As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Secret [Anime] Thread

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Claymore anime is fine from what I recall, but it has kinda a non-ending?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think it didn’t get to the end of the series?

TNTrooper wrote: »
    I find when it comes to dubs it depends on the atmosphere of the show. Black Lagoon, and Panty & Stocking both sound great in English since when it comes to a fuckton of swearing while firing guns and sassy high school girls trading bitchy insults nothing beats English. Space Dandy is another one were English sounds more right.

Baccano! is another, in large part because the English version gets the accents right.

God, I fucking love that show and dub.

I wish I could erase it from my memory so I could watch it for the first time again.

That may be, low-key, my favorite anime.

Moriveth wrote: »

I haven't read the manga, but I heard it
    turns out everything are bioweapons and there's a larger world and stuff?

Yeah, none of that is remotely mentioned.

It ends with the Maria stuff, I think?

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the Gridman dub.

I think the Code Geass dub is pretty excellent. Obviously there's the classics like FLCL, GitS, Cowboy Bebop, Kino's Journey. And some newer stuff like Gurren Lagann, Baccano! and FMA/FMA:B, and the Hellsing Ultimate one was pretty decent.

Basically every Ghibli film with a dub is either solid or incredible, as well.

New Fruits Basket dub is pretty great.

There's probably some others I haven't watched for years that are brilliant as well, just can't remember them off the top of my head.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yeah they basically say that the island/continent is just a testing ground for super soldiers to fight a larger threat

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Well damn. I regret letting myself fall behind on Kimetsu no Yaiba. Just finished ep 19.

The last 5 minutes of the episode are just amazing and I can't wait for 20.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I mostly avoid dubs because they usually have huge issues with tone of voice, even if the character voices are good

Japanese-language VAs are not afraid to fucking scream when it's appropriate, but almost every dub I've heard just has people raise their voice while still speaking instead of yellin'. It's an easy way for me to get pulled out of a scene.

I also cannot stand lines that are clearly padded for lipflaps

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    Escaflowne
    Uh this lady almost ate a snail wtf

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I liked Jormungand a lot but the ending frustrated me

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS AHEAD
    So like, the main character and co. create a super AI that can knock anything out of the sky (that has a computer in it), and she somehow thinks that being denied the skies will somehow shock people out of war, a completely insane plan that kills thousands of people and will create massive issues, and like 5 minutes later we learn that gee whiz, who'd have guessed, it didn't do shit. People are still going to war. And hell, with all nuclear missiles rendered useless, it's actually all the more likely major powers will come to actual blows again since nuking each other is way harder now. And I mean that isn't even getting into my own pet issues of how locking people on the planet earth indefinitely is likely to kill off our species or knock us back to a pre-industrial age eventually, since Earth's resources are finite and there isn't infinite space for population growth so I mean unless someone eventually knocks it down goodbye to humanity ever benefiting from the essentially infinite amounts of room and resources in space. I hope making the situation on Earth essentially like a hundred times worse in the long AND short term was worth the 5 minutes of deluding yourself into thinking you could keep humans from fighting by what, hurting their pride? Making them feel helpless? This character is supposed to be uber educated but I feel like a single basic psychology course could demonstrate a numerous ways that that wouldn't work.

/rant

It was good when it was just merc work, I liked Black Lagoon for that reason. Great action, but the stakes were never any higher than the main crew surviving. Eda makes this point to Cheng, a powerful mobster, while she's an emissary of the CIA. And tells him, quite directly, that he can go to hell, and the only reason she doesn't call in a kill-team and wipe out all the major players in town over their little power plays is that it's to the CIA's benefit to know who's who. And he does not take that well.

Also, de-aging is great humor material and I wish it got used more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeGkQj2XEoc

manwiththemachinegun on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

So like, the main character and co. create a super AI that can knock anything out of the sky (that has a computer in it), and she somehow thinks that being denied the skies will somehow shock people out of war, a completely insane plan that kills thousands of people and will create massive issues, and like 5 minutes later we learn that gee whiz, who'd have guessed, it didn't do shit. People are still going to war. And hell, with all nuclear missiles rendered useless, it's actually all the more likely major powers will come to actual blows again since nuking each other is way harder now. And I mean that isn't even getting into my own pet issues of how locking people on the planet earth indefinitely is likely to kill off our species or knock us back to a pre-industrial age eventually, since Earth's resources are finite and there isn't infinite space for population growth so I mean unless someone eventually knocks it down goodbye to humanity ever benefiting from the essentially infinite amounts of room and resources in space. I hope making the situation on Earth essentially like a hundred times worse in the long AND short term was worth the 5 minutes of deluding yourself into thinking you could keep humans from fighting by what, hurting their pride? Making them feel helpless? This character is supposed to be uber educated but I feel like a single basic psychology course could demonstrate a numerous ways that that wouldn't work.

