As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

If they actually *did* let Europeans immigrate freely, they'd find that American racists are quite capable of hating the lily-white. I know this because one of the main causes of Brexit was British people (lily white) hating Polish (lily white) immigrants.

See also the US's history around the time the statue was put up the *Irish* weren't white enough.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

If they actually *did* let Europeans immigrate freely, they'd find that American racists are quite capable of hating the lily-white. I know this because one of the main causes of Brexit was British people (lily white) hating Polish (lily white) immigrants.

Does nobody remember the hate for the (Germans/Irish/Polish/Italians/...) in decades past?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Does nobody remember the hate for the (Germans/Irish/Polish/Italians/...) in decades past?

In some northern Canadian communities there was racism against Norwegians and Swedes etc for being too white, and they were called Ghoulies

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Since American racism is usually defined by color, literally, it becomes a pat explanation to say "people hate each other because of the color of their skin" which is rarely the case in most countries where racism/ethnic bigotry takes hold. It's just a convenient shibboleth.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    can somebody clarify for me.

Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

It's also patently false

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Did he really say this?

It's also patently false

Oh I know.

my big concern is if they're thinking of changing it to be that

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Did he really say this?

It's also patently false

Oh I know.

my big concern is if they're thinking of changing it to be that

haven't checked the veracity of the quote, but either way the American right has been trying to get rid of birthright citizenship for a few years now.

It's public consciousness has waned as they've being going hard against Latin Americans, but it's definitely still something the right wing has been pressing for.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    It would also require an amendment to change, as it's specified in the 14th.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    It would also require an amendment to change, as it's specified in the 14th.

Yeah, my understanding is that they can complain all they want and fuck with a lot of things with immigration but at the end of the day, if they can come after Jus Soli then y'all are already drowning in the deepest shit imaginable because it means they've opened up the constitution with enough control to rewrite it however the fuck they want.

• Options
    Yeah yeah.

I know. It was just a gut reaction of 'oh shit fuck you, asshole"

thanks for being my sanity, friends.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to that commission they were putting together to look at ways to strip citizenship from people?

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that commission they were putting together to look at ways to strip citizenship from people?

I hope the answer is someone, anyone, with even the barest basic understanding of constitutional law told them it was impossible and they gave up

but this admin is both stupid and stubborn so...

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Things are only unconstitutional if the Supreme Court deems them so.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I hope the answer is someone, anyone, with even the barest basic understanding of constitutional law told them it was impossible and they gave up

but this admin is both stupid and stubborn so...

The scary part is when they really start to realize that they don't even need to strip citizenship of anyone. They've already indefinitely imprisoned citizens and "deported" US citizens to countries they've never (or barely) been to. No fallback from those....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

And even if the SCOTUS actually follows precedent and the law and constitution as written (far from a given, though still more likely than not), that doesn't change how much damage the Trump Administration could do in the meantime.

Yes, there would be lawsuits and injunctions. But those do cost money. At this point, I'm kinda wondering if that's the plan. Do blatantly illegal and unconstitutional shit, spend government resources to fight for it, and try and drain the coffers of those non-profits (like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood) that would want to stop the next more egregious shit. Sort of like how larger corporations tie up smaller companies to force them to settle or drop a justifiable lawsuit. Except with the government signing the checks.

Probably not, I don't think anyone in this Administration plans anything, except their next grift.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Even then laws have only as much power as they are willing to be enforced. With a conservative SCOTUS, McConnell in the Senate and Trump in the Whitehouse, there is no reason for white nationalist to hold back.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

And even if the SCOTUS actually follows precedent and the law and constitution as written (far from a given, though still more likely than not), that doesn't change how much damage the Trump Administration could do in the meantime.

Yes, there would be lawsuits and injunctions. But those do cost money. At this point, I'm kinda wondering if that's the plan. Do blatantly illegal and unconstitutional shit, spend government resources to fight for it, and try and drain the coffers of those non-profits (like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood) that would want to stop the next more egregious shit. Sort of like how larger corporations tie up smaller companies to force them to settle or drop a justifiable lawsuit. Except with the government signing the checks.

Probably not, I don't think anyone in this Administration plans anything, except their next grift.

Trump's entire modus operandi when doing construction was to hire subcontractors, have them do the job, not pay them, and when they take him to court wear them out by outlasting them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Did he really say this?

To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Did he really say this?

To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

Yeah ask Barack Obama about that.

The GOP has an issue with "darker than a shade of xerox and citizen".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Trump's entire modus operandi when doing construction was to hire subcontractors, have them do the job, not pay them, and when they take him to court wear them out by outlasting them.

He also used mob muscle as intimidation when workers and contractors complained.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Preacher wrote: »

Did he really say this?

2oxj8k.jpg

Viskod on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Did he really say this?

They never attacked Obama by saying his parents weren't citizens. They attacked him by saying he wasn't born here. That's the issue they have. They hate Jus soli.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Did he really say this?

They never attacked Obama by saying his parents weren't citizens. They attacked him by saying he wasn't born here. That's the issue they have. They hate Jus soli.

There were rumblings suggesting his mother renounced her citizenship before his birth.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Did he really say this?

There were rumblings suggesting his mother renounced her citizenship before his birth.

