As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seteth Has A Request Of You, And It's That You Play [Fire Emblem Three Houses]

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ferdinand you're so fucking stupid

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I like Edelgard a lot, and especially her supports with Byleth, but i don't particularly enjoy her supports with everyone else except Dorothea.

The rest all feel like strangers talking.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Dorothea ended up paired off with Manuela in my game and it was perfect. if you haven't seen it, treat yourself to the support convos.
    I love everything about these 2 going "You know what? Men SUCK. Forget chasing them! Let's pair up instead!"

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I told my kids last week that Manuela’s VA is Ash from Pokémon and every day since Anya has come up to me and exclaimed ‘I CAN’T BELIEVE MANUELA IS ASH’.

That makes a lot of sense, Manuela's VA was putting in veteran work during the Cyril C support.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I really like Hubert and Bernadetta for some reason.

Once you get past the initial ridiculousness it's almost kind of sweet?
    In their paired ending it mentions that they wear matching embroidered flowers that Bernie made and d'awwwwwww

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    In Dorothea and Hubert's paired ending
    It talks about her rejoining the opera and doing a tour, and Hubert comes to every show, but then they say it was a covert operation to route out dissidents and fucking of course it was, why not?

Felix and Lysithea's paired ending
    Felix is doing mercenary shit and comes across Lysithea and her family baking sweets for everyone and decides he wants to be the best sweet baker in the world and he and Lysithea invent sweets to bake that become renowned the world over.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    i'm like 3 chapters from the end of the game and caspar is still in the "maybe if i weaken some bad guys to let him score kills he can level up and be good" phase

him and ferdinand both are like 15 points behind everyone else in strength

Any chance you can put Killing Blow on him? If he's got decent speed that's an extra 24 damage per initiative if he's using his fists

dN0T6ur.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    I like Edelgard a lot, and especially her supports with Byleth, but i don't particularly enjoy her supports with everyone else except Dorothea.

The rest all feel like strangers talking.

Her support with Lysithea is very good.

Edelgard has very good supports with Hubert, Ferdinand, Dorothea, Byleth, Lysithea, Linhardt, Hanneman... I'd argue she has a lot more full-blown winners than she does middling ones. Probably her only one I'd point to as being "weak" is her one with Bernadetta, and even that one's pretty nice in the A support

dN0T6ur.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    You know what support is hilarious?

Shamir teaching Raphael how to be stealthy.

I cannot approve of any Bernie max rank support that isn't Raphael.

They're so good for each other.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Raph + Leonie
    I don't even care if they supposedly don't have a true paired ending. They are together in my game as far as I'm concerned

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I started a NG+ Beagles run

Got Ferdinand's C-rank
    Guess I've defeated two demonic beasts in a Support before I've even seen one in the story :P

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited August 2019
    This isn't a specific spoiler for any path, it's just something you can get through one of the advice questions in the chapel (and most people won't see it just because there are so many of these):

So, when Hubert was little he wanted to be a Pegasus Knight

They

They need to include the Dark Flier in the DLC, and make it usable by male characters, so my evil son can live his dream

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Wyborn wrote: »
    This isn't a specific spoiler for any path, it's just something you can get through one of the advice questions in the chapel (and most people won't see it just because there are so many of these):

They

They need to include the Dark Flier in the DLC, and make it usable by male characters, so my evil son can live his dream

But he's scared of heights!!!

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

They

Thinking about it, Hubert might actually be one of my favorite character in this game?

I love that he just fully leans in to his Evil Goth aesthetic, and that (general Hubert support spoilers)
    a bunch of his supports imply that he only keeps the Evil Advisor bit going because he (and possibly Edelgard as well) thinks it's hilarious.

Also, in a house full of insecure family issues and tragic pasts, it is very funny to me that the edgy goth kid is probably the most well adjusted one.

Crimson Flower Chapter 12
    Hubert's line delivery when he announced that he had his father assassinated was hilarious.

Sometimes you just gotta kill your dad and gloat about it, ya know?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    The chapel questions are hilarious when you’ve learned everyone’s profiles and can pander to them with your answers.

BE Chapter 13, this route is rough
    Why’d I have to kill Judith? Why would Byleth so willingly invade the Alliance (especially since Byleth hasn’t been privy to the prior 5 years’ events). Why is Byleth just rolling over like a good little dog and accepting everything Edelgard is planning and saying?

It still doesn’t make a ton of sense that Byleth would have ever followed Edelgard to begin with; I guess this is my punishment.

At least the battle only took 5 mins because I’m a little overpowered at this point and didn’t have to strategize at all.

edited August 2019
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

They

But he's scared of heights!!!

