As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's get this [job] thread!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Come up to Seattle!

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I know I shouldn't care about my GPA so much for grad school, but damn it if I get my GPA to a 3.9 or above I graduate with highest distinction and I get a special hat and a colored rope! If video games have taught me everything its that special hats are cool.

Sadly I don't know if I can do it. I was at a 3.86 before the summer semester, because I have one A- and one B (grrrr) and after 2 classes with 100%'s in them my GPA rose to...3.88 to be fair though I just need another 0.02 to hit that hat level.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    @tynic don't work with that data often, but general rule is look at the data and fit the visual to the context in a way that best tells the story. Could be cluster dots, could be box/whiskers, could be bog standard dot+line.

That's extremely unhelpful but I appreciate the thought!

Ha! Yeah. If you can share the general shape of the distribution or the context I can probably be of more help. Good data viz is making the story and the viz inform each other, which often involves a lot of experimentation.
    Depending on the audience,more important is annotations on how to interpret.
    By annotations I mean large arrows with + or - on it or green/red.
    If possible, make them flash.
    People suck at reading charts

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @tynic don't work with that data often, but general rule is look at the data and fit the visual to the context in a way that best tells the story. Could be cluster dots, could be box/whiskers, could be bog standard dot+line.

That's extremely unhelpful but I appreciate the thought!

Ha! Yeah. If you can share the general shape of the distribution or the context I can probably be of more help. Good data viz is making the story and the viz inform each other, which often involves a lot of experimentation.
    Depending on the audience,more important is annotations on how to interpret.
    By annotations I mean large arrows with + or - on it or green/red.
    If possible, make them flash.
    People suck at reading charts

The context is simply that I don't know what biologists (or anyone really) are interested in or find informative when it comes to reporting on the results of mixed models, and I wondered if anyone here had preferred stats that they liked to see in graphical form. A lot of people don't even bother with a graphic and simply whack up a bunch of tables, which is not particularly appealing for a bunch of reasons. The confidence intervals of the fixed effects are the most statistically relevant, so often people will try and plot the independent model regressions, but that can look very messy and I'd prefer something that was more intuitively interpretable. Is it worth putting the random effect intercept variance into the visual, or does nobody give a shit? Is a q-q plot informative, or will that baffle most of the readers? etc. etc.

Basically I'm asking not so much HOW to visualise, as WHAT.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    So what's the appropriate punishment for an IT guy that leaves and didn't leave any documentation at all?

After I hunt him down, of course.

Because this is me currently, except I haven't left yet.

... um...

be gentle and think about how much was on their plate?

Yeah, I know our IT department had been trimmed down with the LEAN bullshit to the point that it almost non functional and the people who were retained are working 80 hour weeks. Many of them are salaried for 45 hours a week rate

Unionise.

I'm actually preparing for this, but I have to build up three months worth of living expenses as a savings first, because if the wrong people find out, I could be fired instantly

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Something to keep in mind: A learning management system is one of your core competences. It's literally the service you are selling, and it should be treated with that much love and attention. It is one of those things that differentiates you from your competition. Needless to say, it is very much worth something to dump resources in.

fortunately as a public high school teacher i'm not selling anything. i understand the potential for a well managed and consistently used LMS to be a fundamental aspect of the learning environment, especially for college students who do far more work outside of the classroom than in it. but for the majority of high school teachers it's still just a tool to share files and maybe accept assessments. and kids will never be able to rely on it for vital information because they'll always have one or two subject pages, depending on the teacher, that will just be black holes.
    Baidol wrote: »
    @bsjezz I currently use Canvas at the university level and can give you perspectives from that end.

rad! i'm really just interested in cool functionality you've had experience with, particularly "LMIs" / apps. i'm really interested in peer-to-peer feedback functions and anything that can make a course page feel more dynamic and rewarding for students

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    15 years I've been in the Navy

15 years of hurricanes, war zones, and submarines without a single major injury

One week in to my Chief's training and I run face first into a wall and land on my wrist fracturing it

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    15 years I've been in the Navy

15 years of hurricanes, war zones, and submarines without a single major injury

One week in to my Chief's training and I run face first into a wall and land on my wrist fracturing it

Has it only been a week?
    Sheesh. Sorry man, hope you feel better.

