As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    lmao I've been delving into gender marker changes on official documents in Australia and WA and god damn it's all wildly inconsistent.

Federal government actually has really progressive guidelines on it, including a bigass document with very good information and definitions.
    - You can get your gender market on your passport changed to M/F as well as X (indeterminate, undisclosed, intersex) and it only requires a letter from a psychologist or medical practitioner. Excellent!
    - Centrelink also only needs the letter, but if you want an X they won't actually change your gender to that, just 'make a note on your record'. Okay that's a bit weird.
    - Medicare is part of the same department as Centrelink, so it's the same there. Actually a bit shit because it's healtcare related

The Federal agencies should have X as a standard option, unless it's medically necessary.
    I thought there was legislation passed requiring sex be switched to X on request...

Yes, for some federal agencies you can get it switched to X on request (with a supporting document). The Department of Human Resources is a weird exception for some reason

state stuff just seems completely inconsistent

As someone who is literally part of a multi-million project to make it so that gender can be recorded as something other than M or F in the state sector, getting systems to work together on this is hugely more complicated than most people realise. We literally have more than 20 different software systems, all of varying technology, age, support, in-house, contracted, internal, external, reporting, just talking to just one of our core management systems. We have more than one core system. And literally dozens of smaller systems.

Ideally there would be an All-of-Government initiative to set the standard, but that is both politically noisy and very expensive, both things that politicians despise so actually beyond the expense of making a change to all these systems, you still have to come up with a set of standards which itself requires taking in a massive nationwide call for consultation and engagement with interest groups on both sides of the gender divide, medical, social and political perspectives, just to work out what your solution to offering more than the standard M/F might look like.

And there's not just an easy simple 'just make it so there's another gender' solution. You have to go through your policies and systems and work out what implications of that are and whether you need to make changes. When you're looking for emergency housing for someone, and there's a vacancy at a Women's Refuge with an gender restriction because it's a safe space for abuse victims - what does that mean for new genders? Will placing someone there be traumatically triggering for them? For anyone else? I'm not saying that these questions can't be answered or solved, but they do have to be asked and thought about when redesigning your systems. And there's hundreds of these issues to be looked at and worked through.

Doing it right is massive. And complex. And nuanced. And difficult. And you really want to get it right, because it's the right thing to do.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hey, it's getting a bit close to PAX and i'm only now just getting my stuff together for PAX.

Anyone want to go in on some shared accomodation/airbnb?

I'm probably looking at arriving Thursday, leaving Monday.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out if I can afford to go for the whole of MIGW and get to the conference as well, or if it'll just be PAX.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Apparently there's like 280 3 day passes left if anyone doesn't have one and wants one.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    My sister's coworker died after getting hit by a tree and now all the newspapers are saying things like "Women killed by falling tree remembered" and it's like, I guess that's her name now.

tynic on
    Hope everyone in the sydney CBD is ok

Seems like someone was running around with a kitchen knife

• KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Until he got chair’d

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So we should have received the Pax passes by mail by now right?

I don't think so - mailout deadline is the 22nd of this month so I'm thinking they've not started posting them yet.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, from memory mail out is way closer to the date.

• AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    I think they usually start arriving around the second half of September

yoooo I can finally talk about this now

https://www.screenwest.com.au/news-events/2019/08/screenwest-announces-100000-five-interactive-projects/

My team got a grant from screenwest for a game project!

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Nice work mate!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Ok, so i'm probably going to try and get an airbnb in the melbourne cbd for myself and a friend this week. If anyone is also looking to go in one something, we'll definitely be up for it.

Lalabox wrote: »
    Ok, so i'm probably going to try and get an airbnb in the melbourne cbd for myself and a friend this week. If anyone is also looking to go in one something, we'll definitely be up for it.

lemme figure out how long I'm going over for and I'll let you know, might see if I can find somewhere to crash for the conference and come join you for the pax bit

ah dang, looks like my friend is gonna be staying somewhere else

i'm still up for sharing a place, but i might also just end up just getting a hostel bed.

edited August 2019
    Lalabox wrote: »
    ah dang, looks like my friend is gonna be staying somewhere else

i'm still up for sharing a place, but i might also just end up just getting a hostel bed.

