As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Still using iron (this is very early game) aside from Petra, who's my only melee fighter who bothered to gain any spd. She just made myrmidon, so she can handle herself.
    The others just haven't been getting the stats to actually get better.

Has everyone jumped up from the starting class to the level 5 tier class?

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    The only suggestion I can really think might be relevant, is make sure you're fighting on your terms. Soften up targets at range before killing them with melee units. Force enemies to approach your tougher units, disable groups by hitting them with a well placed gambit stuff like that.

You can highlight enemies to see their aggro ranges. So a solid strategy is put Edelgard (probably your toughest unit) just inside their aggro range so that one unit can reach her and block the rest. She should be able to survive atleast a few hits. Then the rest of your units swoop in for the kills. Heal Edelgard up and repeat.

Worst comes to the worst you can switch from hard to normal (but not the reverse) and if your on normal, you can grind the battle maps.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Still using iron (this is very early game) aside from Petra, who's my only melee fighter who bothered to gain any spd. She just made myrmidon, so she can handle herself.

Byleth and Petra are myrmidons, Edelgard's a fighter, but those are my only level 5s.
    I feel like I've missed a battle or something, it doesn't feel like they've had a chance to get strong enough for this. I've tried to feed everyone as much as they can handle, the stats just haven't come.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    The Noble and Commoner classes have really low growths, I think resetting is probably a mistake because you won't get much better.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Byleth and Petra are myrmidons, Edelgard's a fighter, but those are my only level 5s.
    I feel like I've missed a battle or something, it doesn't feel like they've had a chance to get strong enough for this. I've tried to feed everyone as much as they can handle, the stats just haven't come.

If that's the fight I'm thinking of, restarting isn't going to really help you. That fight is against bandits, who are high speed enemies. Any bandit who is not wielding an axe will get double hits against you at that point. The way I got through it was to slowly advance, having range units (bows and magic) attack first, and then front line units attack second. The range units couldn't be hit by the melee bandits due to distance, negating the speed disadvantage and normally dropped them low enough that it only took a single melee hit to finish them off.

Also, the game is very much about movement. Most of the time, enemies will not move if there is no target in range. This lets you lure enemies in by putting your highest defense unit in a position where only a single enemy can reach them, and then gang up on that enemy, while your healer helps keep damage under control.

PSN|AspectVoid
    The Noble and Commoner classes have really low growths, I think resetting is probably a mistake because you won't get much better.

Ah. Okay, I guess I'm sticking it out.
    I'm used to the old FE games where you had the regular classes from the off, so stat growths were stat growths. If this were PoR, I'd reset because they were getting too far back to recover. If they can turn it around once I managed to promote them to something, I can deal.
    I'm not facing an impossible fight, just one I'm going to have to inch my way through.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Early game you need to take advantage of trees. It raises your avoidance and other stuff so the bandits miss more

camo_sig.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Early game you need to take advantage of trees. It raises your avoidance and other stuff so the bandits miss more

Oh yeah, trees are way better in this one I think. There's a couple early fights I won by sticking my tanky units just inside the treeline so my enemies had to be in the open. It's like an extra 20-30% dodge chance.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Early game give everyone a sword, because lances and axes are heavier and will lower your attack speed and get you double attacked a bunch

Swords are also more accurate

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Ah. Okay, I guess I'm sticking it out.
    I'm used to the old FE games where you had the regular classes from the off, so stat growths were stat growths. If this were PoR, I'd reset because they were getting too far back to recover. If they can turn it around once I managed to promote them to something, I can deal.
    I'm not facing an impossible fight, just one I'm going to have to inch my way through.

This game is MUCH easier than PoR. Once your characters start growing a bit and you get more mechanics unlocked you'll be happy you didn't try to get more stats.

I'd never be unhappy about getting more numbers.