PSN: jfrofl
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Right before the benedryl kicked in, was informed family emergency has kicked sand in the face of my budget to the tune of $200 or so.

Really wanted that engine flush

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Client is late to give us info we need. We follow up repeatedly, finally get an incomplete answer well past the deadline we set, along with them lying about leaving us multiple voicemails.

Continue to try to hunt them down for the rest of the information we need. Finally get on the phone with the contact who is real surly and acts like they gave us everything we needed before and I have to act like I'm the asshole to appease them.

Also I'm betting that they come back later on and claim that they told me something different than what they said on the phone today.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Something to keep in mind: A learning management system is one of your core competences. It's literally the service you are selling, and it should be treated with that much love and attention. It is one of those things that differentiates you from your competition. Needless to say, it is very much worth something to dump resources in.

fortunately as a public high school teacher i'm not selling anything. i understand the potential for a well managed and consistently used LMS to be a fundamental aspect of the learning environment, especially for college students who do far more work outside of the classroom than in it. but for the majority of high school teachers it's still just a tool to share files and maybe accept assessments. and kids will never be able to rely on it for vital information because they'll always have one or two subject pages, depending on the teacher, that will just be black holes.
    bsjezz I currently use Canvas at the university level and can give you perspectives from that end.

rad! i'm really just interested in cool functionality you've had experience with, particularly "LMIs" / apps. i'm really interested in peer-to-peer feedback functions and anything that can make a course page feel more dynamic and rewarding for students

good point, I was thinking in a university context. Though I do like thinking of everyone as my customers, because we are providing a service. In a high school, you are taking tax dollars and stewarding them into the education of your students, thus their education is your product. :) At least in my mind. I should also note that my school's fairly well known as a teaching university (it was originally called Illinois State Normal University), so that kind of idea is always in the back of my head.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because of the recent stress test for Classic wow and people making 2005 comments and jokes it hit me like a brick wall as though I live in a different area it's the same problems {well it's been the same problems over this time but I had a shitty job to distract me from it} Just the all consuming dread sunk in. I know leaving is my "positive" option again But I also feel that sad siren call to go back to the hell known to men just to remedially earn money

I am both just so frustrated and depressed about it

I'm not big on the student == customer construction in either secondary or tertiary education, for a whole swathe of reasons.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If nothing else it's kind of heartening to know that if I suddenly left here, several people would have a LOT more work to do.

• IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I call upon the knowledge of the secret Seattle thread! @Weaver @Janson @Moriveth and others who I can't remember right now!

My wife and I are heading up to Seattle in a couple weeks to spend a few days being tourists. I'm looking for out of the way cool things to do besides the big ones. We plan on getting a City Pass, checking out the Art Museum, Space Needle, EMP and harbor cruises.

We also need food recommendations.

My stylist suggested Rocco's Pizza, Alchemy, and Biscuit Bitch.

Edit, also apparently a great donut place down by the Ferry.l

If you are in any way interested in airplanes or flight, check out the Museum of Flight. It's a bit south of Seattle, but very interesting with a very large collection of planes and items from the space program. North of Seattle has the Funko Headquarters in Everett. If you're into Funko Pops and other toys, it's worth a visit.

@janson Katsuburger has my absolute favorite milkshake ever. The Kinako Goma shake is so amazing. Kinako is a soy (?) powder that is used with sweets for flavoring, and goma are black sesame seeds. It tastes close to a peanut butter shake, but not quite.

Moriveth wrote: »
    If nothing else it's kind of heartening to know that if I suddenly left here, several people would have a LOT more work to do.

Because I still go back to the hell known to men as a customer the former people I used to watch over make fun of what a shitshow it turned into
    I know I was getting down on myself for busting my ass and still getting yelled at because I was not towing their line. But it's both nice to see I was making a difference and had the respect of them.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm not big on the student == customer construction in either secondary or tertiary education, for a whole swathe of reasons.

I can see that. It's just my mental construction - I'm a civil servant, and my role here is to support the education of our students in any way that is appropriate and beneficial.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Because of the recent stress test for Classic wow and people making 2005 comments and jokes it hit me like a brick wall as though I live in a different area it's the same problems {well it's been the same problems over this time but I had a shitty job to distract me from it} Just the all consuming dread sunk in. I know leaving is my "positive" option again But I also feel that sad siren call to go back to the hell known to men just to remedially earn money

Do not go back

Are you eligible for unemployment? Assistance from the VA?