I was having a poke around at hostels the other day and there's some pretty close to the convention centre that have 2 person rooms are reasonable prices, could look into that

also I just talked to some dev friends who are going for the conference and they have a spare bed for the first part of the week, til the thursday night, so if you're coming down on thursday that's pretty much perfect. I can just shift over to a different place with you then

Anzekay on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Is anyone keen for going to 3 ravens brewery while we are there? It's only open Thursday to Sunday, and has limited food (but apparently food trucks) and is also a bit of a trip to get to. (I am really selling this place aren't I?)

The beer is good though!

Blake T wrote: »
    Is anyone keen for going to 3 ravens brewery while we are there? It's only open Thursday to Sunday, and has limited food (but apparently food trucks) and is also a bit of a trip to get to. (I am really selling this place aren't I?)

The beer is good though!

I am not against this plan.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Okay so the group dinner is gonna have to be budget-friendly first (to be inclusive!) and possibly comfort-based second, unfortunately.

Which means the Stomping Ground again! I will E-mail them tomorrow to try to grab a low table against a wall or something, purely because that middle table is just extra loud.

I'm picking Saturday night, cuz that's the night that most folks seem to be around.

Can people please @ me to confirm/deny their attendance for this dinner? Right now I have the following numbers:
    @Pimento + 2
    @Veldrin + 1
    Me
    Blake
    @Cobalt60
    @chrishallett83 + 1
    @Kelor (I think you said you aren't available on Saturday night? Thought I'd include you until advised otherwise)
    @Lalabox
    @Lost Salient
    @Anzekay
    @SorC + 1 (given it's the Saturday)
    @Awko + 1

It is 100% okay if you want to withdraw your name because of the location. I totally understand it's not ideal (it isn't for me, either, tbh, but I also don't like making people pay more), so there are no hard feelings at all if it's not for you.

Others that I'm still waiting for a confirmation either way include:
    @Flay
    @Cokebotle

Thanks guys! I'm booking this early so that we get our pick of tables... it shouldn't be too bad this year since it's not also Melbourne Cup weekend, but we're just making sure!

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Yah mo' be there.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Y'all know Officeworks has function rooms we can reserve, and Subway does catering, right? Fucken LUSH!

@Vivixenne Amy and I will be there!

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I went to put it in my calendar and realised that Saturday 12th October is the day of a friend’s wedding, so I won’t be able to make the dinner unfortunately.
    If there are dinners or brunches in other days I should be able to make a couple of those though.

@Vivixenne yep will be there

I went to put it in my calendar and realised that Saturday 12th October is the day of a friend’s wedding, so I won’t be able to make the dinner unfortunately.
    If there are dinners or brunches in other days I should be able to make a couple of those though.

Well there definitely will be stuff on other days now. I'm sure there'll be Sichuan on the sunday night, for one thing.. and brunch at that place on another day, and maybe a brewery visit if we organise it, and...

Yea.

@Vivixenne I am confrimed there with at least +1, waiting to hear back from the other.

• SorCSorC Registered User regular
    @Vivixenne we're confirmed.

11776-1.png
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Hello Australia thread, I'm moving to Perth for work! so hopefully be able to reconnect with peeps!

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    All the cool kids are moving to Auckland now!

Also, hi team! I tried to go to bed early at like 8pm and get a good night's rest. I ended up waking up at 1am instead :|

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    All the cool kids are moving to Auckland now!

Also, hi team! I tried to go to bed early at like 8pm and get a good night's rest. I ended up waking up at 1am instead :|

They are? I only know one cool person who's moved to Auckland, she married some daggy bloke from W.A. and took him with her.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So tonight my wife is having the official launch of her mayoral/city council campaign and she's holding it at a kids playcenter.

