As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Griftlands looks extremely good, but I may end up just crossing my fingers & toes for a Switch version since that’s where I play most of my games these days

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Griftlands looks extremely good, but I may end up just crossing my fingers & toes for a Switch version since that’s where I play most of my games these days

I have UI concerns for a Switch port, but I suppose anything is possible!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

I have UI concerns for a Switch port, but I suppose anything is possible!

If they enable touchscreen support it could be okay? Although I have my issues with the touchscreen part of Slay The Spire too, so.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Just finished Wandersong. It was very good and delightful!

I think I'll play Unavowed next. This Xbox Game Pass for PC is really working out well for me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Just finished Wandersong. It was very good and delightful!

I think I'll play Unavowed next. This Xbox Game Pass for PC is really working out well for me.

How long was it? I started playing Wandersong and it seemed interesting but didn’t feel like it’d be all that long?

It took me about 8-9 hours, I think?

IKknkhU.gif
    Wandersong was pretty dang hard for my colorblind ass, I tell you wut

Maybe you should try using your eyes!

Wandersong was pretty dang hard for my colorblind ass, I tell you wut

Oh

Yeah

That would definitely make it tricky

Thankfully there's almost always a directional component, too, but still

IKknkhU.gif
    Well, I already broke my intended approach to Griftlands. I did another run.

I decided I wanted to try a kinder, more persuasive run. Try to be a smooth-talker, rather than an increasingly-murderous villain.

It was really hard, and I failed. And I... Love that?

Like, of course a negative reputation spreads and reinforces itself. But if you slick-talk people, trick them with honeyed words, what reputation would you get? You talk your way past, sure, but what would people say about you? Would they say, "Keep an eye out for Sal, she's super nice!" Fuck nah. When you persuade or charm, it's not to help the person you're talking to. They're an obstacle.

If you trick somebody, if you're choosing to let them live, they don't know you made that choice. They just had a nice chat with someone who maybe talked them into taking an early lunch break. Why the fuck would they even remember you?

This is so dope, thematically.

At present, the only playable character is a mercenary on a revenge quest. A system that rewards maliciousness, and makes pacifism VERY difficult, is fascinating in that context. "You wanna kill your target, right? Why not get real good at killing along the way?" It fucking rules that the game throws mechanical and narrative temptations at you as you try to answer those questions.

Fuckin', dang I dig this game.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    With rebel galaxy outlaw, honestly everything about it seems a hell of a lot cooler, and just actually looks more satisfying to play.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm anxiously waiting for work to be over so I can go home and give it a try.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Spaceships firing broadsides at each other is real cool in concept, but they just didn't get it quite right.

However dogfighting is just good stuff.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing opinions from folks here, because Austin’s opinions on RGO kinda dampened my enthusiasm for the game a little, but I feel he probably went into it looking for something different to what I probably am.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

While I really really like and want a new Saints Row, I was kinda hoping Agents of Mayhem would be better/sell better so they got to take a break from that series sometime :/

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Q: Can I use mouse/keyboard?
    A: Yes and it's remappable and it's fine but please god just use a gamepad

So yeah, I am in when it comes to Steam.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Chronicle of Fishman's Follies
    The Final Part
    Hello and welcome to the final round of this Championship season. It's been a fun, long season, Vikod.
    That's how it is in the run to the finish line, Agnar; the best teams all competing not only against each other, but also the clock as they try and complete as many contracts as possible before the close of the season. With more teams, more contracts, and more to compete for, there's been almost as much action in these last few weeks as the entire last few years combined. No wonder it's felt like a long season.
    And right in the thick of the action has been everyone's hot run favourites, Fishman's Follies.
    They certainly have, Agnar; there's really been no question about who would be this year's champion, only how much they would win by. Their run since the mid-season break has been nothing less than inspired.