Sounds like he might benefit from some exposure therapy! If he wants to try it, I will support him

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    So I'm about 40 hours into this game, playing the Blue Lion path since Grey Ghost and Blankzilla nabbed the other two routes before I could choose, and also because Dimitri is my King in the North

Y'all ever think about how this game would be a lot shorter if the monastery just hired a therapist

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited August 2019
    Cello wrote: »
    So I'm about 40 hours into this game, playing the Blue Lion path since Grey Ghost and Blankzilla nabbed the other two routes before I could choose, and also because Dimitri is my King in the North

Y'all ever think about how this game would be a lot shorter if the monastery just hired a therapist

Hahaha, yes

Byleth needs one too, tbh

What chapter/story stage are you at?

Janson on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Hahaha, yes

Seriously, of course all the kids are fucked up, you hired Byleth, Byleth hasn't even been to school!!

I am past the time skip
    We're marching to the capital and just got reinforcements from Felix's Dad and Dimitri really just needs to *talk* to somebody

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Who needs a therapist when you have an advice box that literally anyone can read through

Hahaha, yes

Seriously, of course all the kids are fucked up, you hired Byleth, Byleth hasn't even been to school!!

I am past the time skip
    We're marching to the capital and just got reinforcements from Felix's Dad and Dimitri really just needs to *talk* to somebody
    GIVE MY BOY A HUG

(Seriously, it’s pretty heavily implied how touch-starved he is, too)

And yes, yes, lots of talking, too.

The chapel questions are hilarious when you’ve learned everyone’s profiles and can pander to them with your answers.

BE Chapter 13, this route is rough
    Why’d I have to kill Judith? Why would Byleth so willingly invade the Alliance (especially since Byleth hasn’t been privy to the prior 5 years’ events). Why is Byleth just rolling over like a good little dog and accepting everything Edelgard is planning and saying?

It still doesn’t make a ton of sense that Byleth would have ever followed Edelgard to begin with; I guess this is my punishment.

At least the battle only took 5 mins because I’m a little overpowered at this point and didn’t have to strategize at all.
    I mean, I think it makes pretty good sense

Byleth believes in what Edelgard is striving for: a world free of the nobility system and the crests, where the church does not act as the ultimate arbiter of righteousness, and humanity is free from the strangling hand of the gods and those who style themselves as gods

Considering that Edelgard has half the lords of Fodlan on her side after distributing her manifesto and has mostly just held on to Garreg Mach while Claude made sure that the Alliance didn't interfere in the battle at all, the five year war has mostly just been border skirmishes before Byleth's return. Edelgard is the strategist of the army, while Byleth is the tactician; Byleth directs a given battle, but Edelgard sees the war from a much larger scale. To her, they can bring the Alliance into the fold through two battles, which is about as bloodless as such a thing could be made to be according to her understanding

The big thing about how Edelgard and Byleth relate to each other is that they are the two essential halves of the campaign to bring down the church: neither could accomplish what the other does, and each trusts the other implicitly. If they didn't trust each other... well, Byleth would have sided with Rhea, I think

dN0T6ur.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    crimson rose chapter 13
    mostly i just have a hard time believing that invading the alliance would ever be a good idea

like, invading a sovereign nation to kill the factions there that are against you seems like a good way to make more of the factions turn against you, not turn the country into an ally

if it had been styled more like a covert operation by the strike force that the rest of the alliance saw as a mysterious string of deaths then i still wouldn't like it but at least i'd understand it

Speed Racer on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

Sometimes, only sometimes, the internet is a good place.

edited August 2019
    crimson rose chapter 13
    mostly i just have a hard time believing that invading the alliance would ever be a good idea

like, invading a sovereign nation to kill the factions there that are against you seems like a good way to make more of the factions turn against you, not turn the country into an ally

if it had been styled more like a covert operation by the strike force that the rest of the alliance saw as a mysterious string of deaths then i still wouldn't like it but at least i'd understand it

Crimson Flower Chapter 13
    This assumes that you're going to change the minds of people who want to join your side in the war by facilitating their joining your side in the war

The Leicester Alliance isn't actually a sovereign nation, it's a collection of independent states that share a loose government headed by its five largest houses; what Edelgard is doing here is making it reasonable for the half of them that want to align with her to actually do so by tipping the balance of power that Claude has worked so hard to maintain

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    crimson rose chapter 13

This assumes that you're going to change the minds of people who want to join your side in the war by facilitating their joining your side in the war

The Leicester Alliance isn't actually a sovereign nation, it's a collection of city-states that share a loose government headed by its five largest houses; what Edelgard is doing here is making it reasonable for the half of them that want to align with her to actually do so by tipping the balance of power that Claude has worked so hard to maintain
    the game doesn't spend much time here cuz it's interested in other things, but like

they're an alliance. even if the different houses disagree, they're still, y'know, allies. by invading and killing her political opponents even though they were maintaining neutrality, edelgard undermines the argument that her war is morally justified. moderates would be horrified by her actions, and anyone that was on her side because they thought she was in the right would be given pause, and a lot of them would probably abandon their previous stance. i'm just not convinced that attacking the alliance would do anything other than needlessly start a war on a second front. it's a plot contrivance that i just kind of have to not think about to keep enjoying the story.

