As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    New video of that grandpa cat I posted about a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNeWZMzoCA

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    New video of that grandpa cat I posted about a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNeWZMzoCA
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=46fKmI9sVaE

Wrong thread obvs but I'm leaving it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think my brain is broken because every time the Cardassians show up I have the urge to make some kind of stupid “Keeping Up With The Cardassians” joke

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So I got to the episode where an entire colony gets wiped out, saved two survivors and it turns out that one of them is a god-like alien who was living on the colony as a human, but when a race known as the Husnock killed the colony (including his wife), he, in a moment of insane grief, wiped out all 50 billion of them.

Seems like that could be a plot thread that could be followed up on; a space empire of 50 billion with interstellar warships capable of wiping out colonies, that suddenly vanished overnight, potentially leaving an entire civilization's worth of inhabitable worlds and technology, open for the taking. Like, you'd expect a massive territory grab on the parts of any bordering civilizations.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    So I got to the episode where an entire colony gets wiped out, saved two survivors and it turns out that one of them is a god-like alien who was living on the colony as a human, but when a race known as the Husnock killed the colony (including his wife), he, in a moment of insane grief, wiped out all 50 billion of them.

Seems like that could be a plot thread that could be followed up on; a space empire of 50 billion with interstellar warships capable of wiping out colonies, that suddenly vanished overnight, potentially leaving an entire civilization's worth of inhabitable worlds and technology, open for the taking. Like, you'd expect a massive territory grab on the parts of any bordering civilizations.

Well, that's like, 5 planets. And wasn't the colony they wiped out basically undefended (with one notable exception)? I bet most Star Trek warships could handle that.

(I bet "accidentally pissed off a god" ends up on the tombstone of a lot of past empires in Star Trek.)

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I suspect the order of failed civilizations in Star Trek goes like this

-The gods of RNG deemed you were fucked before you could leave your rock through no fault of your own or that of another intelligent species.
    -Destroyed themselves either through war or a badly planned science project.
    -Got wiped out by a more advance civilization that takes no prisoners because one or both of them was a massive asshole.
    -Pissed off an alien entity that might as well been a god.
    -Died to a freak accident that was really the fault of another intelligent species. Either it was a science project that went bad or a stray weapons fire.
    -Were assimilated by the Borg.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Don't forget "doomed by RNG death that was actually preventable by another civilization, but that civilization had dumbass noninterference rules that say it's more important for you all to die from random events than have a chance to die from non-random stupidity."

Mill wrote: »

-The gods of RNG deemed you were fucked before you could leave your rock through no fault of your own or that of another intelligent species.
    -Got wiped out by a more advance civilization that takes no prisoners because one or both of them was a massive asshole.
    -Died to a freak accident that was really the fault of another intelligent species. Either it was a science project that went bad or a stray weapons fire.

-Had a curable disease but Archer and Phlox decided to let them die

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

I’m sure I should be enjoying the TNG series finale but mostly I’m just confused and annoyed

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

He probably vaporized all their stuff too. And Star Trek is littered with uninhibited nice planets so empty planets isn't that cool

knitdan wrote: »
    I’m sure I should be enjoying the TNG series finale but mostly I’m just confused and annoyed

There’s just so much hand-wavy bullshit and Q being super-cryptic for no reason other than it’s not the end of the episode and that would be too easy.

Dang, how long does the DS9 intro go on? It feels at least twice as long as TNG’s.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    They needed extra time to try and contain Avery Brooks.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    We're now 2-3 posts from our fandoms asking once again:

(Don't open if you value your sanity, your dignity, or your human decency)
    Could the Enterprise's shield's stop the Death Star's beam?

That depends, are we in a Star Wars movie or a Star Trek movie?

Stargate

"All we have to do is position a stargate in orbit then dial another gate we position around Mars, so the superlaser goes through our gate, out the other, and across the solar system to hit the Death Star in the back."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I dunno, beam seems kinda wide. Might need an Ori supergate.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Stargate

"All we have to do is position a stargate in orbit then dial another gate we position around Mars, so the superlaser goes through our gate, out the other, and across the solar system to hit the Death Star in the back."

