As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Thread! Streaming Service is live! Aquaman out in December! Comics, I guess!

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    All Star Superman is a perfect book (if you tear out that godawful first page).

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    All Star Superman is a perfect book (if you tear out that godawful first page).

Remind me what it is

The four panel summary of Superman's backstory.

Oh you mean the best summation of the salient points of Clark's backstory that's ever been in comics?

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    These last couple pages are designed to cause me to spontaneously combust

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I mean, honestly, if I was going to be Superman for a day and I didn't want to cause an international incident or like...kill some people, I would just fly around really fast and look at things with my super vision too.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I would just fly around really fast
    This would 100% kill some people and cause multiple international incidents.

Mr. G wrote: »
    I don’t think I’m enjoying anything about All-Star Superman, actually

I don’t like these versions of these characters, I’m kinda hating the stories these issues tell (Lois can be Superman for a day! She just sorta walks around watching things happen for it!), and I’m not engaged by the overarching story
    I'm sorry it's not working for you! It's one of my favorite comics, and it's made me emotional in multiple points in multiple different ways, so I'm especially bummed it's causing negative feelings for you.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    All star superman has the bit with the prison riot, where a Clark Kent interviewing Lex keeps stepping in to save him from the riot when Lex looks away. It’s easily my favourite superman story.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There are two scenes I like in All-Star Superman, but most of it is not my jam

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I can't find it now but one of the best Quietly sequences is a four panel scene of Batman (Dick Grayson) and Robin (Damian) fighting some crooks with a garbage can. Except... he draws the moments between the punches and actiony bits. The action is all implied by where the characters are in the scene. It's very simple, nothing complicated. The bread and butter of superhero comics but it is done really well.
    I think this is the one you're talking about:
    Kk74n4D.jpg?1

While looking for that one, I also found these ones, which I think come from the same fight sequence:
    wkRi5Sh.jpg
    5YKwFE7.jpg?1
    I really love the sequence in the first scan that zooms in on Damian's eyes. In the second scan, I love the panels where Dick is flipping over the table - the soaring bat silhouette, the cape folding around his body and then unfurling when he lands. That feels like a more acrobatic move, something befitting Dick-Batman more than Bruce-Batman.

It's a gimmicky thing. But I can't help but love when he was using elements in the environment to make the sound effects

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Norgoth wrote: »
    All star superman has the bit with the prison riot, where a Clark Kent interviewing Lex keeps stepping in to save him from the riot when Lex looks away. It’s easily my favourite superman story.
    One of my favorite bits throughout the series is the way Clark Kent surreptitiously prevents disasters through small, unseen gestures. Like when he "bumblingly" bumps into someone which makes them drop their bags (and prevents them from stepping off a curb and into the path of a truck running a red light), or how he lowers his glasses and vision-zaps something dangerous (loose wiring?) away from hitting Lex when Lex has his back turned.

I kinda think Frank Quitely draws my definitive Clark Kent.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    I love the way his Superman and Clark Kent have completely different posture.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    He's one of very few artists who make me believe that people wouldn't immediately figure Clark/Superman out.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

I don’t like these versions of these characters, I’m kinda hating the stories these issues tell (Lois can be Superman for a day! She just sorta walks around watching things happen for it!), and I’m not engaged by the overarching story

43pcc8keq1jd.jpg

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    there are a handful of things i liked in all-star superman, but i don't think it works as a story

also when i finally read that bizarro issue after hearing it talked up for a year or so, i was mad at everyone

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I don’t like these versions of these characters, I’m kinda hating the stories these issues tell (Lois can be Superman for a day! She just sorta walks around watching things happen for it!), and I’m not engaging by the overarching story

I'm really sorry that we have to fight now

No fear, no mercy, no remorse, accept the past as oblivion and your own destruction as inevitable and lay waste to your foe

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh you mean the best summation of the salient points of Clark's backstory that's ever been in comics?

