As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dining: The Foodening Rev. Edition (aka- Where to eat at PAX?)

LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD?Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
edited July 2019 in PAX West
Hey y'all.

For us out-of-towners, where do y'all recommend as dining spots while at PAX?

My pin lanyard
PSN: L00nyEclip
Steam: Loony Eclipse
Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
LoonyEclipse on

• Options
    Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    I'm curious about this as well. Granted I've been to Seattle several times, though it's been years, I don't remember the names of any places I've eaten except for Gourmet Dog Japan (my favorite hotdog place that is sadly closed down).

There is a nice restaurant down the street and around the corner from the convention center on E. Pike St. I visited in 2009 (it might be "The Honey Hole", but I'm not sure). Pike's Place Market is also a great place to shop for food, although I don't remember if they serve any cooked food and you might need to cook it yourself (if you stay at the Green Tortoise Hostel, for example, they have a kitchen for guests to use). I think The Cheesecake Factory, across from the convention center, also has dining options if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, and I hope others come up with some suggestions besides fast food (there's a lot of that, too).

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm curious about this as well. Granted I've been to Seattle several times, though it's been years, I don't remember the names of any places I've eaten except for Gourmet Dog Japan (my favorite hotdog place that is sadly closed down).

There is a nice restaurant down the street and around the corner from the convention center on E. Pike St. I visited in 2009 (it might be "The Honey Hole", but I'm not sure). Pike's Place Market is also a great place to shop for food, although I don't remember if they serve any cooked food and you might need to cook it yourself (if you stay at the Green Tortoise Hostel, for example, they have a kitchen for guests to use). I think The Cheesecake Factory, across from the convention center, also has dining options if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, and I hope others come up with some suggestions besides fast food (there's a lot of that, too).

1. The Honey Hole is a half mile up Pike. Not exactly "down the street and around the corner". Good sandwiches though.
    2. Pike's Place has plenty of proper restaurants, but if you want to catch a salmon there and cook it in your hostel, you do you buddy.
    3. Suggesting the Cheesecake Factory during PAX is a terrible idea because it's the closest place outside of the convention center (if you don't count the Subway and Le Creperie that are attached the building), so EVERYONE tries to go there. Seriously, travel 5 blocks in any direction (besides South) and you'll get much better food with much much much much less waiting.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    whypick1 wrote: »

1. The Honey Hole is a half mile up Pike. Not exactly "down the street and around the corner". Good sandwiches though.
    2. Pike's Place has plenty of proper restaurants, but if you want to catch a salmon there and cook it in your hostel, you do you buddy.
    3. Suggesting the Cheesecake Factory during PAX is a terrible idea because it's the closest place outside of the convention center (if you don't count the Subway and Le Creperie that are attached the building), so EVERYONE tries to go there. Seriously, travel 5 blocks in any direction (besides South) and you'll get much better food with much much much much less waiting.

Why do I even bother... I just get the cold shoulder anytime I try to be helpful.

Captain Ironsides on
    zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think whypick1 was a little bit harsh there, but I do agree that Cheesecake Factory will be packed the entirety of PAX and would be hard to enjoy on a PAX trip if that's the kind of place one wants to go. And yeah, it's a tad weird to suggest someone buy food at a market and cook it themselves when they asked for dining suggestions :)

Honey Hole is a few blocks away, but a few blocks shouldn't be a long trek. Around the corner sort of makes sense since it's past where pike does that turn up the hill, I can see why someone would remember it that way. Also being a little further away means it's less likely to be insanely busy.

I have been a fan of Daawat Indian Grill & Bar. It's right next to the annex, and is very surprisingly not that busy during PAX if you go a little off prime meal hours.
    If you want some good Mediterranean fare, Petra Cafe is a few blocks up 7th.
    Always a fan of biscuit bitch, but that will be very very busy as well most times.
    Lil Woody's is worth the walk up Pine for burgers.
    Piroshky Piroshky bakery is worth the line. So is Sweet Iron.

I can't remember the last time I went somewhere that was just bad while I was in Seattle.

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I used to maintain a huge list but I just don't have the time anymore. You can still find it from previous years if you check my posting history and its still fairly accurate as someone local was making edits to the spreadsheet last year (he might still this year). There are a ton of good places to check out all within walking distance though. I definitely second Lil Woody's but they will be packed on Monday assuming they give away free burgers on labor day like they have been doing. Molly Moon's is great for ice cream. I STILL have not managed to catch biscuit bitch but I constantly hear good things, maybe this year.. and tons of small cool places down around/in the pike place market.

