As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I hate you, Geth. A [chat].

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Minecraft is only fun if you enjoy building stuff for the sake of it, or big ol' mods

I can't really get into virtual construction unless things actually happen inside it, personally

A Rimworld kind of thing with full 3d construction would be lovely

Or a multiplayer game where you get other players entering your constructs, and maybe they collapse over time if you haven't logged in for a while, leaving interesting ruins...

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    i have a product design that I want to test but have no idea how
    i need to design a polypropylene or polystyrene mold but like how do you order a prototype of something

Option 1) Pay an outsourced product developer (like me!). They take a loose spec and develop a design which they then prototype. This is super expensive (Like £1-2k/day)
    Option 2) Do the design yourself (use whatever google sketchup became) and send to a prototype house (ones local to me that I've used include https://www.prototypeprojects.com/ and https://uk.3dsystems.com , the latter are big and might have something local to you). This will cost you a few grand all in.
    Option 3) Find a local guy who owns a workshop and will knock you something up based on a sketch. This is cheap (it'll cost a few hundred) but it's a pain to find one and even harder to know how good they are. We've got a couple that we use but they'll all super local and it's only for when our workshop is busy
    Awesome!!
    The actual material cost would be nonexistent. Definitely the actual design would be the problem.

Are you talking about a mold for a polypro or polystyrene part or a mold made of such things? The first is kind of my job and I'd be happy to point you towards some places if you'd like.
    honestly i dont know the lingo
    i want to make a widget
    the widget will be made of very cheap and thin plastic

i dont need a mold in the factory sense, where a mold is designed and then many replicates can be made from the mold

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Robot is actually an Old Slavic word for "Fucking dipshit".
    Brody wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Ryzen 5 3600
    16GB 3200 (OC to 3600) DDR4 RAM
    500GB NVME Samsung 970 EVO Boot Drive
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

inferior.png[/img]

utter garbage
    trash
    throw it away
    all computers must radiate with the loving light of the RGB god

Idk, it kinda looks like the black monolith of doom. That has a certain stylistic appeal.

Yeah, that's the idea. Just black and metal.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Minecraft is evil because it teaches kids about destroying the environment for mining and the wilful depletion of fossil fuels.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Speaking of minecraft the big multiplayer update for No Mans Sky is out today

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Minecraft is only fun if you enjoy building stuff for the sake of it, or big ol' mods

I can't really get into virtual construction unless things actually happen inside it, personally

Or a multiplayer game where you get other players entering your constructs, and maybe they collapse over time if you haven't logged in for a while, leaving interesting ruins...

I feel like this kind of decaying stuff game has been done and is basically frustrating for most people. Makes the game into a chore.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

I feel like this kind of decaying stuff game has been done and is basically frustrating for most people. Makes the game into a chore.

Decaying is less fun than, like, having big monster attacks happen that destroy a bunch of stuff.

Which I guess is fundamentally the idea behind a creeper.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Yeah, I could only play vanilla Minecraft with friends when we were talking random crap and/or our actually design-interested friend decided he wanted to build Neuschwanstein Castle and needed that mountain tore down for materials.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I like robots.
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    i have a product design that I want to test but have no idea how
    i need to design a polypropylene or polystyrene mold but like how do you order a prototype of something

Option 1) Pay an outsourced product developer (like me!). They take a loose spec and develop a design which they then prototype. This is super expensive (Like £1-2k/day)
    Option 2) Do the design yourself (use whatever google sketchup became) and send to a prototype house (ones local to me that I've used include https://www.prototypeprojects.com/ and https://uk.3dsystems.com , the latter are big and might have something local to you). This will cost you a few grand all in.
    Option 3) Find a local guy who owns a workshop and will knock you something up based on a sketch. This is cheap (it'll cost a few hundred) but it's a pain to find one and even harder to know how good they are. We've got a couple that we use but they'll all super local and it's only for when our workshop is busy
    Awesome!!
    The actual material cost would be nonexistent. Definitely the actual design would be the problem.