/rant
    Just from the summary in your post I think it's not the AI to blame for humans being earth-locked so much as humans apparently being a virulent disease that is going to fight no matter what. Hard to blame the AI, who is decidedly not human, from seeing that horror show and thinking "Y'know what I really don't want to let these things spread through the universe."

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Devilman Crybaby is a show that I think is extremely good and never ever want to watch ever again.

Also the soundtrack rips

It's extremely good

And also weird because I could have sworn that Mob Psycho 100 was riffing some tracks from it (or vice versa), but I went back and listened a bit and I can't quite figure out why I thought that...

• MillMill Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Madican wrote: »

/rant
    Just from the summary in your post I think it's not the AI to blame for humans being earth-locked so much as humans apparently being a virulent disease that is going to fight no matter what. Hard to blame the AI, who is decidedly not human, from seeing that horror show and thinking "Y'know what I really don't want to let these things spread through the universe."
    I'm trying to remember if they actually pulled the trigger or if the AI was just left to chill. I'm pretty sure the MC gave the option to pull the trigger to the child soldier guy and he sort of noped out of there for a bit because that's where it kind of sunk in for him that she wasn't what he thought she was and that she wasn't exactly sane. Sure he came back to her after some soul searching, but I kind got the impression that he said no on pulling the trigger. The ending seems okay to me because the whole point behind the plan wasn't to show how smart she was, rather it was to show the child soldier that she was in fact somewhat insane and could be quite immoral. It also showed the audience that despite how smart she was in many areas, there were places where she just didn't fucking get it. IIRC part of her logic was that so much war happened because it was too easy, where upon her brother goes into the whole spiel about how humans will continue to fight wars and he'll still be able to make a buck. Even if she figured out a way to force humans to go back to killing each other with sharp sticks & rocks, he and other arms dealers would still happily provide people with an able supply of sharp sticks & rocks to use to kill each other.

Mill on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    This show just had a Field of Dreams reference and a Kevin Costner pun, in 2017. I was very confused.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

/rant
    I'm trying to remember if they actually pulled the trigger or if the AI was just left to chill. I'm pretty sure the MC gave the option to pull the trigger to the child soldier guy and he sort of noped out of there for a bit because that's where it kind of sunk in for him that she wasn't what he thought she was and that she wasn't exactly sane. Sure he came back to her after some soul searching, but I kind got the impression that he said no on pulling the trigger. The ending seems okay to me because the whole point behind the plan wasn't to show how smart she was, rather it was to show the child soldier that she was in fact somewhat insane and could be quite immoral. It also showed the audience that despite how smart she was in many areas, there were places where she just didn't fucking get it. IIRC part of her logic was that so much war happened because it was too easy, where upon her brother goes into the whole spiel about how humans will continue to fight wars and he'll still be able to make a buck. Even if she figured out a way to force humans to go back to killing each other with sharp sticks & rocks, he and other arms dealers would still happily provide people with an able supply of sharp sticks & rocks to use to kill each other.
    No she totally activates it. And then her brother shows up on a huge boat loaded with tanks and weapons to sell (because one of the MC Koko and her brother are arms dealers) and notes that even after it was activated he's got customers lining up. And to be clear, it's not actually like, a sapient AI, it's a quantum computer they put in orbit which can shut down information technology and the like in the sky or in orbit, so it shuts down satellites and anything that relies on them, knocks down planes, missiles, etc. and prevents them from being launched. It can also access any information database and shut it down, because quantum computer I guess? At least IIRC. The one who launched it is the aforementioned (disillusioned) arms dealer Koko after she had some genius engineer she rescued make it. Her plan is utterly insane, doesn't work at all, and just leaves the world massively worse off. I've heard the manga keeps going, I mean they often do, but the anime ends there with them just... going as a group to explore the world as it is now?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Well damn. I regret letting myself fall behind on Kimetsu no Yaiba. Just finished ep 19.

The last 5 minutes of the episode are just amazing and I can't wait for 20.

It was the 5th most discussed thing on Twitter on Saturday.

It made me appreciate how far animation has come in recent years.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Devilman Crybaby has a rocking soundtrack and is a fantastic story.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I only watched a couple eps of devilman crybaby and I found it to be extremely well crafted but incomprehensible and dropped it, telling myself I’d give it another shot sometime later.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Yeah they basically say that the island/continent is just a testing ground for super soldiers to fight a larger threat

Claymore Ending Spoilers:
    Claymore ends with the main characters sending one of the researchers back with the message, “ Hey fuck off k thanks, we are officially too swole for you to handle(which they very much are)”.

I wanna say the last few panels are pictures of the mainland and it’s just a hellscape of monsters.

I have a big soft spot for the Claymore manga, the ending is a cascading series of FUCK YES.

