As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I just went to a cafe that doesn’t have set prices

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    $8-11
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    $5 and around $3 in the tip jar

About what I’m paying at other places for a coffee and a muffin

god that's cheap
    there's no way a cafe around here would charge less than $4.50 for a muffin.

Back in Aus it would be $6 but then no tip.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    Seeing how rich people seem to tip I would expect them to pay half a penny for the americano and muffin

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    $8-11
    One time I was in a steak restaurant well known for cocktails, and had already ordered two during the pre-dinner/appetizer phase of things. When asked what I wanted to drink with my steak, I asked for an Americano, thinking I had indicated the cocktail (Campari and Vermouth). They brought me a cup of plain black coffee with my meal, apparently unable to make espresso but also unable to figure out I did not expect them to serve me coffee with a steak at 9 PM.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    Xaquin wrote: »
    what's an americano?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0r0jznFjA8

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    $4-7
    Madican wrote: »
    Seeing how rich people seem to tip I would expect them to pay half a penny for the americano and muffin

Hmm.

Maybe, but maybe not? I mean it's all about perceived value, and the traditional poor tipping from rich people is due to a lack of perceived value for service workers, right? So while they'd assuredly still tip poorly, I could also see them "overpaying" for the food/drink, as that's where they see the value in eating out.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Just Tell Me The Price, Commie
    I love calling people Commies so that

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    Haha oh my god.

So this thread made me check my favorite local coffee place’s prices. But their website didn’t show pricing, so I checked the menu on yelp instead.

And then I find the top review is a friend/coworker’s. And they have over 200 reviews. And every single review starts with an amazingly bad pun.

I will never reveal this to them but I am still getting a good laugh out of it.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Hmm.

Maybe, but maybe not? I mean it's all about perceived value, and the traditional poor tipping from rich people is due to a lack of perceived value for service workers, right? So while they'd assuredly still tip poorly, I could also see them "overpaying" for the food/drink, as that's where they see the value in eating out.

I mean it’s one banana, Michael. What could it cost, ten dollars?

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    I went to a cafe last week where I got a tea in a mug but they didn't give me a spoon or a plate or anything to dispose of the tea bag and I could not see any visible garbage can so I drank the tea until it was too over-strong to drink any more and left the rest in the mug and ran out of the cafe before any of the staff could make eye contact with me.

So no thanks to the negotiable prices.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    Once I realized there weren't any prices I would turn around and leave immediately before ordering.

JtgVX0H.png
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    $4-7
    One iced mocha, please.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I picked commie answer but upon further reflection my real answer would probably be dying of anxiety

BahamutZERO.gif
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    Lose the power of speech and shuffle away without the goods, leaving a snail trail of nervous sweat slicked across the floor in my wake

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    can i take money out of the tip jar

can i say they have to pay me to take it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    $8-11
    tynic wrote: »
    $5 and around $3 in the tip jar

About what I’m paying at other places for a coffee and a muffin

god that's cheap
    there's no way a cafe around here would charge less than $4.50 for a muffin.

Back in Aus it would be $6 but then no tip.

In a little Melbourne backstreet cafe a cup of coffee is like $2.50, and the muffin would be like $4.

In a "swankier" cafe here in W.A., the coffee's gonna be $5-6 and the muffin $6-8.

EDIT: Oh, and in the little backstreet cafe the muffin would be baked on the premises, in the "swankier" cafe it would be bought in from an "artisanal organic bakery" (so, made by Tip-Top in a big factory).

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    $8-11
    There is a café near me that's run by a collective and they also host political meetings for left groups etc.

They have a vegetarian/vegan brunch on the weekends which was "pay what you can afford" with a recommended price of €10.
    They have now changed it to "pay between €8 and €13, btw we need €10 on average to break even". I always pay the 13 and tip on top of it.

edited August 2019
    can i take money out of the tip jar

can i say they have to pay me to take it
    that's the play, pay negative dollars, take them for all they're worth

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    should have stolen it and in fact stolen everything you could from the shop

EzUAYcn.png
    that'd show them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Grobian wrote: »
    There is a café near me that's run by a collective and they also host political meetings for left groups etc.

They have a vegetarian/vegan brunch on the weekends which was "pay what you can afford" with a recommended price of €10.
    They have now changed it to "pay between €8 and €13, btw we need €10 on average to break even". I always pay the 13 and tip on top of it.

This kind of defeats the purpose

Anyways my favorite model of the "subsidize another person's meal" system is when they let you just buy an extra meal they can give out at their leisure.

A sandwich place here lets you buy a little poker chip type thing which you can give to a homeless person and they can redeem it for a sandwich. I mean like just give homeless people money but still, they've given thousands of people sandwiches with the system so it's not all bad

#pipe on
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    If I knew the arrangement in advance, I would choose to go somewhere else.

If I discovered the arrangement before ordering, I would back out of line and choose to go somewhere else.

If I completed my order, and then the cashier was explaining the deal to me, but hadn't made my drink yet, I would cancel my order and go somewhere else.

If I completed my order, and they were quick enough to complete it before I found out about the pricing, I would grit my teeth, tell them that I regret the whole experience and won't be returning, but that I also understand that they, as the customer-facing employees, probably have no influence over policy. Then I would empty out all of the change in my pockets and my backpack, because if they're going to make me feel that goddamn awkward, as payback I'm going to make them take all these gross mystery-encrusted nickels that I somehow keep accumulating even though I pay cash for things maybe twice a year these days.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    i'd just give them $20 and then never return again

Is it a good coffee place, I guess

If not, a fiver

If yes, 6-7 quid maybe

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    I would have just like

removed my shirt and neatly folded it on the counter

"I have shirt for you, it has Tupac on it."

