As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The fiance and I are looking to build a gaming room in what it now a poorly appropriated office. Can anyone offer recommendations for low cost desks or counter material for building a his/hers desktop PC gaming station?

Doortop desks? That's what I went with for mine, anyway. Get a solid core door, maybe stain and some protectant/sealant. Cut up some 4x4's for legs, cut some 1x2's for cross support, and maybe screw a steel support beam across the bottom to help prevent sag.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    That is straight out of Boogie Nights :)
    All that humidity and wood though gives me an aneurysm.

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The fiance and I are looking to build a gaming room in what it now a poorly appropriated office. Can anyone offer recommendations for low cost desks or counter material for building a his/hers desktop PC gaming station?

Low cost might be questionable but I made one from ikea stuff

200 for the butcherblock

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60274964/

89 x 3 drawer units

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00261295/#/10192824

or mix and match

legs

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50200271/

It basically takes up one side of the office.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    how does one go about buying a peacock

this yard feels empty without it
    VoCAQwa.jpg

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    how does one go about buying a peacock

this yard feels empty without it

VoCAQwa.jpg

Check your local livestock sellers? People raise peafowl here, so it can't be that difficult to get some.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Yeah I will be pulling the plug today on him.

BTW here is that indoor hot tub room. Its off of the extra family room.
    at1kp2uyaxay.jpg
    fz1pn5tkj50r.jpg

As for it being a sex room. The wifey and I have used it as such a couple of times, but honestly this thing gets used like twice a year.

I really want to rip it out and open up the back of the house from the family room to the sun room with the fireplace. It would give my kitchen a few extra feet in width too.

Ah, so you can show your love to the world. Got it.

Also you need to have more sex. Twice a year isn't gonna cut it.

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Do note that peacocks can be loud. There's actually one looking for a new home in our neighborhood. Apparently his been living semi-free since his original owners abandoned him and is taken care of by an adoptive family, but now new neighbors are complaining about the noise.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    That is straight out of Boogie Nights :)
    All that humidity and wood though gives me an aneurysm.

Everyone wants a hot tub. Until they have one. All of those people want to get rid of it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Do note that peacocks can be loud. There's actually one looking for a new home in our neighborhood. Apparently his been living semi-free since his original owners abandoned him and is taken care of by an adoptive family, but now new neighbors are complaining about the noise.

They're super annoying. I grew to hate them living in Orlando as a kid with multiple of them in our neighborhood.

96058.png?1619393207
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

I was kidding. Yard already comes with bunnies, so I’m good on wildlife for now :)

5gsowHm.png
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

They're super annoying. I grew to hate them living in Orlando as a kid with multiple of them in our neighborhood.

I remember a mall here had them on display for a a couple of years and their calls were loud and constant. I would not want to live anywhere near one.

steam_sig.png
    Peacocks are loud dickheads and all people really want is a fan of the feathers to go "ooooooh"
    Just buy some feathers, stick em on some wood and save your money.

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    We're just far enough away from wherever it is he lives that the occasional call adds a cool jungle feel to the neighborhood, but yeah, if he was in my neighbor's backyard I'd be less thrilled about the situation.

And I just now saw a local FB post that he found a permanent home out in the country with a guy who already has a bunch of other furred and feathered critters, so it's a reasonably happy ending.

Photosaurus on
    "If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I bought one of these off Amazon last year. It's pretty solid (holds 300 lbs) and wasn't too difficult to put together. You could do a pair of those and set em side by side.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BNFCSS9/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    And in Bad Bathroom Decisions, I give you this:

What the actual fuck.

What the actual fuck.

I know! It's like...where do you even start?

What the actual fuck.

The most egregious part for me is the closets 4 inches from the lip of a soaker tub.
    Also this is the best way to break legs and or kill yourself at 3 in the morning when you fall in.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

So, I assume the tub is positioned so that when the monster in the mirror attacks, people will take a step back and fall? Seems a bit unrealistic, if you ask me.

Reminds me of my parents' old house. It's built on a hill, and there was a 10' drop from the front lawn to the back, done with a retaining wall. The problem was that it wasn't fenced at all. You could totally just walk off a 1-story drop, and there was a rumor that someone in the last family to live there actually did. (Mom converted it into a terrace pretty quick.)

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

What the actual fuck.

The most egregious part for me is the closets 4 inches from the lip of a soaker tub.
    Also this is the best way to break legs and or kill yourself at 3 in the morning when you fall in.

Just a bleary eyed stumble back from that sink. My bones hurt just thinking about it!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Before that image I was mildly interested in the idea of having a tub like that... But now I realize how bad of an idea it is! Maybe if it was in a room by itself it would work.

