As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I looked it up. They are reptile/mammal.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

bummer

she did annoying klingon in the best way

genuinely one of my faves

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what does it take to get into the writer’s room for a show like Star Trek?

Like is throwing spec scripts at them just a waste of time unless you already have something of a name or do they fill in the gaps with B-plots from random grognards from time to time?

I read they stopped the spec scripts thing back with Enterprise, because of lawsuits (so they claim). Given that spec scripts lead to some really great episodes, I just can't see how you wouldn't just update your terms and conditions, rather than cancel them outright. Makes me think there were other non-publicized issues.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what does it take to get into the writer’s room for a show like Star Trek?

Like is throwing spec scripts at them just a waste of time unless you already have something of a name or do they fill in the gaps with B-plots from random grognards from time to time?

I read they stopped the spec scripts thing back with Enterprise, because of lawsuits (so they claim). Given that spec scripts lead to some really great episodes, I just can't see how you wouldn't just update your terms and conditions, rather than cancel them outright. Makes me think there were other non-publicized issues.

Also, when using the "Prestige TV" format instead of episodic, I doubt that spec scripts would be all that useful.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    ui3i275fekv1.png

did you just

Whoa, whoa whoa whoa....

Who the hell abreviates Deep Space 9 as DSN and not DS9?

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Well now I can't trust Wikipedia about anything, ever.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    ui3i275fekv1.png

did you just

Whoa, whoa whoa whoa....

Who the hell abreviates Deep Space 9 as DSN and not DS9?

right? that has been messing with my head ever since i posted that

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I just ran across this... It's some kind of music video?
    https://youtu.be/M64voQEIY9k

i just watched the whole thing and now i am insane

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Much like Marc Alaimo as Dukat, the Kardashians were also once originally human.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, using one of the best Picard moments ever as an example of "this is boring" is kinda poopy.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ... well, that's ONE way to sort out the rights.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So they split off into 2 companies only to merge back into 1. Fuck you Les Moonves.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Reminder that giant companies merging is never actually good

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I just hope we never have to make a joke about Disney being able to do a crossover with Star Trek, Star Wars, Aliens, DC Comics, Marvel Comics & whatever other major intellectual properties they have.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Reminder that giant companies merging is never actually good

Splitting the rights to Star Trek between the 2 companies when they split was a goddamned tragedy. I reiterate, Fuck you Les Moonves.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    And we're still never going to get any good vidya gaems out of it.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I just hope we never have to make a joke about Disney being able to do a crossover with Star Trek, Star Wars, Aliens, DC Comics, Marvel Comics & whatever other major intellectual properties they have.

Now this will become canon.

star-trek-x-men.jpg

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Janeway was terribly and inconsistently written in a way that the other Captains (and I think that the Captains do need to work for the show to work) were not

I always remember SFdebris' comment on this:

"I hope you can all see what a terrible idea it is to form alliances out here because we don't know the consequences!" - Janeway about an alliance with the Kazon

Fast forward a few episodes.

"I hope you can all see what a great idea it is to form an alliance with and give WMDs to the Borg!" - Scorpion

Voyager regularly bent over backwards (and into whatever other shapes it needed to be) to make Janeway appear correct at all times. Part of the reason I like Scorpion is the idea that Janeway might be feeling guilt over pointlessly stranding her crew across the galaxy, and that that guilt is starting to affect her judgment/principles. This is something that is almost immediately dropped.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Janeway being proven correct was usually at Chakotay's expense, too, which made me feel immense sympathy for him after awhile.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Kinda a reverse Worf who so often is proven right, but is ignored anyway? raising those damn shields when Worf tells you to would have reduced the runtime of several episodes by 90 percent.

I also reached the episode with Worf and K'Ehleyr doing "calisthenics". Actress looked familiar, google...4 different characters in Star Trek on 3 shows?

honovere on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I just ran across this... It's some kind of music video?
    https://youtu.be/M64voQEIY9k

Reminds me of this, along some kind of similar theme;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwZiezIxCVU

honovere wrote: »
    I also reached the episode with Worf and K'Ehleyr doing "calisthenics". Actress looked familiar, google...4 different characters in Star Trek on 3 shows?

That's not uncommon, there's a fair bit of guest actor recycling in TNG/DS9.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Hell, Jeffrey Combs played at least three different characters on Deep Space Nine alone. Four if you count the racist cop in Far Beyond The Stars.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Hell, Jeffrey Combs played at least three different characters on Deep Space Nine alone. Four if you count the racist cop in Far Beyond The Stars.

Still not enough Jeffrey Combs

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Brunt! FCA.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/xeqTMTOxid8

i'm really surprised that didn't immediately lead to an escalation.

"ah thank you Borf!"
    "no problem Commander Shithead!"
    "oh come on, that's not even close!"

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If Enterprise hadn't been so bad it murdered the franchise for like a decade, we would right now be fast approaching the Star Trek Jeffrey Combs singularity (ie - perfection).

as an aside i am supremely impressed how quickly brent spiner went from "how the fuck should i know?" to "actually i have an amusing anecdote that's close enough to your question"

that's a skill

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    as an aside i am supremely impressed how quickly brent spiner went from "how the fuck should i know?" to "actually i have an amusing anecdote that's close enough to your question"

that's a skill

Not that surprising. He's got experience answering decades worth of nerd questions.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

does this mean picard and data are finally becoming playable in smash bros

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

No, just TNG Worf. He loses all matchups.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »

No, just TNG Worf. He loses all matchups.

Takes triple damage from barrels.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dac wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Janeway was terribly and inconsistently written in a way that the other Captains (and I think that the Captains do need to work for the show to work) were not

I always remember SFdebris' comment on this:

"I hope you can all see what a terrible idea it is to form alliances out here because we don't know the consequences!" - Janeway about an alliance with the Kazon

Fast forward a few episodes.

"I hope you can all see what a great idea it is to form an alliance with and give WMDs to the Borg!" - Scorpion

Voyager regularly bent over backwards (and into whatever other shapes it needed to be) to make Janeway appear correct at all times. Part of the reason I like Scorpion is the idea that Janeway might be feeling guilt over pointlessly stranding her crew across the galaxy, and that that guilt is starting to affect her judgment/principles. This is something that is almost immediately dropped.

In Unimatrix Zero she sneers "I don't compromise with the Borg."

Unimatrix Zero takes place exactly three seasons after Scorpion, where she compromised with the Borg. This is easy to remember because that's how Seven, who is the main character of the Unimatrix Zero two-parter, became part of the crew.

Shadowen on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Ok but maybe all that time spent dealing with 7 IS why she won't compromise anymore.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Which reminds me, I always thought it was a shame that Soul Calibur IV didn't introduce Worf, so the Star Wars/Trek question could be answered once and for all, as he could fight Vader and Yoda.

Possibly even two versions. TNG Worf with a bat'leth, DS9 with a mek'leth.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

If Enterprise hadn't been so bad it murdered the franchise for like a decade, we would right now be fast approaching the Star Trek Jeffrey Combs singularity (ie - perfection).

His guest spots on enterprise were one of the shows only good points

This discussion has been closed.