There was also some talk about her not being in the US for the five years required after being 18.

Either way it was all conspiracy theories and racism. Nobody even brought up that McCain wasn't born in the US at all.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Did he really say this?

Ken Cuccinelli does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I didn't know this, but ICE did raids here and arrested 16 people. In Vermont. Details are sketchy, but protesters were out. Around a couple hundred people turned out in this town of 2200. They started at town hall demanding the select board pass a "Welcoming Hartford Ordinance" that's been sitting and waiting for passage. It would stop collaboration between local police and ICE/CBP. After they protested at the town hall, they walked down the street and blocked off part of it during the protest. It held me up on the way to, and then getting back from, picking my daughter up from preschool. So I did what any good citizen who's been inconvenienced should damn well do.

Gave my daughter a shower (she was great filth) and got a bit of light protesting in before dinner.

From in the crowd. There were a handful of pro-ICE people there. Obviously I disagree with this guy, and he's spouting the usual "they're breaking the law" BS, but he was pleasant at least, and welcomed discussion with protesters.
    goc9zqi9w55l.jpg
    jv5pnwar36sb.jpg
    nrpvq5e07uac.jpg

We ran into one of my daughter's preschool teachers there!
    x1czufj9t4tb.jpg

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    In other protest news, an ICE agent tried to run over a group of peaceful protesters so he could achieve the all-important task of...parking in the staff parking lot.

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/blackstone-valley/immigration-protest-continue-in-central-falls/

What is the appropriate action to take when you witness an attempted murder like this?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    In other protest news, an ICE agent tried to run over a group of peaceful protesters so he could achieve the all-important task of...parking in the staff parking lot.

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/blackstone-valley/immigration-protest-continue-in-central-falls/

What is the appropriate action to take when you witness an attempted murder like this?

Contact the local PD and press charges. They don't want to help you, move up to the sheriff and state PD. It doesn't matter if you're blocking the road, trying to push a car through at and speed is reckless endangerment at the very least.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »

Contact the local PD and press charges. They don't want to help you, move up to the sheriff and state PD. It doesn't matter if you're blocking the road, trying to push a car through at and speed is reckless endangerment at the very least.

lol the local police on the scene ran up and pepper-sprayed the people who were run over

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    ACAB

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The kids in Milwaukee are all right:

NPR is a news agency, Andrew Fleischman is a defense lawyer.

Needless to say, Milwaukee Republicans are up in arms over this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

the poor snowflakes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

There's an ethnic festival (Irishfest, Germanfest, etc.) practically every weekend in summer here, and a multicultural Folk Fair in November.

Milwaukee is very proud of its immigrant heritage, as long as they're white.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

argle free garble speech barglelargle

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

That's great news, but seriously? the government appealed a ruling that "safe and sanitary" included toothbrushes, soap and showers?

I imagine some government lawyer had to stand up and defend that?

Yes, yes, I know, "cruelty is the point" or whatever. I just can't understand the complete lack of morals that leads to someone supporting something like that. It hurts my brain.

Also, reading that tweet and it's following tweets, the judge dismissed the case.

And oh look, here's the lawyer standing up and selling her soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRjUyr_36MY

The "WTF" look on the judge's face is priceless.

EDIT: that video is from June, in case anyone is wondering.

Selner on
  • Options
    Finally some good news!

It's good news, in the "evil didn't triumph today" meaning.

It's not good news in that "evil aren't prevented from trying it again, in a slightly different way" meaning.

That's the bigger problem with this shit. Every time the Trump Administration get slapped down, there's apparently no consequence for them. So there's nothing to stop them doing it again and again. Knowing that they'll get to take months of being assholes before they have to stop again.

I'd really like to see them get hit with the civil equivalent of "punitive damages". Either an easily accessible injunction system for the ACLU, or a fast-tracked hearing (ie, analagous to "If the Administration tries something like this again, here's our direct number").

Because we've seen this over and over again.

• Options
    Finally some good news!

It's not good news in that "evil aren't prevented from trying it again, in a slightly different way" meaning.

That's the bigger problem with this shit. Every time the Trump Administration get slapped down, there's apparently no consequence for them. So there's nothing to stop them doing it again and again. Knowing that they'll get to take months of being assholes before they have to stop again.

I'd really like to see them get hit with the civil equivalent of "punitive damages". Either an easily accessible injunction system for the ACLU, or a fast-tracked hearing (ie, analagous to "If the Administration tries something like this again, here's our direct number").

It’ll just be the government paying the penalty and they’ll care even less

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Finally some good news!

It’ll just be the government paying the penalty and they’ll care even less

Was less thinking monetary amounts, and more fast-tracking legal proceedings. Not quite the pre-approval thing that the VRA managed, but close enough.

Though, I could get on board with monetary amounts, going to the plaintiff. Make the government pay for the ACLU's costs, and then some, and the ACLU can defend against the government even moreso. One of my concerns is that the government is trying to drain the ACLU's coffers by repeatedly forcing them to sue the government over clearly illegal actions. Even if the ACLU is able to remain solvent, there might be some cases that they can't afford to fight. And even if they can afford to fight, that money is coming from somewhere, usually a left-leaning member of the public, whose money could instead be going to varying election campaigns. I'm probably overthinking that though.

This discussion has been closed.