If so, have you filed for benefits?

edited August 2019

I can see that. It's just my mental construction - I'm a civil servant, and my role here is to support the education of our students in any way that is appropriate and beneficial.

I think conceiving of your job as a support role - particularly when you're in administration - is extremely on point and well-founded.

'Customer' is considerably more loaded, and there's a lot of people in many countries who are seeking to systematically dismantle public education who like to talk about students as 'customers', because then they can set up a framework where the university (or school) is simply a delivery vehicle for the type of experience/career that the student is 'owed' by virtue of paying into the system. It's pretty toxic.

tynic on

Do not go back

Don't know I put in the paper work 4 weeks ago have not heard back from the VA they helped me put in for unemployment as well

I think conceiving of your job as a support role - particularly when you're in administration - is extremely on point and well-founded.

'Customer' is considerably more loaded, and there's a lot of people in many countries who are seeking to systematically dismantle public education who like to talk about students as 'customers', because then they can set up a framework where the university (or school) is simply a delivery vehicle for the type of experience/career that the student is 'owed' by virtue of paying into the system. It's pretty toxic.

Ew. Yeah.

My use of "Customer" comes out of my time trying to break my habit of seeing everyone as "users," because in IT that tends to dehumanize and other. So forcing your mind into said servant position makes you more amicable to help them.

That is, of course, assuming you don't hate your customers. Which I can't bring myself to do unless they are jerks who yell at me on the phone for 2 hours straight.

I do like that our university is focusing on retention rates and graduation rates. Our BI efforts are continually talking about how to increase the graduation rate, and only sometimes do we cynically joke about that being so advancement can ask them for money! :)

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's been somewhat interesting transitioning from working in a place where the residents are called inmates, at best, to a place where everyone is a patient

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    the canvas keynote was anchored around their ability to increase retention rate

i was like, i wish our retention rate would go down a bit

*glares at one particular kid*

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Just witnessed a man try to go up a down escalator

It did not go as he expected
    His explanation was “Damn, I’m too high.”

Do not go back

Don't know I put in the paper work 4 weeks ago have not heard back from the VA they helped me put in for unemployment as well

That is a great step in the right direction! Do not turn around!

Please

You deserve happiness and success

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    bsjezz wrote:
    bsjezz I currently use Canvas at the university level and can give you perspectives from that end.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience in the things you are looking for. My courses are all lower-division science service courses where Canvas is essentially a one-stop shop for all course materials (blank lecture slides, recorded lectures, quizzes, etc.) without much student-student interaction online. I know that Canvas has discussion, peer-review, etc. options, but I've never used them. I have used Piazza, which can integrate into Canvas, as a substitute for Canvas course discussions.

I believe I once attended a talk where an instructor for a flight course had pieces of a flight badge appear on the student's homepage as they completed successive modules in the course, but I suspect that required some heavy assistance from the university support team.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I was told today that they've never seen anyone learn my new role as fast as I have, and I'm slated to train my own back-up next month now.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yay. Just had a mini panic attack about freshman first day tomorrow. I've calmed down a bit now. Fuck, teaching is stressful and students haven't even arrived yet.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    My first teaching crisis has come two weeks before the semester begins. The good news is I learned about it 1.5 weeks before the crisis arrives instead of one day.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My first teaching crisis has come two weeks before the semester begins. The good news is I learned about it 1.5 weeks before the crisis arrives instead of one day.

I have no identifiable reason for my panic attack. The only thing I do tomorrow is be plesant and welcoming and take the photos I'm given and stick them into a slideshow for the rally at the end of the day. I do basically nothing compared to most of the rest of the staff.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Speaking of dim lighting. The toilet at work has enough natural light that you dont need to turn the light on, at first. But i swear this toilet is cursed. Intead of adjusting to the light, it gets dimmer the longer you're in there.

Gvzbgul on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm in IT. EVERYONE is my customer.

Everyone.
    Norman-leon-35112904-248-140.gif

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    More payroll correspondence. Yeah, we’re probably going to go back to processing payroll manually. No one will get direct deposits but oh well.