Previous owner wanted to bathe with the curtains open. Except you could still see titties when she got in/out. Which leads us back to

fuck tub

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    This is making me realize that D&D missed the amazement which was this house posted over on SE++, that everyone here needs to experience if you didn't see it over there.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Before that image I was mildly interested in the idea of having a tub like that... But now I realize how bad of an idea it is! Maybe if it was in a room by itself it would work.

It's not an entirely bad idea. It just needs to be at least 10 feet away from... well everything. Literally right next to the sink and closet is sheer stupidity.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Jragghen wrote: »
    This is making me realize that D&D missed the amazement which was this house posted over on SE++, that everyone here needs to experience if you didn't see it over there.

That's a building inspector's worst nightmare.

Also that roof is giving me twitches. IT FUNNELS RAINWATER ONTO THE FUCKING SKYLIGHT. HAVE YOU EVER HAD A SKYLIGHT? THEY ALL LEAK!!!

The previous owner was inspired by the Winchester house.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

It's not an entirely bad idea. It just needs to be at least 10 feet away from... well everything. Literally right next to the sink and closet is sheer stupidity.

My guess is that it comes with a cover that you can stand on when not in use.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Also you need to have more sex. Twice a year isn't gonna cut it.

He's married. That sounds about right.

Upon further reflection hough, I question the logistics of even getting in and out of a flush tub like that. There's a clear elevation change that's going to fuck up your center of gravity and balance. You're certainly not going to just step into it and are probably going to at least kneel down first. And then probably have to crawl out on your hands and knees. There are no handholds, nothing to grab on to, not even basic steps to get in and out.

It's something you'd at least design around. But even if that specific tub was away from everything, as is I'd be scared to death trying to get in and out of it while bone dry, to say nothing of it being slippery wet.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Upon further reflection hough, I question the logistics of even getting in and out of a flush tub like that. There's a clear elevation change that's going to fuck up your center of gravity and balance. You're certainly not going to just step into it and are probably going to at least kneel down first. And then probably have to crawl out on your hands and knees. There are no handholds, nothing to grab on to, not even basic steps to get in and out.

It's something you'd at least design around. But even if that specific tub was away from everything, as is I'd be scared to death trying to get in and out of it while bone dry, to say nothing of it being slippery wet.

We had a sunken bath ages ago, and while I don't remember the logistics of using it I don't recall me or my parents having any issues with it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    @Mugsley and @SeñorAmor thank you for the laughs.

I need it. I spent 4 hours sanding and painting an old exterior window today, then realized I have 4 more to go.... I honestly think it would be easier to just buy new windows then to sand and paint 4 more.... fml.

My wife and I have plenty of sex you bastards... There is my birthday, her birthday, our anniversary, flag day, and of course 4th of July(because I always salute America!). That is 5 times you asses!

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    And because I'm stuck on a tech bridge and bad bathrooms amuse and scare me, here's a carpeted monstrosity:

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Getting out of a nice warn bath onto a nice soft carpet seems like it would be really nice for the first time you use it.

Move to New Zealand
    Mortious wrote: »
    Getting out of a nice warn bath onto a nice soft carpet seems like it would be really nice for the first time you use it.

My grandparents had a carpeted bathroom. I could never figure out the logic there.

Also, allow me to present...The Throne:

Mortious wrote: »

My grandparents had a carpeted bathroom. I could never figure out the logic there.

There has to be a way to get it to work though.

The idea of stepping out of a shower and then rolling around on the floor to dry yourself is appealing.

No cold tiles, less slipperly etc.

Maybe something like fitted sheets, but for carpets so they can be replaced and washed?

Move to New Zealand
    On the one hand, if you bathe correctly and responsibly, there's next to no splashback or water leaking of any kind. You just waterproof everything around it anyways because, well accidents happen.

On the other hand, I don't see a shower curtain. That water is going everywhere.

On the third hand, and the most important hand. Is that an electric baseboard heater under the bathtub?!

On the one hand, if you bathe correctly and responsibly, there's next to no splashback or water leaking of any kind. You just waterproof everything around it anyways because, well accidents happen.

On the other hand, I don't see a shower curtain. That water is going everywhere.

On the third hand, and the most important hand. Is that an electric baseboard heater under the bathtub?!

Looks like a hot water register.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Apparently this isn't super uncommon and it's speculated that there's a requirement for height over sceptic tank, so that's the easiest way to reach it.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Why... Why is there a down spout coming horizontally out of the siding?

This discussion has been closed.