The mid-season changes were truly stage setting for their Championship, starting with the personnel changes. Having reached the point where the recruitment pool of volunteers was practically dry, Agency Manager Fishman found himself seemingly pulling talent at random from beyond the borders of the realm to expand the Follies roster out to a full 4 team compliment.
    In the course of just a few short weeks, the Follies recruited Sniper @el_vicio, Witchdoctor @Poorochondriac, Captain @DarkPrimus, and Bard @chrishallett83. In addition, they also engaged in a trade that saw long-time team healer @Karoz move to the Omnipresent Owlbears in exchange for Ranger/Paladin @Brolo, a deal that most thought benefited both agencies.
    That it did, Vikod. As an experienced hand at the top flight, @Brolo was able to slot into the Green lineup and form a solid partnership with @LuvTheMonkey with support from @Crippl3 IV and cb558.

20190814123520_1.jpg
    @LuvTheMonkey Warlock/Mage/Paladin/Fevered Paladin
    @Crippl3 IV Druid/Rogue/Stalker
    @cb557 's cousin, cb558. Priest/Spellsword/Monk
    @Brolo Monk/Ranger/Paladin/Thief

With a solid pivot around @Brolo's Defense and Area control with @LuvTheMonkey's empowered elemental blasts, this line saw some great success fulfilling contracts for the Hunter's Hall and Adventurer's Guild, impressing both factions with their skill in the forests and swamps to the Southwest.

Meanwhile @Depressperado and @Kristmas Kthulhu were promoted to a line-leading partnership in the Follie's new Yellow line, supplemented by new recruits @el_vicio and @Poorochondriac.

20190814201349_1.jpg
    @Depressperado Witchdoctor/Spellsword/Shovel Knight/Priest
    @Kristmas Kthulhu Rogue/Druid/Stalker/Spellsword
    @el_vicio Ranger/Smuggler/Sniper
    @Poorochondriac Smuggler/Witchdoctor/Mage

The new blood lineup of the Follies, the Yellow line ventured into the relatively unexplored badlands of the East, following a chain of leads to investigate an ancient Tome long thought either mythical or Lost, but definitely of great interest to the Arcane Academy. The old hand's experience complimented the newcomer's tenacity, with the team closing more contracts than any of the other Follies lineups in their pursuit of the legendary book.
    This was an interesting lineup, Agnar, with a well-rounded party each capable of playing both offense and defense to either damage, disable, or disorient foes as needs dictated; it worked well for them in their search for the lost tome.

However if we're going to talk about the lineups, we're going have to talk about the changes in the top two lines, Vikod.
    That's certainly true, Agnar. And it all centers on the changes around their star player, @Jedoc.
    The debate about Jedoc's ability has moved on from whether he's the best in the league; these days the only argument left is whether he's the Greatest of All Time, and if not, who else could it be?
    Three years of investment in development and training have certainly paid off. And this season, with the Follies hiring an enchanter to remove that Ice weakness caused by bonding a fire spirit back in his rookie season, Jedoc opened the way to become one of the rarest and most dangerous of heroes, master of all the elements: a Chroma Knight.

20190606213322_1.jpg

With the elemental power of the Chroma Knights, Jedoc has become one of the most powerful and deadly adventurers in history, capable of not just powerful single-target attacks, but sweeping entire battlefields clear under an onslaught of waves of ice and fire.
    With those advantages in mind, the Blue line was reworked to maximise Jedoc's devastating attacks. @Tynnan and @chrishallett83 abilities to buff Jedoc; @The Judge to soften up and debuff enemies. And it worked beautifully.

20190615211230_1.jpg
    @Tynnan Captain/Paladin/Supreme Coach/Warlock/Spellsword
    @Jedoc Mage/Bard/Warrior/Rogue/Chroma Knight
    @The Judge Rogue/Priest/Sorcerer
    @chrishallett83 Paladin/Bard/Witchdoctor

Most encounters never made it past Jedoc's second turn; one turn to prep all the multipliers then another to eliminate all opposition. Here he is in action, dealing over 2000 damage to every opponent on the field, enough to kill all but the toughest enemies with a single sweep; almost 12,000 damage in all.
    Most adventurers would give their right arm to deal 2000 damage to a single opponent, Agnar, and here Jedoc does it to a horde of them without breaking a sweat.
    There's maybe a handful of adventurers in the entire league capable of dealing multiple-thousand point attacks, Vikod, and Jedoc is possibly as good as the rest of them put together.