Me, a while ago: Hello! So I see you successfully updated our bank account (after two months of back-and-forth), so the direct deposits and payroll fees are being withdrawn correctly, but the tax amounts aren’t being withdrawn. Obviously you need to file our Q2 taxes so wtf?
    Payroll Service person: Can I confirm the account?
    Me: Certainly! Yes! That is correct. Like I said, you’ve obviously updated it so I’m not sure why the taxes aren’t being withdrawn?
    Them: Hey, you owe us taxes.
    Me: I... I know? That’s what my email is about?
    Them: Hey, you owe us taxes
    Them: Since you have not responded to us we will now charge you $500 in penalties
    Me: Look, I emailed multiple times and here’s your proof, you never properly responded to my previous emails, wtf.
    Them: Okay wire us $9k
    Me: Great! Finally! Here’s $9k. Look, I show that we owe you an additional $6k, so please get back to me on that.
    Them: Hey you owe us $15k.
    Me: What about that $9k we already wired you?
    Them: That’s for payroll tax variance. It doesn’t count towards the $15k owed.
    Me: What is a $9k variance and how did you come up with that, wtf, there is no variance for any of our other companies?
    Them: *yet to respond*

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Speaking of dim lighting. The toilet at work has enough natural light that you dont need to turn the light on, at first. But i swear this toilet is cursed. Intead of adjusting to the light, it gets dimmer the longer you're in there.

Well yeah. The sun moves.

chromdom wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Well yeah. The sun moves.

Quicker than your bowels?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Depending on how much cheese I've had...
    Besides, who doesn't take time to shitpost?

chromdom on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm in IT. EVERYONE is my customer.

Everyone.
    Norman-leon-35112904-248-140.gif

I spent more time than I should have trying to parse the connection to The Clown Movie.

This forum has ruined me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    More payroll correspondence. Yeah, we’re probably going to go back to processing payroll manually. No one will get direct deposits but oh well.

Me, a while ago: Hello! So I see you successfully updated our bank account (after two months of back-and-forth), so the direct deposits and payroll fees are being withdrawn correctly, but the tax amounts aren’t being withdrawn. Obviously you need to file our Q2 taxes so wtf?
    Me: Certainly! Yes! That is correct. Like I said, you’ve obviously updated it so I’m not sure why the taxes aren’t being withdrawn?
    Them: Since you have not responded to us we will now charge you $500 in penalties
    Me: Look, I emailed multiple times and here’s your proof, you never properly responded to my previous emails, wtf.
    Me: Great! Finally! Here’s $9k. Look, I show that we owe you an additional $6k, so please get back to me on that.
    Me: What is a $9k variance and how did you come up with that, wtf, there is no variance for any of our other companies?

Related via billing problems

A rep for the company that manages the parking garage for the property we're in came by and delivered to me three months worth of invoices for vendor parking. We stopped covering vendor parking over a year ago, so the fuck? Looking forward to seeing my inbox in the morning.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

When I first got this job, we had an armored truck service come up to me and ask for a bunch of money to true up accounts from over a year prior. And they couldn't tell me what deposits were off or any specifics, just give us this money yo.

Accounting is great until you have to deal with other people

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    so my boss was all piss grumpy last friday because I spent 3 hours working on a feature that would allow our billers to lock accounts so orders couldn't be entered on them if they owed money

you see our front office staff doesn't like confrontation and refuses to just decline care if a patient won't pay their copay or owes money. It's also against our agreement with the insurance provider to not collect that money, we could potentially be dropped if there was a large enough pool of patients and they all told on us. There wasn't really an inbuilt way in my EHR for it because before like 3 years ago it was never a problem but then the two old ladies quit and newer ones took over who have anxiety. But that's not even a real problem because the billing manager said "hey just call me I'll collect from them." But they'd just avoid it completely and create their fee ticket for them (those sheets of papers with tests marked off when you go to the doctor) and let them through.

So I created this thing to disallow anyone just circumventing those collection notices, my boss got all pissy that I "wasted time" and within 3 days it already paid triple the time I spent on it because we were able to snag nearly half a grand in revenue. Think of how much we haven't been collecting.

I'm going to ask for a big raise next year.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me