As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Take some [photos] and show me them

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Trying to try trying my hand at astrophotography. (Yeah, I know I'm doomed.)

Stacking's still a bit of an ordeal since my setup's untracked so far while I puzzle through the basics, but some of the single frames are coming out okay with only a little tweaking.

I need to get out to darker sites more often.

c5mt9jffaryc.jpg

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My family lives way out in rural Colorado, and out here marijuana is just growing fuckin’ everywhere

1kmfazg8p16f.jpeg

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    7n88rj8x4fho.jpeg

No fucking clue what’s going on with this McDonald’s

Edit: apparently this is one of the oldest McDonald’s and they used to have Speedy up there, but he fell off

joshofalltrades on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Ahhh, the old days when it was NcDonald's.

(Interesting that they kept the old sign despite what looks like much more recent construction.)
    My family lives way out in rural Colorado, and out here marijuana is just growing fuckin’ everywhere

They recently legalized cannabis in Canada, including (with some restrictions) home/backyard growing, and people around here are finding that nearly impossible to do because everyone's plants get stolen the moment their back is turned. I can't wrap my head around a field that size just sitting by a road and not getting regularly looted..

• Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    All the other signs on the street are much shorter.

My guess is there is a city/county sign height restriction that would apply if they replaced the sign.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I assume it's in St Louis

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Ahhh, the old days when it was NcDonald's.

(Interesting that they kept the old sign despite what looks like much more recent construction.)

They recently legalized cannabis in Canada, including (with some restrictions) home/backyard growing, and people around here are finding that nearly impossible to do because everyone's plants get stolen the moment their back is turned. I can't wrap my head around a field that size just sitting by a road and not getting regularly looted..

It’s wayyyyy off the beaten path. You would have to drive around for a long time before you found it, and the people who own these properties also own guns. Lots of them.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This isn't a photo, it's a screenshot from a review of the harvour boat service we nearly hired yesterday (but backed out due to the owner being an hour late and shouting at us down the phone). Looks like we dodged a bullet!

5a6a5yqm74dv.jpg

(Pretty sure we actually saw this group waiting on the dock near us before we gave up).

I bet he’s fun at parties.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Trying to try trying my hand at astrophotography. (Yeah, I know I'm doomed.)

Stacking's still a bit of an ordeal since my setup's untracked so far while I puzzle through the basics, but some of the single frames are coming out okay with only a little tweaking.

I need to get out to darker sites more often.

[*snip*]

Good luck!
    I really enjoy Astral photography. Even though dark skies are great, I've found that there can still be some great hidden opportunities even in light polluted areas; if you can contrast a foreground framing you can compose some great shots to the night sky, and related techniques like light painting or shooting ice pillars almost requires it.

When I was first starting out in 2010, I took the panorama of the southern sky
    Last year, I did this
    Here's the trick: those are the literally the same photographs I took in 2010. Last year I just revisited my old photos and re-edited them with newer, better software, but mostly it's just a result of how much more I know now and how all the things I've learned have improved my output. In theory, I hope my technical skills at taking photos have also improved, but in revisiting my old pictures I'm encouraged that even some of the very first shots I took are still pretty decent photos. That said, I still would like to get out and practice more than I currently do!

Anyway, I really like astrophotography and find it really rewarding so I wish you the best and hope you get something out of it too.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a link to a guide to photography? Things like light and composition, I guess would be the term? How to lay out a shot?

edited August 2019
    Thank you very much!

Also

Holy shit, it's commie cow

I wonder whatever happened to them

DouglasDanger on
    Still posting in the AC, as of last week at any rate.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    :( poor kitty.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Peas, are you posting a picture of a dead cat in here or what is going on?

I am pretty sure that is a picture of peas pet when it was alive, dude.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It's just a stray cat sleeping without a care in the world
    I am a monster I am not like a monster monster

Peas on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I climbed a mountain overnight! I took a picture of the sunrise! I have not slept for more than 24 hours!
    8nm2f0kwltom.jpg

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Might've been worth it. Amazing vista.

Yeah it was a pretty great trip. That's from the top of Mt. Fuji. It isn't a difficult climb, but oh my god was it busy. We had to queue for about two hours for the final ascent to the summit... at 2 AM. It was pretty nuts.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's some amazing cloud layer below you!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Welp something new added to the bucket list.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Climbing Mt. Fuji is on my list for my second Japan visit followed by a day or two at an onsen. I did the onsen thing without climbing the mountain last time, so I can only imagine how good it feels after it.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Climbing Mt Fuji is definitely an awesome experience. We had beautiful weather the whole way up, and got to enjoy the perseids as well.

The main things to keep in mind are the usual when hiking (bring lots of water! Bring lots of food! Bring warm clothes!) but also to not climb too fast, as the altitude is high enough to cause sickness if you ascend too quickly. We took 20 minute breaks whenever we started getting headaches/lightheaded and were fine to the top.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Climbing Mt Fuji is definitely an awesome experience. We had beautiful weather the whole way up, and got to enjoy the perseids as well.

The main things to keep in mind are the usual when hiking (bring lots of water! Bring lots of food! Bring warm clothes!) but also to not climb too fast, as the altitude is high enough to cause sickness if you ascend too quickly. We took 20 minute breaks whenever we started getting headaches/lightheaded and were fine to the top.

Ive been up to 11,000 feet before, and yea high altitude really fucks with a person. Looks like Fuji is about 1500 feet more, but I bet its a long last quarter mile or so.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Thank you very much!

Also

Holy shit, it's commie cow

I wonder whatever happened to them
    there's only room for one pinko cow in this town

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I've climbed a few volcanos in my day. Fuji is definitely taller than anything I've summited though.