And then Jack would wonder why they don't just beam a bunch of nukes on board.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

Stargate

And then Jack would wonder why they don't just beam a bunch of nukes on board.

That was more Sheppard's thing.

I was just wondering why they didn't respond to having their beam-the-nukes-aboard strategy blocked by just adopting a beam-the-nukes-directly-in-front-of-the-ships strategy.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Penultimate episode of Disco S2. It’s almost entirely a series of emotional goodbyes and it’s kind of exhausting. After the fifth I kind of want someone to straighten their tunic and mutter that’ll be the day before just getting on with it.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Penultimate episode of Disco S2. It’s almost entirely a series of emotional goodbyes and it’s kind of exhausting. After the fifth I kind of want someone to straighten their tunic and mutter that’ll be the day before just getting on with it.

That's the episode where it's most obvious they had blown their entire budget way too early. It's just complete filler.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Finished the season. Spoilery thoughts.
    I dunno what Bryan Fuller's original conception of the show was, but it seems clear the show has spent two seasons divorcing itself from it and then writing itself out of continuity almost entirely. No one at Starfleet is ever to mention this show existed! It feels like a problem entirely of its own making.

Anyway, the last episode was better, but still dumb enough in places to be frustrating. If killing Leland disabled all the ships why bother going into the future? Control was dead.

You couldn't tie a belt to the manual door lever and give it a yank from the doorway to stop the Admiral from killing herself? And the blast that would have destroyed half the ship was contained by a door with a window in it? That felt as dumb as Superman's dad dying in a tornado.

Spock was, by the end, pretty annoying. He always felt moments away from a smirk rather than a raised eyebrow, and the show's insistence on making this the pivotal moment of his life complete with Michael telling him to buddy up with Kirk felt like something the Star Wars EU would do. Oh, this is why he's called Solo, thanks, I hate it.

The show was at its worst when it tried to be cool. Yum yum, Hamlet, hell yeah, Spock being snarky. Stuff like that was incredibly annoying, and it felt like the characters regressing into childish action movie banter.

On the plus side, Pike was great, the production values were superb, Saru was excellent, Jet was competent, unflappable and acted more like a Starfleet office than just about everybody. Burnham was both acted beautifully and frustrating at almost every turn. Both hyper competent and repeatedly prone to screwing everything up by acting emotionally, she was all over the damn place and I couldn't get a bead on her the whole way through.

Also the whole last ten minutes of the show was about the Enterprise, and not the Discovery. Unsatisfying!

It was ... OK. Not great, maybe not even good, and I don't think the writers really ever decided how to write a Star Trek show for modern TV beyond making it basically one story, inserting speeches about love and tearful goodbyes into what felt like every episode and going heavy on the fan service.

Michelle Yeoh was also good. The one character from whom sarcasm and spite was justified and enjoyable.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    How did you like Pike?

I would love to see a show with Anson Mount's Pike. Just because we know how it ends for Spock and Pike doesn't mean you can't have stories for the rest of the crew. Like Number One, what happened to her?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    You like Pike, I like Pike, everybody likes Pike (for president)!

Honestly I'm feeling optimistic about the idea of having some Not Prequels for the first time since Nemesis.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

-Had a curable disease but Archer and Phlox decided to let them die

-We developed this snazy thing to help us defeat an enemy only to have that thing turn on us.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I think Pike was well played but while the character was fun I wouldn’t say he was stand-out as far as characters on the show go (there are a lot of really good ones), I think the reason everyone loved him so much is he’s basically Star Fleet Ethos: the Character, which is what we all feel like we’ve been missing out on.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I think my brain is broken because every time the Cardassians show up I have the urge to make some kind of stupid “Keeping Up With The Cardassians” joke

Ha ha, when the Kardashians first started appearing on TV, that was of course the first thing I thought of and couldn't stop thinking of.

