As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Made some mushroom risotto tonight, I've been wanting to give mushrooms a shot again after disliking them for years and avoiding them and figured a risotto has strong enough flavors to help balance out if I still don't

Turns out, still not a HUGE fan of the texture but the flavor is great. I used just plain old white mushrooms and baby portobellos. If I just chop everything very fine so I don't get any big chunks I shouldn't have any issues in future dishes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I hate self checkout. It's just making the customer do all the work that employees used to do. It's just an excuse for big companies to cut more overhead from payroll.

Yes customers say this to me all the time, usually while they are using the self checkout :/
    While it is true, supervising the self service checkout area is also the only way I can do an entire shift in the service department as I am too tall to be comfortable being on register for more than half an hour.

Also no customer is capable of hating those machines more than the people who have to work with/repair them day in day out.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I hate self checkout. It's just making the customer do all the work that employees used to do. It's just an excuse for big companies to cut more overhead from payroll.

Yes customers say this to me all the time, usually while they are using the self checkout :/
    While it is true, supervising the self service checkout area is also the only way I can do an entire shift in the service department as I am too tall to be comfortable being on register for more than half an hour.

Also no customer is capable of hating those machines more than the people who have to work with/repair them day in day out.

At least at ALDI they let the checkout operators sit down.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Decided against Portobello schnitzel tonight because I already have a whole punnet of small mushrooms which I'm worried will go manky if I don't eat them soon. So I'm going to try and make some kind of home made veggie burger instead with mushrooms and lentils.

I'm wondering if it will be all right to freeze some after making them. Should be okay shouldn't it? Or are they likely to go mushy and gross when I defrost them again?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Decided against Portobello schnitzel tonight because I already have a whole punnet of small mushrooms which I'm worried will go manky if I don't eat them soon. So I'm going to try and make some kind of home made veggie burger instead with mushrooms and lentils.

I'm wondering if it will be all right to freeze some after making them. Should be okay shouldn't it? Or are they likely to go mushy and gross when I defrost them again?

Some mushrooms can be frozen as is and be ok

are you talking those white button mushrooms you get at the store?

those probably won't hold up too well

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of chopping them up and mixing them with lentils and a few other things, cooking them, then freezing some.

• Options
    I'm thinking of chopping them up and mixing them with lentils and a few other things, cooking them, then freezing some.

oh that'd be ok. they'll break down a bit, but shouldn't be too bad

• Options
    edited August 2019
    So ended up doing homemade veggie burgers, pretty much made them up as I went along, and I'm actually really pleased with how they turned out.
    1pt3fvztb3t2.jpg

z6dvd8im8rdg.jpg

ndgqgcbu3fox.jpg

Green lentils, mushrooms, spring onions, garlic, walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh coriander, ground cumin, an egg, and a bit of couscous as a stand-in for breadcrumbs. They were a bit crumbly at the end but they tasted really good, and they were super easy to make.

Definitely going to try doing them again.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, god. Oh, no. Oh, heck.

After my stuffed sopapilla dinner party, I ended up freezing the green sauce for future enchilada adventures, then turned the taco meat and beans and about a cup of the red sauce into chili, along with half a tube of leftover tomato paste I had in the fridge and half a can of stout.

Folks, this is not only the best chili I've ever made, it's the best chili I've ever tasted. I'm pretty sure it's the Platonic chili, upon which all other bowls of chili across the multiverse have been based. It's got a real subtle and complex flavor profile that starts out real mild, but there's a burn that steadily builds over the course of the bowl and then lingers with you right at the edge between pain and pleasure for a while after you finish eating it. If I started slinging this stuff out of a food truck, I'd have a brick and mortar location and a cult following this time next year.

And the constituent parts took so much time and effort to make! I had to tie a dish towel across my face while I was simmering dried chili pods and liquefying them with an immersion blender! It took all day and two crock pots to even get to the point of having leftovers!

And the real rough shit of it all is that if I tried to make it again, I doubt I could recreate it. This is version 2.0. When I just threw the leftovers together last night it was kind of bland and disappointing. Tonight was when I added some unclear amount of tomato paste and stout and salt. So if I can recreate the improvisation of a full day of cooking leading up to a dinner party, then keeping it all warm throughout a dinner party, then two separate attempts at throwing together leftovers, I've got a fantastic, hugely labor-intensive chili recipe on my hands.

Cooking was a mistake.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Get fucked, kid.

I forgot to write down the recipient or the first chili I ever made and I’ve been trying to recreate it ever since and each time has been good but different.

Never write down your chili recipes so you can experience true regret in life like a real man, that’s what I always say.

It’s my Goddamn catchphrase.

(I am sorry.). :(

sarukun on
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

At least at ALDI they let the checkout operators sit down.
    And they don't have to do any packing or lifting of bags! That's the ergonomic dream.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I like self checkout because I hate forced conversation about my purchases, and I used to like it before everyone and their mums used it because I could be in and out in half a minute, now I gotta wait for people with carts full of groceries to get done.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    My ice cream adventures continue

made frozen yogurt with (fresh) blueberries, and it turned out too sweet for my taste. So I turned to the interwebs and looked at some data, and the average sugar content of ice cream and frozen yogurt is about 15-17%, which confirms what I assumed: that the recipe(s) I tested could use ~1/3 less sugar. And they should still be stable!
    I'll remake the frozen yogurt tomorrow, since it's a lot less work than regular ice cream.