There is one better summation of a backstory:

Got Bit
    Uncle Died
    Fight Crime

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    spider-were, spider-were, transforms into a spider, on the night of the full moon, spins a web, any size, catches victims, just like flies, look out, here comes the spider-were

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Holy shit this week's episode of Young Justice is fucking dark

spider-were, spider-were, transforms into a spider, on the night of the full moon, spins a web, any size, catches victims, just like flies, look out, here comes the spider-were
    If we're following D&D monster naming conventions, a spider-were would be a spider that can transform into a human, not vice-versa.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    This isn't the right tab

Jragghen on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    If we're following D&D monster naming conventions, a spider-were would be a spider that can transform into a human, not vice-versa.

poetic license!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I would be interested in hearing what people's problem with the first page of All-Star Superman is.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    I would be interested in hearing what people problem with the first page of All-Star Superman is.

*person's problem

I would be interested in hearing what people problem with the first page of All-Star Superman is.

*person's problem

My mistake I thought Gus was saying he hated it too.

Quire.jpg
    oh yeah gus hates grant morisson

it's his one defining trait

6vjsgrerts6r.png

As much as you love Jonathan Hickman

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Morrison is hit or miss for me. But when he misses, he misses completely

Gustav wrote: »

says the guy with an infinity reading order chart tattoo

6vjsgrerts6r.png

What bugs me about the first page is that it doesn't flow well. It feels like it is "stop. start. stop. start. stop. start." Which for comics is bad imo. I love how comic panels flow into one another and tell a story but this page feels more like four discrete panels rather than a four panel story. It'd be alright if it were "bang. bang. bang. bang." but to me it feels like it's "bang... bang... bang... bang...". It feels slow even as it quickly gets the origin out of the way. I get that's a subjective thing, but it's 90% of why I hate the page. It feels wrong to me.

My other problem with it is that it only works if you already know the story. Which is fine, most comic readers do know it. But I think it defeats the point of the page, Grant Morrison is saying "hey, Superman's origin isn't complicated, you can do it in four panels". But there's a giant asterisk there because what he's really saying is you can do it in four panels... if the reader already knows the story. Which is cheating. A person who hasn't heard of Superman's origin would probably find the first page confusing or mysterious, which is the exact opposite of its intent*.

*I may be wrong on this, I am recalling stuff from the 2000s. But at the time there was discussion at DC about Superman's origin being too confusing and lengthy for new readers and the first page (so far as I understood it) was Grant thumbing his nose at these people. But I don't think he succeeded in delivering an origin that isn't confusing for a new reader.

I feel like if I showed someone who somehow had a working understanding of Superheroes but had never heard of Superman I could show them that page and they would get it. I wanna say that I could show someone with no understanding of Superheroes that panel and they would also get it but I'm less certain about that.

Quire.jpg
    edited August 2019
    Gustav wrote: »

says the guy with an infinity reading order chart tattoo

Well yeah. Not like I could figure that shit out on my own

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The Catwoman ongoing seems to be winding down and beginning to blend with King's Batman, but it does introduce someone new to Selina's supporting cast
    Gentleman Ghost saves Selina after she's attacked by a mob operative

i really don't think all-star superman was at all interested in being inviting to new readers, to be honest.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    All-Star Superman is for people who love Superman as much as Grant Morrison does

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Another pair of Tales from the Dark Multiverse one shots got revealed, Blackest Night and Infinite Crisis.

BN is from Tim Seely and Kyle Hotz and features Sinestro in Limbo with Dove, Lobo and Mister Miracle fighting an infinite Black Lantern horde.

Infinite Crisis

Well

mo31ajom4oh9.jpg
    Writer James Tynion IV (Justice League, Justice League Dark) and artists Aaron Lopresti (Wonder Woman) and Matt Ryan (Damage) team up with cover artist Lee Weeks for this dark turn on DC’s mega-event INFINITE CRISIS. The destruction of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, the rise of Alexander Luthor and Superboy-Prime, and the rebirth of the Multiverse all began with Ted Kord, the Blue Beetle. Kord saw it all coming and died with secrets that could have saved the world. But in the Dark Multiverse, Blue Beetle survives, and with the death of Maxwell Lord by his hand, Ted sets off events that irreversibly alter the lives of not only the Justice League, but also his best friend, Booster Gold. In trying to prevent a crisis, Blue Beetle becomes the crisis, and the Dark Multiverse will never be the same.

DC is really giving it to Blue Beetle fans huh

(I am totally fine with this one, its an Elseworlds and Tynion kicks ass)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Sinestro isn't trapped in Limbo, he's "The Limbo Lantern" (he's both a Black Lantern and a White Lantern)

It's very dumb and I kinda like it

This discussion has been closed.