Anyway we're not alone, someone even made art of it:

67CBdgN.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Ah yes, the famous war criminal Kim Cardassian

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Honestly, I always wondered if the Cardassians were named after Robert Kardashian, who was a big Hollywood lawyer at the time. Even if it wasn't deliberate, someone could have overheard the name at work one day.

rRwz9.gif
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    ui3i275fekv1.png

did you just

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Out of curiosity, what does it take to get into the writer’s room for a show like Star Trek?

Like is throwing spec scripts at them just a waste of time unless you already have something of a name or do they fill in the gaps with B-plots from random grognards from time to time?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

That's the episode where it's most obvious they had blown their entire budget way too early. It's just complete filler.

and/or, the place where they stacked all the filler that was missing from the rest of the season.
    Maybe if they'd stopped to breathe a little along the way, eh?

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Finished the season. Spoilery thoughts.
    I dunno what Bryan Fuller's original conception of the show was, but it seems clear the show has spent two seasons divorcing itself from it and then writing itself out of continuity almost entirely. No one at Starfleet is ever to mention this show existed! It feels like a problem entirely of its own making.

Anyway, the last episode was better, but still dumb enough in places to be frustrating. If killing Leland disabled all the ships why bother going into the future? Control was dead.

You couldn't tie a belt to the manual door lever and give it a yank from the doorway to stop the Admiral from killing herself? And the blast that would have destroyed half the ship was contained by a door with a window in it? That felt as dumb as Superman's dad dying in a tornado.

Spock was, by the end, pretty annoying. He always felt moments away from a smirk rather than a raised eyebrow, and the show's insistence on making this the pivotal moment of his life complete with Michael telling him to buddy up with Kirk felt like something the Star Wars EU would do. Oh, this is why he's called Solo, thanks, I hate it.

The show was at its worst when it tried to be cool. Yum yum, Hamlet, hell yeah, Spock being snarky. Stuff like that was incredibly annoying, and it felt like the characters regressing into childish action movie banter.

On the plus side, Pike was great, the production values were superb, Saru was excellent, Jet was competent, unflappable and acted more like a Starfleet office than just about everybody. Burnham was both acted beautifully and frustrating at almost every turn. Both hyper competent and repeatedly prone to screwing everything up by acting emotionally, she was all over the damn place and I couldn't get a bead on her the whole way through.

Also the whole last ten minutes of the show was about the Enterprise, and not the Discovery. Unsatisfying!

It was ... OK. Not great, maybe not even good, and I don't think the writers really ever decided how to write a Star Trek show for modern TV beyond making it basically one story, inserting speeches about love and tearful goodbyes into what felt like every episode and going heavy on the fan service.

I think Michael is the worst regular on the show. Which is sad, because Sonequa Martin-Green really seems to be giving it her all. But the writing and direction for her is just... Bad. Like really bad.

I'm sure it's intentional (which makes it worse), but she seems like she's always on the verge of a breakdown, and that her go-to move of playing Vulcan is her way of avoiding facing whatever it is that's affecting her. That her character arc is "she's broken, but will slowly fix herself by embracing her humanity." Which is just... Ugh. It's hard for me to find her entertaining to watch. If I can see how emotionally volatile she is, why can't Starfleet? How did she make it to bridge officer with all of this unresolved baggage? And why isn't she getting therapy?

And it's frustrating because it's not like other characters haven't gone through stuff. Stammets, in particular, has been through the ringer. But the other characters tend to handle it the way I'd expect Starfleet officers to handle things.

One of the big appeals of Trek for me is that it's largely about competent people who mostly have their shit together exploring the galaxy. If I wanted to watch broken people stumble around and otherwise wallow in their brokenness I'd watch other so-called prestige TV.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Data is so strong, but his arms pop off so easily.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Are the Cardassians supposed to be reptillian?

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

i don't think they lay eggs... so no?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I've heard it suggested that they might have evolved from something like our own proto-mammals (therapsids), losing fewer reptilian characteristics along the way.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

i don't think they lay eggs... so no?

They definitely like hot rocks though

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.