As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more the guy sounds like a narcissist. Just the right amount of charm to wedge himself into any social gathering, but without a single thought given to the feelings of anyone but himself. The fact that 2 of your players would just walk away from your table, because he told them to is a bad sign. The longer you let him enter your house, the likelier it'll get that he will convince other players to leave your game. Narcissistic people don't handle rejection well and will manipulate others to get what they want.

my other players hate him and want him gone as soon as possible

Then, as much you are not looking forwards to doing it..... you know what you gotta do.

First, select your d20.

And then, select the asshole.

I have that DVD

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more the guy sounds like a narcissist. Just the right amount of charm to wedge himself into any social gathering, but without a single thought given to the feelings of anyone but himself. The fact that 2 of your players would just walk away from your table, because he told them to is a bad sign. The longer you let him enter your house, the likelier it'll get that he will convince other players to leave your game. Narcissistic people don't handle rejection well and will manipulate others to get what they want.

my other players hate him and want him gone as soon as possible

Then, as much you are not looking forwards to doing it..... you know what you gotta do.

First, select your d20.

And then, select the asshole.

I have that DVD

And I no longer use that d20.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I just got out of a session where we were playing Sunless Citadel. We had passed a section with about ten goblins by sneaking, despite the fact I had wanted to take out the goblins. We soon after got chased down by a shadow and fled to town to recuperate.

When we returned the next day we discovered that the shadow had killed the ten goblins and generated ten more shadows. I got Protection from Evil and Good cast on me so I could lure them out while another PC used Sacred Flame, but the spell didn't protect me as well as I thought it would.

The shadows eventually killed the kobolds in the Citadel as well, bringing the total to thirty-two. I was at least resurrected via Wish in Waterdeep (thanks to some super powerful NPC), but the town near the Sunless Citadel is probably fucked.

Hexmage-PA on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Undead that create more of themselves tend to ruin my suspension of disbelief. If the shadows multiply that fast, the whole world should be overrun with them in like a month.

Fry on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Undead that create more of themselves tend to ruin my suspension of disbelief. If the shadows multiply that fast, the whole world should be overrun with them in like a month.

I was surprised when I checked. In 5e shadows only raise non-evil folks they kill. That's to prevent exactly that situation but oh boy does that feel random and super gamey.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    I had always assumed that the dead only arose as shadows if they died by having their Strength score reduced to zero. Rereading the statblock I see I was wrong, but it would keep the number of shadows down to a reasonable level - only the very weakest would hit zero Strength before they hit zero HP.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    shadows also stay away from the light and, in general, only muck about in creepy evil areas where normies dont go

override367 on
    So I'm thinking of converting a short 4E adventure to to 5E for a one-shot. Any suggestions, 4E people? Any level is fine.

So far I'm considering The Slaying Stone, the demonic maze section of Thunderspire Labyrinth, and Domain of Dread: Histaven. I thought about converting Lord of the White Field but decided against it since I just ran an undead heavy campaign.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of converting a short 4E adventure to to 5E for a one-shot. Any suggestions, 4E people? Any level is fine.

So far I'm considering The Slaying Stone, the demonic maze section of Thunderspire Labyrinth, and Domain of Dread: Histaven. I thought about converting Lord of the White Field but decided against it since I just ran an undead heavy campaign.

If you're looking for suggestions of a 4e adventure to borrow, there's a metric shit ton of them here: http://www.livingforgottenrealms.com/

You can pretty much just swap the monsters for their 5th equivalent, maybe bump a level here or there, and go from there.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Friday marks the possibly permanent end to playing a cleric of a tempest god because I'll be out of town for most of the year. Also, the end of Mines of Phandelver and that group until winter. The last thing we have to do is talk to the Black Spider to see what his deal is since the GM seems to have rewritten him to be kind of grey and confirm if we should leave him alone or kill him after making a kind of amicable deal with him that let both of our parties save face and not murder each other. All dwarves were saved, we are not getting the full reward because we wouldn't kill the guy, and I'm going to go hug my estranged brother then go off to rescue the genasi bard's sister.

Best DnD campaign I have had so far.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Tuesday came and went, and my party spent pretty much the whole session in the same fight they were in last time; an aboleth and it's Chuul goons versus my 7 man party that consists of:
    Drow wizard
    Hobgoblin wizard
    Dwarf fighter wizard
    dwarf barbarian
    Wood elf rogue
    Halfing rogue
    Half elf bard.

I knew that a bunch of my players were newish and my goal here wasn't to just body them so much as it was to make the fight interesting, so I tended for actions that tended to mess with the players rather then simply damage them, which fortunately the aboleth was more then capable of doing with it's lair actions and legendary actions, both of which I went easy on so as to avoid obliterating them.