Speed Racer on
    edited August 2019
    crimson rose chapter 13

The Leicester Alliance isn't actually a sovereign nation, it's a collection of city-states that share a loose government headed by its five largest houses; what Edelgard is doing here is making it reasonable for the half of them that want to align with her to actually do so by tipping the balance of power that Claude has worked so hard to maintain
    the game doesn't spend much time here cuz it's interested in other things, but like

they're an alliance. even if the different houses disagree, they're still, y'know, allies. by invading and killing her political opponents even though they were maintaining neutrality, edelgard undermines the argument that her war is morally justified. moderates would be horrified by her actions, and anyone that was on her side because they thought she was in the right would be given pause, and a lot of them would probably abandon their previous stance. i'm just not convinced that attacking the alliance would do anything other than needlessly start a war on a second front. it's a plot contrivance that i just kind of have to not think about to keep enjoying the story.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, then; I thought it made pretty good sense in the sociopolitical context they'd cooked up
    it does need to be said that they're not much of an alliance, though, and that what Claude was actually doing for five years was keeping them from all going to war with each other

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Finally got to the timeskip
    Ferdinand cut your hair you damn hippie
    Dorothea where is your JoJo hat

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    in the trash where it belongs

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    in the trash where it belongs
    I WILL DIG IT OUT OF THE TRASH AND WEAR IT MYSELF

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I'd pay 99 cents for that to come back in the timeskip.

Other thoughts
    Nobody seems terribly bothered that I've told them "Oh I just slept for five years and now I'm awake"

Though granted before they last saw me my hair and eyes spontaneously changed color so...

Ashe got hot

Bernie's hair is weird now

Petra's outfit fucking rules

Ferdinand, I know I said it already, but cut your damn hair

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    crimson rose chapter 13

We'll have to agree to disagree here, then; I thought it made pretty good sense in the sociopolitical context they'd cooked up
    it does need to be said that they're not much of an alliance, though, and that what Claude was actually doing for five years was keeping them from all going to war with each other

Also
    This is ignoring that Edelgard isn't just warring to get vassal states. She's actively out to dismantle the class system. Nobles who join on effectively are giving up a system of inheritance that has benefitted them for ages; this is also why there's probably such a high number of states opposing her despite thinking that the church is trash.

Also it probably means that the commoner population is largely in support of her, especially in a Crimson Flower run. We just don't get to hear those voices

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    SilverWind wrote: »
    crimson rose chapter 13

Also
    This is ignoring that Edelgard isn't just warring to get vassal states. She's actively out to dismantle the class system. Nobles who join on effectively are giving up a system of inheritance that has benefitted them for ages; this is also why there's probably such a high number of states opposing her despite thinking that the church is trash.

Also it probably means that the commoner population is largely in support of her, especially in a Crimson Flower run. We just don't get to hear those voices

I’m not so sure
    I forget the exact line, but Edelgard’s already made it clear that she’s willing to sacrifice commoner bodies to achieve the end results, and how much are people really given a choice in that?

For all of her ideals, she’s still the Empress, and from the commoner perspective (obviously we learn otherwise) she’s had a privileged life and went to an elite school where her classmates were nobility.

SilverWind wrote: »
    crimson rose chapter 13

Also

To build on this just a tiny bit more
    It's revealed in Lysithea's backstory that the Alliance basically abandoned her house after they gave even a tiny bit of aid to a part of Empire territory, which allowed them to fall from grace and nearly cease to exist, which is what allowed The Twisted to show up and do what they did

The Alliance is basically Greece and they care about fucking with each other a lot more than they care about the rest of the continent

dN0T6ur.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    crimson rose chapter 13

Part of what shapes this as plot contrivance or something else, is if you have recruited certain folk in this path I think.
    Like Lorenz is like,
    "Yo, the moment you roll over Claude, the Gloucester Family will rally the others who are waiting for the empire."
    You get the sense that the Gloucester House will be dealing whatever political pushback there might be,
    So there is this immediate idea of the lack of an unified alliance. You get a greater sense that these are rebels of imperial rebels (the kingdom), and that some of the houses are just waiting to join back up with the empire.
    There's also some less explicit but interesting bits found in dialog and things like the roster "notes" personal history log
    Where are other alliance houses that are stated to support the empire with the recruitment of golden deer members, that you can find in their time skip roster log. It's also just kinda heartbreaking to read about how some of the folk you recruit from the kingdom wind up being disowned as children.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    There’s more I can say but unfortunately I can’t say it without spoiling the Blue Lions route. Spoilers for Act 1 of the Lions:
    I feel like the game shoots itself in the foot with Edelgard a bit by not knuckling down on the church being even half as evil in the other routes.

But it’s also interesting that there’s no equivalent scene to the Blue Lions chapter 11 scene. Seeing deranged, evilly laughing Dimitri (who cracks a fucking skull with one hand) would have gone a long way to bolstering Byleth’s support for Edelgard.

But no! Dimitri only gets that cut scene in his own route!

This discussion has been closed.