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    $Larlar
    Did you know at weddings you can just take as many snacks as you want? Go to every wedding with a bag so you can sweep the food table in.

VRXwDW7.png
    *die from anxiety*
    Did you know at weddings you can just take as many snacks as you want? Go to every wedding with a bag so you can sweep the food table in.

they made an entire movie based on this idea

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wait in a café with no set pricing, does it also mean no set job roles?

can i walk in and just declare myself the manager?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    any business model that relies on rich people voluntarily paying an additional amount is doomed to failure

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    $8-11
    In the tiny little coffee shop in the tiny village I live in and hang out in on Sunday mornings, my usual latte and delicious sugary pastry runs me about seven dollars, and I always tip five over cause tipping sucks and everyone who has to depend on it deserves more from me, a member of the bourgeois landed gentry.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    $4-7
    Wasn't there a Bitcoin cafe where it was impossible to pay because the price kept fluctuating?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    If not there should be.

STEP RIGHT UP AND SPIN THE WHEEL OF PRICES

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    $4-7
    If not there should be.

STEP RIGHT UP AND SPIN THE WHEEL OF PRICES

Hah, you fucked up you just paid $3500 for a cup of coff- you just paid $2800 - you just paid six cents

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    $Larlar
    The wheel of prices has 90 reasonable prices, 8 free spaces, a jackpot that gives you money, and a bankrupt where you have to pay $1,000 for the muffin

The perfect system

VRXwDW7.png
    any business model that relies on rich people voluntarily paying an additional amount is doomed to failure

There are cafes near here which are based on that and they do well. They aren't really a business though.

Basically the cafe provides free drinks and such to deprived families etc and people who have money deliberately pay more to cover the costs. Pretty common for them to tell people "you don't need to pay that much today we're well covered" as well

edited August 2019
    *die from anxiety*
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Wasn't there a Bitcoin cafe where it was impossible to pay because the price kept fluctuating?
    First off, I hold more Bitcoin than any other coin.

I've been investing in Bitcoin since early this year and went to my first bitcoin meetup in San Francisco tonight. https://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Bitcoin-Social/events/245125000/

The description said, "the only bar in SF that accepts bitcoin at the register!"

I'm thinking, how is this gonna go? Can't go well, right.

I asked the bartender/owner if I can pay with bitcoin and he's like 'yeah, no problem'.

I had ordered two drinks. The bartender hands me an ipad with a bitpay QR code.

I opened up my Coinbase app that I had moved $100 into today specifically for in person payments.

My drinks came out to $15.50 with tip.

The Bitpay app requested 0.0012 BTC (Current price is $16,500). When I put that amount into the Coinbase app it said the USD value was $35. I couldn't figure out why it was $35. So I switched the interface to allow me to just enter a USD amount.

I entered $20, cause I was slightly drunk and said, oh well, I'll pay more. After I hit send I looked at the transaction and it said it was pending for $51. WTF?

I asked the owner/bartender how this was gonna work since it was going to take 2hours plus.

He was like "2 hours? We can't wait that long, I'll just cancel and you can pay by credit card. Also , I don't want you to pay $51 for this".

I told him "You can't cancel, it's bitcoin. No backsies".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7l7x5u/tried_to_use_bitcoin_at_a_bar_tonight_at_a/

that was from about a year back

Brolo on
    edited August 2019
    *die from anxiety*
    The bar included a bitcoin ATM that lets users trade physical cash for bitcoins, and vice versa (there are more than 5,000 bitcoin ATMs like this around the world). Bitcoin Embassy offered a 10% discount if I paid for my tab in bitcoin.

So I inserted a 500 peso note—about $25—into the machine. I downloaded a bitcoin wallet app from Google's Play Store to my Pixel smartphone. It generated an address for receiving the funds and displayed it as a QR code the ATM could scan. A few second later, the ATM spit out a receipt stating "Bitcoin purchased: 0.00245589."

There was just one problem: my wallet app didn't show any bitcoins being received. We sat down at the bar and ordered drinks and a pizza while we waited for the bitcoins to arrive.

By the time we'd finished our food, my app still showed a bitcoin balance of 0. The receipt showed the bitcoin address where the funds were supposed to be sent—bc1q7ayu350m8rntrw2uvewudrhqe5gj7d8d9ndggv—and I double-checked to make sure this address matched the one in my wallet. It did. But no bitcoins.

So we gave up and paid with a conventional credit card.

After leaving the bar, I sent off an email to the support address listed on my receipt. The next morning, I got a response: "Transactions under [1,000 pesos] are taking a day to two, in the course of today they will reach the wallet." I finally got my bitcoins around 6pm.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/08/i-tried-to-pay-with-bitcoin-at-a-mexico-city-bar-it-didnt-go-well/

but this was from last week

Brolo on
    $4-7
    Bitcoin: It Just Works

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    $4-7
    Coffee and pastry being over 10 dollars is why I never frequent coffee shops.

On the way to work there is a roadside coffee place, like a van? And it's independent, not a chain, they do an amazing coffee and a peanut butter cookie for £4.50

But you take away, there's nowhere to sit. So I guess that's a cost reducer. If it was an actual cafe like £6 seems reasonable.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    $8-11
    #pipe wrote: »
    Grobian wrote: »

This kind of defeats the purpose

Yes it does and its sad. I can only assume they had too many people eating for nearly free, they are in an area also visited by tourists.