Claymore Ending Spoilers:
    Claymore ends with the main characters sending one of the researchers back with the message, “ Hey fuck off k thanks, we are officially too swole for you to handle(which they very much are)”.

I wanna say the last few panels are pictures of the mainland and it’s just a hellscape of monsters.

I have a big soft spot for the Claymore manga, the ending is a cascading series of FUCK YES.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it! Also I liked how even though there's a LOT of nudity in it, it never really felt like it was intended to be super arousing or anything.

There's a ton of nudity but it just doesn't focus on it as sexual, which is great. Also tends to overlap with the body horror

Oh there's definitely a lot of body horror, yeah

Hard to be turned on by a naked woman when she's a horrifying monster fused with her twin sister

... Though I'm sure people have managed!

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yea Claymore's definitely not really that type of manga
    It could have been but the author really steered clear of those tropes
    His previous work Angel Densetsu was a pretty fun read too, although it could not have been any more different from Claymore.
    Yea the manga went on for more than 5 more years after the anime did

Peas on
    Damn, that's a bummer. I'll probably skip it then, since the ending to it is REALLY GOOD, and it's a shame we won't get to see that.

• IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    It does seem a little bit like anime these days is more likely to get more seasons to complete the story. Anime as advertisement for the manga/LN always sorta sucks since you only get part of it animated.

Peas wrote: »
    Yea Claymore's definitely not really that type of manga
    It could have been but the author really steered clear of those tropes
    His previous work Angel Densetsu was a pretty fun read too, although it could not have been any more different from Claymore.
    Yea the manga went on for more than 5 more years after the anime did

Did the anime end at the Battle of the North or something? That's like the halfway point of the story, at best.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    It continued on for a bit and eventually have to branch off from the original manga I suppose

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Baccano is the most "you have to see the english dub" out of anything because they make a point a point to try and make all the language period and regionally appropriate.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    got to see Millennium Actress in a theater tonight

Millennium Actress: still extremely fucking good

My theater was just me. :( It was a lot more similar to Perfect Blue than I was expecting, mostly in how it framed scenes to make you wonder whether they were real or not.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

My theater was just me. :( It was a lot more similar to Perfect Blue than I was expecting, mostly in how it framed scenes to make you wonder whether they were real or not.

I would be perfectly happy watching a movie in a theatre if I was the only one there. Seems nice.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I would be perfectly happy watching a movie in a theatre if I was the only one there. Seems nice.

More disappointed that more people weren't interested. Perfect Blue was packed for its theatrical showing.

wVEsyIc.png
    Oh yeah I can understand that. I just don't like crowded theatres all that much so I haven't watched a movie that way in a good while.

edited August 2019
    More upcoming isekai anime. Can never have enough of those right.

"High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World"
    This show is going to be absolute trash.
    Will still watch it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFXJzpEpqs

"Ascendance of a Bookworm"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TljLLncMxk
    Avid bookworm and college student Motosu Urano ends up dying in an unforeseen accident. This came right after the news that she would finally be able to work as a librarian like she had always dreamed of.

When she regained consciousness, she was reborn as Myne, the daughter of a poor soldier. She was in the town of Ehrenfest, a town that existed in a parallel world and had a harsh class system where the magic-wielding nobles ruled supreme. But Myne doesn't really let that get to her. After all, as long as she had books, she didn't really need anything else.

However, this world had a very low literacy rate and no real way of printing books, so books were scarce and belonged only to the nobles. They were completely out of reach for the daughter of some poor soldier. But that doesn't stop Myne from wanting to read books, so she makes a decision...

"If there aren't any books, I'll just create some."

This one I am actually looking somewhat forward to because I really like the concept.

Isorn on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My favorite description of an isekai that allowed me to nope out of the concept started out like

"X is a nerdy highschooler and Y is an attractive, buxom young woman who..."

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    My favorite description of an isekai that allowed me to nope out of the concept started out like

I agree, but if X is a woman then I am suddenly interested.

edited August 2019
    After reading various harem manga because I make bad decisions constantly, I think every harem manga would be better if they were just about a bunch of horny women living together and there being no male protagonist.

Somehow the genre has probably regressed since Tenchi Muyo.

Couscous on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I agree, but if X is a woman then I am suddenly interested.

Spoiler warning:

It wasn't.

I've read the manga of the high school prodigies isekai and yeah it's straight trash. Though one thing is amusing in that they didn't gain special powers in this new world, they could already do superhuman things back on Earth

I think the only isekai I've watched that I felt pulled off "the main character is OP as fuckin shit" appropriately has been Overlord.

edited August 2019
    The high school prodigy who was the world's best doctor was clearly a godawful doctor from the first page she was in. She did not give any fucks about basic medical ethics.

The world they arrive at has primitive self-igniting firearms but doesn't seem to have cannons which is WTF. Edit: You should not be wondering how a castle wall got blown up in a world with gunpowder!

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.