As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2020 Democratic Primary

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I wish the "debates" were called what they are: Q&A time with the Candidates. There's no debating going on, just the moderator asking questions and then the candidate(s) answering them.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I wish the "debates" were called what they are: Q&A time with the Candidates. There's no debating going on, just the moderator asking questions and then the candidate(s) answering them.

Except that's not true? Another candidate will typically respond to the first candidate's answer, and then the first will counter again. There's a back and forth between at least two candidates after each question.

It's, like, the one thing that's actually being done at least half-decently

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    While the debate rules should be stricter since all the complaints can be summed into the fact that is humiliating to have an event of your political party serve as add space for obvious hucksters like Williamson and Yang, the format itself isn't bad, though the moderation is embarrassing. But at least is a "controlled" brand of embarrassing, instead of "Democrat Candidate X, how will you deal with the #ClintonBodyCount?", that WILL happen with open town halls since everybody will send operatives anyways.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am unsure about the candidacy of Commander Garry from The Thing.

Well what do you want him to do spend all winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Ok Joe there is a simple solution to this, quit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Is there anything of substance to Dooley being a "national surrogate" or is she just another sideshow biting off chicken heads?
    I doubt it. And I don't even know what she's trying to say with the tweet since it starts off by saying she doesn't agree with Trump supporters. But sure let's take a vague, years-old tweet from a random Bernie campaign person and use it to drag Bernie through the mud

Bernie hiring assholes who say unacceptable shit is as relevant as Biden saying stuff that makes him look like he'd do a bad job as President. Being able to hire good and capable people is one of the tests that shows whether a candidate would be a good office holder.

More directly to the argument presented in the video, the racial health gap exists regardless of whether you have insurance or not (or what kind of insurance). Indeed even when healthcare is fully socialized there are racial health gaps. Its an attempt to argue universal programs will address racial disparities when the evidence does not exist.

Black women often claim their health concerns in pregnancy are not taken seriously, leading to preventable complications. Universal healthcare will do nothing for that. That's purely an internal attitude problem that doctors need to work on in themselves, hopefully with medical schools including some training on the subject.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Not going to undo the racism (and it's wider spread than just pregnancy, lots of medical professionals literally believe that black people are more capable of withstanding pain so they must be lying if they say they're experiencing it) without any kind of incentive structure. Warren has a plan for that, but it seems like one of her more half baked ones and I'm not wholly sure about it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Im sorry, are we pretending there's something wrong with that Sanders tweet?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It's literally promising something that M4A won't be able to deliver (at least not without major reform of healthcare providers and their education.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Wrong, no. Insufficient, yes.

The disparity in maternal death rates is there regardless of class. So the reason for it being higher among black women isn't that they're less likely to be covered (a problem M4A solves) it's that there is a racist belief ingrained in the health care industry that we have to address as a separate matter.

EDIT: Prominent example, Serena Williams almost died giving birth because her doctors didn't believe what she was telling them about what she was feeling in her body.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

It's literally promising something that M4A won't be able to deliver (at least not without major reform of healthcare providers and their education.)

I mean its a tweet, it seems dumb to complain it oversimplifies an issue when the policy itself will do a world of good.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    Not going to undo the racism (and it's wider spread than just pregnancy, lots of medical professionals literally believe that black people are more capable of withstanding pain so they must be lying if they say they're experiencing it) without any kind of incentive structure. Warren has a plan for that, but it seems like one of her more half baked ones and I'm not wholly sure about it.

Yeah her plan seemed to basically be no child left behind, but for hospitals.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-black-maternal-mortality_n_5cc0e93fe4b0ad77ff7f717b

It is good that this appears to be an issue that lots of them are attempting to address.

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/26/18691611/2020-democrats-maternal-mortality-medicaid

• Options

I mean its a tweet, it seems dumb to complain it oversimplifies an issue when the policy itself will do a world of good.

There are two ways to read the tweet.

One, Sanders thinks that worse outcomes by race/gender is purely a matter of access, in which case he's sorely misinformed.

Two, Sanders is proposing that M4A will also reform healthcare provider education, which is picking a very ugly fight with doctors and putting them further against UHC.

• Options

One, Sanders thinks that worse outcomes by race/gender is purely a matter of access, in which case he's sorely misinformed.

Two, Sanders is proposing that M4A will also reform healthcare provider education, which is picking a very ugly fight with doctors and putting them further against UHC.

I think Sanders thinks getting profit motives out of healthcare will help a population that is severely underprivileged on average get better health care results.

Basic intersectionality really.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    YamiB. wrote: »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-black-maternal-mortality_n_5cc0e93fe4b0ad77ff7f717b

It is good that this appears to be an issue that lots of them are attempting to address.

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/26/18691611/2020-democrats-maternal-mortality-medicaid

I think, if I understand it, it's adding new money and then taking away the new money if improvements aren't made, which is a better idea than NCLB. Which was designed to close urban schools and replace them with charters.

• Options

I think, if I understand it, it's adding new money and then taking away the new money if improvements aren't made, which is a better idea than NCLB. Which was designed to close urban schools and replace them with charters.

Thats basically what NCLB was, even if the new funding never materialized.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Yeah I think Harris's implicit bias training bill is better, especially because its very achievable. Its not going to "fix racism" but its hopefully something that can achieve some progress in that area.

