As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Glow Season S3E4:
    I just watched the last scene with Sheila the She-Wolf and Bobby "Barbara" Barnes and I am wrecked and ruined.

What a great heartfelt goddamn scene. What a great goddamn show.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Warrior is a super fun show with some exceptionally cheesy performances that loop from eye-rollingly bad right back around to being kinda charming.

Also Jason Tobin is the living incarnation of the Anime Teen Delinquent and I love it.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Glow Season S3E4:
    I just watched the last scene with Sheila the She-Wolf and Bobby "Barbara" Barnes and I am wrecked and ruined.

Oh, I fuckin cried.

Edit: I cried at the scene
    where he asks her questions during his act. She's defensive, and he doesn't press her really anymore. When she says "how long have you been Barbra?" and he says "longer than her. When I'm Barbra, I can sing. When I'm me
    Not so much" and Sheila's teary eyes just broke me. Just the understanding of "who you're born as might not fulfill you, but you can find a way to fulfill yourself"

Garlic Bread on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Glow already has 3 seasons?
    God damn where have I been.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

It's vaguely racist in a way that's difficult to articulate until all the sudden holy fuck it really isn't subtle any more what in the actual fuck?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

It's vaguely racist in a way that's difficult to articulate until all the sudden holy fuck it really isn't subtle any more what in the actual fuck?

in what movies other than buster scruggs is that even remotely the case

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Warrior is a super fun show with some exceptionally cheesy performances that loop from eye-rollingly bad right back around to being kinda charming.

Also Jason Tobin is the living incarnation of the Anime Teen Delinquent and I love it.

Full Season Spoilers
    I was SO relieved that they didn't go back to the old trope of, "new best friend of main character finds out about main character's hidden past and they become bitter rivals". It was so refreshing that, despite all of Young Jun's flaws, he actually became like a brother to Ah Sam and stayed that way.

Until this past week I'd have said Warrior is my favorite new TV show, but I just started watching The Boys and now it may be a tie.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    one of the things i thought a lot about while rereading and watching the boys is butcher's casual homophobia, and how he spends most of the comic run bullying hughie into accepting it

that's almost entirely been cut from the show, presumably because they didn't want a tv show where the ostensible heroes drop horrible slurs every ten seconds. it's hard to fault that decision, but it does feel a little weird to me how a big chunk of the butcher/hughie relationship has basically just been set aside. of course show hughie doesn't feel like he could be bullied into submission as easily as book hughie could

the preacher tv show did something similar with cassidy

godmode wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

Full Season Spoilers
    I was SO relieved that they didn't go back to the old trope of, "new best friend of main character finds out about main character's hidden past and they become bitter rivals". It was so refreshing that, despite all of Young Jun's flaws, he actually became like a brother to Ah Sam and stayed that way.

Until this past week I'd have said Warrior is my favorite new TV show, but I just started watching The Boys and now it may be a tie.

Yeah it was so good
    Young Jun’s reaction to Ah Sam busting out the english in the roadhouse could have so easily just been predictable and tiresome, but ended up kinda hilarious and legitimately heartwarming.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    that's so much easier to watch at work hooray

Must be nice working for bosses who canonically don't read the forums.
    Tube wrote:
    BILLABLE FUCKING HOURS

I awesomed that before I even booted up the trailer. The Dark Crystal was such a formative part of my love for the fantasy genre, I'm pretty sure I wore out the VHS tape before I was six.

I was also quite disappointed when my mom and stepdad named my Scottish Cairn Terrier ...

(not actual pet, just a look-a-like)
    ad261f9f5554c73ce12a998adb02eb00.jpg

'Duffy' instead of 'Fizgig.'

Look at that face! That's totally a Fizgig face!

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    We've been watching this show on Netflix called In The Dark.

It's about a blind woman who is friends with a young kid. She finds what she thinks is his body in the alley they hang out in and she gets involved with the case to find the kid or his killer.

It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.
    Yup, I was watching that on the CW as it aired, and that show is pretty good. Also Pretzel is an A+ name for a dog.

sig.gif
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i have no connection to the dark crystal, so everytime i see the preview image for that trailer i keep wondering why people are so jazzed for a new thankskilling

6vjsgrerts6r.png

i have no connection to the dark crystal, so everytime i see the preview image for that trailer i keep wondering why people are so jazzed for a new thankskilling

No doubt that there's a lot of nostalgia for me specifically, but it leans hard into some really graphic and terrifying moments. Think 'OG Grimm's Fairy Tales' where Cinderella's step-sisters mutilated their feet to get into the glass slipper, that kind of imagery and intensity. It really could have fucked me up as a kid, but Jim Henson knew his shit and how to keep it from turning into proper nightmare fuel.

(The first time I saw it, I didn't sleep that night; to be fair, nearly everyone's a candyass at five.)

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    oh yeah no it's not a quality thing, and i know it's a lot of doggies' jam. i just keep seeing that turkey looking fuck and thinking of this asshole, who i do got history with

soh4vbrq0jh2.jpg

6vjsgrerts6r.png

No doubt that there's a lot of nostalgia for me specifically, but it leans hard into some really graphic and terrifying moments. Think 'OG Grimm's Fairy Tales' where Cinderella's step-sisters mutilated their feet to get into the glass slipper, that kind of imagery and intensity. It really could have fucked me up as a kid, but Jim Henson knew his shit and how to keep it from turning into proper nightmare fuel.