As Whypick1 said Subway, Cheesecake Factory, and Le Creperie are almost always packed solid. I think last year I tried cheesecake because I was feeling lazy and it was a 90 minute wait. If you have a chance at a short line at Le Creperie and you like crepes i'd say go for it. The ones I've had were quite decent which kind of surprised me for as many as they are pounding out during the convention.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ooh, I had forgotten about Le Creperie. Super worth, but need to hit it on thursday or tuesday, not during the show

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I was just giving my best input. It was that or offer no help at all. Most of the places I go during PAX have lines, hence my crowded suggestions, I haven't actually eaten at The Cheesecake Factory, but it looks nice, and not sure if I've eaten at/from Pike's Place Market either, but it was just an idea. I did cook burgers once at the hostel back in 2009, though, so that's where that idea came from (moreso an idea than a suggestion). As for Honey Hole, I'm still not even sure it's the same place I'm thinking of. I just Googled Mapped that area and that looked closest to what I remember, but Maps didn't make it look like a half mile either. I literally remembered it being right around the corner and shortly up the hill from the CC, so, yeah. Just wanted to clarify these things.

Disregarding lines, though, one of my favorite places I go to every time I attend PAX is this pizza joint on the first floor of the CC. From 2009-2012 I remember the lines being about 5-10 minutes long, but the pizza is well worth it. Again, lines, but I did like the convenience of food served at the convention itself, too, and the food was decent, though expensive.

Captain Ironsides on
    zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    ArtDragonArtDragon Registered User regular
    Blue Water Taco on Union is fairly good for something quick. I never find the lineup that bad.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Disregarding lines, though, one of my favorite places I go to every time I attend PAX is this pizza joint on the first floor of the CC. From 2009-2012 I remember the lines being about 5-10 minutes long, but the pizza is well worth it. Again, lines, but I did like the convenience of food served at the convention itself, too, and the food was decent, though expensive.

I ate there my first year at PAX but I THINK that it is gone now. But there is a MOD pizza not far away and there is actually a "secret" tunnel that lets out near it (exits out near/in the Hilton iirc) just outside the convention center. Of course I usually have a hard time locating it from the CC side when i'm not staying at the Hilton.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    Ahh, that's a shame. It's been long enough that I haven't been to PAX that my favorite places are closing down. Oh well, I guess, I was gonna check out the surrounding area for food this year anyway.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Second for Blue Water Taco Grill, also Pike Place Chowder in the mall is pretty darn good.

Elephant and Castle is fairly solid. Tap House Grill has a lot of good specials but I like that it's open later (good for post Acquisitions Inc. bites!).

Blue C Sushi is fun but be ready for a wait because it can get super busy.

If you're up for a bit of a walk (or Uber), Via Tribunali has tasty pizza. Can agree on Piroshky Piroshky being worth it. Don't be too turned off by the line, it goes fairly quick.

IncreaseBlue on
  • Options
    cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    I used to maintain a huge list but I just don't have the time anymore. You can still find it from previous years if you check my posting history and its still fairly accurate as someone local was making edits to the spreadsheet last year (he might still this year). There are a ton of good places to check out all within walking distance though. I definitely second Lil Woody's but they will be packed on Monday assuming they give away free burgers on labor day like they have been doing. Molly Moon's is great for ice cream. I STILL have not managed to catch biscuit bitch but I constantly hear good things, maybe this year.. and tons of small cool places down around/in the pike place market.

As Whypick1 said Subway, Cheesecake Factory, and Le Creperie are almost always packed solid. I think last year I tried cheesecake because I was feeling lazy and it was a 90 minute wait. If you have a chance at a short line at Le Creperie and you like crepes i'd say go for it. The ones I've had were quite decent which kind of surprised me for as many as they are pounding out during the convention.

I need to work more on updating the list, there's a bunch of openings/closings.

Sometimes even that can be intimidating, just trying to decide on things, but Dough Zone just opened their latest location near the Paramount, there are lots of good places within walking distance, if you have specific dining types you are looking for and price ranges, many here in the forums can give good recommendations.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Second for Blue Water Taco Grill, also Pike Place Chowder in the mall is pretty darn good.

