As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

10 minutes is too long to not have a [MOVIES] thread

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I have no doubt that if Nazis provided over 25% of a box office take, Disney would pander to Nazis.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    You might be confusing Disney and Henry Ford.

• MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    You might be confusing Disney and Henry Ford.

I think I'm confusing Walt Disney and Roger Meyers, creator of Itchy & Scratchy and also "Nazi Super-men Are Our Superiors"

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    wasn't Walt Disney himself, like, an... actual nazi

short answer, it's complicated and anti-semitism was popular and pervasive well before the reich

https://www.jewishpress.com/sections/features/features-on-jewish-world/walt-disney-mickey-mouse-and-the-nazis/2019/07/11/

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Before the Nazis came along being anti-semitic and into eugenics was like

very much en vogue in a lot of places, in Europe and the US

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Walt Disney did give a personal tour of his studio to Leni Riefenstahl and was involved with some of the sketchier German-American political clubs of the 1930s

And you know, EPCOT was originally a fascistic hellscape

Solar wrote: »

eugenics was partially codified into constitutional law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_v._Bell

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If Walt Disney had lived anywhere closer to Germany than he did he would have been a fuckin mega Nazi like turbo

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    But wait, what about Der Fuhrer's Face?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    But wait, what about Der Fuhrer's Face?

By that point the war was well on and Walt knew which way the wind was blowing

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Disney was involved with America First

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw9qJhvxytg

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

About twenty years ago, in a quiet moment during a friend's wedding, I idly cracked one of the old books lining the shelves of the old church where it was being held. This happened to be a pulp adventure novel written during and about the Pacific campaign of WW2, and the villain of the piece was explicitly noted to be exceptionally dangerous because his cunning but physically weak Asian blood was mixed with and fortified by good strong white blood.

I reflected at the irony that as these words were being written, a hemisphere away the Nazis were taking the very same sort of attitudes to their logical conclusion. And when they lost, and it all came out in those camp photos, eugenics suddenly became extremely unfashionable (at least in polite company). Their real crime, you see, was ruining crackpot racist "science" for everyone. :P

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Chumbawamba collaborated on an album with Negativland

It was called The ABC's of Anarchism

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I was introduced to Chumbawamba by a roommate in the early 90s before "Tubthumping" blew up. They were pretty much a part of the environment in our little punk/flop house as was right and proper. Decades later I would have the opportunity to meet Danbert Nobacon and have him as a guest on my podcast as he lives in Eastern Washington now which is kind of nuts if you think about it. Super nice guy and very inspiring.

Ataxrxes on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I know that Tubthumping might not have been everyones cup of tea but being banished to eastern washington seems like punishment doesn't fit the crime.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I love Tubthumping

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    every time I see that I think it's some sort of live action adaptation of Parasyte

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Emily Yoshida got Hugh Grant to say that he believe Paddington 2 is the best movie he's ever done

6F32U1X.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I need to watch those Paddingtons eventually

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I started the first one and I can see how it’s charming as hell. It was a little heavy for my (at the time 3 year old) kid, though, so I turned it off. Definitely want to see it.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Tubthumping is a great fucking album from top to bottom yeah.

I saw them live a few years back before they broke up and they were more or a folk act by then. They said they needed to chill out their sound because being angry for that long was tiring, which bummed me out at the time, but yeah no I totally understand that now.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm trying to remember the name of some old kung fu movies I had on vhs when I was younger. It was a series, and the things I can remember the most about them is one time there was a frog man, and also one time there was a man who fought with big rings on his arms. It might have been the Wu Tang series but I can't find any clips online to support my memory of them.

hmmm, further looking I definitely had Drunken Wu Tang because I remember that goofy main old man.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Well this is cool.
    Treasure box opened! 100 less noticed titles are now FREE to watch on YouTube. From martial arts to musicals, horror, comedy, love drama, thriller andHuangmei opera, all genres you name it. Watch for Free series: bit.ly/2YYtAwy | Fansite: bit.ly/2O5bpgg
    (Tweet from Shaw Brothers Universe)

This is going to take up so much of my time the rest of the year

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    every time I see that I think it's some sort of live action adaptation of Parasyte

There is one of those iirc

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to remember the name of some old kung fu movies I had on vhs when I was younger. It was a series, and the things I can remember the most about them is one time there was a frog man, and also one time there was a man who fought with big rings on his arms. It might have been the Wu Tang series but I can't find any clips online to support my memory of them.

hmmm, further looking I definitely had Drunken Wu Tang because I remember that goofy main old man.

There is a frog man and a dude with rings on his arms in Kung Fu Hustle. But it’s from 2004, so not terribly old.

why am I just now hearing about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws1YIKsuTjQ

@Rorshach Kringle aj you done fucked up not telling me

edited August 2019
    I am so excited for this. I haven’t loved a Terrence Malick movie since The Tree of Life (although Knight of Cups has really grown on me), but he’s still one of the most unique, sincere, and unapologetically spiritual filmmakers around, and I’m always in his corner.

https://youtu.be/qJXmdY4lVR0

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    I think malick makes not great movies, but they are(like tarsem singh) a goddamn sight to behold

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

"Rorshach Kringle" aj you done fucked up not telling me

oh so now ya'll are gonna pretend like you listen to me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

PiptheFair wrote: »

"Rorshach Kringle" aj you done fucked up not telling me

oh so now ya'll are gonna pretend like you listen to me
    I mean, we don't, but I ain't gonna pass on an opportunity to be righteously indignant

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The reviews are claiming Apocalypse Now: Final Cut is actually an improvement over the previous versions. Oh my God FINE I'll go watch a 40 year old movie in theaters
    I'll wait for Apocalypse Now: Final Cut: Redux

I think for Malick, art is a holy thing, maybe literally, and he has spent a lifetime trying to make spiritual connections in his own distinct way. It’s all very sincere, and not always fashionable (or even good!), but more and more I find myself respecting his intent.

I think about this Tarkovsky quote a lot
    Art only has the capacity, through shock and catharsis, to make the human soul receptive to good.

I think that’s what Malick is trying to do. And while his wide angle lenses and whispered narration doesn’t always connect, when it does, it casts a spell unlike anything else. How many people can pull that off? How many even really try?

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    oh those lenses in that movie seem like it would drive me nuts to watch

I could barely stand to look at The Favorite even though I loved what actually goes on in the movie

6F32U1X.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Harry Styles is playing Prince Eric in live-action Little Mermaid

well, apparently, no he's not

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, AMC Theaters posted a tweet that was up for like an hour that got deleted, wondered if they either posted it too quick before a deal was done or someone else was supposed to break the news. Was the former, my bad

Sweeney Tom on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    oh those lenses in that movie seem like it would drive me nuts to watch

I could barely stand to look at The Favorite even though I loved what actually goes on in the movie

man I loved the cinematography in that

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    (also i talked about the dolemite movie months ago)

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I would be more excited about the Dolemite movie if Wesley Snipes wasn't in it

Learning that he apparently abused Halle Berry and beat her so badly that she went 80% deaf in one ear reeeeeeeeally soured me on that asshole

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.