Are you talking about a mold for a polypro or polystyrene part or a mold made of such things? The first is kind of my job and I'd be happy to point you towards some places if you'd like.
    honestly i dont know the lingo
    i want to make a widget
    the widget will be made of very cheap and thin plastic

i dont need a mold in the factory sense, where a mold is designed and then many replicates can be made from the mold

Right, so if you want like a couple of these then seek out a 3D printing house. You'll basically need a good 3D model in STL format and a credit card. Rapid prototypes are your answer there though they'll have some physical issues because they have a grain.

If you want like a hundred+ then you probably want to mold them and go to a molding prototype house. You're talking a few thousand in dollars here, at least.

In between is where you really need to comparison shop and figure out your break point for which is better.

If you want some advice about how to make the part mold able feel free to PM me. That is like 40% of my day job.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Ryzen 5 3600
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

inferior.png[/img]

utter garbage
    trash
    throw it away
    all computers must radiate with the loving light of the RGB god

My rgb seems to have died somehow on my steel series keyboard and while I’m a bit confused as to why, I’m quite happy with it

on keyboards RGB is powered by the clickety clack
    you may need to swap cherry switches in your keyboard if it's not loud enough
    ideal volume is loud enough to wake your dog up but not loud enough for the hobo at the circle k 3 blocks down the street to hear

Um they’re browns and that ain’t changing son

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    W e a p o n D e g r a d a t i o n

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    W e a p o n D e g r a d a t i o n

don't you fuckin start

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

It would have to be something different, not just forced maintenance

Like, if the building process is itself a game, and when you beat a level, that construct goes into the library of ruins that players can encounter, progressively decaying as time passes

Meanwhile players can have and maintain a base that doesn't decay because it's lived in, though they can abandon it and build a new one

Couldn't be a persistent world, would have to be abstracted/instanced/sharded, ending up like the islands and rivers in Heaven's Vault or something

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Decaying is less fun than, like, having big monster attacks happen that destroy a bunch of stuff.

i play on peaceful anymore

the monsters in minecraft are just obnoxious until you achieve enough resources to make them trivially easy to simply ignore

and you don't need any of them to accomplish anything

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Question for the 1 or 2 American people here.

When you grew up, what was, roughly, the success rate of your classes in elementary, middle and high school? More or less?

Lower grades was basically everyone with a few holdbacks over the years

High school ?

67%

Only 67% of students are your high school would pass?

Okay, wow, i had no idea it was this low. Was it a typical school for your area of the country?

Since you said "would pass", maybe it's important to clarify that the attrition rate is almost always tied to drop outs, if that's pertinent to your inquiry. I don't believe we have many failures that are purely academic?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    I just really want people to encounter the abandoned places used by real people in a virtual world

Spoopy

• Options
    Speaking of minecraft the big multiplayer update for No Mans Sky is out today

So now it is Multiple Mans Sky?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I just really want people to encounter the abandoned places used by real people in a virtual world

Spoopy

I wish all those early 3D social space games where people could build stuff didn't all shut down with almost nothing preserved because going through those is amazing.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Also, that EVGA nameplate lights up (I've got one) and I bet that mobo does too ;-)

I also have a black obelisk corsair case, I just haven't disabled the mobo RBG because I can't see it

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I enjoyed the last NMS update but the PS4 naming servers were always down and the sight of dozens of planets I'd lovingly named according to various rules all slowly reverting to their original, opaque and impersonal names was demoralising enough to stop me from playing.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    My son woke up in the middle of the night, and while it took 5 minutes to get him back to sleep, it was closer to two hours for me.

So when I tried to warm up my breakfast I hit the wrong button on the microwave and it exploded.

I AM FINE.

HOW ARE YOU CHAT?

BSoB on
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

the monsters in minecraft are just obnoxious until you achieve enough resources to make them trivially easy to simply ignore

You need mobs. Unless you are playing on creative.

Gotta get slime and bone meal.

• Options

hmm true i guess you do need slime

bone meal isn't really necessary but it is useful

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    My son woke up in the middle of the night, and while it took 5 minutes to get him back to sleep, it was closer to two hours for me.