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Early game give everyone a sword, because lances and axes are heavier and will lower your attack speed and get you double attacked a bunch

Swords are also more accurate

Another idea that's not obvious in game is to avoid putting shields on every character who can equip one. When I was starting, it seemed obvious that having a shield was better than not having a shield, right? But the game doesn't really show how the weight from the shield effects speed, which led to most of my characters being doubled consistently. Once I unequipped shields, my characters stopped getting doubled by everything they encountered.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Speaking of OP characters with all the numbers, my Claude keeps accidentally killing more things and he is now level 26. Which seems funny because I was told (class spoilers)
    That you get his second unique class at level 30... but I still don't have his first unique class... So is he going to be in the first unique class for like 2 levels?

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I've got Edelgard toting around an Iron Axe, Steel Axe+, Killer Axe, Devil Axe, some legendary armor-crushing axe I've never used, and I still have her use the Iron Axe most of the time because it always does the most damage due to the extra attack. And this is in chapter 14. Honestly it feels like the numbers really needed more tweaking, it doesn't seem like this should be the case.

Also, Crimson Flower route continues to have some really bad storytelling.
    I got a dialogue choice from a character whose allegiance I didn't really know, asking if I meant to kill a specific character in the last battle. That character was a commander, and the objective was to defeat the commanders, so out-of-game? Absolutely. But given that I wasn't clear on the relationship between these two characters (the commander had only been introduced, fought, and defeated this month), I said no.

Then the events of the next scene happen, and I had no idea what was going on.

the best defense is murdering them with a single crit.

That's the policy of most of my sword users.

camo_sig.png
  • RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    rndmhero wrote: »
    But the game doesn't really show how the weight from the shield effects speed

I still don't know what weight does. I didn't even realize it was a stat until Raphael learned a -3 wt (and then a -5 wt) ability.

Russad on
    edited August 2019
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I've got Edelgard toting around an Iron Axe, Steel Axe+, Killer Axe, Devil Axe, some legendary armor-crushing axe I've never used, and I still have her use the Iron Axe most of the time because it always does the most damage due to the extra attack. And this is in chapter 14. Honestly it feels like the numbers really needed more tweaking, it doesn't seem like this should be the case.

That just seems like a matter of her stat spread being in a very specific place. She has enough strength to boost the numbers on Iron but just enough speed to only double with that. It doesn't necessarily say much about the numbers.

Plus a 1 hit higher damage shot has plenty of situations where it's better. Especially with a combat art and extra especially with crit chance.

DemonStacey on
    Russad wrote: »

I still don't know what weight does. I didn't even realize it was a stat until Raphael learned a -3 wt (and then a -5 wt) ability.

slows your speed so less likely to hit, double and more likely to be doubled. Though it isn't super clear how to see it

camo_sig.png

slows your speed so less likely to hit, double and more likely to be doubled. Though it isn't super clear how to see it

The game does the end math for attack speed for you though so the result of speed is very clear even if the math isn't. You can change weight and watch the number be directly affected.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Only relic that matters is Thyrsus. I still haven't used any other even though I probably have a sizeable pile of umbral steel right now.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Steel weapons have always sucked in FE. They are often to heavy and the higher damage not worth losing the extra attack and hit/avoid penalties. I keep one around for the times when the extra damage they provide matters, but it’s almost exclusively Iron weapons through most of the game.

They were ok in PoR where you could forge away their weight. But that’s fat shaming and not cool!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Talith wrote: »
    Only relic that matters is Thyrsus. I still haven't used any other even though I probably have a sizeable pile of umbral steel right now.

My mage isn't a crest user so I have to use the other legendary range staff instead of the relic one. It's ok because she has meteor so she can blow things up from 17 miles away.

MNC Dover wrote: »
    Steel weapons have always sucked in FE. They are often to heavy and the higher damage not worth losing the extra attack and hit/avoid penalties. I keep one around for the times when the extra damage they provide matters, but it’s almost exclusively Iron weapons through most of the game.