Elephant and Castle is fairly solid. Tap House Grill has a lot of good specials but I like that it's open later (good for post Acquisitions Inc. bites!).

Blue C Sushi is fun but be ready for a wait because it can get super busy.

If you're up for a bit of a walk (or Uber), Via Tribunali has tasty pizza. Can agree on Piroshky Piroshky being worth it. Don't be too turned off by the line, it goes fairly quick.

Blue C suddenly closed all of their restaurants last year (workers showed up and the doors were closed).

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    SweetCosmicPopeSweetCosmicPope Just Some Dude Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I think some of your best non-busy options are going to be up on Pike and Broadway. You're going to have to hoof it uphill for about 1/4-1/2 a mile, but up there you'll find multiple pizza joints, pho, ramen, sandwich shops, burger shops, etc; They should be much less busy than anything in the area directly surrounding the convention center. Gameworks and Cheesecake factory are right across the street, but they get PACKED. Same with both subways. Up the hill, off the top of my head, you can find Honey Hole, St. John's, Other Coast Cafe, Ooink, Marination Station, Tangerine Tree, Ayutthai Thai, 8oz Burger, Sizzle Pie, and Taylor Shellfish Farms.

All of those are great places to grab a bite (I work in the area and I'm always trying new places around here).

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    curse wrote: »

Blue C suddenly closed all of their restaurants last year (workers showed up and the doors were closed).

Well dang! Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    curse wrote: »
    Dough Zone just opened their latest location near the Paramount, there are lots of good places within walking distance, if you have specific dining types you are looking for and price ranges, many here in the forums can give good recommendations.

Hmm that place looks like it might be good. Will have to add it to my to try list.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    chubbyninjakttychubbyninjaktty Registered User regular
    I third biscuit bitch! Prepare for a line that is totally worth it and just make it part of your trip; they have a couple locations. I second Taylor Shellfish Farms if you like oysters and drinks and geoduck, and it’s not too too far from the cc- we walked there our first day. I would’ve seconded Blue C Sushi cuz we loved it, but sadly googling confirmed their disappearance, although there seems to be some other decently rated conveyor sushi in the area. We’re trying our best to make it to Seattle again and find more!

• Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I just started working right around the corner from the Seattle convention center this year, and found a lot of really great places that are either new or I just never knew about them during previous PAXes! All of these are within walking distance of the convention center.
    • Citrus Thai has really delicious, really fast Thai food. The place is small, so I'd recommend ordering it to-go and finding somewhere around the con to eat. https://goo.gl/maps/RHXQvwbxh8YDkyAU8
    • Dragonfish Cafe not only has amazing Japanese food, but 2pm-6pm they have a Happy Hour menu that is AMAZING. $2 tasty cocktails, $2-6 meals, and an amazing staff. https://goo.gl/maps/ihxqEjmmmxAcAQUP8
    • Skillet Renegade is where I go on my lunch break the most for it's delicious all-day breakfast food and fried chicken. It's a little further than the other two, but still no more than a 6 minute walk away. https://goo.gl/maps/16SNYNgRyUKNUhU57
    • Noren is my favorite Japanese restaurant in the area. I really love and reccomend their Gyu Don. https://goo.gl/maps/FuDBgFsaHyZEg5Z29
    • If you want a damn amazing latte or waffle, then Moore's Coffee is an excellent place to go. I knew about this place even before moving to Seattle this year, and used to look forward to getting a Horchata Latte here every con. Now I love coming here for special occasion coffee. https://goo.gl/maps/KFebrJnxavBGcMp86

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    There is a condition which makes Cheesecake Factory very quick. Eating alone. If you happen to be alone, you can usually get seated at the bar with no waiting. I know it's not applicable to most people, but it's totally an option.

• Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Anyone have the map from a few years ago? If not I'll see if I can find mine

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    SlowOctopusSlowOctopus Registered User regular
    If you like Indian food, I'd highly recommend Kastoori Grill near Pike Place Market (right around the corner from Biscuit Bitch). Last time I was in town for PAX, I went for the lunch buffet and it was AMAZING! Lots of really tasty vegetarian options too. I'm 100% planning to go back there this time around.

lo9ta7am5xk0.png
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    • Dragonfish Cafe not only has amazing Japanese food, but 2pm-6pm they have a Happy Hour menu that is AMAZING. $2 tasty cocktails, $2-6 meals, and an amazing staff. https://goo.gl/maps/ihxqEjmmmxAcAQUP8

On top of that, the Happy Hour menu also goes from 9pm to 1am, which makes for an excellent late night snack if you're still out and about.

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I would also nominate Biscuit Bitch on 1st, which has some excellent Southern style biscuits and grits. I'm from Georgia, so I will vouch for them.

And the Tap House Grill on 6th. They are also open late and have a bunch of good apps if you don't need a whole meal too.

Also, my contractually required contribution whenever this thread inevitably gets posted. See y'all at Top Pot!
    hn0jn7eeuerk.jpeg

Marino on
  • Options
    midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    Belltown has some more upscale restaurants and bars as well (Belltown being close to where the Westin is, and continues north/east/west). I would recommend Assaggio Ristorante, Tavolata, or the Miller's Guild for more upscale meals.

Other good options include Lunchbox Laboratories, which is a bit of a hike over by Eastlake (but very good and pretty affordable); there is a place in Pike Place that sells amazing humbow called Mee Sum Pastry; and Ludi's (which my husband loves but I have never been to). I agree with going up to Cap Hill too; it's a bit of a steep climb but there is a LOT of food up there. Mario's Pizza, The Unicorn, multiple ramen places, etc.

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Daaaaang. Dem fritters doe.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    DarthJanioDarthJanio Registered User new member
    If you don't mind walking east on Pike, there are a lot of great places a few blocks from the Con. Take it from me, I live right near the WSCC.

Food
    - Six Arms (4 blocks away): Food is fine, beer is good. Cajon tots are the real winner here. Lots of space and a good vibe.
    - Mamnoon (4 blocks away): Lebanese food that is incredible. If you want quicker or cheaper options, there's a 'Mamnoon Street' window that serves to-go orders at the same location.
    - Oaxaquena (5 blocks away): Mexican food joint that makes a bunch of salsas from scratch. If you go early, get the chilaquiles.
    - Lil Woodys (5 blocks away): Burger joint that is pretty awesome. Straight forward, lots of options, always great.
    - Honey Hole (9 blocks away): Agree with everyone's take above. Honey Hole is a good sandwich.
    - BrewLab (9 blocks away): Food is fine, beer selection and overall quality is my favorite in the area. We're regulars here, but mostly for beer and vibe reasons.
    - Autthaya (9 blocks away): If Thai is ne, I dig this place. A little heavy on cooking with oil, but otherwise pretty solid.
    - Marination Station (10 blocks away): Tucked away above the QFC, this is a Hawaiian-Korean fusion place. Hole in the wall, not open very late but highly suggest the kimchi fried rice with sexy tofu. It's insane.

Coffee
    - Victrola (4 blocks away): Best coffee in the neighborhood. The Starbucks Roastery is fun to walk around and take in, but coffee is cheaper and superior at Victrola imo.

These are just a few! Happy to drop more ideas if people have specific diets or interests!

• Options
    Oh! I forgot to mention Bok a Bok on 10th. It's like a fusion between Korean and Southern fried chicken and biscuits. Massive chicken tenders and the dirrrrrtiest tater tots you've ever eaten.

http://www.bokabokchicken.com/

• Options
    chubbyninjakttychubbyninjaktty Registered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for sushi? My husband is apparently inconsolable over Blue C closing.

• Options
    davobahdavobah Registered User regular
    I don't know of anything as cheap as blue c, but Umi and Wasabi in Belltown are good mid level. For top shelf gourmet, there is Shiro's in Belltown and Nishino on Madison as you head toward Lake Washington (not close).

ewk6x7oeylli.png
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Okay, Seattle local here. My opinions (to be taken or left) are below:

1) When coming to Seattle, try to get out at least once for food we specialize in. Have a regional experience! Japanese, Mexican, Vietnamese and Seafood specifically.

2) It truly is difficult to find bad food downtown; rents are outrageous and bad restaurants just can’t make it.

3) Walk at least 2 blocks away from the con for a more civilized experience.

4) Food trucks are hit-or-miss. Weirdly, almost all of the taco trucks are outstanding. If you’re concerned about safety, note that the local County Department of Health Regs were written by a bunch of ASS HOLES and truck food is safe to the point of being unrecognizable.