So when I tried to warm up my breakfast I hit the wrong button on the microwave and it exploded.

I AM FINE.

HOW ARE YOU CHAT?

Your breakfast exploded and not the microwave, right?

Microwaves should not have 'explode' buttons.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Yall hate computer lights a lot.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/14/major-breach-found-in-biometrics-system-used-by-banks-uk-police-and-defence-firms

“Suprema is the security company responsible for the web-based Biostar 2 biometrics lock system that allows centralised control for access to secure facilities like warehouses or office buildings. Biostar 2 uses fingerprints and facial recognition as part of its means of identifying people attempting to gain access to buildings.
    Last month, Suprema announced its Biostar 2 platform was integrated into another access control system – AEOS. AEOS is used by 5,700 organisations in 83 countries, including governments, banks and the UK Metropolitan police.”

“In a search last week, the researchers found Biostar 2’s database was unprotected and mostly unencrypted. They were able to search the database by manipulating the URL search criteria in Elasticsearch to gain access to data.
    The researchers had access to over 27.8m records, and 23 gigabytes-worth of data including admin panels, dashboards, fingerprint data, facial recognition data, face photos of users, unencrypted usernames and passwords, logs of facility access, security levels and clearance, and personal details of staff.
    Much of the usernames and passwords were not encrypted, Rotem told the Guardian.
    “We were able to find plain-text passwords of administrator accounts,” he said.”

is any company anywhere good at security

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »

I AM FINE.

HOW ARE YOU CHAT?

Your breakfast exploded and not the microwave, right?

Microwaves should not have 'explode' buttons.

Look at Mr. Safety over here.

I have the right to own an exploding microwave if I so choose.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    is any company anywhere good at security

short answer: no

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I had my first massage today, to see if it would help with my back

it's p nice I can see doing this more often

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    security is an expense to be minimized

there are always more people trying to break your security than you have strengthening it

it's presumed to be cheaper in the long run to pay damages

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I like robots.
    Ryzen 5 3600
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

libiebb96uvl.jpg

Is that a Corsair case? Think I have the same one

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I like robots.
    I had a dream last night where there was a widespread condition in which you would turn bright pink if your unwillingness to do work was greater than your capacity to do work, and this was being used in a future dystopia situation to persecute lazy people

I was very upset over it

...surely my subconscious doesn’t have a sense of unease and anxiety over my lax approach to my job

(Also in my dream @Evil Multifarious was specifically upset at this condition as well hahaha)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    security is an expense to be minimized

there are always more people trying to break your security than you have strengthening it

it's presumed to be cheaper in the long run to pay damages

GDPR: "Hello, that'll be 4% of your profits per incident"

• Options

Ender eyes.... gunpowder... lots of fun mob items.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    I used to run this "alchemy" mod where all items had a cost, and you could exchange items for equivalent costs. Dirt was 1 point, a diamond was 8192 or something, so dig up enough dirt and you could transmute that to a diamond.

I play Minecraft to build weird machines, not grind for materials, so that was perfect for me.

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    I had a dream last night where there was a widespread condition in which you would turn bright pink if your unwillingness to do work was greater than your capacity to do work, and this was being used in a future dystopia situation to persecute lazy people

I was very upset over it

...surely my subconscious doesn’t have a sense of unease and anxiety over my lax approach to my job

(Also in my dream "Evil Multifarious" was specifically upset at this condition as well hahaha)

this would be truly horrifying

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So did Apex literally just get a regular Battle Royale mode?

• Options

Ender eyes.... gunpowder... lots of fun mob items.

you can make gunpowder

ender eyes i suppose no other source

look i just want easy mode ok gawl

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

I was very upset over it

(Also in my dream @Evil Multifarious was specifically upset at this condition as well hahaha)

What's that, sorry, I can't see any posts, there's this incredibly bright pink light everywhere, an incandescent flaming rose filling my vision and demanding in a voice like soft thunder that I look at my phone every five minutes

This discussion has been closed.