As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Something to look forward to:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/bridges-says-hell-run-down-queen-st-in-underpants-if-govt-starts-work-auckland-light-rail-project-before-election?auto=6067252137001
    The construction industry is calling on central and local Government to provide more certainty about future projects.

Simon Bridges has used that to criticise Labour for cancelling a number of major road projects National had in the pipeline.

He says Transport Minister Phil Tywford has vowed to have work on light rail down Auckland's Dominion Road by next year's election.

"Mate, I'll run down Queen St or Dominion Road with my underpants if they do that, because it's just not going to happen. They might do a fake start but they aren't building that any time soon," he told a construction forum in Rotorua today.

"If they don't have a business case yet, they are dreaming, it's years and years away."

Mr Twyford says that makes him more motivated.

"The public do not deserve to be exposed to that kind of spectacle," he told 1 NEWS.

Off topic but my dyslexic brain misread part of the url as "bridges-says-he'll-run-down-queen-in-street", and kept expecting to see something in the article about him going to prison.

i mean, it'd be an improvement over having him stink up the political discourse.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    A very strong endorsement of Republicanism from Bridges!

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Albo says "I have not seen any evidence of direct corruption that I've seen, that has been proven in my time when I've been in Parliament"

I dunno Albo, maybe try opening your fucking eyes at some point. FFS.

Is there a specific reason they're trying to tank the Labor Party?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Albo says "I have not seen any evidence of direct corruption that I've seen, that has been proven in my time when I've been in Parliament"

He doesn't want a Federal ICAC because Labors as corrupt as the LNP.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    -SPI- wrote: »

They saw not very leftism lose to blatantly corrupt incompetent rat-fighting, so now they're being 'pragmatic' about it.

That said, I've been listening to the acceptance speeches of the new Labor senators on ABC News Radio, and they've been appropriately leftward leaning and heartening.
    I have to wonder whether they're genuine, but I don't know who they'd be putting a show on for, as I've never seen the speeches getting airtime in the media.
    So then it makes me wonder how long until the senators calling for greater union power and corruption controls break upon the shores of pragmatism.
    I hope their fire doesn't die though.

discrider on
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Man, I know it's pretty early days but it really seems like Albo is Labor's Turnbull. We all wanted him to start with, now we have him he's turned into a spineless jellyfish. I thought the man would have a bit more fire in his belly, he's been waiting in the wings for this for the last 4 years.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/major-police-operation-underway-in-sydney-cbd/news-story/0aac18728e8334f52d8bf88dd8a481f2

So... Australia had it's own attack in a public area by a lunatic, in Sydney's CBD.

Total casualty count, one dead, one seriously injured. Which shouldn't be taken lightly at all.

But it does speak to what gun control can help minimize when someone makes the decision to go on a rampage.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Makes me sick that they’ve said it wasn’t terrorism because he only had ideological material on him relating to attacks in NZ and America.

White supremacists committing terrorist acts are still fucking terrorists.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I haven't heard anything about him being a white supremacist?

It seems like he's a mentally unstable Muslim (a literal escaped mental patient) who had a unhealthy obsession with terrorist attacks and wanted to suicide by cop. He ran around screaming 'Allahu Akbar' and begging people to shoot him. Not necessarily a terrorist, just a disturbed individual.

edit- this is just what I heard on the radio soon after the attack so it may not be accurate. I'm just guessing he's a Muslim, but maybe it's a really lame false flag?

I would guess it is not being described as terrorism for the same reason the Sydney Cafe hostage crisis was not described as a terrorist attack. A lone crazed individual, cloaking their behaviour in terrorism to seem more important or frightening.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    I heard that he had white supremacist material.

Apologies if I got that wrong.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I heard that he had white supremacist material.

Apologies if I got that wrong.

BBC is reporting that
    It is believed the man had a USB drive containing details of mass killings in New Zealand and the United States.

Which could mean virtually anything and isn't exactly well sourced.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    The ABC was reporting the same thing.

I guess it could be a revenge attack, with the offending crimes being carried on the USB.
    But I definitely went for the white supremacy motive first too.

Probably not worth speculating much though.

discrider on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    His stoppage at the end of a milk crate has become truly meme worthy at least.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    thank god we don't have guns in this country or that could have been much nastier

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    thank god we don't have guns in this country or that could have been much nastier

Well, we DO have guns in this country. Significantly more than we did before the 1996 Act and the buyback, actually.

But we don't let just any yahoo buy one and leave it lying around in their living room fully loaded.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/396705/pacific-won-t-budge-on-climate-change-neither-will-australia

Climate forum is taking place in Tuvalu this time.
    It's expected a lot of the talks will be around Australia and their being stubborn about reducing emissions.
    Hopefully something will come from this, but I am not extremely optimistic.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/396705/pacific-won-t-budge-on-climate-change-neither-will-australia

Climate forum is taking place in Tuvalu this time.
    It's expected a lot of the talks will be around Australia and their being stubborn about reducing emissions.
    Hopefully something will come from this, but I am not extremely optimistic.

If anything I expect this current lot to dig their heels in even more when confronted about it.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, we have Susan Ley going for a snorkel on the Reef and declaring she saw a couple of fish so it's clearly in tip-top condition and all scientists are lying liars. We elected a bunch of self-invested arseholes who are going to do their best to fuck over both Australia and the world in order to benefit their donors, and I wish there was a practical path to stopping them.