That was certainly the theory the Follies Manager had. With Jedoc capable of providing the offensive output of an entire line by himself, it freed up the opportunity to put together a Red line stacked full of some of the agency's - and the league's - most dangerous other strikers.

@MrGrimoire. @Iolo. @Tofystedeth. Each one deadly in their own way.
    After a long career, @MrGrimoire had unlocked a difficult and rare skill of his own: the Ninja. @Tofystedeth's speciality was lightning attacks, building up a series of increasing electric combos through the use of his enhanced abilities and the magical amulet 'Lord of Thunder'. And @Iolo's crescendo-of-fists Barbarian ability was capable of dealing even more damage to a single target than Jedoc, provided he was fully energised; here he had great assistance from newcomer @DarkPrimus, who partnered up as the Red line's support to great effect.

20190615212522_1.jpg
    @MrGrimoire Rogue/Thief/Smuggler/Monk/Ninja
    @Tofystedeth Ranger/Smuggler/Sniper/Thief
    @Iolo Paladin/Bard/Warrior/Bardbarian/Warlock
    @DarkPrimus Monk/Captain

A lineup full of hitters which made up for their lack of tactical variety in sheer crowd pleasing efficacy. When these guys came for you, you knew exactly what you were getting: all attack, all the time. And they were very much the match in output of Jedoc's Blue team, going neck and neck in terms of earnings and winnings.

There was no doubt about it, and with not one but two of the top parties in the league, Fishman's Follies came home in a gallop, smashing records on their way to today's ceremony, where they're to be crowned as this season's Golden Champi-

20190615213625_1.jpg

...uh.
    What... what's he doing?

Well this is a turn-up. It seems that the current reigning Epic Champion does not want to surrender his crown. He's... He's.... He's deploying guardian constructs! He's stopping the trophy presentation and moving to attack Fishman's Follies!
    Oh, no... It looks like the Follies are not going to take this lying down. Their full roster is here and they're already putting together their very best to face down this boss battle.

20190615214011_1.jpg

Jedoc; MrGrimoire; Iolo; Tynnan. It's an all-star lineup of future hall-of-famers ready to throw down with this Epic beast, and they've already cut down his guardian defenses.
    Yes, it's tricky Vikod; he's using unknown spells and wards here which are clearly throwing the Follies off their game. They can't just straight up attack, but use their powers in turn and in unison to open up his vulnerabilities and hit him as hard as they can, when they can.

20190615215655_1.jpg

Ouff, that looked like it hurt. Jedoc's Chroma Knight abilities are doing their job of peeling back the defenses; Iolo looks like he's nearly spent, but Tynnan is lifting him back up into the fray; MrGrimoire is keeping him pinned back and hemmed in the kill zone-
    Wow! What a hit!

20190615215806_1.jpg

Not just one, Agnar, look at that teamwork! Wow, what a combo! One... two... three; he's out of there!
    Ladies and gentlemen, viewers of all ages; tonight we've been privileged enough to witness one of the fights of the ages. It was a tough battle, but in the end the Follies truly demonstrated why they're worthy inheritors of the title of Epic Manager; I give you your new Gold League Champions: Fishman's Follies!

20190615220126_1.jpg

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Honestly, huge bummer that Volition was probably forced to go back to Saints Row after their attempt to branch out totally shit the bed

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Honestly, huge bummer that Volition was probably forced to go back to Saints Row after their attempt to branch out totally shit the bed

It wasn't even a big branch, it was more like a reboot/AU for Saints Row.

sig.gif
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Sorce wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

It wasn't even a big branch, it was more like a reboot/AU for Saints Row.

