As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, one of my two florescent bulb ceiling fixtures burnt out a few months back and I actually much prefer my office with just half the lighting.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My office has a dimmer and I keep it about 3/4 or so.

Old job the other two coworkers would keep half the lights off and complain about headaches. ...They were hungover weren't they?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have to do things that aren't on screens a lot of the time, so I want as much light as possible in my work environment.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Sometimes fluorescent lights give me headaches. The light in my office started going out last month, and having 1/2 of them burned out was pretty nice. But then they had to go and fix it.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    Yeah, one of my two florescent bulb ceiling fixtures burnt out a few months back and I actually much prefer my office with just half the lighting.

Half the lighting is different from no lighting, because I’m assuming you can actually still see.

If it’s so dark that you need a desk lamp to work then there’s a serious risk of bumping into someone or tripping over something in the halls and getting hurt.

In fact I’d submit a complaint to HR to get it officially documented right now because knowing my clumsiness the person who gets hurt would 10,000% be me. Also expense the desk lamp.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Oh yes, I also agree with all that.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Old job the other two coworkers would keep half the lights off and complain about headaches. ...They were hungover weren't they?

Bad lights can cause headaches, especially if you're staring at a screen all day. At my last place, the lights were too blue (white) and went at a weird frequency, which gave people eye strain or headaches. So lots of people ran around with yellow glasses on them. And it was, of fucking course, too expensive to put in the light bulbs that were on a different frequency and had a better light balance.

• Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    So I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night and this morning I was looking for two sets of instruments, pressure switches and pressure gauges.

I quickly found the pressure gauges and then proceed to spend an hour looking for the pressure switches. I talked to all the operators at the plant to see if they knew where the switches ended up. I took full responsibility for misplacing them even though I was sure I had put them in the staging area. We couldn't find the switches, we found an extra set of gauges but no switches.

After searching the whole plant I returned to where I started, defeated. I opened up the box containing the pressure gauges that I had found and realized that the gauges where not gauges but were very obviously the pressure switches I had been looking for.

All day, I have had operators coming up to me saying that have searched and found nothing. I have had to tell that "Sorry, I had the switches all along and am just too much of an idiot to realize it."

Haha, oh man. It's good to know I don't have to worry about impostor syndrome, because yep that's me an impostor, can't even tell what I have in front of me.

• Options

Bad lights can cause headaches, especially if you're staring at a screen all day. At my last place, the lights were too blue (white) and went at a weird frequency, which gave people eye strain or headaches. So lots of people ran around with yellow glasses on them. And it was, of fucking course, too expensive to put in the light bulbs that were on a different frequency and had a better light balance.

They'd only complain about the headaches in the morning though, immediately when they showed up to work. The lights were actually pretty good, relatively "natural"

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I dim the lights in the control room when I work night shifts in an effort to preserve my circadian rhythm as much as possible. It still gets fucked up but.. maybe less? Day shifts I leave the lights at max. They are still shitty fluorescent lights though.

In the actual plant adequate lighting is a safety issue and must be maintained. Still, there are some dark and dim areas. We have this one place that is downright spooky: a deep basement with eight giant 100 cubic meter water tanks. The lighting is dim and in certain spots around the tanks the gamma radiation spikes a bit. I guess over the years they have collected some shit. Knowing the radiation is there definitely adds to the spookiness of the area.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    My job frequently involves putting various tubes into people, and/or monitoring said tubes.

Lights on, please.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I found a fun Twitter thread involving technical and hardware communication issues that I'd love to share with my office but it's about Bluetooth controlled buttplugs and I feel like sharing that with my bosses, coworkers, and a high school intern is ill advised.

So here!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I know we have a bunch of data nerds lurking somewhere in here. Anyone got a preferred visualization method for presenting linear mixed model results?

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    @bsjezz I currently use Canvas at the university level and can give you perspectives from that end.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    So what's the appropriate punishment for an IT guy that leaves and didn't leave any documentation at all?

After I hunt him down, of course.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    "Why is our procedures manual bound in human skin?"

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    So what's the appropriate punishment for an IT guy that leaves and didn't leave any documentation at all?

Because this is me currently, except I haven't left yet.

... um...

be gentle and think about how much was on their plate?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Public humiliation! The Cone of Shame! A written apology to the whole department! Extra hours working to backfill the missing documentation!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

... um...

Yeah, I know our IT department had been trimmed down with the LEAN bullshit to the point that it almost non functional and the people who were retained are working 80 hour weeks. Many of them are salaried for 45 hours a week rate

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    lqnd62ip08xa.png

Then why am I here for another five hours, Outlook Calendar?

Riddle me that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

... um...

First, there's only one position. He left and now it's me. It's for a large high school.

2nd, no inventory. Not even a list of what servers he had running. Like, a secretary just asked me to install FileMaker and set it up, and while looking for install discs and license keys, I found a copy of FileMaker server, which apparently is indeed active and I managed to track down a random desktop in a closet that is running it.

Apparently there's a lanschool server running somewhere? No idea what the IP is if I can't locate it.

The website is busted as shit and needs work. Nobody has any passwords or even knows where to go to log in to edit.

Every fucking printer that can be locked down with an admin/service password is. What is that password? No fucking idea.

Etc.

Steam
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

... um...

First, there's only one position. He left and now it's me. It's for a large high school.

2nd, no inventory. Not even a list of what servers he had running. Like, a secretary just asked me to install FileMaker and set it up, and while looking for install discs and license keys, I found a copy of FileMaker server, which apparently is indeed active and I managed to track down a random desktop in a closet that is running it.

