As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Their Worstest Hour

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    British GDP went negative last quarter.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/timeseries/abmi/pn2
    First time since 2012
    Aldo wrote: »
    Households stockpiling £4bn+ leading up to Brexit. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/britons-have-spent-4bn-stockpiling-goods-in-case-of-no-deal-brexit

Of note: the super rich are importing more cars in anticipation of tariff hikes after Brexit.

I mean, I'm surprised it isn't more. Especially medicines and non-perishables.

So I'm not particularly familiar with how GDP is calculated, but wouldn't people buying more than usual to stockpile increase GDP? Or does people buying presumably foreign/EU items at a local grocery store not contribute to GDP because GDP is only for stuff produced/services rendered inside the country? Or if the stockpiling did contribute and GDP still went negative despite the spending, are things even more grim than they seemed? Or would that kind of stockpiling not really even factor in to something like GDP because it's so small-scale? I'm somewhat confused.

Probably the latter, 4bn is nothing compared to total GDP of a large country. The article also wasn't very specific on when or over what period of time people bought the extra stuff.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    danx wrote: »
    Dunno why you are so down on an all women cabinet. The obvious answer is to just clone Nicola Sturgeon 22 times.

I'm not really thrilled at the idea of the SNP having unchecked power, I don't really want a bunch of TERFs rolling trans rights back 20 years just because Sturgeon has some game on twitter.

I was joking but as to your point I'm hoping after the delay for another consultation on the GRA it actually goes through and Sturgeon tells the bigots to fuck off. Somehow I doubt she will though. They already gave into them once and it just emboldened them.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The SNP and the TERFs is the same problem as the Tories and their lunatic fringe: once a party starts propagandising as 'the natural party of government', power hungry weirdos immediately latch on to push their personal issue.

Dis' on
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/nigel-farage-ridicules-british-royal-family-in-australian-speech-1.3983728

"Brexit Party leader called Queen Mother a ‘chain-smoking gin drinker"

Is the royal family on the side of remain?
    I thought that ranting about the royal family was not done in the UK.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/nigel-farage-ridicules-british-royal-family-in-australian-speech-1.3983728

Ah, fascists, they love their countries - except literally everything about them.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

:|
    I thought it was our conservatives that wanted Aus to stay under the royal family.
    I guess Charles's advocacy of doing something about climate change couldn't be tolerated though...

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

Ah, fascists, they love their countries - except literally everything about them.

In fairness, there's nothing about "chain-smoking gin drinker" as a description of the Queen Mother that is inaccurate....

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

In fairness, there's nothing about "chain-smoking gin drinker" as a description of the Queen Mother that is inaccurate....

Though he was saying it as an insult, which is objectively incorrect.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Actually, he's saying it as part of his insulting of Charles:
    “When it comes to her son, when it comes to Charlie Boy and climate change, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Her mother, Her Royal Highness the queen’s mother, was a slightly overweight, chain-smoking gin drinker who lived to 101 years old.”

“All I can say is Charlie Boy is now in his 70s ... may the queen live a very, very long time.”

The notion of a ruler who actually expresses opinions would naturally worry Nigel.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I do truly loathe Nigel Farage

Everything he says, I hate him more

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    He seems the epitome of "loathsome toad".

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    He seems the epitome of "loathsome toad".

don't put that shit on my people

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Trouble is, toads are cool and pretty chill.

I'd more equate Farage with the war crime my cat left in the litter tray earlier.

He'd be an arsehole, except he doesn't serve a vital purpose.

I'd call him a cunt, but he lacks both depth and warmth.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

Actually, he's saying it as part of his insulting of Charles:
    “When it comes to her son, when it comes to Charlie Boy and climate change, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Her mother, Her Royal Highness the queen’s mother, was a slightly overweight, chain-smoking gin drinker who lived to 101 years old.”

“All I can say is Charlie Boy is now in his 70s ... may the queen live a very, very long time.”

The notion of a ruler who actually expresses opinions would naturally worry Nigel.

Reading the full article and every time i think I've read the stupidest part of it, a new depth is plumbed.
    Including a bit where he longs for the Prince Harry of old who "was this young, brave, boisterous, all male, getting into trouble, turning up at stag parties inappropriately dressed"
    That 'inappropriate' costume was a Nazi uniform, btw.

sig.gif
    It's the "all male" bit of that quote that gets me. Like, wtf?