Oh and in case you guys worry: I did not eat all that ice cream by myself (barely any since the first batch), people enjoy that shit when they come over

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    How easy is it to make frozen yogurt?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Tonight I have to make crab dip, cream of broccoli soup, tomato sauce, as well as hopefully get some black trumpet mushrooms and dehydrate a ton of sumac

busy busy day

Edit: also a squash Frittata

Xaquin on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    How easy is it to make frozen yogurt?

Well, if you got an ice cream maker (I got a really cheap one), supereasy! At least compared to ice cream, but the cream I made had custard in it, so obv a little more work-intensive.

I never tried the old-school method of manually churning the mixture in a bowl which is set in another ice-filled one or however that works, I think that'd be a nightmare

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow I am going to attempt to make my own granola.

Just trying to little by little get some of the easier plastic stuff out of the house.

Once I finish this other loaf of bread, I'm gonna try and go back to using my bread machine again.

• Options
    Tomorrow I am going to attempt to make my own granola.

Just trying to little by little get some of the easier plastic stuff out of the house.

Once I finish this other loaf of bread, I'm gonna try and go back to using my bread machine again.

Homemade granola is great!

I had the best recipe .... until I lost it

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I think I've done Alton Brown's granola recipe before that turned out pretty good.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that looks pretty close to what i'm planning.

Only no maple syrup because that stuff is expensive as fuck down here.

I've got Oats, slivered almonds, some puffed millet (?), honey, pistachios, pepitas, and then some diced apricots and dried cranberries. I might mix in some molasses with the honey as well.

• Options
    Alright! Muesli success!

Well, mostly success. It's jjjjjusssssst tilting towards the burnt side of toasted.

I used Alton's recipe, cut in half because I'm the only one eating the muesli and I don't have 2 trays and my oven is not that big anyways.

But it looks amazing and tastes pretty good! especially after mixing in the apricots and cranberries right at the end.

and it made just enough to fit into the large glass storage jar that i bought for this purpose. So that's pretty rock and roll.

• Options
    I'm making a chicken pie tonight for the fam plus a veggie substitute for myself. Was wondering if jackfruit would be good in a pie? @tynic because you made a comment about jackfruit before so I assume you're an expert and also someone I know understands the concept of a meat pie

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My only worry with jackfruit in a pie is that the moisture content might get your pastry soggy, but I haven't actually tried it ever so maybe it would be totally fine? It's probably not that much soggier than most meats.

i say DO IT AND REPORT BACK

• Options
    Yes boss! One jackfruit and mushroom pie coming up

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My wife made a "jackfruit subbed in for chicken" thing and it was surprisingly ok? Like the texture was way closer to meat than I expected and it didn't taste weird.

• Options
    Report: pie was decent. Hard to say what I thought of the jackfruit really as it was difficult to distinguish amongst the mushrooms, beans (because I'm a bean addict right now), and sauce. It definitely wasn't too wet though.

I was pretty lazy about shredding it so there were a few chunks and I'd say the texture was like slightly firmer tuna? It also looked a lot like tuna when I opened the can, which I was not expecting.

Still have half a can left so maybe I will do some BBQ pulled jackfruit with it so I can get a fairer assessment of the texture by itself.

I also had enough pie filling and pastry left over to make myself a pasty, so that's lunch tomorrow sorted.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I like self checkout because I hate forced conversation about my purchases, and I used to like it before everyone and their mums used it because I could be in and out in half a minute, now I gotta wait for people with carts full of groceries to get done.

Here's how all of my forced conversations go:

Cashier: "Oh, this looks good! What are you making?"
    Me: "Why are you talking to me?"

Person behind me: "Oh, what is that?" <points to jicama>

Cop, who pulled me over: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Wet curing salmon in a mix of australian native spices, cabernet salt and lime juice.

dwfuub5fdzrw.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Thread, I made a blackberry pie the othey day. It is all gone now.

I am thinking about making another pie. I'm not sure, because I'd be just about the only one eating it, and maybe I don't need that much pie in my life.

On the other hand, the berries in the back field are ripe now, not later. And I do like homemade blackberry pie.

What would you do?

Label on
  • Options
    Make fuckin’ pie.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I never like to shop at Walmart because they tend to only have 2 register with cashiers open to service the whole store at any given time of day. Even if there are hundreds of shoppers. You end up waiting in line for an hour. Oh and the cashiers have to bag the groceries too while Walmart pleads poverty as to the possibility of hiring baggers or more cashiers or paying the ones they have a living wage.

I agree but since I don't use plastic bags anymore since I am limited to what I can take in my backpack.

Since I got fired much of the local wal mart's workers are teens [the yellow badge} so it has that kind of rep now

• Options
    Usually prefer to leave pie until after the fucking but you do you.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Man I wish making pie would get me closer to fuckin' somebody. This had not occured to me before.

Now is despair.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Yeah I dunno if I would have the energy for fuckin after pie. After pie I usually wanna sleep.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I would like a pie or even a meat pie but it's been too hot to make them

• Options
    I’m gonna have an oven.

I’m gonna bake every thing there is to bake and braise the shit out of some meats.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My dad just brought over a few pounds of fresh picked black berries. Going to be making up a cobbler here in the next day or two!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cooking thread, our oven broke last Wednesday. Our landlord ordered a new one but it won't be here until Tuesday. We've been grilling and air frying and eating out all week.

When I get my stove/oven back Tuesday what should I make

• Options
    Make fuckin’ pie.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Piiieeee

I grilled last night for the first time in like over a year. I forgot how much grilled food is fucking delicious. Threw some adobo marinated chicken thighs and some lemon-oregano zucchini, red onion, tomato and haloumi skewers on and had it for leftovers for lunch today. A+

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
This discussion has been closed.