, but fortunately for them we frequently have no choice in a purchase.

I'm firmly in the "Having some choices are better than having none at all," crowd. It's a shame (as we're seeing with Stadia on the horizon), digital marketplaces have gone full in on "Absolutely minimum consumer recourse allowed under the law."

Synthesis on
    To briefly turn the topic (and since the Gears of War thread is kind of buried), the Gears 5 achievement list is out for anyone who wants vague spoilers about the campaign they're so anxious to hide.

Unsurprisingly, some of it is tied to the new Escape mode. Then again, I've never 1000/1000 a Gears of War game, or even come close.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I sometimes forget Achievements exist, as I disabled their notifications since they defaulted to the bottom of the screen in front of the subtitles I was trying to read. Is there an option to move them to the top where they belong? I never checked.

Dirty wrote: »
    I sometimes forget Achievements exist, as I disabled their notifications since they defaulted to the bottom of the screen in front of the subtitles I was trying to read. Is there an option to move them to the top where they belong? I never checked.

No, because then they'd block the navigation bar. More seriously, developers get to choose where they are (or, for example, if they pop in the bottom right or left corner, or on the top of screen--I've seen some games that do all three, because why not), not the player. Achievement tracking can be to any part of the screen, but that's a different thing.

Though I don't blame you. Every time someone seeing me play Super Robot Wars V and says "Trophies", I roll my eyes so hard I go temporarily blind, which isn't an issue in that game fortunately. Or really trophies in general. Fortunately in SRWV they're so infrequent that the opportunity for them to pop up and block up part of that games' absurdly info-heavy UI is rare, so I don't need to bother to hide them.

To briefly turn the topic (and since the Gears of War thread is kind of buried), the Gears 5 achievement list is out for anyone who wants vague spoilers about the campaign they're so anxious to hide.

Unsurprisingly, some of it is tied to the new Escape mode. Then again, I've never 1000/1000 a Gears of War game, or even come close.

I already left commentary about that in the appropriate thread ;p

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I haven't bothered with achievements in Gears of War since probably Gears 3, and even then that was just for coop stuff.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Sounds like multi-platform development is what killed the update. They weren't happy with how it worked across all devices... though, I had assumed it was supposed to be an X exclusive kind of thing.

Yeah I know it would have caught a lot of blowback but it really should have just released on PC and maybe 1X if it could handle it. It sounds like they were gonna have to revamp the whole engine to pull it off, but meanwhile there's hundreds of texture packs and lighting mods on PC. It kind of felt like it was there to market the 1X anyways.

It's a shame I had been wondering what was going on with that, I recently got back into Minecraft with a friend and actually like, beat the game. Back when I played there was no objective really.

Yeah, that's a bummer--I know I was looking forward to it for quite some time myself, especially since trying out Minecraft in Windows 10 VR.

Sadness aside, I suppose there's something a little...principled?...about canceling a graphics pack because it wasn't going have acceptable performance, leaving room to start again (if they desire). Rather than putting it out and biting your lip through performance complaints. I would've liked it to be a PC/XB1X exclusive thing, but that's easy for me to say as a PC/XB1X owner...then there's the Switch and PS4 (if we completely exclude mobile platforms).

I think the main holdback was Pocket Edition, all the current texture packs are compatible across all devices (atleast every platform on the most current edition). So to ensure crossplay worked well across all devices, they just canned it. Now I'm curious, did it ever receive 4K support?

edited August 2019
    I think the main holdback was Pocket Edition, all the current texture packs are compatible across all devices (atleast every platform on the most current edition). So to ensure crossplay worked well across all devices, they just canned it. Now I'm curious, did it ever receive 4K support?

I'm pretty sure it does--though considering I've been playing it mostly in VR (not counting back to a few years ago, when everyone and their mother experimented with the game, it was a groovy time), I had to start the game on Xbox to check. The Xbox.com master list claims it's "in development", but I think that's referencing the paid-DLC that was the Super Duper Graphics Pack, and not the free update that brought 4K and HDR support. I'm not certain if HDR is implemented (plenty of HDR implementations are lazy anyway), but it's definitely running at higher than 1080p on my TV...it looks like it could be 4K if I try and count edges (which is the only way to do it since, fundamentally, it's still Minecraft).

