As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Can we sell ships yet?

I didn't see it in the patch notes, but then I skimmed parts of it so

JtgVX0H.png
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    VULKAN On PC, OpenGL has been replaced by the Vulkan API, improving performance across the board, especially for users on AMD cards, or with older CPUs.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmdasgood

Nice!

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    So I passed on this game when it first came out. I did enjoy watching some Youtube Let's Play stuff, to get a feel for the game and kill some time. But I never felt like I wanted to actually play the game.

Fast forward to last week, and I read the news about this update and the other updates that came before. Maybe I do want to play.
    Steam had the game at 50% off, so I went ahead and picked it up.

I think my laptop can just barely play the game.. it's super sluggish. I'm sure the people who put videos on Youtube are using fancier gaming machines, but goodness the movement is so much more fluid than what I see.
    It's still possible to play, and I'm having fun running around digging stuff up and scanning/shooting flora/fauna. But it's a struggle at times.

I did read some stuff about fixes to make things better, and things improved from "this is terrible, I can't move" to "this is bearable, I'll try this".

I've got an Inspirion 15 5000, with i7 processor and Intel UHD 620.

I'm probably on the low end of the requirements? Or hopefully there are some additional tweaks I can make to improve things?

I'm currently running around the starter system, exploring planets that are trying to kill me. First was a Radioactive planet, then a Toxic one, then a Frozen one... finally a Paradise one where the weather is good.. but the local fauna wants to eat me.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The patch notes for the version dropping today specifically mention making things better for low-end systems, even more specifically for intel onboard graphics!

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    wow that is some good patch notes, more then I would of guessed and some sick stuff....can't wait to try to the VR. Seems they went all out.

The only thing I could of prob asked for was more ship parts, but seems they added new worlds so I can't complain. They also retextured everything and size scale of ships, so that is pretty sick.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm tremendously impressed by all the changes and fixes and upgrades they've made to the game over the years, and I'm excited to try some of these new things out (like less interruptions from sentinels when mining, bigger storage, and auto-resource gathering, because I found that stuff to be a constant irritation that eventually made me put the game down). At the same time, I feel a certain melancholy longing for the game as it was at launch: a nomad exploring a nearly-depopulated galaxy.

The notes talk about new NPCs that have been added, and previous updates fleshed space stations out into hubs with multiple vendor-type NPCs and multiple just-lounging-about NPCs, but man, I remember going into a space station in the early days and seeing just one or two weirdos in there and really feeling that vast scale of things. Seeing this one lone person keeping their post in the solar system made me feel more alone than if the game had no NPCs at all, weirdly. They were alone in this system before I arrived; when I leave, they will be alone again. For a few brief moments, they can sit at their space-desk knowing that somewhere out there, somewhere on a planet nearby, there is one other sentient being.

I wouldn't want them to roll back their changes or anything, and I don't think that either of these two game-experiences and game-moods is inherently better than the other, but man, I feel like NMS-at-launch provided such a unique, melancholy mood - a mood that I haven't really found in other games.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Oh my god. Oh my fucking god, I don't care about anything else in the patch. Well, I do but jesus, this:
    Technology can now be moved after installation.

Lawdy lawdy lawdy what a beautiful day!

EDIT: And to a lesser, but still happy degree:
    Added the option to remove button holds and make all non-destructive clicks instant.

EDIT2: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    In normal mode, increased the slot storage limit for substances from 250 to 10,000.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    This all sounds pretty great, but I sure do hope current games are not so terribly broken as with previous updates. Even a streamlined game will surely still take 20+ hours to get back to where I was, and that's far too long, so fingers crossed that my save is salvageable. Even if not I can took around a bit in creative I guess.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Campy wrote: »
    The patch notes for the version dropping today specifically mention making things better for low-end systems, even more specifically for intel onboard graphics!

I hope to have improved performance; because a lot of my problems aren't bad hardware, they're a bad engine. The game didn't correctly utilize multiple threads, and even manually assigning them didn't solve all the problems; there were settings you could add/change in the files that you couldn't in the game, quality/detail levels of various settings didn't result in expected performance changes in-game (for instance, turning off tessilation resulted in a universal performance decrease for me, which doesn't make any sense, but all I can figure is something in the engine is hard coded to need it, and without it shits itself), and so on. When the game ran the way you'd expect, it was a beauty; but it would all go to absolute sub-PS4 level garbage at the drop of a hat, and result in things getting frustrating quick. Yeah, I've only got a 980, but I have settings to account for that, but the game still chugs when it absolutely shouldn't be, and there were some pretty distinctly obvious memory leaks where my performance would be silky smooth as long as I loaded into a planet with a newly loaded game, but if I went to additional planets things would just stutter and crawl, even in locations that had just been running smooth. Since I got the PC version during the last sale (I used to play on PS4 which always had bad, but consistently bad, performance; way less of a roller coaster than the PC version) I've spent nearly as much time fiddling with graphics and file settings as I have just playing.

edited August 2019
    Septus wrote: »
    This all sounds pretty great, but I sure do hope current games are not so terribly broken as with previous updates. Even a streamlined game will surely still take 20+ hours to get back to where I was, and that's far too long, so fingers crossed that my save is salvageable. Even if not I can took around a bit in creative I guess.

Murray tweeted that they're absolutely not doing another universe/planet refresh this time; and from reading the patch notes, it doesn't seem like many of the additions or changes (other than the landing pad thing that they pointed out will effect things so they refunded them at bases) should effect immediate players stuff. It'll probably just change the way NPC's are behaving at nearby outposts/stations probably.

I suspect there will be some significant unmentioned economy changes; as Murray said in a recent interview he didn't like how players would figure out that "best" way to just produce endless credits and then find themselves bored subsequently. I don't know if that means tinkering with the way markets go up and down, but I think on some level that will probably change. I just won't be surprised if suddenly you can't get ultra rich with a bunch of inventory slots and weapon components, and nothing else.

However, his comments also were referring more specifically to wanting to make the "end game" not about affording the most expensive thing, but creating your own fully functional base, where the features of the base are actually productive and not decorative, so making power generation, farming, cooking, etc, matter more in various aspects of gameplay.

The only thing I don't see in the notes that I was really hoping for was ship customization. Maybe next time I guess, but I was really hoping that with the movement for more player freedom and control that'd mean less reliance on completely random ships that you can't change any feature of; when your ship is such an important part of your experience. It seems like something that should have been top of the list of things to create more player immersion.

The Dude With Herpes on

Hmmm...PS4 has the update, still nothing on Steam. Anyone have their Steam version update yet?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    So I passed on this game when it first came out. I did enjoy watching some Youtube Let's Play stuff, to get a feel for the game and kill some time. But I never felt like I wanted to actually play the game.

Fast forward to last week, and I read the news about this update and the other updates that came before. Maybe I do want to play.

I think my laptop can just barely play the game.. it's super sluggish. I'm sure the people who put videos on Youtube are using fancier gaming machines, but goodness the movement is so much more fluid than what I see.
    It's still possible to play, and I'm having fun running around digging stuff up and scanning/shooting flora/fauna. But it's a struggle at times.

I did read some stuff about fixes to make things better, and things improved from "this is terrible, I can't move" to "this is bearable, I'll try this".

I'm probably on the low end of the requirements? Or hopefully there are some additional tweaks I can make to improve things?

I'm currently running around the starter system, exploring planets that are trying to kill me. First was a Radioactive planet, then a Toxic one, then a Frozen one... finally a Paradise one where the weather is good.. but the local fauna wants to eat me.

You've got an integrated graphics card, so you're lucky you can run the game at all, to be honest.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Hmmm...PS4 has the update, still nothing on Steam. Anyone have their Steam version update yet?

It just dropped on GOG, so I figure the Steam version should be close behind.

Also, I like that inventory slots went from holding 250 each to 10,000 each

JtgVX0H.png
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Everyone on my twitter feed talking about chairs in the patch notes but passing this up:
    Fixed an issue where creatures would never poop once they had been scared by a predator.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Man that fucking inventory change holy shit. Definitely started the patch on my PS4 and will hop on tonight.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited August 2019
    furlion wrote: »
    Man that fucking inventory change holy shit. Definitely started the patch on my PS4 and will hop on tonight.

Seriously, it's a 40x increase PER FUCKING SLOT. That's ludicrous in the best possible way

edit: I don't know if that is only for personal inventory, or if the inventory slots for things such as your cargo slots, ship, freighter, or storage boxes have changed too. I'll have to wait until the update drops on Steam to find out.

editedit: also, survival mode might not have the increased inventory slots? I dunno, I never played survival to begin with so someone else will have to confirm/deny that.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

Seriously, it's a 40x increase PER FUCKING SLOT. That's ludicrous in the best possible way

edit: I don't know if that is only for personal inventory, or if the inventory slots for things such as your cargo slots, ship, freighter, or storage boxes have changed too. I'll have to wait until the update drops on Steam to find out.

Either way, I'd be fine.

But also, if they do that and ship/cargo/freighter inventory is still relatively low, that'd be odd; but there was no mention.

Man days like today I'd pay cashmoney for NMS to be on Switch. I guess I'll just read about changes as people discover them until I can check it out tonight.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Does it still cost 25% of your fuel to launch a ship? I recall that feeling VERY limiting during the short time I played the game when it first came out.

vamen wrote: »
    Does it still cost 25% of your fuel to launch a ship? I recall that feeling VERY limiting during the short time I played the game when it first came out.

There was a mod that reduced the cost by 20% or something (effectively it meant it was 20% per takeoff), but iirc it was only on ships you could acquire, not a mod you could build yourself.

However, patch notes says there's a tech for ships that will refill launch fuel over time, so that should help too.

