As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Sometimes they get used as actual names (Iron Man, Cap), sometimes they're nicknames. But I can't think of an MCU movie moment where someone's gone "Call me... Superhero Name(tm)!" like in a comic you know it'd get the special 3D font effect.

“Batman! There’s a new villain in town! He’s called: MR. FREEZE.”

Actual dialogue from Batman & Robin

Someone got paid to write that.

"What killed the dinosaurs!?"

"THE ICE AAAAAAAAGE!"

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sometimes they get used as actual names (Iron Man, Cap), sometimes they're nicknames. But I can't think of an MCU movie moment where someone's gone "Call me... Superhero Name(tm)!" like in a comic you know it'd get the special 3D font effect.

I believe that was Akiva Goldsman, a writer whose proliferation and great wealth I’ve long considered the result of extensive kompromat, based on him being consistently fucking terrible.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

I believe that was Akiva Goldsman, a writer whose proliferation and great wealth I’ve long considered the result of extensive kompromat, based on him being consistently fucking terrible.

Looks like he wrote for Batman Forever, the Davinci code movies, A Beautiful Mind, Transformers Last Knight

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

Looks like he wrote for Batman Forever, the Davinci code movies, A Beautiful Mind, Transformers Last Knight

A Beautiful Mind is probably the worst of that lot.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    A Beautiful Mind was always just a pub quiz question waiting to happen.

• Options
    "What movie got the Nash equilibrium completely wrong despite being about the guy?"

• Options
    I am Iron Man... dee dee dee

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

I hope their career didn't cool off afterwards.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Hawkeye never gets called anything other than “Clint” or “Barton.” Wanda is always just Wanda. “Black Panther” is a title, not a name. AFAIK they’ve never actually said “Captain Marvel” at all.

And I’m perfectly okay with all of that. DC’s stubborn adherence to dated aspects of their history and lore has pretty much ruined them for me.

Peter did in Spiderman: Far From Home.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I truly cannot believe this movie exists

https://youtu.be/O3qGGk5ymQ4

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    In Endgame.
    The part where Spiderman meets Captain Marvel is funny.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    In Endgame.
    If you're going to have an awkward high school crush, go for the gold.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Oh. Endgame is out on disc today!

Krathoon on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I am Iron Man... dee dee dee

"...Mister...?
    "Doctor.
    "Mister Doctor?
    "It's Strange.
    "Maybe, but who am I to judge?

Granted, that one may not count since his name actually is Doctor Strange, but it does play into Infinity War pretty well.
    "Oh, we're using our made up names? I'm Spider-Man.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

As well as the disastrous Lost in Space movie. I was quite gratified to see he had nothing at all to do with the much better Netflix version. Less so to see he has his mitts on the new Star Treks, including Picard.

madparrot on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Hawkeye never gets called anything other than “Clint” or “Barton.” Wanda is always just Wanda. “Black Panther” is a title, not a name. AFAIK they’ve never actually said “Captain Marvel” at all.

And I’m perfectly okay with all of that. DC’s stubborn adherence to dated aspects of their history and lore has pretty much ruined them for me.

At the start of the first Avengers, the Russian general calls Nat ‘the famous Black Widow’. When she jumps on Loki’s chariot, she calls out ‘Hawkeye’. On a computer monitor at an earlier point, it shows both with their superhero names too.

Very rare, but they do get used.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I do kind of want to see Scary Stories, as I loved the books as a kid. But from what I can see, one of the monsters is based on the woman from The Dream. After all this time, that illustration still creeps me the fuck out. It's so unnerving.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Ironically he both straightwashed John Nash and made Batman gay

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Godzilla vs Destroyah came out in 1995. Other than the clothes it looks much more like something from 1982, or like 1968.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

He also wrote the Dark Tower screenplay.

womp womp

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I went to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood a second time, with my mom. I thought she'd appreciate it since it's about her era. Mom's review: it's a "surreal" "rollercoaster ride", and
    "I liked that the bad guys died at the end"

wandering on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    In Endgame.
    If you're going to have an awkward high school crush, go for the gold.
    They dated briefly in the comics.

smmm16.jpg

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

He also wrote the Dark Tower screenplay.

womp womp

Fantastic.

Let's put this guy together with Scott Buck and compose the song that ends the world.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

Ironically he both straightwashed John Nash and made Batman gay

Well, continued the long and storied tradition of gay Batmans.