I think XB1X is the only console that got an enhancement from the basic console version. Both PS4 consoles use the same version, I think?

On VR, the game...mostly looks like crap, considering VR usually comes with a fidelity penalty. But there's a remarkable sense of scale that's pretty amazing, you feel like you're walking inside a human-sized Lego village and not just playing with them from a low camera. No doubt with some of the ball-tripping insane graphics overhauls you can get with the Java PC release (is that accurate? In any case, the PC version that's not cross-platform) it looks better, especially in VR, but fundamentally you're still stuck in a voxel world.

Synthesis on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    i dont get why they didnt just make it xbox one x only? I thought that was the whole point? Make it an optional thing if you cant get that version to play well with others. it just seems so odd

edited August 2019
    Prohass wrote: »
    i dont get why they didnt just make it xbox one x only? I thought that was the whole point? Make it an optional thing if you cant get that version to play well with others. it just seems so odd

Well, it definitely wasn't "the point"--they advertised it on both Xbox One and Xbox One X to start. Though unless they were running into performance issues on Xbox One X (where it's already a 4K game), canceling it entirely seems overly severe.

Synthesis on
    Outside of any kinda brand/ecosystem specific content have they made anything exclusively "Xbox" for Minecraft? If not, imagine how the narrative would get twisted if they did?

edited August 2019
    Outside of any kinda brand/ecosystem specific content have they made anything exclusively "Xbox" for Minecraft? If not, imagine how the narrative would get twisted if they did?

Maybe the Halo content pack? Trolling aside, Microsoft's reissue of Minecraft after the original Java release was intended for the purposes of a unified platform (even though it took a few years to actually achieve that). It's easy to forget that it was one of the earliest true multiplatform games once that actually went active (as oppose to just having cloud saves). Otherwise, why buy a version of Minecraft you can't mod and that's dependent on licensed content packs? Obviously there's no other choice on any console, but on PC?

(Well, that, and apparently large-scale educational licensing was a pain in the ass before Microsoft took over.)

Synthesis on
    edited August 2019
    I still don't know exactly how to proficiently share Xbox capture video on a website (or anywhere that isn't social media or on Xbox Live), so....guess who got the last achievement in The Outer Wilds and escaped the destruction of the solar system to the Eye of the Galaxy after the sun had already exploded, despite being a clumsy butterfingers who botched the Advanced Core Retrieval and could barely input the codes? This guy did.

Granted, Xbox only captured me barely escaping the supernova, but I did handle the actual Dark Bramble navigation like a boss. Zero skill, all memorization. 1000/1000 for The Outer Wilds.

Synthesis on
    I still don't know exactly how to proficiently share Xbox capture video on a website (or anywhere that isn't social media or on Xbox Live), so....guess who got the last achievement in The Outer Wilds and escaped the destruction of the solar system to the Eye of the Galaxy after the sun had already exploded, despite being a clumsy butterfingers who botched the Advanced Core Retrieval and could barely input the codes? This guy did.

Granted, Xbox only captured me barely escaping the supernova, but I did handle the actual Dark Bramble navigation like a boss. 1000/1000 for The Outer Wilds.

I order to upload to something like YouTube (since they took out the functionality for that which the app previously had) what I did was upload my video to One Drive then I used that to bring the file to YouTube. Didn't turn out too badly: https://youtube.com/watch?v=crkvP1K_a-8
    Only 720p, but it worked well enough.

edited August 2019
    True, I know you can upload things to Youtube, but for various (dumb) reasons I didn't bother (my Youtube account is surprisingly old and I keep it very, very bare). I did it once before to share a file and then deleted it afterwards. But it's a suitable solution (I just captured a direct link to the Xbox community web servers).

Similarly, it'd be easy to post to Facebook, etc.

Synthesis on
    Also, all clips from your profile get uploaded to Xbox servers. You can use the Xbox app to download the clips directly, or a third party site like gamerdvr.com which can grab the clips for you, all you to edit/make gifs, and upload to YouTube directly from the app.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Nitsua wrote: »

Granted, Xbox only captured me barely escaping the supernova, but I did handle the actual Dark Bramble navigation like a boss. 1000/1000 for The Outer Wilds.

