As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] PATCH DAY! Mark ya spoilers!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    That's obscenely lucky.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular

the second tweet there is a response to me saying the same thing

pls report him bahamut

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    zay is NOT free from sin

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    THIS OLD LADY HAS FROG WIZARDS EVERYWHERE THIS IS COOL AS HELL

CYpGAPn.png
    edited August 2019
    Miqo'te
    shadowbringers spoilers
    I'm slightly annoyed Matoya and to a lesser extent Krile didn't get any face time yet, I thought they'd have something to do with sending us to the First after recruiting Matoya's help in the Stormblood epilogue stuff, not to mention Y'shtola going by "Master Matoya" in the trailer being a big dumb red herring that meant nothing.
    I hope Matoya gets some time to shine in the patch story.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Au'Ra
    Hrm, I've got a question. HW Post Dravanian Hinterlands
    Am I right in understanding what that last interaction between Y'shtola and her mentor meant?

She is now blind, but is using her abilities to use flow of aether in the world to see ala Daredevil at the cost of her own life force?

Cause

Damn

That both rules and sucks

CYpGAPn.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hrm, I've got a question. HW Post Dravanian Hinterlands
    Am I right in understanding what that last interaction between Y'shtola and her mentor meant?

She is now blind, but is using her abilities to use flow of aether in the world to see ala Daredevil at the cost of her own life force?

Cause

Damn

That both rules and sucks

That's the gist of it, yeah. It's actually something that stays relevant too.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why it took until now for me to finally see this happen.

FOV2w4L.jpg

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hyur
    What? Someone who still plays AST? oooooooh

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    What's the DPS symbol of?

sig.gif
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    Sorce wrote: »

Everybody look at your pants~

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    shadowbringers spoilers
    I'm slightly annoyed Matoya and to a lesser extent Krile didn't get any face time yet, I thought they'd have something to do with sending us to the First after recruiting Matoya's help in the Stormblood epilogue stuff, not to mention Y'shtola going by "Master Matoya" in the trailer being a big dumb red herring that meant nothing.
    I hope Matoya gets some time to shine in the patch story.
    Desperately hoping Krile doesn't get stuck in whatever the new Eureka is this xpac.

Between her getting kidnapped and being shipped off to that hell hole I barely interacted with her in SB.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Miqo'te
    Shadowbringers spoilers
    I can't believe how much of stuff like the cinematic trailer and the E3 trailer were just big fucking trolls. "Master Matoya", "When did we last have a dark (k)night?", using actual darkness to break through the light

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    What sayeth thou, Master Matoya? We can accept this fate, or we can defy it, but we cannot deny it.

Deny? I am not wont to run from my troubles. Until our friend arrives, I shall hold the line

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hrothgar
    I wont like (Shadowbringers Spoilers)
    When I found out it was just the name she took up to join this darkness religion because they don't speak their true names in the light...I was a little disappointed

Miqo'te
    Aldo wrote: »

Ast's healing is fine since the savage raid unlock balance pass, at least, it's just the card system people are still unhappy about.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I'm not sure why it took until now for me to finally see this happen.

FOV2w4L.jpg

Dance party!

Whenever we get a party with a bunch of SMN/SCHs, I'll call out in party chat "Go Team Bookworm!"

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Ast's healing is fine since the savage raid unlock balance pass, at least, it's just the card system people are still unhappy about.

Honestly, the cards are effective (they justify the time you put into them) the mechanic is interesting without being frustrating (you still have to deal with the RNG, but the worst-case scenarios can be mitigated) it works with the class (AST has short casts so you can fit in oGCDs) and the animations are good. It's just that you get to the end of all that and the big pay-off is "6% DPS for 15 seconds."

Honestly I find it weird that none of the healer classes have a true DPS rotation. They're required to DPS for harder content to be beatable, but that just means spamming one attack button.

admanb on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Hyur
    admanb wrote: »

Honestly, the cards are effective (they justify the time you put into them) the mechanic is interesting without being frustrating (you still have to deal with the RNG, but the worst-case scenarios can be mitigated) it works with the class (AST has short casts so you can fit in oGCDs) and the animations are good. It's just that you get to the end of all that and the big pay-off is "6% DPS for 15 seconds."

Make it give a regen and a shield as well, that stack separately from your other effects.

Or rather, each symbol you lined up gives one of the effects.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Just make cards a proc-based DPS rotation tbh.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Honestly I find it weird that none of the healer classes have a true DPS rotation. They're required to DPS for harder content to be beatable, but that just means spamming one attack button.

The problem with adding in more buttons for dps, enough to compromise a rotation, would add 3-5 additional buttons to jobs that already have over 24 total abilities. It could work if done as part a full expansion redesign, but seems unlikely in a mid-expansion patch. I could see it working as part of a design push to balance healing and dps from the Healer jobs, but I wouldn't see easy things to do to strongly differentiate the feel of the three jobs in both healing and damage dealing.

Could have one or all three gain a resource while doing damage that modifies or increases healing/mitigation in some way.

steam_sig.png

The problem with adding in more buttons for dps, enough to compromise a rotation, would add 3-5 additional buttons to jobs that already have over 24 total abilities. It could work if done as part a full expansion redesign, but seems unlikely in a mid-expansion patch. I could see it working as part of a design push to balance healing and dps from the Healer jobs, but I wouldn't see easy things to do to strongly differentiate the feel of the three jobs in both healing and damage dealing.

Could have one or all three gain a resource while doing damage that modifies or increases healing/mitigation in some way.

Sure. I'm thinking specifically about AST, which has six(?) buttons devoted to an oGCD rotation that does nothing but generate DPS buffs.

Sorce wrote: »
    Dance party!
    Kinda like this except with more tambourines.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG_JORkIvAo

Roegadyn
    Healers should not have anything near a true DPS rotation, and don't need it either.

If you want to do damage, play DPS. Healer DPS is something you do when you have time.

If healers had true rotations, then the game would have to be balanced around them doing those rotations well while ALSO keeping the team alive. And, no thanks.

All 3 healers could probably do with another attack ability, but not much more than that.

The AST card system is really the same problem. It's 6 buttons (draw, play, redraw, sleeve draw, minor arcana, and divination) that need fairly easy to reach hotkeys and don't do anything to help AST's healing. But because their personal DPS is garage compared to SCH and WHM they have to make good use of it to be on even footing. So AST has to commit to doing all that, while also keeping people healthy.

Also sort of related, AST's heals are just kinda harder to use optimally. Compare earthly star or Essential Dignity to like, Assize and Tetragramaton. They're essentially the same thing but harder to use. On the class with an annoying RNG sub system.

X22wmuF.jpg
    I guess my point is that that's fine. There's nothing wrong with there being a hard-mode healer class in the game to go alongside WHM just like WAR and GNB both exist. The problem with AST is that they wanted to make a hard-mode healer class but couldn't figure out a way to fit that into the very limited healer paradigm, so they end up with a mechanic that's complicated and challenging, but unsatisfying.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I would really like a melee healer class that uses damaging abilities to buff it's heals. Something like Warhammer Online's Disciple of Khaine/Warrior Priest but designed to fit FFXIV's combat systems.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    Fistweaver?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Punchomancer.

Roegadyn
    I think the idea classes are or should be designed to be "hard mode" or "easy mode" is pretty misguided. All classes should have similar skill floors, and not to dissimilar skill ceilings.

Also, if you ARE going to decide to make the skill floors for certain classes way higher than others, you damn well better make it that way to start. ARR to HW Dragoon comes to mind as an example of dicking that up pretty bad.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I don't really view AST as "hard mode" so much as I view it as an attempt to introduce a Gambler style class into the traditional MMO paradigm. In a single player game you can make it be goofy and full RNG because it's a singleplayer game. But when it's an MMO where the option is to play a class without that feature, it needs to have a lot of tools to mitigate and smooth out that RNG. Their current solution uses the current amount of buttons and while it's not entirely elegant it does manage to capture that feel of rummaging through random options to optimize things. Obviously it's not quite the same as what it was pre-Shadowbringers, but "everyone wait before every pull for the AST to shuffle their way to AOE Balance" was not something that could stay.

liEt3nH.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    my gut says the real answer was to make it so you could only draw cards in combat, but that exact change to scholar's aetherflow is giving me pause

Roegadyn
    I don't really view AST as "hard mode" so much as I view it as an attempt to introduce a Gambler style class into the traditional MMO paradigm. In a single player game you can make it be goofy and full RNG because it's a singleplayer game. But when it's an MMO where the option is to play a class without that feature, it needs to have a lot of tools to mitigate and smooth out that RNG. Their current solution uses the current amount of buttons and while it's not entirely elegant it does manage to capture that feel of rummaging through random options to optimize things. Obviously it's not quite the same as what it was pre-Shadowbringers, but "everyone wait before every pull for the AST to shuffle their way to AOE Balance" was not something that could stay.

Which is annoying cause if you were just doing normal mode stuff you never had to do that.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    almost beat potd

got to floor 195 before wiping

Miqo'te
    what if old AST but with a button that just gives you AOE balance instantly but can only be used out of combat or the first 15 seconds of combat or something?
    I guess that would still have the problem of RNG feast and famine in the rest of the fight

BahamutZERO.gif
    Au'Ra
    HW, Hour of Departure
    FUCK, EDMONT GAVE ME HAURCHEFANT'S SHIELD

MY EMOTIONS

OH I WANNA KILL ALL THOSE ARCHBISHOP CRONY MOTHERFUCKERS

CYpGAPn.png
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Shabooty wrote: »
    almost beat potd

got to floor 195 before wiping

What got you?

Miqo'te
    I bet it was the ol' exploding chest inside a mimic inside a mimic inside a mimic inside a mimic, that gets me every time

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited August 2019
    Au'Ra
    HW Azys La spoilers
    hahahaah fuck, not listing the Midgardsormer mount as a quest reward during the meeting with Tiamat was genius, it totally surprised the hell outta me and now have a sick Dragon mount

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    They just posted a reminder that these collaboration items will be no longer available once Patch 5.1 gets here.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/9f5bfb8b683f7effd92178a67b97c59a7d1d9fb0/
    You can keep them if you earned/bought them, but you won't be able to earn/buy them any more.

This discussion has been closed.