• Options
    AHHHH

HEY AUSTRALIA WHEN POLLED YOU RANKED CLIMATE CHANGE AS A TOP PRIORITY. WHY DID YOU THEN VOTE FOR THIS CICRUS.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I don't think the core complaint the various Pacific island nations have is that climate change will bring massive unemployment. These guys.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    That is Trump-level racist shitbaggery. I'm not surprised he thinks it, but very surprised he said it.

• Options
    I was only just joking to myself that we couldn't shut down our coal industry because how else could we finance all the humanitarian efforts we're going to spend saving these people from their sinking island.
    It's in their best interest to not sink into the sea, and so we're only being magnanimous making all this dosh pulling coal out of the ground to fund a few dozen tinnies or life rafts or something.

As to the question of why they got reelected, I can only assume it's because it would have cost us something to do something.
    Otherwise we wouldn't still be squabbling over increased farming water allocations as our fish suffocate.

• Options
    I am so tired

• Options
    Pretty much the only reason I ever get the urge to return to Aus is then at least I can get involved in more direct action against this fucking government.
    How is it that every iteration of the liberal leadership gets closer to being a literal pile of human garbage.

• Options
    I think The Deputy PM just sprinkles stupid shit like this every now and then in a desperate attempt to get anyone to be able to recognize him or know his name.

It's not working.

• Options
    Gonna be honest, I'd have trouble picking him apart from ScoMo in a lineup.
    They're both extremely generic.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Pretty much the only reason I ever get the urge to return to Aus is then at least I can get involved in more direct action against this fucking government.
    How is it that every iteration of the liberal leadership gets closer to being a literal pile of human garbage.

A combination of things, I think.

An opposition party that's frankly fucking useless.
    A media that at best "both sides" the shit out of things, and often "otherizes" immigration and welfare recipients.
    A worldwide trend towards conservatism/nationalism that's frankly boggling.
    An economy that is limping by, strong enough to not force people to vote out the incumbent, but weak enough that the majority are scared of what "tax and spend" leftists will do.
    An electorate that's frankly garbage about following what the incumbent party are doing.

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/16/fiji-pm-frank-bainimarama-insulting-scott-morrison-rift-pacific-countries
    Asked if Morrison’s approach might cause some Pacific leaders to look to China, which is locked in a battle for influence in the region with Australia, Bainimarama said: “After what we went through with Morrison, nothing can be worse than him.

“China never insults the Pacific. You say it as if there’s a competition between Australia and China. There’s no competition, except to say the Chinese don’t insult us. They don’t go down and tell the world that we’ve given this much money to the Pacific islands. They don’t do that. They’re good people, definitely better than Morrison, I can tell you that.

“The prime minister was very insulting, very condescending, not good for the relationship … They [Australians] keep saying the Chinese are going to take over. Guess why?” said Bainimarama, laughing. “You don’t have to be a high-school graduate to know that.”

Whoops.

• Options
    Wee.
    Robocalls from Barnaby Joyce about abortion.
    I can only assume the utmost terribleness in light of the recent decriminalisation of abortion in NSW.
    Because I deleted the message before listening to it.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Wee.
    Robocalls from Barnaby Joyce about abortion.
    I can only assume the utmost terribleness in light of the recent decriminalisation of abortion in NSW.
    Because I deleted the message before listening to it.

Ahh, yes.

Having Barnaby Joyce as a leader on morality and family values is something that would make me take things seriously.

GTFO, Beetroot.

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FUCK

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Operation: we will never learn our lesson

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

A media that at best "both sides" the shit out of things, and often "otherizes" immigration and welfare recipients.
    An economy that is limping by, strong enough to not force people to vote out the incumbent, but weak enough that the majority are scared of what "tax and spend" leftists will do.
    An electorate that's frankly garbage about following what the incumbent party are doing.

I think the problem is that we're approaching a recession, which is scary, and climate change is *also* scary. When people are scared they tend to vote for the "safe" option (I.e, conservatives), so they're voting for the people who are causing the problem because they think they're the best party to fix the problem. And thus the current circus fire that is our government.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

I think the problem is that we're approaching a recession, which is scary, and climate change is *also* scary. When people are scared they tend to vote for the "safe" option (I.e, conservatives), so they're voting for the people who are causing the problem because they think they're the best party to fix the problem. And thus the current circus fire that is our government.

Nah
    Malcolm was eviscerated because he admitted climate change was a problem.
    The Liberal base would rather think it's not a problem at all, because the only other option would be having to do something to fix it that might force us to sacrifice something.
    Can't tax carbon.
    Can't do more environmental flows and less irrigation.
    Can't not build mines.
    Can't admit the reef is dead.
    Have to keep on the same track, and not think about the screaming scientists.

Also, tax cuts are good.
    Perhaps because wage stagnation but still.

• Options
    Because there is no problem people can't find a way to make worse:
    Irrigators pushed the lower Darling river into hydrological drought three years early by extracting 86 per cent of the water from the Barwon-Darling river system, a new report by the Australian Rivers Institute has found. Of 158 licence holders in the region, 10 irrigators control 86 per cent of the water, and four control 75 per cent - one of which, the Harris family, is facing prosecution for extracting during low flows. The report identifies sharing rules and the warming and drying of the basin as a “significant risk” in making sure there is enough water to support the river ecosystem.

full report linked here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/aug/21/big-irrigators-take-86-of-water-from-barwon-darling-report-finds

most of the land in our country is frighteningly marginal, this ... continuing active damage is sickening. i don't really have the words to describe how gutted the imminent loss of our ecosystems makes me feel.

• Options

Fucking furious. But after Hungry Jack's did this over Xmas to very little blowback, not surprising. They marketed this as giving youths real work experience, but at the end of the day it was just to give their mates free workers.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.