5) I am shitting myself with laughter over all of the Honey Hole callouts. It’s a lesbian coffee shop - which in itself is not a big deal anymore - but hey, can we get a shoutout for the great name? Yes, their sandwiches are legit.

6) My downtown reccs, if anybody cares:
    Vietnamese: Green Leaf*
    Japanese: Japonessa, Nijo or Shiro’s
    Mexican: La Cochina Oaxacaña
    Seafood: Elliott’s or Seatown

Burgers: Meg’s Smash Burgers (shameless plug for my friend’s place). Also, Altstadt for FUCKING AMAZING German fare.

*Note: New Saigon is a Vietnamese cafe in the basement of a building 2 blocks from the con, and it’s solid.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    DragonDragon Registered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for sushi? My husband is apparently inconsolable over Blue C closing.
    My general go to for sushi downtown is Japonessa

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Here is the food list from a few years ago. Big thanks to ElmoFuntz, there is a map that goes with it

This map of fast food is 2014/2015 ish. Someone might have an updated copy. Keep the suggestions coming.

And last years massive thread

kube00 on
    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

• Options
    I can recommend Yard House or Tap House for drinks. I also enjoy food and drinks at Elephant & Castle

• Options
    If you like Indian food, I'd highly recommend Kastoori Grill near Pike Place Market (right around the corner from Biscuit Bitch). Last time I was in town for PAX, I went for the lunch buffet and it was AMAZING! Lots of really tasty vegetarian options too. I'm 100% planning to go back there this time around.

I'll be checking this out!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Okay, Seattle local here. My opinions (to be taken or left) are below:

1) When coming to Seattle, try to get out at least once for food we specialize in. Have a regional experience! Japanese, Mexican, Vietnamese and Seafood specifically.

2) It truly is difficult to find bad food downtown; rents are outrageous and bad restaurants just can’t make it.

3) Walk at least 2 blocks away from the con for a more civilized experience.

4) Food trucks are hit-or-miss. Weirdly, almost all of the taco trucks are outstanding. If you’re concerned about safety, note that the local County Department of Health Regs were written by a bunch of ASS HOLES and truck food is safe to the point of being unrecognizable.

5) I am shitting myself with laughter over all of the Honey Hole callouts. It’s a lesbian coffee shop - which in itself is not a big deal anymore - but hey, can we get a shoutout for the great name? Yes, their sandwiches are legit.

6) My downtown reccs, if anybody cares:
    Vietnamese: Green Leaf*
    Japanese: Japonessa, Nijo or Shiro’s
    Mexican: La Cochina Oaxacaña
    Seafood: Elliott’s or Seatown

Burgers: Meg’s Smash Burgers (shameless plug for my friend’s place). Also, Altstadt for FUCKING AMAZING German fare.

*Note: New Saigon is a Vietnamese cafe in the basement of a building 2 blocks from the con, and it’s solid.

So I'm curious about Allstadt, I like German food and its been a few years (PAX South). I'll have to make sure I go there

kube00 on

• Options
    If you can drive and like BBQ, Jacks BBQ has always been on my list. They are closed on Monday.
    Looks like they have a downtown location now. I've always gone to their HQ so no experience with that location.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    If you can drive and like BBQ, Jacks BBQ has always been on my list. They are closed on Monday.
    Looks like they have a downtown location now. I've always gone to their HQ so no experience with that location.

Looks to be Texas BBQ...yum

• Options
    AshrackAshrack Enforcer Deputy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you want to pick up something real quick and on-site - consider Juicy Cafe on 2nd floor of the convention center come down escalators then go back behind them to find the cafe. Juicy really steps up to support PAX with extra staff and they crush their lines all weekend long. The options are tasty and super healthy, it'll be the fastest thing because you don't need to walk far. I make sure to stop there at least once a day all weekend long.

• Options
    Ashrack wrote: »
    If you want to pick up something real quick and on-site - consider Juicy Cafe on 2nd floor of the convention center come down escalators then go back behind them to find the cafe. Juicy really steps up to support PAX with extra staff and they crush their lines all weekend long. The options are tasty and super healthy, it'll be the fastest thing because you don't need to walk far. I make sure to stop there at least once a day all weekend long.

I'll have to check this out!

• Options
    SweetCosmicPopeSweetCosmicPope Just Some Dude Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I forgot about this place, and then I walked by the other day: The Grilled Cheese Experience is right next door to the parking garage.