Amusingly, when I was in Japan, I got up at 3am to do a night hike up Mount Ashigara/Kintoki to summit to see Mt Fuji at sunrise. It's slightly off to the right in that picture. It's not quite as involved and a lot less crowded, plus you get to look at Mount Fuji at sunrise. It was quite fun, although I probably should caution against walking a fairly deserted hiking trail on your own in the dark, guided by signs you can't see in a language you can't read on a path you've never traversed in a place you've never visited previously.

As an added bonus, when you get to the top of Mount Kintoki there's a nice little cafe hut at the summit that can serve you a hot breakfast in between ducking out and taking photos of the mountain. I'm pretty sure I just pointed randomly at the menu I couldn't read to the hostess I couldn't speak to and got served a nice broth soup of some kind.
    q8QpYax.jpg

Japan is awesome.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I’m supposed to go snowboarding in japan next year
    I should probably plan that trip sooner than later

poo
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Fishman wrote: »
    I've climbed a few volcanos in my day. Fuji is definitely taller than anything I've summited though.

Amusingly, when I was in Japan, I got up at 3am to do a night hike up Mount Ashigara/Kintoki to summit to see Mt Fuji at sunrise. It's slightly off to the right in that picture. It's not quite as involved and a lot less crowded, plus you get to look at Mount Fuji at sunrise. It was quite fun, although I probably should caution against walking a fairly deserted hiking trail on your own in the dark, guided by signs you can't see in a language you can't read on a path you've never traversed in a place you've never visited previously.

As an added bonus, when you get to the top of Mount Kintoki there's a nice little cafe hut at the summit that can serve you a hot breakfast in between ducking out and taking photos of the mountain. I'm pretty sure I just pointed randomly at the menu I couldn't read to the hostess I couldn't speak to and got served a nice broth soup of some kind.
    q8QpYax.jpg

Japan is awesome.

This is shockingly similar to when I climbed Mt. Takao last July, during an actual record-breaking heat wave. I don't recommend doing that, but the cold soba noodles at the summit were absolutely worth it.

Oh hey, found my photos.
    TaIQjG6.jpg
    I expect this is true of any mountain path anywhere in the world, but Takao was every RPG mountain section ever.

I81Psby.jpg
    A small shrine along the way.

7zYEv00.jpg
    Summit! Burned through all of my water on the ascent, so the nearby water fountains were a godsend.

xE1KwHL.jpg
    I'm told that you can see Fuji on a clear day. It wasn't, so you can't. It would be off to the right here, if you could see it.

9BlgNgE.jpg
    I climbed the old pilgrimage route, so I missed this extensive temple complex on the ascent. Poked around here a good bit. Easily my favorite temple, even better than Asakusa or Inari. This place is called Yakuou-in. A neat random place to stumbled across.

nGXOx9W.jpg
    Tengu crossing! This place had tons of tengu statues and other imagery.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
    cropped-20190812_065747-pano.jpg

Going down was pretty neat, because you were treated to views like this the first bit down. Also, you could jog the descent down pretty easily, which was fun.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The best part of the wedding was the free bar. The second best was the bit at the bottom of the garden where you could take good selfies with a lovely woodland backdrop and get enough signal to check the football results. Camwhore time!

IMG-20190810-200206.jpg

I should say I actually took the necessary photos of the view from the summit of Mt Kintoki back in 2009 but actually didn't have photostitching software at the time so never put them all together into the panorama image above until last night. So thank you @KetBra and photo thread for the inspiration to go back and revisit my old collection to put together a place I visited a decade ago and recall what I saw and experienced there that morning. :+1:

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I went to a Hindu wedding last week and got this pic of the bride with her flower girls.

3z6b01jr9i0e.jpg

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    this little one decided to hang out for a couple minutes on my leg, then my hand for a few breaths as if to say 'bye'
    my partner asked if i'm 'basically a Disney princess,' which.... well, this isn't the first time, and butterflies have also settled on me for a spell, so yeah, sure
    es3e778lzn4j.jpg
    probably some kinda daffy multiclass bard with ranger or druid, more like

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    Damselfly for the damsel

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm on holiday in the lovely rolling hills of West Yorkshire, above Todmorden valley. Dark clouds but stayed clear and dry all late morning / afternoon during a nice walk over the ridge.

IMG-20190815-153636.jpg

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    My wife went to DC for a conference last week. While she was there, she got lucky on a tour (twice!) with lightning. The first was while taking video, there was a distinct lightning bolt in the sky while looking at the Washington Monument. The second was this one, where she happened to take this pic at the exact moment the sky was lit purple by lightning in the clouds while visiting the MLK Memorial.
    ugqj3ln1o6lb.jpg

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Hey all. @IronKnuckle's Ghost pointed me over here because I had asked for camera-buying advice in the PC building thread (because I couldn't find a camera/photography thread for some reason).

Cross-posted from PC-Building thread:
    This is a little off-topic but it doesn't look like there is a dedicated camera or photography thread and it wouldn't surprise me if people in this thread know about this stuff.

We had a Canon Rebel XS (EOS 1000D) for years but it broke a couple of years ago and I've finally been told to pick a new camera. We are still very much at the beginner level so I'm not looking to go high-end. I'm looking at the Canon Rebel SL2. The things I like about it are its articulated screen and it has built-in Bluetooth, WIFI and NFC and it seems like it would be a very solid upgrade and is probably around the upper-limit of our budget.

Side-by-side comparison chart

I'm not necessarily loyal to Canon but the 50mm lens from our previous camera would also be compatible with this one (as would the kit lens though we would likely end up getting another one with this camera). Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

One other caveat is that we do have a 4K TV and the SL2 doesn't do video in 4K but I'm not convinced I can even see the difference between 1080p and 4K

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman