As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Is Rebel Galaxy space GTA x Fallout and how have I not heard of it before now?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

It is Privateer plus space cowboy aesthetics.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

No, it's a space sim like Elite or Freelancer or Privateer. On the arcadey side of things. Prequel to Rebel Galaxy from a few years ago.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I liked the big capital ship black flag but in space style combat in the first one, I'm a bit disappointed that Outlaw looks to only be more small-scale fighter stuff instead but I'll probably still pick it up eventually.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I hear what Austin Walker is saying about Rebel Galaxy but as someone who has never played Freespace or anything like it I bet that shit will blow my mind

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    New Humble Jackbox Party Bundle 2019:

sb8i0nqukeor.jpg

$1
    • YOU DON'T KNOW JACK Vol. 1 XL
    • YOU DON'T KNOW JACK TELEVISION
    • YOU DON'T KNOW JACK MOVIES
    • YOU DON'T KNOW JACK SPORTS
    • DON'T KNOW JACK Vol. 6 The Lost Gold
    • YOU DON'T KNOW JACK HEADRUSH

BTA:
    • Drawful 2
    • Quiplash
    • Fibbage XL
    • YOU DON'T KNOW JACK Vol. 2
    • YOU DON'T KNOW JACK Vol. 3
    • YOU DON'T KNOW JACK Vol. 4 The Ride

$12
    • The Jackbox Party Pack
    • The Jackbox Party Pack 2

$15:
    • The Jackbox Party Pack 3
    • The Jackbox Party Pack 4

HiT BiT on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    that's a BIG JACK ATTACK

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    that is a very good bundle

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    How simmy is rebel galaxy

Tube wrote: »

not very, it's about as arcade-y as wing commander or freespace, not really approaching anything like Elite

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Rebel galaxy outlawlooks like the game I though rebel galaxy

It's probs a good game but the limited plane bummed me out and I never got around to it cause I suck

icGJy2C.png
    edited August 2019
    Where is my Porco Russo game with space-simmish gameplay where I get to be a fascist-killing pig?

Couscous on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    https://rebel-galaxy.com/faq/ this faq is very good

Couscous wrote: »
    Where is my Porco Russo game with space-simmish gameplay where I get to be a fascist-killing pig?

eWu3Mpr.jpg
    man where is my crimson skies remake

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Q: Hey, so Rebel Galaxy was that game where you couldn't fly up or down, did you make it so...
    A: Yes. OK? Yes, you can fly up and down.

Yeah it is!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Oh shit you play as Juno?

Also maybe I should get around to finishing the first one.

steam_sig.png
    Brolo wrote: »

https://imgur.com/eWu3Mpr.jpg

The PC one or the Xbox one?

Brolo wrote: »

https://imgur.com/eWu3Mpr.jpg

The PC one or the Xbox one?

both

but especially PC

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

By default not really, you can autopilot a lot of the sections where you’d be flying through open space to a destination, docking is automated and I don’t think there’s a way to turn that off. There are two playstyles that make it a bit harder, “sim” turns off flight assist but keeps aim assist, “Old school” disables both. And both those disable third person view.

I can’t speak to either of those because I’m playing on normal with a Xbox controller.

Unrelated to your question but I just found out if you have a tractor beam you can suck up the pirates floating in space after you blow up their ship and turn them into a station to cash.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Were the xbox and pc versions of Crimson Skies different in games?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

By default not really, you can autopilot a lot of the sections where you’d be flying through open space to a destination, docking is automated and I don’t think there’s a way to turn that off. There are two playstyles that make it a bit harder, “sim” turns off flight assist but keeps aim assist, “Old school” disables both. And both those disable third person view.

I can’t speak to either of those because I’m playing on normal with a Xbox controller.

Unrelated to your question but I just found out if you have a tractor beam you can suck up the pirates floating in space after you blow up their ship and turn them into a station to cash.

Is there an option to liberate space slaves? I always waffled on whether i should pick them up because on the one hand contraband, on the other I feel bad just leaving that container out there.

steam_sig.png
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Were the xbox and pc versions of Crimson Skies different in games?

there was an xbox-only sequel to crimson skies:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGtjEeE3A4

PC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49laxMeLS2o

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has introduced me to Poker Dice and I think I need to get some of these for real

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Is there an option to liberate space slaves? I always waffled on whether i should pick them up because on the one hand contraband, on the other I feel bad just leaving that container out there.

Liberate? Haven’t seen that yet. These people I suck up to send to jail I can apparently enslave instead, that’s like close to what you wanted right?

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

Wow, the offer of getting my ship 3D printed and mailed to me is pretty damn cool. I wonder if they do it in whatever custom colors I choose.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Q: This looks like it has aim and flight assists. Is this game for babies?
    A: Yes this game is for babies (i.e. us), but also we have pro modes for not-babies.

I appreciate baby-made games.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    godmode wrote: »

Wow, the offer of getting my ship 3D printed and mailed to me is pretty damn cool. I wonder if they do it in whatever custom colors I choose.

Star Trek Online does this and I've been incredibly tempted until I see they're like $350 USD for the fully painted ones.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    wow I had no idea Crimson Skies (Xbox) was a sequel, holy moly

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    wow I had no idea Crimson Skies (Xbox) was a sequel, holy moly

Yeah, it was during that only-recently-ended era where Microsoft put every one of their games on Xbox and gave the PC gaming the finger.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    AC Odyssey,

I have several questions

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    This just in:

Dicey Dungeons is real good.

Robot is great.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    This just in:

Dicey Dungeons is real good.

Robot is great.

I just picked it up and i'm about to start streaming it, going in basically blind. Link in my sig if anyone wants to see the disaster happen in real time!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Dipped my toe into Griftlands. Got one day into a run and died. It was slightly demoralizing, but I learned a lot about the mechanics and started to get a feel for builds/synergies.

My second run, I made it all the way through the present story content.

The two systems ("battle" and "negotiation") feed into one another in really, really interesting ways. There's the obvious, mechanical way - choosing how to approach a quest based on what they're strong in and which meter of yours is higher. But there's this other way that they interact, where your performance/decisions in one system and impact the other.

Like, okay. Say you wanna rattle a person who wants to fight you. You "negotiate" to intimidate them. If you succeed, they'll be at a disadvantage in the "battle" because you got in their head.

Then say you win that battle. When you get them on the ropes, they try to surrender. You can let them live, and they'll appreciate that. Be your buddy, maybe reward you. Or you can execute them.

In an early battle in my second run, I executed a motherfucker. He was an asshole. And that gave me a card. A negotiation card. I was building a reputation for violence, for following through on threats. It made me more effective at hostile, threatening negotiations. So guess who started getting a lot more aggressive in their problem-solving?

Because I did a brutal thing, I mechanically became more brutal. My decision impacted the way I played, which impacted my decisions, which fed back into how I play. Role-playing games don't usually have this level of narrative/gameplay cohesion. I am DEEPLY impressed.

The story content is currently limited in scope (I saw a lot of repeated stuff just between my first and second runs), so there's still a lot to come. But holy crow am I impressed.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting to dip my toes into Griftlands because I've already got Nowhere Prophet and will probably be picking up Dicey Dungeons soon

But ugh it sounds so good

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

Star Trek Online does this and I've been incredibly tempted until I see they're like $350 USD for the fully painted ones.

Fuck. You should not have told me this. I had one specific custom Starfleet ship I really liked.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I dunno about the sequel, but the first Rebel Galaxy is essentially "Assassin's Creed Black Flag naval combat but spaceships and slide guitars"

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I dunno about the sequel, but the first Rebel Galaxy is essentially "Assassin's Creed Black Flag naval combat but spaceships and slide guitars"

ehhh it wasn't quite as good as black flag, later builds were real broken, both for and against you. Goddamn was that sound track amazing though. I'm really excited to download the new one tonight though.

Also I would love to get a stand alone black flag style game, give me a bigger map (maybe 50% bigger with things spaced more apart?) and lots of ships.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

ehhh it wasn't quite as good as black flag, later builds were real broken, both for and against you. Goddamn was that sound track amazing though. I'm really excited to download the new one tonight though.

Also I would love to get a stand alone black flag style game, give me a bigger map (maybe 50% bigger with things spaced more apart?) and lots of ships.

yeah, it was mechanically very similar, but none of it felt as good. Like, getting into combat was a drag most of the time, since it just pulled you out of hyperspace and then hurt your ship without giving you anything. And firing the broadsides on your ship just didn't feel good, and most resulted in stuff bouncing off your enemies' shields.

It actually inspired me to pick up black flag again, and it's hilarious how much seeing a ship in the distance feels good and mischievous and such a fun opportunity. Any time a ran into a ship in rebel galaxy and it pulled me out of hyperspace and made me fight, I was mostly just wanting them to fuck off and not bother me.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Dipped my toe into Griftlands. Got one day into a run and died. It was slightly demoralizing, but I learned a lot about the mechanics and started to get a feel for builds/synergies.

The two systems ("battle" and "negotiation") feed into one another in really, really interesting ways. There's the obvious, mechanical way - choosing how to approach a quest based on what they're strong in and which meter of yours is higher. But there's this other way that they interact, where your performance/decisions in one system and impact the other.

Like, okay. Say you wanna rattle a person who wants to fight you. You "negotiate" to intimidate them. If you succeed, they'll be at a disadvantage in the "battle" because you got in their head.

Then say you win that battle. When you get them on the ropes, they try to surrender. You can let them live, and they'll appreciate that. Be your buddy, maybe reward you. Or you can execute them.

In an early battle in my second run, I executed a motherfucker. He was an asshole. And that gave me a card. A negotiation card. I was building a reputation for violence, for following through on threats. It made me more effective at hostile, threatening negotiations. So guess who started getting a lot more aggressive in their problem-solving?

Because I did a brutal thing, I mechanically became more brutal. My decision impacted the way I played, which impacted my decisions, which fed back into how I play. Role-playing games don't usually have this level of narrative/gameplay cohesion. I am DEEPLY impressed.

The story content is currently limited in scope (I saw a lot of repeated stuff just between my first and second runs), so there's still a lot to come. But holy crow am I impressed.

This is exactly the sort of thing I hoped to hear after I saw this game's trailer

I'm very excited to play it at some point

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

This is exactly the sort of thing I hoped to hear after I saw this game's trailer

I'm very excited to play it at some point

I enjoyed the couple of hours I put into it, but I think I'm gonna treat this like Hades: One run per update. I think it'll be fun to see come together, but I don't wanna get burned out before release.

This discussion has been closed.