As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    And in Bad Bathroom Decisions, I give you this:

Nothing bad's gonna happen to that wood ceiling from humidity. No sir.

I'm pretty sure that won't be a concern after the traumatic brain injury from falling in the tub while searching for a fresh roll of TP.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea you can seal the wood where it won't be a problem. Also it looks like one of the doors would hit the tub lip If you opened it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    And in Bad Bathroom Decisions, I give you this:

Nothing bad's gonna happen to that wood ceiling from humidity. No sir.

Eh, that's not the real issue, I don't think - people make whole saunas out of pine, no? You just gotta seal the wood with a decent varnish and you're good to go.

Sinking the spa bath into the floor is a little weird from my perspective, but not particularly terrible either, no, what I wanna know is, why are there doors on that left wall which open directly onto the spa?

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I ain't no bathroomtologist.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What are you doing in my bathroom then??

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

one doesn't have to have a degree to be an enthusiast

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Sitting in the corner minding my own business thankyouverymuch.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I suppose you'd want to be real careful about staggering in there in the dark at 3 a.m. on a Sunday after a big night on the piss, there's not a lot of wiggle room between that toilet and sink and the big hole in the floor that also serves as a spa occasionally.

• Options
    Yea there should probably be a wall mounted guard rail or something to keep you from taking a gainer into that thing. Also getting out of that tub I think would be an interesting experience. That is a big step up.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nah, you just hug onto the toilet and hoist yourself out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    The sign above the toilet reads “please only flush toilet paper”

So you’ve probably got a clog waiting to happen from somebody flushing their paper towels and who knows what else.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    This wisteria...
    2019-08-13%2018.52.16.jpg

2019-08-13%2018.52.22.jpg

2019-08-13%2018.53.22.jpg

• Options
    Yea my Folks Wisteria is on a pergola like 30ft from literally anything else. If I do go down that route that's what I would do too. I'll probably find to try a more local creeper. Maybe hops!

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I could've sworn there was a renting thread, but I can't find it.

I submitted an application for a new apartment, and I'm kinda freaking out because if it's accepted, I'll have to break my current lease, which I'm sure my landlord will love. Also I'll have to move, which means I need to get my (physical) shit together, and my shit is so not together it's laughable. Also this is all happening really fast and what if I sign the lease and it's a huge mistake and I hate it and

*deep breath*

So my anxiety is having a field day. I could really use some encouragement/reassurance/perspective.

How's it supposed to work if your landlord wants 30 days notice of intent to vacate (reasonable), but the new place wants to rent ASAP (also reasonable)? Do people just suck it up and pay rent on two apartments for a month or two?

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    there are definitely times folks pay doubled rent, but other than that, you could also try for prorated rent; getting some money and then having time to reset before renting at the first of the month appeals to some landlords, and getting you in a contract to guarantee longterm payment is usually worth losing a couple weeks' worth of rent for the new landlord. much like a job, i think people tend to be more reasonable when you mention the expectations of your previous place, because that implies you will try to be mindful of theirs. if the new place is insistent (and unless your current one is unacceptable for whatever reasons or the new one is just Too Good to pass up), i might keep looking for someone who is more understanding and respectful of renter's needs.

i'm sure folks will have more or better advice, but hey, one way or another, it will work out, and you will be okay. these are important things to think about, but a little stress goes a long way.

it's cheesy, but something the beau reminds when i start getting down on myself for procrastinating or just forgetting to do stuff: the best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is now. so, if you know you want to move soon, start taking bites of that elephant. cull, organize, maybe even actually pack non-essentials right away if you're committed to moving.

you'll get there somehow.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    My application was accepted!

The story with this place is that I've been wanting to move for a while, but feeling stuck because I didn't know where to move to. So I've been browsing rental listings on and off, and happened to come across the new place, which is:
    • in an old, safe residential neighborhood a short walk from a vibrant downtown
    • big enough for me to have a home office, which I need
    • in an old house newly renovated, so best of both worlds, really
    • an upper-level unit (altitude makes my monkey brain feel safe)
    • only $200 more than what I'm paying now to live in a smaller space with less natural light
    It's essentially everything I've been looking for.

The price seemed almost too good to be true for the area, tbh. When I asked about it, the owner explained that brand new luxury apartment communities were charging inflated prices and skewing the average, which tracks with what I've seen. They also said that the unit would be ready to rent within a week (it's currently unoccupied). They mentioned they had other people interested, and I didn't want to damage my chances by asking them to wait a month or more.

I feel like this is the right move (no pun intended), it's just... holy shit I have a lot to do in the next couple of weeks!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh no notice or anything just a summons this time
    I hate this city and it's pettiness

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    All I can think about is sitting in that tub with my arms resting on the side and letting my elbows fall to touch the bathroom floor.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sigh no notice or anything just a summons this time
    I hate this city and it's pettiness

Just take it over man, you're tall enough to step on anyone that gets in your way and it seems like most of the people in charge are shitlords that nobody would miss.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The Philly suburbs sex dungeon house is off the market, as it turns out that kinkster home rental is much more lucrative.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Airbnbdsm

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Airbnbdsm

This is a good joke.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The Philly suburbs sex dungeon house is off the market, as it turns out that kinkster home rental is much more lucrative.

even after the carpet cleaning bills?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    You don't clean the carpets, the musk is part of the charm.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Sooooo many future prons to be filmed there.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the things my neighbor blames me for is the skunks in the area.
    I have a vague idea where they live. But his daughter claims they live in my yard sighting the infrequent strikes. But last night was brutal as both neighbors on either side of me are early morning people and the ones to the left are quite loud. But it's one of those just odd things when you are jolted awake by the potent smell in a nearly dark room. You close windows and make sure doors are shut and calm dogs down {both of them have been sprayed one knowns to avoid them the other just views it as the downside for defending the yard.} and try to go back to sleep

way back in 2008-2010 this neighborhood became abandoned many animals moved in from rabbits to the aforementioned skunks to coyotes, various hawks. They have yet to leave I don't mind them but some people do

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ZRdfnsM.png
    A New York condo owner is accusing of splitting his Lower East Side apartment into an illegal duplex. But rather than adding walls, he reportedly lowered the ceiling and divided the unite horizontally into two cramped floors.

The ceilings were just 4 1/2 feet high, forcing the nine tenants to crouch or even walk on their knees. The owner reportedly even put bubble wrap on the ceiling to keep residents from banging their head on low-hanging pipes.

https://www.newsweek.com/landlord-split-apartment-being-john-malkovich-1455003?utm_source=GoogleNewsstandBusiness&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Partnerships

• Options

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Cool, that person's going to get some fines instead of the life imprisonment they deserve.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Cool, that person's going to get some fines instead of the life imprisonment they deserve.

in a lot of cases you can pay the fine and still make more profit than if you hadn't committed a crime in the first place

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm very confident the new floor/ceiling he added is up to code and very much rated for the weight of people and furniture.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    they way they detected this was the ac units stacked up in the windows, so obviously the next person to do it will just have them go without AC.

housing is so fucked in this country right now.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Gotta say deciding to divide a space horizontally instead of vertically is a really special brand of fucking stupid.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Gotta say deciding to divide a space horizontally instead of vertically is a really special brand of fucking stupid.

I'm trying to imagine his conversation with the construction crew.

"I want you to divide my condo...no, not like that"

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    H...how did the bathrooms work?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    H...how did the bathrooms work?

Poorly.

• Options
    SHITTILY

• Options
    FUCK

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    @3clipse It's just a joy to see your writing process at work

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    probably the worst showering experience ever