Apparently there's a lanschool server running somewhere? No idea what the IP is if I can't locate it.

The website is busted as shit and needs work. Nobody has any passwords or even knows where to go to log in to edit.

Every fucking printer that can be locked down with an admin/service password is. What is that password? No fucking idea.

Etc.

The school needs to ask him for the passwords ASAP. As for everything else, you're on your own i'm afraid.

• Options
    Yeah, he's not been responding to any attempts to contact him.

Either he's a dick or they screwed him real hard somehow.

Steam
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay, that's well beyond the jokey meme of admins never documenting anything.

Was the parting amicable? Is there a chance their old profile has some links or configs or notes or the like?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm not at work

I'm on leave

Hallelujah! Praise be unto ETERNAL FRIDAX

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Okay, that's well beyond the jokey meme of admins never documenting anything.

Was the parting amicable? Is there a chance their old profile has some links or configs or notes or the like?

Seemed to be by all accounts. He wanted to go to grad school full time, had been here a few years, and the school offered in a paid position as well as accepting him.

Like, I'm definitely guilty of holding on to a lot of institutional and important knowledge in my head when I've been somewhere a while. But I at least try to get it down when I'm leaving, because while it the place might suck or I despise the admin or something, some poor schlep coming in after me doesn't need the double whammy of trying to fly blind while working in a shitty situation.

edit: He's been gone long enough his AD account was nuked over the summer, as was the linked Google account. I'll try to see if I can recover something, I think the district can recover the Google stuff, but *shrug*

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I came in on my day off yesterday. To celebrate my 5 year anniversary here and have lunch with the president of the museum. All told, this place can be frustrating sometimes, but I still enjoy the work that I am doing.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I've been at my job a year. A year! Still like it.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    @tynic don't work with that data often, but general rule is look at the data and fit the visual to the context in a way that best tells the story. Could be cluster dots, could be box/whiskers, could be bog standard dot+line.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I still enjoy my job a fair bit

If I could change one thing it'd be the commute

I may start looking for something new next year, but I dunno. I like being comfortable in a job and having to get used to another workplace is just, ughhh

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I hit seven years this summer. Though I haven't had the stress of getting used to a new workplace, I've gone through the stress of having a new boss far too many times. Really grateful that my latest boss is great and that he may well be around until I retire, if not close to that. If there's a leadership change for the worse later in my career I'll be comfortably within the zone of "I'm the old guy here, fuck you."

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I call upon the knowledge of the secret Seattle thread! @Weaver @Janson @Moriveth and others who I can't remember right now!

My wife and I are heading up to Seattle in a couple weeks to spend a few days being tourists. I'm looking for out of the way cool things to do besides the big ones. We plan on getting a City Pass, checking out the Art Museum, Space Needle, EMP and harbor cruises.

We also need food recommendations.

My stylist suggested Rocco's Pizza, Alchemy, and Biscuit Bitch.

Edit, also apparently a great donut place down by the Ferry.l

Being a tourist can be fun, embrace it! Even as a curmudgeonly native, I still recommend the Underground Tour, as well as hanging around in Pioneer Square for a while a when you're there. I don't really get "out" to eat very often, and everything changes here so often that I lose track of what is what, so I'm not much help there, but I do agree with Shorty's assessment. Le Pichet is great, I was there last weekend!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    My only issue with Irfanview is that it wants to open every file type but will crash itself when it tries to open webm formats

Awww man that's the one format I'm mainly interested about. It doesn't play nice with them? Because if it can do that plus gifs and whatnot I'll download and install that in a heartbeat.

It's random. Some it'll play just fine but others it'll lock up and crash. No way to tell which is which without trial and error

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    rhylith wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »

Half the lighting is different from no lighting, because I’m assuming you can actually still see.

If it’s so dark that you need a desk lamp to work then there’s a serious risk of bumping into someone or tripping over something in the halls and getting hurt.

In fact I’d submit a complaint to HR to get it officially documented right now because knowing my clumsiness the person who gets hurt would 10,000% be me. Also expense the desk lamp.

I don’t NEED a desk lamp to work but the space is darker than I’d like and I find it depressing/unmotivating to work in an area so dark.

But it is not like an active hazard.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I call upon the knowledge of the secret Seattle thread! @Weaver @Janson @Moriveth and others who I can't remember right now!

My wife and I are heading up to Seattle in a couple weeks to spend a few days being tourists. I'm looking for out of the way cool things to do besides the big ones. We plan on getting a City Pass, checking out the Art Museum, Space Needle, EMP and harbor cruises.

Food-wise I love Katsu Burger

I’ve only been up to Seattle proper a handful of times myself, but Mori may have more recommendations!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I love katsudon and tonkatsu.

I need a katsuburger yesterday.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

... um...

Yeah, I know our IT department had been trimmed down with the LEAN bullshit to the point that it almost non functional and the people who were retained are working 80 hour weeks. Many of them are salaried for 45 hours a week rate

Unionise.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    @tynic don't work with that data often, but general rule is look at the data and fit the visual to the context in a way that best tells the story. Could be cluster dots, could be box/whiskers, could be bog standard dot+line.

That's extremely unhelpful but I appreciate the thought!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Food-wise I love Katsu Burger

I’ve only been up to Seattle proper a handful of times myself, but Mori may have more recommendations!

I do not, but I can second or third or whatever Biscuit Bitch, as Biscuit Bitch is real good

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Where is my biscuit bitch