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Well, he goes onto say that all that went away when he met Meghan Markle so I guess it's all part of his demented sexism that he's lamenting that this top blokey-bloke has been neutered by a shrill harpy.

sig.gif
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

Well, he goes onto say that all that went away when he met Meghan Markle so I guess it's all part of his demented sexism that he's lamenting that this top blokey-bloke has been neutered by a shrill harpy.

worth noting she is also not british by birth and is mixed race so not too difficult to figure out where this shitbird's disdain might be coming from

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Tbh it sounds like he's complaining Harry grew up. I think the confusion is that Farrage doesn't realise most people grow out of being the obnoxious twats we were at 22 because he just sort of doubled down and made a career out of it.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Now wait for the teeth grinding moment the mail tells us people are allowed to change their minds.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I wonder if there's anyone remaining who has worked at the Daily Mail continuously since 1973. And how often does that person (or persons) believe referendums should happen?
    "You only get one a decade! That's just too much democracy otherwise!"

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Given the current Mail it's probably "referendums until you agree with us then no more".

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Given the current Mail it's probably "referendums until you agree with us then no more".
    Oh, you mean democracy?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Tbh it sounds like he's complaining Harry grew up. I think the confusion is that Farrage doesn't realise most people grow out of being the obnoxious twats we were at 22 because he just sort of doubled down and made a career out of it.

The far right in general loves these kinds of things, where a now liberalish grown up person has said or done some stupid things in their youth, for 2 reasons.
    1. They are wistful of the time when dressing up as a nazi or kkk member as a joke or making a sexist or racist joke in public was ok and want those times to return.
    2. It provides a useful hypocrisy defense for whenever some horrible shit comes out on one of their own members from their youth. “Sure, our guy may have a history of date rape and ephebophilia in his twenties, but Prince Harry dressed like a Nazi so its all square right?”

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It seems more concerned with Meghan Markle and her "influence" over him rather than with Harry as an actual person

Boris Johnson: Brexit opponents 'collaborating' with EU
    Boris Johnson has accused MPs "who think they can block Brexit" of a "terrible collaboration" with the EU.

The prime minister said the EU had become less willing to compromise on a new deal with the UK because of the opposition to leaving in Parliament.

He said this increased the likelihood of the UK being "forced to leave with a no-deal" in October.

But some MPs said his claim they were collaborating with the EU was a "wicked lie" and a "big deflection exercise".
    Oh, so it's all everyone else's fault that he'd driving us off the cliff! I didn't know that.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    "People who want to remain in the EU continue to try and work with EU counterparts. The bastards."

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "stabbed in the back"

"Your honour, it was his fault I stabbed him; he didn't give me his wallet like I told him to."

Dear Leader finally reveals his plan:
    Brexit: Corbyn plans to call no-confidence vote to defeat no-deal
    Jeremy Corbyn aims to stop a no-deal Brexit by leading a "time-limited" caretaker government after winning a no-confidence vote in the government.

The Labour leader then plans to delay the UK's exit from the European Union to make time for a general election.

Mr Corbyn outlined his plan in a letter to Westminster's opposition party leaders and Tory rebels on Wednesday.

Downing Street said Mr Corbyn would "overrule the referendum and wreck the economy" if he became prime minister.

Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson dismissed the Labour leader's plans as "nonsense".

Mr Corbyn said he would seek to call a no-confidence vote at the "earliest opportunity when we can be confident of success".
    So, November 1st?

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    "stabbed in the back"

Right in the white cliffs.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Wreck the economy? Likely (but that was already going to happen).
    Overrule the referendum? Not if he can possibly avoid it.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    What's the issue with Corby as caretaker PM? He's surely going to be up against weekly No Confidence motions from Boris regardless, so isn't going to stray outside of the caretaker role.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    What's the issue with Corby as caretaker PM? He's surely going to be up against weekly No Confidence motions from Boris regardless, so isn't going to stray outside of the caretaker role.

He’s the leader of the Labour Party. Even if he weren’t considered personally unpalatable by the centre it would be inappropriate for the Opposition to lead a caretaker government of unity. Literally anybody else would be better here

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, he is not exactly trustworthy on the Brexit issue.

In a column maybe a week or two back, Polly Toynbee (at the Guardian) suggested that the interim PM leading a national unity government shouldn't actually be a party leader; instead someone who would likely be no part of a future government, and who would have the respect and trust of the vast majority of the House. Said interim PM would be in office only long enough to ask the EU for a delay, conduct a referendum and a GE. And since it relies on Labour, it would need to be a Labour MP - and obviously not Corbyn.

By name, she suggested Margaret Beckett, who has also been mentioned as a possibility by rebel Tories.

Fake edit - Here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/05/government-national-unity-no-deal-margaret-beckett-referendum

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Like the position of interim PM requires someone who

a) does not hold any ambitions for the office long-term
    b) will not use the opportunity to implement their own partisan platform
    c) can be trusted to actually prevent a no-deal exit in time and call for a referendum

Corbyn has none of these qualities. Which is fine for his position as leader of the labour party! a) and b) are pretty awful things to have as a party leader

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.