One of the downsides of Warren's strategy that I don't want to ding her too much on is the detail she includes in her plans means its easier to see the problems with them. I think not putting out detailed plans is itself a major problem though. So a plan like this which seems like a not-great idea that is attempting to address a real concern, I try not to penalize her too much.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Yeah I think Harris's implicit bias training bill is better, especially

One of the downsides of Warren's strategy that I don't want to ding her too much on is the detail she includes in her plans means its easier to see the problems with them. I think not putting out detailed plans is itself a major problem though. So a plan like this which seems like a not-great idea that is attempting to address a real concern, I try not to penalize her too much.
    I think that is something Bernie does quite well. Provide just enough to get his supporters really excited, but nothing so detailed that he can be pinned down on it.

That being said I think Bernie is too old.

• Options
    Stacey Abrams is officially out, btw. Would be open to the VP slot though.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Unfortunately I don't think Stacey Abrams brings enough to the table for a VP slot.

The ideal VP is going to help you win Florida or Pennsylvania. Having Bidden on the ticket will help with Pennsylvania. If he wins the primary then they should look for someone to help win Florida.

If we win Pennsylvania and Florida. We win the presidential election.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't think Stacey Abrams brings enough to the table for a VP slot.

The ideal VP is going to help you win Florida or Pennsylvania. Having Bidden on the ticket will help with Pennsylvania. If he wins the primary then they should look for someone to help win Florida.

I think her big plus would be to increase credibility/enthusism with black voters. How much the decline in black turn out in Milwaukee, Detroit and Philly was due to not having Obama and how much was voter suppression is an open question, but it was certainly enough to swing the outcome.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

I think her big plus would be to increase credibility/enthusism with black voters. How much the decline in black turn out in Milwaukee, Detroit and Philly was due to not having Obama and how much was voter suppression is an open question, but it was certainly enough to swing the outcome.

I would agree here, she could help strengthen a ticket with someone like Warren who polls well with pretty much every subgroup within the Democratic Party except for African Americans.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Okay, hear me out.

What if we close the hospitals and replace them with charters.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Marathon wrote: »

I would agree here, she could help strengthen a ticket with someone like Warren who polls well with pretty much every subgroup within the Democratic Party except for African Americans.

I think it would also make the whole thing more fun. Both Warren and Abrams are nice people, tough but funny and clever. I think they'd have great chemistry. I'd rather watch them than Biden having a dick-measuring contest with Trump.

I've possibly got some female voter bias here. Male voters would probably hate the combo.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Ok Joe there is a simple solution to this, quit.

Joe, deep down, I think you care about this country and want to help.

The best way you can do that at this point is drop out and stump for the party as a whole.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Biden admitting he's a huge dumbass but refusing to change is the most sympathetic thing he's said all year

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Sympathetic, but its a weakness I don't want in a candidate. Like you can't keep your words straight against another person who struggles the same way, so don't run? Like there are qualified candidates who can beat trump, we don't need JOe Biden.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "This is who I am and I don't want to change..."
    Okay, points for honesty.
    "... but I'm not going to stop trying to get the job I can't do."
    Aaaaand sympathy gone.

• Options

I think Sanders thinks getting profit motives out of healthcare will help a population that is severely underprivileged on average get better health care results.

Except that he's not saying "we'll get better results" - he's saying "we'll close the gap." The problem is that the gap isn't just about access, but is just as much about institutional racism and sexism in healthcare. Removing profit motives won't fix that, and the communities impacted know this.

• Options

Except that he's not saying "we'll get better results" - he's saying "we'll close the gap." The problem is that the gap isn't just about access, but is just as much about institutional racism and sexism in healthcare. Removing profit motives won't fix that, and the communities impacted know this.

It brings to mind Bernies other economic rhetoric that feels "rising tides lift all boats" that generally tends to leave minorities behind.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

It brings to mind Bernies other economic rhetoric that feels "rising tides lift all boats" that generally tends to leave minorities behind.

Probably not fair to criticize Sanders for sounding vaguely like bullshit Reagan rhetoric. Literally every politician claims they'll help the poor

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Probably not fair to criticize Sanders for sounding vaguely like bullshit Reagan rhetoric. Literally every politician claims they'll help the poor

The disconnect.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Actually, no, it's completely fair (IMO) when there's another candidate who does lay out her plans in detail. Meanwhile, Sanders is still doing his "2. ???, 3, Prosperity" thing.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Actually, no, it's completely fair (IMO) when there's another candidate who does lay out her plans in detail. Meanwhile, Sanders is still doing his "2. ???, 3, Prosperity" thing.

Are you saying Sanders hasnt laid out an actual health care plan?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I'm saying it's vague and tenuously connected to reality.

Man doesn't have plans, he has ideas. Great ideas! Bold, inspiring ideas! If only that was all it took.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

I'm saying it's vague and tenuously connected to reality.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

One of the criticisms of Sanders when he ran in 2016 was that he often too focused on economics being the solution to problems, even ones like racism. This is a sign that he still thinks that way.

You might agree with him, but for a lot of people it was an issue.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

One of the criticisms of Sanders when he ran in 2016 was that he often too focused on economics being the solution to problems, even ones like racism. This is a sign that he still thinks that way.

You might agree with him, but for a lot of people it was an issue.

Sure, Im aware if the criticism, but it also seems fairly obvious to me that a lot of people forget all about intersectionality as soon as it applies to left wing policy prescriptions

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Like you guys say he doesnt have plans but there are actual m4a bills you know right?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    It’s tremendously sexist that Biden doesn’t get dinged in the media the way Hillary did for being just as ambitious, arrogant and presumptive

“I’m worried people won’t forgive my obvious weaknesses, why won’t they just give me the fucking job already” is the vibe I get from him constantly; his first debate closing was basically “why is anybody even on stage with me right now, I’m the fucking guy,” an anger and resentment at not just being easily given what he seems to believe is his right

It’s extremely obnoxious, not to mention white/male privilege-y

ACsTqqK.jpg
This discussion has been closed.