(The first time I saw it, I didn't sleep that night; to be fair, nearly everyone's a candyass at five.)

To be fair though, something about the image of a podling having their soul physically drained from their body into a jar while they stare helplessly into the reflected light of the Dark Crystal still kinda messes me up on a deep level to this day.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The Dark Crystal has me in a bit of a quandary. I'd like to show it to my kids, but I don't really want to deal with any nightmares or late night runs to my bed. My son would be fine with it, I think, but my daughter is a little too young and would have some nightmare problems. And trying to show it to him without her is not easy.

On the other hand, it is really nice to share movies with them that I enjoyed at a similar age. I showed my son Explorers the other night and explained that I was the same age when it came out that he is now, and my dad took me to see it, and he loved that. He also loved the movie and wanted to watch it again as soon as it ended. We watched some trailers for Flight of the Navigator and SpaceCamp instead and now he really wants to see those too.

I dunno. Maybe I'll show them The Never Ending Story and see how mad they get about that and take it from there.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    oh yeah no it's not a quality thing, and i know it's a lot of doggies' jam. i just keep seeing that turkey looking fuck and thinking of this asshole, who i do got history with

soh4vbrq0jh2.jpg

6bd33-15560054632976-800.jpg

uyvfOQy.png
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    i remember at a certain point realizing they were puppets

like, i understood fiction, i knew they weren't 'real' before that, in the way that it was of our world

but it was just so well-realized, i didn't process it as artificial, i guess... just a thing that exists in the context of The Dark Crystal, no need for further examination

it's a movie full of craft in all aspects, and not a whit of laziness for something regarded as a children's movie. i don't know if the intended audience age was restrictive --i'd guess the aim was a tale for all ages-- but it appeals because it's audiovisually lush with a simple plot and protagonists, but also doesn't overexplain. (minus some convenient location-backstory synergy as found in most Great Prophecy sagas.) so it's this fantastical, mysterious, melancholy-tinged world that you're exploring along with the characters, a standout execution on trusting an audience that includes kids.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Glow already has 3 seasons?
    God damn where have I been.

Season 3 just dropped, and it is still real dang good (2 eps in myself)

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Someday I might watch The Dark Crystal

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Glow Season S3E4:

Bobby/Sheila, or Sheila in general, is easily my favourite thing about season 3.

The high quality of most of the characters in this season, with a few minor exceptions, did make me realize how little I care about Ruth, though, and how uninteresting she is to me at this point. I basically don't need her for season 4 as it stands.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    "It's not about me" is a very funny quote to give to one of the most hilariously transparent author wish fulfillment characters of all time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    "It's not about me" is a very funny quote to give to one of the most hilariously transparent author wish fulfillment characters of all time

Said chincy, tugging fiercely at their braid.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan

Said chincy, tugging fiercely at their braid.

I JUST WANNA FUCK HIM SO BAD

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Please do not tug your braid in public

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Please do not tug your braid in public

Else there'll be spankings!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I dig that they're casting diverse. I really dig adaptations that actually adapt, rather than just "recreate."

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I dig that they're casting diverse. I really dig adaptations that actually adapt, rather than just "recreate."

What surprises me is that they're casting folks exclusively from the mid-2000s, the last time that black and white headshots were in vogue

edited August 2019

Yeah to be clear

There is a version of the WoT story that is good

Its just not the one in the books

I hope they can find it, they seem to be open to actually adapting, like you said!

Chincymcchilla on
    These casting announcements are telling me one big thing:

I don't remember anybody in those books but Nynaeve

These casting announcements are telling me one big thing:

I don't remember anybody in those books but Nynaeve

The rest are mostly just different ladies who wanna fuck rand

And one immortal ghost/reincarnated woman who wants to fuck mat

The 2 ladies what want to fuck Perrin.

Hmm. I think we might have a theme here

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Main thing I'm getting from the casting is that these are all relative unknowns.

Rand and Perrin have very little in their imdb. Mat's been in a TV show before, but I'm not sure how large a role. Nynaeve has been in a Power Rangers series. Egwene looks to be the only one who has multiple series under her belt.

I imagine a lot of that is trying to get relative unknowns for cheap and tying them into contracts for multiple years in case it blows up the way GoT did, but that's a lot of question marks for the people who are going to be the main characters.

edited August 2019
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Main thing I'm getting from the casting is that these are all relative unknowns.

Rand and Perrin have very little in their imdb. Mat's been in a TV show before, but I'm not sure how large a role. Nynaeve has been in a Power Rangers series. Egwene looks to be the only one who has multiple series under her belt.

I imagine a lot of that is trying to get relative unknowns for cheap and tying them into contracts for multiple years in case it blows up the way GoT did, but that's a lot of question marks for the people who are going to be the main characters.

So, she's the best part of Ninja Steel

But ninja steel is baaaaad so its entirely possible she's also very good on top of just being the best part of a very bad thing, it would be hard to tell

For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZEEhg08Ks

Chincymcchilla on
    Cast unknowns in everything imo

This discussion has been closed.