• Options
    I liked OUaTiHollywood. It’s very dense and cerebral compared to most Tarantino movies. Lots of funny scenes and touches.

My current QT ranking:

Kill Bill
    Django Unchained
    Death Proof
    Reservoir Dogs
    Inglourious Basterds
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    The Hateful Eight
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    yeah, but how were the feet

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    multitudinous

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    yeah, but how were the feet
    I noticed in OUaTiH that there is actually one brief shot of male bare feet along with the 200 minutes of female bare feet, I appreciated the gesture to those of us who leer at men more than women

(I also appreciated the scene where Brad Pitt poses shirtless on a roof)

• Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I liked OUaTiHollywood. It’s very dense and cerebral compared to most Tarantino movies. Lots of funny scenes and touches.

My current QT ranking:

Kill Bill
    Django Unchained
    Death Proof
    Reservoir Dogs
    Inglourious Basterds
    The Hateful Eight
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown

Ascending or descending?

• Options
    Mine, descending:

Pulp Fiction
    Inglourious Basterds
    Kill Bill
    Jackie Brown
    Hateful 8
    Reservoir Dogs
    Django Unchained

Death Proof

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I just saw Once Upon A Time a second time and it's a very cozy film, like it just beckons you to immerse yourself in this fantasy era of classic Hollywood cinema and savor it. A day in the life of three people who've moved past their primes but are still just enjoying their lot in life and getting by.

And occasionally beating the shit out of deranged hippies.

My ranking:

Inglourious Basterds
    Kill Bill Vol. 2
    Kill Bill Vol. 1
    The Hateful Eight
    Reservoir Dogs
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    Django Unchained
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Death Proof

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Inglourious Basterds started off really really interesting to me with basically everything about the first 20 minutes of the movie, that I actually forgot for a second it was a Tarantino movie and thus turns into the only thing QT knows how to do. So that movie ended up a tad disappointing to me, but that's partially my own fault for expecting it would be anything different.

I really liked Django Unchained and Kill Bill though, and the rest of them remind me of just how long it has been since I've seen any of QT's other movies and I should really watch some of them again. Pulp Fiction was 25 years ago? Jesus.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Whats with the low Jackie Brown rankings :( .

I am looking forward to whatever
    Brad Pitt Quantum Leap movie Tarantino directs next.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Did it really only cost $3 million to make Upgrade? All other sci-fi action thriller suspense dystopian all other genres ever filmmakers should be ashamed of themselves. Upgrade isn’t the grandest thing to come from cinema but it was quite fine and entertaining and a little thought provoking and only cost $3 million!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I haven't seen Hateful Eight, but will probably end up watching the Netflix version sooner or later. Partner and I are going to see OUATIH probably this weekend.

My (best to worst) rankings:

Pulp Fiction
    Inglorious Basterds
    Kill Bill Vol. 1
    Reservoir Dogs
    Django Unchained
    Jackie Brown
    Kill Bill Vol. 2
    Death Proof

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh are we ranking QT now? I’ll have a go:

1. Django
    2. Basterds
    3. Hateful
    4. Pulp
    5. Jackie
    6. Kill
    7. Bill
    8. Reservoir

Haven’t seen Hollywood yet or Death Proof. From what I gather I can skip the latter anyhow?

• Options

My current QT ranking:

Kill Bill
    Django Unchained
    Death Proof
    Reservoir Dogs
    Inglourious Basterds
    The Hateful Eight
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown

Ascending or descending?

Descending

But Jackie Brown is still a good movie that I like quite a bit

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

My current QT ranking:

Kill Bill
    Django Unchained
    Death Proof
    Reservoir Dogs
    Inglourious Basterds
    The Hateful Eight
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown

Ascending or descending?

Descending

But Jackie Brown is still a good movie that I like quite a bit

Agreed, generally sorting QT films are trying to order things on a scale that only goes from 9 to 10.

I think I’m mostly surprised by how high you ranked Death Proof. It’s the only film of his I’ve wholly disliked.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Haven’t seen Hollywood yet or Death Proof. From what I gather I can skip the latter anyhow?

I think the problem for theaters was it being attached to a movie that felt more fun. Plus the fact that when compared to QT's other films, it's just okay.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I am not here for just okay QT movies, alright? And he knows it!

This discussion has been closed.