As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Quick note: I'm pretty sure the killdryer is actually a washing machine. That looks like a hose below it, (admittedly, it could still be a condensation dryer) and a washing machine without a dryer is much more common around the world than the opposite.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I think it's one of those 2 in 1 washer/dryers. They are pretty popular over in Europe. One of my friends bought one. He says they kind of suck but are the best option if you have extremely limited space.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I think it's one of those 2 in 1 washer/dryers. They are pretty popular over in Europe. One of my friends bought one. He says they kind of suck but are the best option if you have extremely limited space.

Checks out

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Also reasonable.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Nothing like taking your clean clothes out of the washer/dryer and dropping them right in the toilet.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My Samsung washer is at 2 years now without any problems. So ymmv

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    When my fridge dies I am going to blame everyone in here.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Nothing like taking your clean clothes out of the washer/dryer and dropping them right in the toilet.

But you'd put the toilet seat lid down and set the washing basket on top of that, surely?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It looks like you'd have to stand on the toilet lid just to reach the controls.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

But you'd put the toilet seat lid down and set the washing basket on top of that, surely?

But you'd never put your washer/dryer directly above a toilet, surely?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That's a hell of a way to die. A wash machine fell on my head while I was taking a dump.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

Yeah I have to walk 12 steps to do that now
    That's a hell of a way to die. A wash machine fell on my head while I was taking a dump.

And then Beeblebrox’s ship made it half way across the universe

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Dangit. Pulled up the rug in my dining room to deep clean the hardwood floor. Turns out the non slip pad has left a distinct, very noticeable waffle pattern on the hardwood, and no amount of cleaning is getting it out. The rug is just going back over the top in the short term (sans slip pad), so not a huge deal today, but now I get to look forward to dealing with that at some point. If I can hold out long enough I can just fix it when I refinish all the hardwood...yeah, that's the ticket.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Dangit. Pulled up the rug in my dining room to deep clean the hardwood floor. Turns out the non slip pad has left a distinct, very noticeable waffle pattern on the hardwood, and no amount of cleaning is getting it out. The rug is just going back over the top in the short term (sans slip pad), so not a huge deal today, but now I get to look forward to dealing with that at some point. If I can hold out long enough I can just fix it when I refinish all the hardwood...yeah, that's the ticket.

HGTV/DIY have made me believe that refinishing hardwood floors is orgasmic so

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

HGTV/DIY have made me believe that refinishing hardwood floors is orgasmic so

It's awesome for about five minutes until your wrists start to hurt from the vibration.

So it's like pressure washing. Or using a vibrator, but without the release.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Everything I've read about refinishing hardwood floors is to just pay a pro to do it. It will take you approximately a year to do it with a hand sander, and if you rent a proper floor sander, you have to have really good technique or you can put huge ugly gouges in the floor that make it very uneven. Beyond that, it makes a large portion of the house inaccessible for however long your working on it in your spare time after work (weeks?). Or you can just pay a pro to finish it in 2-3 days and have it look brand new.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    As someone who had floors refinished by decidedly NOT an expert, I strongly recommend hiring someone to do it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Everything I've read about refinishing hardwood floors is to just pay a pro to do it. It will take you approximately a year to do it with a hand sander, and if you rent a proper floor sander, you have to have really good technique or you can put huge ugly gouges in the floor that make it very uneven. Beyond that, it makes a large portion of the house inaccessible for however long your working on it in your spare time after work (weeks?). Or you can just pay a pro to finish it in 2-3 days and have it look brand new.

Also you're going to have to cover everything in your house that you can't remove from whatever room you're working on. Like TVs and shelves that are mounted on the wall. It's a big pain in the ass.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    They (the pros) do have "sandless" options. We used them in our precious house. I could tell in some spots where the machine they used left swirl marks, but overall they did a great job.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've done plumbing, electrical, interior and exterior painting, framing, drywall, you name it.

The two things I will hire people 100% for are hardwood flooring and roofing.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Also you're going to have to cover everything in your house that you can't remove from whatever room you're working on. Like TVs and shelves that are mounted on the wall. It's a big pain in the ass.

My mom is bad about doing home projects and taking forever to do them and just leaving the house a mess for like years at a time. She refinished the floors about a year ago and didn't cover much stuff up, sooo, most of our stuff has a thin layer of wood dust on it now. Would not recommend.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This weekend was a bit more expensive than I thought, as I wound up speeding up a planned upgrade and got an A/V receiver I'd been eyeing for some time. I've kludged it to work with our soundbar for the time being, but I'm now keeping an eye out for a solid set of 5.1 speakers to install.

That said, the upgrade that forced the decision - putting a cable conduit behind the wall - came out well, and the TV looks amazing with all the cables now hid in the wall. Need to finish the console that will go under it now, and the living room will be complete.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I am inordinately proud of this. :D

Four-corner shots:
    37pfwi3hu3qi.jpg2osl898xc14c.jpg
    kmjp4zwgtxfh.jpghz4xv2mspdb1.jpg

... turned into ...
    axxh14ddfcic.jpg43h8ahhx3juk.jpg
    lgbc2qtoa71q.jpgprcfwf8t8rw7.jpg

Behr Platinum in Eggshell

... so we could install ...
    rbq2694nfwms.jpg8xbqdmnzo3zz.jpg

... which is naturally there to hold ...
    rlfu22y02wvb.jpg57iyj0gf0ai5.jpg

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Dang, can I come over to play some games?

• Options
    Are those Billys?

They’re like perfectly sized for your game boxes

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Are those Billys?

They’re like perfectly sized for your game boxes

Looks like a 5x5 Kallax to me :P

I've got two of those waiting to be assembled in the basement of our new house, once we get more essential unpacking and assembly done. Then I can build, fill, and gaze upon my wall of shame and despair.

• Options
    Oh yeah good call

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    So I'm sure no one has had to deal with this issue, just kinda looking to vent.

House was built in the late 60s, had an addition across the whole back side of the house in the late 70s. Its split into 3 sections, one large second living room/family room, an enclosed room with a hot tub(god knows why they would do this), then a sun room with a fireplace.

The living room has a 15ish foot vaulted ceiling, but the roof over the sauna and sun room is flat. So they put that rubber shit down and tarred it all over. The rest of my roof is in ok'ish shape, but all the snow we got here put a ton of weight on the flat roof and eventually pulled the rubber away from the edge of the roof.

So when the snow melted finally it got under the rubber. I noticed this and just bit the bullet and paid half up front for an all metal roof and for the roofer to build a 4 foot pitch where the flat spot is.

This was Jan 10th, it's now August 13th and I'm still waiting for this fucking guy to start.

He came by the house and pulled the tarp off my roof and asked me to come up and see all my headers that are now rotted and need replaced. He wants another grand for that.

Oh then it poured today and since he ripped my tarp off more water got under the rubber.

My brother recommended this guy as he is a person he has done business with a few times.

I've stayed calm about this for to long I think, I may have hit my breaking point, but if I demand my money back. I have to find another roofer that isn't booked out past October...if I even get my money back from this ass hat.

Thanks for letting me vent!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    First: an enclosed space for a fucking hot tub?
    Second: 8 months to start work! I wouldn't even wait that long for my own father. That is an unacceptably long time and I'd tell the guy to start in a week or he's going to small claims.

I know you just wanted to vent but from my perspective you basically just loaned / gave this guy money for nothing.
    Also, I'm not sure if this will rip open a can of worms but is there a written contract with costs, work being performed, permits that will be pulled etc...?

• Options
    Definitely a fuck tub.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I am inordinately proud of this. :D

Four-corner shots:
    37pfwi3hu3qi.jpg2osl898xc14c.jpg
    kmjp4zwgtxfh.jpghz4xv2mspdb1.jpg

... turned into ...
    axxh14ddfcic.jpg43h8ahhx3juk.jpg
    lgbc2qtoa71q.jpgprcfwf8t8rw7.jpg

Behr Platinum in Eggshell

... so we could install ...
    rbq2694nfwms.jpg8xbqdmnzo3zz.jpg

... which is naturally there to hold ...
    rlfu22y02wvb.jpg57iyj0gf0ai5.jpg

Woah are you me? We just painted the entire upstairs from a yellow to a gray and I love it so much.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    We had ~50 people look at the house last weekend, no offers. Apparently the 1 bath is holding people back right now.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    We had ~50 people look at the house last weekend, no offers. Apparently the 1 bath is holding people back right now.

Are you am outlier in your area, it is that somewhat common? If you're priced appropriate, there's not much to do except wait for the right buyer. Older folks, young single starting out?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

Are you am outlier in your area, it is that somewhat common? If you're priced appropriate, there's not much to do except wait for the right buyer. Older folks, young single starting out?

It's not much of an outlier for the buildtime of the house. If anything we're underpriced for the area with the bathroom fact being the main reason.

It's an expensive 'burb with a very good school district. It would be perfect for someone trying to upgrade from a condo or downgrade from a mcmansion in the valley. But not great for someone with 4 kids.

There is enough sqft to push the kitchen and add a second bath at some point in the future, but that didn't seem to get through.

It hasn't even been on the market for a week yet so I'm not worried...yet.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Second: 8 months to start work! I wouldn't even wait that long for my own father. That is an unacceptably long time and I'd tell the guy to start in a week or he's going to small claims.

I know you just wanted to vent but from my perspective you basically just loaned / gave this guy money for nothing.
    Also, I'm not sure if this will rip open a can of worms but is there a written contract with costs, work being performed, permits that will be pulled etc...?

Yea, I threatened him with a lawyer last week. That's the only reason he showed up for 10 minutes I think.

There is some amish roofers doing work on my neighbor's hose this morning. About to walk over there and talk with them.

I do have a contract with him and not sure if he has pulled his permits yet.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The fiance and I are looking to build a gaming room in what it now a poorly appropriated office. Can anyone offer recommendations for low cost desks or counter material for building a his/hers desktop PC gaming station?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »

Yea, I threatened him with a lawyer last week. That's the only reason he showed up for 10 minutes I think.

There is some amish roofers doing work on my neighbor's hose this morning. About to walk over there and talk with them.

What does the contract say about cancellation?

At the least, you may be able to use the Amish to pressure your roofer's schedule. It's also never a bad thing to get another quote.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    The fiance and I are looking to build a gaming room in what it now a poorly appropriated office. Can anyone offer recommendations for low cost desks or counter material for building a his/hers desktop PC gaming station?

Check Ikea countertops. Ikea also takes their countertop material and adds spots for screw-in legs, that they sell as desktops. The downside is those configurations don't come with drawers/storage, so you'll need to add your own.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »

Surely the contract has some stipulations as to time to complete and some outs of there are additional costs that you don't agree to?
    Given the time and you seem to have lost confidence in the guy I'd pull the parachute and get out of there for as cheap as you can and move on.

Unless you can convince him to start work immediately.

• Options
    Yeah I will be pulling the plug today on him.

BTW here is that indoor hot tub room. Its off of the extra family room.
    at1kp2uyaxay.jpg
    fz1pn5tkj50r.jpg

As for it being a sex room. The wifey and I have used it as such a couple of times, but honestly this thing gets used like twice a year.

I really want to rip it out and open up the back of the house from the family room to the sun room with the fireplace. It would give my kitchen a few extra feet in width too.

― John Quincy Adams
This discussion has been closed.