I haven't really posted about her political run much and I'm not putting this here because I expect anyone to be able to attend or vote, but because sometimes the amount of sheer awesome and increadibleness that is my wife can't help but bubble through my otherwise impassive emotional stoic and cynical facade and I can't help but boast a little. A campaign launch at a kids playcenter!

Seriously I think my wife is pretty amazing and also the next couple months are going to be pretty fucking manic.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    @Vivixenne

I'm in and most likely with a +1

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh wow, that's really fantastic @Fishman

Best of luck to her!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Totally good luck, Jen!

I mean, we can't vote down there, but I wish her luck!

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    i have some questions about the NBN, for those of you who've gone through it before - specifically HFC through iinet. we just got it set up today

- the nbn dude plugged the black nbn hfc box into the iinet modem/router's LAN1 port, and left, saying it'd take time to register. the internet immediately worked when i swapped it to WAN, but i'm wondering if there was something i'm not aware of and he actually knew what he was doing. the box of the modem cryptically states: "As a backup, the WAN port accepts the connections from cable or fiber modem via Ethernet cable." wtf does 'as a backup' mean? i'm also doubting myself because...
    - the internet speed is eerily identical to what was on naked dsl, where our phoneline was literally 4 exposed copper wires that ran through the trees in our front yard before getting jammed into the top of a telstra manhole. 11mbps down, 0.84 up. that upload speed is especially depressing me. is it likely that since we're still with iinet (and our toolbox states we're on an old naked dsl plan still), the bandwidth is still being shaped based on that plan/technology? surely HFC NBN is not that bad?

allay my fears before i make a fool of myself and post on whirlpool.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    My HFC took at least some hours to come on. E: Instanty after install I think is pretty unlikely, I believe there is a fair bit of propagation delay for adding your 'account' (for some concept of account) to reach the node near your house.

Disclaimer: I am just some guy.

To ask the obvious question you don't still have the phone cable for ADSL plugged into your router do you?
    I'd expect better from HFC in inner-ish Sydney(?). Although I guess that might depend what advertised speed you paid for.
    I'm inner west, I pay for 50/20 and I think I get 44/17

stimtokolos on
    edited August 2019
    it's a new premises for us, so there's not still anything connected. NBN was hooked up here previously, but the last tenant took the box with them so we had to wait for a technician to bring a new one. i believe we'll be on the NBN50 (advertised as 42mb/s) plan, but again, their system thinks we're still on a cheaper naked dsl plan. i'm just hoping that's the hitch

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Generally with home modem/routers, the WAN port is what should be used for connecting an external modem to. The 'as a backup' thing sounds like they mean as an alternative to DSL, presuming that's a DSL modem/router. I'd suggest that there would be a configuration change in the thing to make it work via WAN port, but if you have internet already then it seems like it should already be fine.. though those speeds are pretty dismal. If it's still doing like this tomorrow / when toolbox shows the correct plan, probably best to give them a call.. and mention the LAN1 port as well, cos that sounds like the tech was being lazy/blind/wasn't trained sufficiently.

On the other hand, it could also be that the codes haven't been applied properly somewhere yet and a defaulting to the 12/1 speed. So again, I'd probably wait until the toolbox is updated and/or you get an SMS from them saying that it should all be set up already.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Disclaimer: my knowledge is based on the NZ fibre connections and not NBN.

Most likely what is happening is that the physical work is done, but the backend system needs to push through.

Over here our techs will finish the install and sign off the job, but the network providers automation takes a few hours to complete the job (sometimes even 24 hours). And if your account on your ISP is still showing as DSL, either to the Automation not completing, or the ISP not updating their end, you're likely still being clocked on the lower speeds.

I'd give it until tomorrow morning. If it's not fixed by then, contact your ISP.

yeah. the 12/1 default ADSL & cheapie NBN plan matches what i'm seeing so that bodes well

thanks peeps!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.