Yeah, that game was also covered in purple and vague fleur-de-lis symbols, was dumb but trying to lean into it, and relied on a bunch of silly power-fantasy nonsense to excuse some pretty ho-hum gameplay

It's just that Saint's Row got good at all that stuff, and... whatever the hell that other game was didn't do it well, fuck what was it called, I honestly can't even remember

e: AGENTS OF MAYHEM

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    My concern is that the parts of Agents of Mayhem that were bad were the parts that were trying to be like Saints Row.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Agents of Mayhem not being multiplayer was probably the biggest mistake. From what I've seen it really felt like a multiplayer-focused (online?) game that was forced to be sp only

That said, I would be okay with a new, good Saints Row game

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    And a bunch of pre-Gamescom news:

Falconeer, A new open-world flight-based fantasy RPG

A new space game from the Everspace devs

Need for Speed: Heat

Sega Genesis Mini

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Apex legends has a new event!

Unfortunately everything is locked behind loot crates and you get very little currency through gameplay:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-08-14-this-apex-legends-axe-costs-about-gbp112-in-loot-boxes
    As there are 24 legendary items (with no duplicates), and you get two free loot boxes, that means you have to buy 22 loot boxes to collect all the event items in this section of the store. Each loot box costs 700 Apex Coins, which converts to roughly £5.59 each if you purchase the smallest coin pack, or £4.86 each using the largest pack exchange rate.

In terms of actual coin packs, however, you need 15,400 Apex Coins, which you can't buy directly. At the most expensive (16 lots of 1000 at £7.99) that will cost £127.84, or at the cheapest (by buying the 115,000 pack and 4000 pack) it comes to £111.98 (with some coins spare).

So to recap, that's between £111.98 to £127.84 for all event items in the loot boxes. (Assuming you unlock two loot boxes through gameplay, otherwise it's between £119.97 and £135.83.)

And that's not even everything you can buy as the article explains.

SharpyVII on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I love Apex but yeah the monetization on this one is real nasty. EA is addicted to exploitative surprise mechanics and they push it hard in everything they touch.

Make a cool heirloom (unique melee weapon aesthetic) for a character, then force people to buy $155 worth of loot boxes in order to get the privilege to buy it for another $35. Limited time only so act now.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Yeah I've been back on the Apex Legends grind since season 2 started and this event is a real bummer. It sucks because the gameplay part of the event is pretty neat--it's added a solo queue and changed a part of the map into a kind of skatepark with stuff to slide on and bounce off of--but continuing to lean in to a really shitty monetization scheme casts a pall on the whole thing.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    not gambling though!!!!!

please destroy AAA gaming

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    While I'm still a bit bummed that Titanfall is gone and buried, I am at peace that it is, perhaps, for the best.

I wonder how the "you must disclose odds" policy changes will affect some of this stuff

edited August 2019
    Titanfall 3 has a better outlook of happening than ever in my opinion, even if it's not being made right now

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    Brolo wrote: »
    I wonder how the "you must disclose odds" policy changes will affect some of this stuff

it won't, at least in any meaningful way, because those numbers are hidden behind small print

it's not really like cigarettes where the warning is very large and in your face(which still barely makes a dent)

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

They'll do some scummy legal loophole shit like Blizzard did in China.

You're now instead directly buying a really small amount of the in-game currency, with the boxes being a "free bonus".

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Damn, that NMS update is some good shit.

edited August 2019

Wouldn't affect this event very much, as there's only 24 items so the odds of each is presumably 1/24. It's gross for anyone who really wants something specific though, as they have to pay $7 per pull at that 1/24 slot machine trying to get it rather than being able to just buy it.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID

not if they kept space cops in

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

not if they kept space cops in

spacecop1%2528cropped%2529.jpg

You wanna repeat that, son?

This discussion has been closed.