I order to upload to something like YouTube (since they took out the functionality for that which the app previously had) what I did was upload my video to One Drive then I used that to bring the file to YouTube. Didn't turn out too badly: https://youtube.com/watch?v=crkvP1K_a-8

OneDrive integration is one of my favorite things about the Xbox OS. Capture a screenshot etc on the bone, sync it to OneDrive, walk back to my Mac in the other room and it is already sitting on the drive for me. Also worked for stuff like creating a custom user picture. For every other system I need to either pull the SD card or actually walk a USB drive back and forth. LIKE AN ANIMAL.

baudattitude on
    edited August 2019

OneDrive integration is one of my favorite things about the Xbox OS. Capture a screenshot etc on the bone, sync it to OneDrive, walk back to my Mac in the other room and it is already sitting on the drive for me. Also worked for stuff like creating a custom user picture. For every other system I need to either pull the SD card or actually walk a USB drive back and forth. LIKE AN ANIMAL.

That's right, you can upload stuff to OneDrive! I forgot that was directly integrated. Much better than trying to steal a direct link from Xbox.com.

Synthesis on

That's right, you can upload stuff to OneDrive! I forgot that was directly integrated. Much better than trying to steal a direct link from Xbox.com.

Yeah, being able to upload to OneDrive was how I could get it to YouTube. Made it so I could get the video from my system to YouTube without having to get my laptop out. Pretty handy.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Update on gears. About halfway through act 2 and the gf loves it. It's very forgiving with the ai. And so far normal hasn't been giving us any problems. I got a big shit eating grin for the lead up to the dad reveal

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    One other thing. The new xbox controllers feel nice. Got one in my foentire bundle slim, having only played on original and original elite. The dpad in particular feels great. Makes me want an elite 2. Wonder what a regular elite sells for, I have 2

Streaming only box? Not present, sayeth Phil Spencer.

Project Xcloud--that is, the extension of the existing locale console to Windows 10 streaming to other devices, particularly phones--is still set for an October launch (considering the Windows 10 version has existed for years now). From a research investment/profit potential standpoint, since Microsoft is a company that still wants to sell consoles (otherwise they wouldn't pour huge quantities of money into developing at least one entirely new one), releasing software that still compels its users to buy Xbox consoles has obvious advantages, even if means you don't reach as wide an audience (with an online system that would cost much more to implement up to standards).
    I don't think anybody should tell you that there's no lag...Going back to our transparency, there's a truth that I think is always important for us to talk about with our customers. In xCloud, we are building a convenience capability to allow you to take your Xbox experience with you. Meaning, that's why we focus on the phone, and the experience is not the same as running the games on an Xbox One X. I'm not going to say that it's an 8k 120 hertz thing. That's not what we're doing. We're going to bring convenience and choice to you on your phone.

"Take it with you," just happens to mean "Within reach of an Xbox console you already own," at the moment. Which I'm perfectly fine with, as would most Xbox owners be. Also, the usual 8k-120hz-da Cloud.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Huh. The XB360 Marketplace system has suddenly decided to stop recognizing Paypal as a valid payment option. That's a new one. *face-palm*
    Castlevania:LoS for this month will have to wait, or I could try it on the console itself...

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Stumbled upon an original Xbox copy of The Warriors today. Sadly it's not BC on 360 or Xbone, but I can still dig out the ancient beast to play it on. I've never played it but remembered it's something of a cult classic, so looking forward to bringing it out to play-ayyyy (sorry).

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Stumbled upon an original Xbox copy of The Warriors today. Sadly it's not BC on 360 or Xbone, but I can still dig out the ancient beast to play it on. I've never played it but remembered it's something of a cult classic, so looking forward to bringing it out to play-ayyyy (sorry).

It was very fun. I am super biased by my love for the movie though. The got a large number of the cast to do voice work for it too. It's one of the games I wish would get BC or a remaster.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Forza 6 hits GWG, and with it, the Complete Add-Ons Collection is 95% off (only for the next three days, so make haste if you want it). All the DLC for four quid? Sure thing.

It just queued up 106 pieces of DLC. Bloody hell. :eek:

Jazz on
    If I wasn't all in on FM7, I'd be all over that.

This discussion has been closed.