They were ok in PoR where you could forge away their weight. But that’s fat shaming and not cool!

In my game almost all of my units still doubled with Steel so I stopped using Iron. But now I've got lots of cool special weapons and Silver stuff too.

• RussadRussad MARegistered User regular

GenieJawDrop.gif

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Higher strength offsets weapon weight for attack speed

This is why strength gains on mages is super valuable, those tomes are heavy and even with good speed you won't get doubles because they're too weak

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited August 2019

GenieJawDrop.gif

Specifically it lowers your attack speed (AS) directly, and you need to be I believe 4 higher than your opponent to double them.

I believe the formula for Attack Speed = Speed - Weight, where Weight is Weapon/Spell Wt + Equipment Wt (shield, accessory, staff, etc.) and every 5 Strength = -1 WT. Also, heavy armor has - WT skills.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif

GenieJawDrop.gif

On your stat screen there is a stat labelled AS. That is attack speed. It's the final number you get from the STR/Weight/SPD calculation. It's the one that matters and is paired against the enemy AS to decide doubles. Just look at that number and it tell you everything you need to know.

Also you can press X on the stat screen and read a blurb about what each stat there does.

The game does a pretty good job of having all the info available.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I got a dialogue choice from a character whose allegiance I didn't really know, asking if I meant to kill a specific character in the last battle. That character was a commander, and the objective was to defeat the commanders, so out-of-game? Absolutely. But given that I wasn't clear on the relationship between these two characters (the commander had only been introduced, fought, and defeated this month), I said no.

I'm hoping on Hard the weapons will have more meaning. I'm in the same boat, right now basic magic, melee, bow attacks are always the strongest because they can hit twice. Using an ability always cuts into the damage since they only hit once. I'm guessing I won't have quite the speed advantage on Hard, making specialized weapons and abilities more impactful.

Crimson Flower (ch 14-ish):
    I had the same issue. Except I answered "yes" since that was the mission. Then crap happens and it seemed like everyone knew the boss worked for this character before we even attacked. The whole Death Knight thing confused me as well, as in Part 1, it seems to work for the Flame Emperor (FE mentions he can borrow the DK). Yet in Part 2, the DK seems to work for the person "borrowing" it.

I think they really needed a bit more content for Part 2. They could have added a couple main missions with the sub plot, to slowly build up those characters and the threat they possess. It's understandable though, since they 4 different paths with content that Part 2 would be lacking.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'm hoping on Hard the weapons will have more meaning. I'm in the same boat, right now basic magic, melee, bow attacks are always the strongest because they can hit twice. Using an ability always cuts into the damage since they only hit once. I'm guessing I won't have quite the speed advantage on Hard, making specialized weapons and abilities more impactful.
    [/spoiler]

Nope. Lightest weapons unless you aren't doubling anyways, in which case then you use a heavier weapon and consider using a skill to try and push it into 1HK territory.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    [/spoiler]

Nope. Lightest weapons unless you aren't doubling anyways, in which case then you use a heavier weapon and consider using a skill to try and push it into 1HK territory.

Some weapon arts are an exception here. Ferdinand is a monster because he gets swift strikes (attack twice before they counter).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    [/spoiler]

hmmm that sucks. Well I'm going to take a break anyways after this run. Hopefully they do some balancing to make the heavier/specialized weapons worth it.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    My prediction for how the plot of this game is gonna go (don't tell me if I'm right or not :P). I just wanted to write it down for posterity to see if I end up being right or how close I get :3
    So Sothis is basically the Naga of this universe. Seiros is her daughter, basically like a Mila. Sothis gives Nemesis the Sword of the Creator because she knows the dragons are gonna go crazy and it's basically Falchion. Sothis proceeds to go crazy and Nemesis is forced to "kill" her with the sword, which actually just seals her inside the sword's crest gem. This understandably pisses off Seiros who is also kinda insane at this point and she murders the shit out of him to get the sword/her mother back.

Cut to present day minus 21 years (yes, I dunno why the game tries to hide Byleth's age... she's clearly 21 pre-timeskip/26 post timeskip based on the date of her mother's death :P). Rhea is another dragon, maybe a second daughter of Sothis, or maybe Seiros's daughter, it's hard to say (hell, she could even be Seiros with some appearance alter-y magic that this game seems to love to use). She removes the crest stone from the Sword of the Creator and implants it into baby Byleth, or something like this, it's not 100% clear yet. Either way, the crest stone is Byleth's heart and why they have no heartbeat. Sothis is in there so the two are connected - likely this is some attempt to revive her by Rhea (probably with bad consequences for Byleth).

Then yada yada the rest of the game happens. Byleth has to kill crazy dragon Rhea and/or Sothis somehow, stuff happens.. I dunno :P The plot could go a lot of ways depending on the house you chose so not a lot of point in guessing that aspect. But I wanted to predict the dragon stuff cuz I assume it's consistent across all choices. Also I know you at least fight Rhea because Nintendo's fucking Acolades trailer was spoilery as hell... (seriously Nintendo, wtf? Why show post timeskip cutscenes?)

Edit:
    Rami wrote: »
    Higher strength offsets weapon weight for attack speed

This is why strength gains on mages is super valuable, those tomes are heavy and even with good speed you won't get doubles because they're too weak

Oh yeah, I was gonna say this. ^ Strength is important as hell due to weight. It might be more important than speed in this game since everything tends to be pretty heavy. Watch out for giving characters shields or heavy weapons unless they have the strength to use them well. If they *don't*, this is where combat arts can make up some of the difference at times :3 (since combat arts never double, so if you aren't doubling ANYWAYS, you aren't losing much besides durability)
    I'm hoping on Hard the weapons will have more meaning.

They definitely do. I hear normal is kinda a joke in comparison. I definitely find myself using many different types of weapons though depending on the character and situation.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited August 2019
    [/spoiler]

hmmm that sucks. Well I'm going to take a break anyways after this run. Hopefully they do some balancing to make the heavier/specialized weapons worth it.

On Normal specialized weapons + weapon skills should be able to be one shotting the things they are specialized against with a higher accuracy so they should still have uses. Not every skill or weapon is created equal in that regard though. Also with just some extra stats you should be doubling with those special weapons anyway.

I have stopped buying and using the Iron weapons entirely on normal because my guys double with the heavier weapons and that is with piles of unused stat items waiting around if that stops happening.

And if you have Silver weapons available those should be full stop replacements for the lower level stuff. And then Brave weapons are good for doubling before counter attack so they are also going to be superior. Crit weapons when you need that one big boom. Stuff like that. And then the uber weapons should all be pretty darn good too as long as you have the stats to back them up.

DemonStacey on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Are there major story differences in-route, depending on choices?

Because... [general Crimson Flower spoilers]
    I've seen a lot of people mention the Death Knight being around in Edelgard's route, but he's been totally absent for me (he showed up for a minute back in Chapter 12).

I'm on the last Chapter now, with no sign of him.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Are there major story differences in-route, depending on choices?

Because... [general Crimson Flower spoilers]
    I've seen a lot of people mention the Death Knight being around in Edelgard's route, but he's been totally absent for me (he showed up for a minute back in Chapter 12).

I'm on the last Chapter now, with no sign of him.
    I can't speak for the whole route yet but I have yet to see him post-timeskip. He is mentioned once in monastery convos. I'm not at the end of the route tho either.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    [/spoiler]

On Normal specialized weapons + weapon skills should be able to be one shotting the things they are specialized against with a higher accuracy so they should still have uses. Not every skill or weapon is created equal in that regard though. Also with just some extra stats you should be doubling with those special weapons anyway.