And on survival/permadeath, takeoff was like the whole tank iirc. Suuuuucked, and really killed (imo) the feeling of freedom in an infinite universe.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I found a mod that had a discount in several different magnitudes. I picked the "make it cost 10%" one at first, but I think I eventually made it free - jumping into a ship and then going somewhere is a big part of my NMS Fantasy Experience, and it was extremely frustrating to every once in a while be told "Actually you can't play the game you want to play right now, you need to do some homework first".

If there's an in-game thing that can alleviate this, I'm all for it - even if it takes some work to grind up to it.

Yea, that is why I didn't like it. It felt like it limited my freedom.
    Something to regen it over time is nice, though.

Thanks!

edited August 2019

I don't know if they changed the cost of launching your ship, though there was a tech you could get that would lower that, and I want to say that higher tier ships (like an s-class explorer, for example) would also lower the cost of it? Regardless, there is a new tech you can build that will slowly refill your launch thrusters so you can never completely run out and be stranded somewhere.

edit: also, launch fuel stops becoming a real issue about midway through the game anyways since the resources to craft it become much easier to come by and stockpiles of them are possible.

editedit: and I'm super slow in responding lol, just ignore me :rotate:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Still no steam launch eh? I guess this gives me a reason to not be lazy and go gym and run errands before doing this all day.

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I wish you could play cross platform. That way I could loan my PSVR to my buddy and use my Index on my PC!

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Still no steam launch eh? I guess this gives me a reason to not be lazy and go gym and run errands before doing this all day.

It's live on Steam, go go go!

JtgVX0H.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I've only tooled around with it for 20 minutes so far but the vr is great on my cv1 so far

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »

You've got an integrated graphics card, so you're lucky you can run the game at all, to be honest.

Yeah, I kind of figured that when I was reading all the "fixes" on various web pages. They all kept talking about Nvidia this and Radeon that. Not very many mentions of Intel integrated cards. Figured that was a bad sign :) .

But good to hear that this Update has some specific things for Intel integrated cards. Hopefully the download isn't as goofy slow as it was when I installed the game. Took hours to download off Steam.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    looks like my starting ship is on a plateau that's un-summitable in VR :bigfrown:

should i cv swap control schemes, restart or keep at it?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    looks like my starting ship is on a plateau that's un-summitable in VR :bigfrown:

I'd try using smooth movement instead of teleport (unless you already are) i'm finding smooth way better overall. But i hate teleportation in most vr games

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    Oy, just reading about the patch stuff makes me think I'll just wait till next week and a few hotfixes before trying. Sounds like a lot of crashing

Also sounds like from people with similar hardware as me, that the switch to Vulcan and lod changes have the game running, and looking worse.

That's not encouraging, as I was really hoping for some fixes to performance issues that really shouldn't exist in the first place. NMS can be pretty, but doesn't come close to justify it's poor performance on PC. Though apparently non-vr PS4 performance sounds like it improved....so maybe I'll just end up back there. :rotate:

bsjezz wrote: »

I'd try using smooth movement instead of teleport (unless you already are) i'm finding smooth way better overall. But i hate teleportation in most vr games

yeah i swapped to running and it's not too bad. takes a minute to figure out the jetpack and sprinting, but i got to my ship!

PS4 VR is ugly, but it reminds me a bit of that first version of the game. colour palettes are definitely more interesting than next.

i had a thrilling time! but now i need a coffee

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Holy cow, Biofuel reactors are ridiculously inefficient. 1200 Oxygen just to get a 40 minute charge. Time to farm up tech bits for solar panels.

Donnicton wrote: »
    Holy cow, Biofuel reactors are ridiculously inefficient. 1200 Oxygen just to get a 40 minute charge. Time to farm up tech bits for solar panels.

love the social conscience :lol:

this was my first VR vista. certainly not as impressive in 2D. but it was a beautiful moment. somehow, this game can still move me like no other...

ysaYKwf.jpg

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    VR changes the entire feel of this game, unholy fuck is it cool.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Loaded things up.

Hmm... looks like I need to start gathering salvaged tech again to learn power stuff.

-edit-

Also some of my launch pads seem to have moved in weird ways. Time to get to work.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    This is making me want to look into buying VR. I don't even know what's out there, but it seems like it'd be pretty cool.

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    So is this game along the lines of Subnautica? I lobe Subnautica but passed on this. I like exploring games like Minecraft and Subnautica. This worth $19-20 bucks?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Loaded things up.

Hmm... looks like I need to start gathering salvaged tech again to learn power stuff.

-edit-

Also some of my launch pads seem to have moved in weird ways. Time to get to work.

They enlarged the launch pad because.... reasons? Which caused any other launchpads that were too close to get repositioned or eaten.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So is this game along the lines of Subnautica? I lobe Subnautica but passed on this. I like exploring games like Minecraft and Subnautica. This worth $19-20 bucks?

It is now pretty similar yeah. At launch it was definitely not but now they have added a ton of stuff that make it much more explore and build instead of just be bored.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion