As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's get this [job] thread!

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    so my boss was all piss grumpy last friday because I spent 3 hours working on a feature that would allow our billers to lock accounts so orders couldn't be entered on them if they owed money

you see our front office staff doesn't like confrontation and refuses to just decline care if a patient won't pay their copay or owes money. It's also against our agreement with the insurance provider to not collect that money, we could potentially be dropped if there was a large enough pool of patients and they all told on us. There wasn't really an inbuilt way in my EHR for it because before like 3 years ago it was never a problem but then the two old ladies quit and newer ones took over who have anxiety. But that's not even a real problem because the billing manager said "hey just call me I'll collect from them." But they'd just avoid it completely and create their fee ticket for them (those sheets of papers with tests marked off when you go to the doctor) and let them through.

So I created this thing to disallow anyone just circumventing those collection notices, my boss got all pissy that I "wasted time" and within 3 days it already paid triple the time I spent on it because we were able to snag nearly half a grand in revenue. Think of how much we haven't been collecting.

I'm going to ask for a big raise next year.

This is pretty much exactly why I got out of medical office management.

There are countless reasons why the doctor I worked for and I would choose to continue to extend services to patients who owed money. Including patients with balances of over a thousand dollars that went back for over a year or more (racking up a balance like that takes longer when seeing a psychiatrist with a max charge of maybe $150 per session than it would with a lot of other doctors with higher cost procedures). The doctor's husband, who ultimately ran the practice, used to try to get on us both to stop scheduling sessions for patients with balances over a certain amount, and we both ignored him since those patients were usually among those who needed help the most. I have nothing but revulsion for the idea of actually locking accounts like those.

Our practice could afford to carry those balances, easily. And no private insurance company is going to actually verify that patients are paying their balances - in all of the years of records requests and audits that I fulfilled, not one ever requested billing or payment info. Medicare might, but that's because of the large amount of medical fraud that exists based on convincing patients with Medicare to agree to receive various services and undergo various tests by promising them that you won't collect the co-payments - which means that they get to feel well cared for at no cost to themselves, while the government is footing the bill for ridiculous amounts of unnecessary medical services.

Holy cow, I can't believe how angry this is making me right now. Universal healthcare cannot get here fast enough.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ketar wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    so my boss was all piss grumpy last friday because I spent 3 hours working on a feature that would allow our billers to lock accounts so orders couldn't be entered on them if they owed money

you see our front office staff doesn't like confrontation and refuses to just decline care if a patient won't pay their copay or owes money. It's also against our agreement with the insurance provider to not collect that money, we could potentially be dropped if there was a large enough pool of patients and they all told on us. There wasn't really an inbuilt way in my EHR for it because before like 3 years ago it was never a problem but then the two old ladies quit and newer ones took over who have anxiety. But that's not even a real problem because the billing manager said "hey just call me I'll collect from them." But they'd just avoid it completely and create their fee ticket for them (those sheets of papers with tests marked off when you go to the doctor) and let them through.

So I created this thing to disallow anyone just circumventing those collection notices, my boss got all pissy that I "wasted time" and within 3 days it already paid triple the time I spent on it because we were able to snag nearly half a grand in revenue. Think of how much we haven't been collecting.

I'm going to ask for a big raise next year.

This is pretty much exactly why I got out of medical office management.

There are countless reasons why the doctor I worked for and I would choose to continue to extend services to patients who owed money. Including patients with balances of over a thousand dollars that went back for over a year or more (racking up a balance like that takes longer when seeing a psychiatrist with a max charge of maybe $150 per session than it would with a lot of other doctors with higher cost procedures). The doctor's husband, who ultimately ran the practice, used to try to get on us both to stop scheduling sessions for patients with balances over a certain amount, and we both ignored him since those patients were usually among those who needed help the most. I have nothing but revulsion for the idea of actually locking accounts like those.

Our practice could afford to carry those balances, easily. And no private insurance company is going to actually verify that patients are paying their balances - in all of the years of records requests and audits that I fulfilled, not one ever requested billing or payment info. Medicare might, but that's because of the large amount of medical fraud that exists based on convincing patients with Medicare to agree to receive various services and undergo various tests by promising them that you won't collect the co-payments - which means that they get to feel well cared for at no cost to themselves, while the government is footing the bill for ridiculous amounts of unnecessary medical services.

Holy cow, I can't believe how angry this is making me right now. Universal healthcare cannot get here fast enough.

Trust me when I say these patients aren't "in need", we definitely wipe balances for them. This is in the ballpark for when a grumpy old man says "I don't want to pay my $10 copay" the receptionist at the window goes "okay" because she hates confrontation. We've already gotten threatened by one of the several dozen BC plans. This is also to collect on payment plans as well.

But yes I 100% agree.

Right now we're in a fight with medicare to reinstate benefits because a hospital in Buffalo marked a patient deceased and they've been fighting with SSI to get benefits reinstated for 5 months but the hospital keeps resubmitting their codes every few weeks (probably because medicare isn't paying them).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    CCNA studying update. At this stage I want to test my recall and make sure I'm understanding the material.

I drew out a simple network, created some requirements for it, and then wrote down the configuration commands I would need, in order to meet those requirements. After wracking my brains, I plugged what I came up with into a simulator to see which steps I missed. Figuring out where I went wrong gives me practical experience troubleshooting (er, sorta).

I've been using Packet Tracer 7.0 when I'm on the PC and Packet Tracer Mobile when I'm in a study session. I'm given to understand that gns3 is a better choice, but also that PT should be 'good enough' for my level. Some annoying quirks aside, it seems to be sufficient.

This process worked well enough for a basic network, but I had some trouble coming up with a more involved model. Are there any resources you've run across that essentially ask, "create a(n inter) network such that ... "?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Working up front/lobby in the ER today.

"I've been here since X and I don't recognize anyone else here, why am I last to go?" repeat x5 by different people.

It's usually after they just took a trip to the cafeteria too.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Speaking of dim lighting. The toilet at work has enough natural light that you dont need to turn the light on, at first. But i swear this toilet is cursed. Intead of adjusting to the light, it gets dimmer the longer you're in there.

Well yeah. The sun moves.

Quicker than your bowels?

For reference, a quick google says that the sun moves around galactic centre at 828,000kph or 515,000mph.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    After being busy hanging with my brother and his family this past weekend and then getting sick Monday night through most of today, I finally had a moment to record my one-way video interview for a school help desk job in DC which was my first time doing that but I feel like I did well enough.

We'll see what happens. I also had a school do reference checks but they have not gotten in touch with me yet. But the whole using schools instead of tech companies thing is working out better so far in that I am actually hearing from people.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So I’m very tired and I have to be at work in 8 hours but it’s too hot even with my air conditioner on fullblast to sleep under my quilt but how else am I supposed to keep ghosts from eating my feet?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    By busting the ghosts.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Put out milk and cereal for the ghosts?

I mean, it works for faeries...

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Speaking of dim lighting. The toilet at work has enough natural light that you dont need to turn the light on, at first. But i swear this toilet is cursed. Intead of adjusting to the light, it gets dimmer the longer you're in there.

Well yeah. The sun moves.

Quicker than your bowels?

For reference, a quick google says that the sun moves around galactic centre at 828,000kph or 515,000mph.

Sooo...Taco Bell bowel speed?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Freshman first day, let's do this!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Ghosts and monsters are also stopped by light sheets

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    More payroll correspondence. Yeah, we’re probably going to go back to processing payroll manually. No one will get direct deposits but oh well.

Me, a while ago: Hello! So I see you successfully updated our bank account (after two months of back-and-forth), so the direct deposits and payroll fees are being withdrawn correctly, but the tax amounts aren’t being withdrawn. Obviously you need to file our Q2 taxes so wtf?
    Payroll Service person: Can I confirm the account?
    Me: Certainly! Yes! That is correct. Like I said, you’ve obviously updated it so I’m not sure why the taxes aren’t being withdrawn?
    Them: Hey, you owe us taxes.
    Me: I... I know? That’s what my email is about?
    Them: Hey, you owe us taxes
    Them: Since you have not responded to us we will now charge you $500 in penalties
    Me: Look, I emailed multiple times and here’s your proof, you never properly responded to my previous emails, wtf.
    Them: Okay wire us $9k
    Me: Great! Finally! Here’s $9k. Look, I show that we owe you an additional $6k, so please get back to me on that.
    Them: Hey you owe us $15k.
    Me: What about that $9k we already wired you?
    Them: That’s for payroll tax variance. It doesn’t count towards the $15k owed.
    Me: What is a $9k variance and how did you come up with that, wtf, there is no variance for any of our other companies?
    Them: *yet to respond*

Is this a different company then previous? If so then yikes it seems no payroll processor has their shit together. If not and its the same, then oh my god I am so sorrty

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    You think i could convert one of these into a speaker or camera tripod?

https://www.amazon.com/pivot-point-mannequin-tripod/s?k=pivot+point+mannequin+tripod

RoyceSraphim on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    More payroll correspondence. Yeah, we’re probably going to go back to processing payroll manually. No one will get direct deposits but oh well.

Me, a while ago: Hello! So I see you successfully updated our bank account (after two months of back-and-forth), so the direct deposits and payroll fees are being withdrawn correctly, but the tax amounts aren’t being withdrawn. Obviously you need to file our Q2 taxes so wtf?
    Payroll Service person: Can I confirm the account?
    Me: Certainly! Yes! That is correct. Like I said, you’ve obviously updated it so I’m not sure why the taxes aren’t being withdrawn?
    Them: Hey, you owe us taxes.
    Me: I... I know? That’s what my email is about?
    Them: Since you have not responded to us we will now charge you $500 in penalties
    Me: Look, I emailed multiple times and here’s your proof, you never properly responded to my previous emails, wtf.
    Them: Okay wire us $9k
    Me: Great! Finally! Here’s $9k. Look, I show that we owe you an additional $6k, so please get back to me on that.
    Them: Hey you owe us $15k.
    Me: What about that $9k we already wired you?
    Them: That’s for payroll tax variance. It doesn’t count towards the $15k owed.
    Me: What is a $9k variance and how did you come up with that, wtf, there is no variance for any of our other companies?
    Them: *yet to respond*

Is this a different company then previous? If so then yikes it seems no payroll processor has their shit together. If not and its the same, then oh my god I am so sorrty

Are ya'll stuck dealing with actual con artists due to a lot of legit people not wanting to touch the devils lettuce?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

https://www.amazon.com/pivot-point-mannequin-tripod/s?k=pivot+point+mannequin+tripod

yes, but you could also buy a normal tripod for the same amount.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    After being busy hanging with my brother and his family this past weekend and then getting sick Monday night through most of today, I finally had a moment to record my one-way video interview for a school help desk job in DC which was my first time doing that but I feel like I did well enough.

We'll see what happens. I also had a school do reference checks but they have not gotten in touch with me yet. But the whole using schools instead of tech companies thing is working out better so far in that I am actually hearing from people.

Hey can I get that there Good Luck Lemur (it was a lemur, right?)

tynic wrote: »

yes, but you could also buy a normal tripod for the same amount.

There were 4 of them thrown out and I'm keeping one

Also need a blunt object around the house because my neighbor keeps saying the n word really fucking loud.

Hey can I get that there Good Luck Lemur (it was a lemur, right?)

image-20160609-7074-1gpn88u.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=496&fit=clip

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    15 years I've been in the Navy

15 years of hurricanes, war zones, and submarines without a single major injury

One week in to my Chief's training and I run face first into a wall and land on my wrist fracturing it

They let me take a picture of the X-ray!
    qw9sOMOl.jpg

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "It's 75 degrees it's too hot! Please adjust the temperature."

"It's 65 degrees it's too cold! Please adjust the temperature."

Fucking Angelinos!

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    "It's 75 degrees it's too hot! Please adjust the temperature."

"It's 65 degrees it's too cold! Please adjust the temperature."

Fucking Angelinos!

Hello yes we can only exist between 70 and 74 degrees.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    In other news, as in actual news, my workplace was on TV last night for, hmm let's see here, uhhh... killing a gopher with a rock on camera...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/08/13/norwalk-hospital-employees-seen-using-rock-to-kill-gopher-in-parking-lot/amp/

Oh and Sacramento is very interested in finding out who these morons are on top of the police

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Because of the recent stress test for Classic wow and people making 2005 comments and jokes it hit me like a brick wall as though I live in a different area it's the same problems {well it's been the same problems over this time but I had a shitty job to distract me from it} Just the all consuming dread sunk in. I know leaving is my "positive" option again But I also feel that sad siren call to go back to the hell known to men just to remedially earn money

I am both just so frustrated and depressed about it

Do not go back

Are you eligible for unemployment? Assistance from the VA?

If so, have you filed for benefits?

Don't know I put in the paper work 4 weeks ago have not heard back from the VA they helped me put in for unemployment as well

That is a great step in the right direction! Do not turn around!

Please

You deserve happiness and success

To add onto this, many times when applying for social assistance they will drag feet and stall as much as possible.

You need to treat claiming assistance as your new full time job and try to find a balance between annoying your case worker and being ghosted by them.

noisy wheel gets the grease vs the nail that sticks up gets hammered down

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    School Day Update: I am very tired.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow, @Madican , that's awful and cruel and disgusting. I hope they're prosecuted for animal cruelty

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Found poetry in the incident log: "I heard a man yelling in the library about Jesus very loudly."

GDdCWMm.jpg
    My route is so packed, i get 30 minutes of over time a night

40 if I need to do a job shadow, and if i need to document anything, like this silent fellow that used the doormat to the door of the main lobby as a mattress, I am passing things to coworkers.

Yes, our software requires a 5 minute writing session in addition to the 5.5 minutes i spent asking him to leave and making sure he left.

About to work on another job application when i wake up and plot surprising my girl.

Jedoc wrote: »
    Found poetry in the incident log: "I heard a man yelling in the library about Jesus very loudly."

Sounds like the beginning of a Country song

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

Sounds like the beginning of a Country song

Really? I feel like it sounds like a Tom Waits song about the plight of the homeless or something.

I made the photo slideshow. I ended up using powerpoint since I couldn't get the plugin for Infraview to play music on my work computer due to restrictions.

It was fine.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    First day report:

Owner and existing Warehouse Supervisor (the one I'm replacing) gave me the keys to the forklift and said they'd be right back. This was in response to me saying, "unload a truck? You got it bud, can I use those forks?"

15 minutes later I had an empty truck, uniform stacked pallets of like items and I'm using the forks to fix some miss-set pallet racking.

"Uh, so do you sign up for forklift dances? Or do they come and recruit you for the heavy lifter ballet?"

I think I'm gonna like it here.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    People keep trying to poach me so that's good I guess.

Poach like steal me from my job. Not like hunt me illegally but I guess I don't know them well enough to tell yet.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    First day report:

Owner and existing Warehouse Supervisor (the one I'm replacing) gave me the keys to the forklift and said they'd be right back. This was in response to me saying, "unload a truck? You got it bud, can I use those forks?"

15 minutes later I had an empty truck, uniform stacked pallets of like items and I'm using the forks to fix some miss-set pallet racking.

"Uh, so do you sign up for forklift dances? Or do they come and recruit you for the heavy lifter ballet?"

I'm pretty fucking good in a forklift. I especially love showing people the trick where you pick up a coin off the floor by dragging the tip of the fork over it backwards. Also, in the workshop I used to work at they had the concrete floor covered in epoxy and while we were mopping and scrubbing the entire floor at the end of the week, those slick tyres would slide better than the puck on an air hockey table...

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

Poach like steal me from my job. Not like hunt me illegally but I guess I don't know them well enough to tell yet.

Oh, I just assumed you meant that they're trying to cook you in a large vat.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    e: Beat on the next page without realizing.

Jragghen on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

Oh, I just assumed you meant that they're trying to cook you in a large vat.

I thought they were skinning him and suspending his body over a pool of boiling water.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    First day report:

I'm pretty fucking good in a forklift. I especially love showing people the trick where you pick up a coin off the floor by dragging the tip of the fork over it backwards. Also, in the workshop I used to work at they had the concrete floor covered in epoxy and while we were mopping and scrubbing the entire floor at the end of the week, those slick tyres would slide better than the puck on an air hockey table...

You drifted a forklift, haven't you?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love driving forklift. It can be a great job.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    My high school has a transportation and logistics academy. I helped the teacher set back up their forklift simulators. They just got a new warehouse so they can use their actual forklift more easily now so students can get forklift certifications or whatever they are called.