I have stopped buying and using the Iron weapons entirely on normal because my guys double with the heavier weapons and that is with piles of unused stat items waiting around if that stops happening.

And if you have Silver weapons available those should be full stop replacements for the lower level stuff. And then Brave weapons are good for doubling before counter attack so they are also going to be superior. Crit weapons when you need that one big boom. Stuff like that. And then the uber weapons should all be pretty darn good too as long as you have the stats to back them up.

idk, maybe I'm not paying attention but I can probably count the times I've had a 2x attack on an ability on one hand, if I've had it at all. So while using a rapier or brave weapon has usefulness since it increases my normal attack; abilities are almost always worse since they can't hit twice. Which for some units with high crit, means a ton less damage.

I was hoping Hard would keep my units more in check so every normal attack wasn't a 2x attack, which then abilities would have an advantage. It sounds like maybe that's the case but then it's countered by using Iron weapons all the time.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If Steel weapons are frowned upon due to weight, are Iron+ weapons the better general purpose type to outfit one's class?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I finally beat this game!

Golden Deer Spoiler Questions:
    Is Nader Claude's dad? I thought Judith was maybe his mother, especially with the rapport the two have, but apparently that's wrong.
    Lysithea ended up with Cyril cause I had her teach him how to read instead of bonding with Hanneman/Lindhart who could've probably lengthened her life. :(
    Leonie started a mercenary company with Shamir whose banner included a crude looking arachnid.
    Raphael and Marianne run a bar!
    Claude and Ingrid are a fun pairing.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    [/spoiler]

idk, maybe I'm not paying attention but I can probably count the times I've had a 2x attack on an ability on one hand, if I've had it at all. So while using a rapier or brave weapon has usefulness since it increases my normal attack; abilities are almost always worse since they can't hit twice. Which for some units with high crit, means a ton less damage.

I was hoping Hard would keep my units more in check so every normal attack wasn't a 2x attack, which then abilities would have an advantage. It sounds like maybe that's the case but then it's countered by using Iron weapons all the time.

I was saying if you use an ability with a strength and a weapon with a strength 1 hit at higher accuracy that 1-shots something is better than 2 hits at lower accuracy that will also kill the thing. And if 2 hits will not kill the thing 1 stronger hit with higher accuracy and bigger crit chance can be worth it since the crit will be 3X damage.

Many times you still want to use regular attacks(which I think is good because otherwise you would just always use skills and regular attacks would be pointless). But there are uses for various combat arts. And of course increased range arts and stat lowering arts exist. And then arts to break monsters. Some arts become fairly useless but what JRPG doesn't have a handful of skills that you don't need.

And weapon wise on normal the other weapons should be way more useful since the stats for needing to double should be lower. And why not be using Silver weapons? They are higher class weapons that are also light. There's a pretty big selection of different weapons that have various uses pending the situation and more importantly the character you are using them with.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Crimson Flower (ch 14-ish):
    I had the same issue. Except I answered "yes" since that was the mission. Then crap happens and it seemed like everyone knew the boss worked for this character before we even attacked. The whole Death Knight thing confused me as well, as in Part 1, it seems to work for the Flame Emperor (FE mentions he can borrow the DK). Yet in Part 2, the DK seems to work for the person "borrowing" it.

I think they really needed a bit more content for Part 2. They could have added a couple main missions with the sub plot, to slowly build up those characters and the threat they possess. It's understandable though, since they 4 different paths with content that Part 2 would be lacking.
    Yeah I still don't know who Rodrigue is allied with, I didn't know he was Edelgard's uncle, I don't know why he was upset that Cornelia got killed, I don't know if he's the one who blew up Arianrohdr. Just really poor communication about the whole situation. Oh, and there's some business about a church informant in our ranks? But Edelgard just throws that out there without any explanation or foreshadowing? For all the bond we seem to have in our support conversations, I still feel like she's keeping me in the dark about everything in the main plot.

This discussion has been closed.