So for the most part I aimed to mess with the players more then outright kill them; the hobgoblin got MC'd real quick (why would a wizard ever need good wisdom m i rit?) which lead to multiple players being lightning bolted and the canoe getting set on fire, the aboleth made players waste time swimming by dragging them into the water with lair actions, and people were sporadically targetted with tentacles, with the barbarian failing multiple con saves which led to him developing an aversion to air.

Things are looking pretty grim for the players, but as a good GM I'm angling for what the aboleth would want atm as opposed to what a generic monster would do, and at the moment, the aboleth wants servants more then corpses, so it's perfectly willing to keep circling in the muck while the players are camped out on a tiny island in the under dark; I had it telpathically messaging the players offering to make a deal.

with luck I can get that resolved next week :)

Also: having a table at a public location with new players coming and going on a regular basis has led to me excercising a plethora of ways in which the party gains additional members; so far halaster has sent them in via water bubbles, sneezing them out of his nose, throwing them through a portal saying "it's dangerous to go alone take this", and having one emerge from a giant clam on a beach :P

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I can never think of aboleths without thinking of this. Or of them having that voice.

edited August 2019
    Oh also: if you want to make your game extra fun, add what I call The warhead rule:

First, buy a bag of warhead candies, preferably the sour ones because nobody should be sadistic enough to try this with the hot ones.
    Second, clarify that going forward for everyone who agree's to the rule that a roll of a 1 means the roller has to take a candy. On a roll of a 20 they can nominate another participant to take it.

Gaddez on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Oh also: if you want to make your game extra fun, add what I call The warhead rule:

First, buy a bag of warhead candies, preferably the sour ones because nobody should be sadistic enough to try this with the hot ones.
    Second, clarify that going forward for everyone who agree's to the rule that a roll of a twenty means the roller has to take a candy. On a roll of a 20 they can nominate another participant to take it.

My Murder Hubbies group does this! On a 20 or a 1, we have to grab one of those Harry Potter mystery flavour candies. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It has nothing to do with the story, just the dice.

Steelhawk on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Second, clarify that going forward for everyone who agree's to the rule that a roll of a twenty means the roller has to take a candy. On a roll of a 20 they can nominate another participant to take it.

My Murder Hubbies group does this! On a 20 or a 1, we have to grab one of those Harry Potter mystery flavour candies. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It has nothing to do with the story, just the dice.

I didn’t write that what happened

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I didn’t write that what happened

Yeah. I don't know. I hit the quote button and everything seemed ok. I didn't notice it until reading your post. Maybe I had something in drafts?

I'll edit it now.

Steelhawk on
    edited August 2019
    There's a new Unearthed Arcana out, and this time it isn't an Artificer! Instead there's an Astral Monk and a...Wild Surge Barbarian???

UA - Wild/Astral

This Barbarian really amuses me. Basically whenever you enter your rage one of eight possible wild surges triggers (determined randomly). You might unleash a blast of in necrotic energy and gain temp HP equal to the damage dealt, you might gain the ability to teleport 20 feet as a bonus action during the rage, and you might even summon four exploding flumphs!

Hexmage-PA on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I like the isea of the wild barbarian (didnt bother to check whether or not its OP). The Monk though... 6 attacks/round with no (beside initial) ki usage? Uhhh what?

wbBv3fj.png
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Could you show your work on 6 attacks per round? Especially with regard to what character level you’re looking at and how it compares to monks’ existing ability to pummel.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Could you show your work on 6 attacks per round? Especially with regard to what character level you’re looking at and how it compares to monks’ existing ability to pummel.

17th level spend 3ki get your full astral self take attack action for 3 attacks use a bonus action for 3 more attacks.

Sleep wrote: »

17th level spend 3ki get your full astral self take attack action for 3 attacks use a bonus action for 3 more attacks.

The pdf say 10 ki?

Which might be an issue if knocking somebody out didn't give you back (probably) 5 ki. You do "waste" a round with only 3 attacks while setting this up since turning it on takes a bonus action.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The 17th level astral form takes 10 ki, and 17th level characters are supposed to be absurd. This also has to account for features of other Ways that aren’t available to Astral monks, so I really don’t see the problem with it. Not to mention that the 17th-level features are kind of like Planeswalker ultimates in MtG: flavorful but only rarely relevant to most games.

Ha totally missed the ki cost increase on the first skim.

• AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    The level 6 Barbarian feature is pretty obviously missing a rest restriction - they tried to replace it with an HP cost, but apparently missed (??) the fairly basic problem that taking damage to restore spell slots isn't really a cost when there are spells that restore HP. The upshot is that any party with a healer (especially a druid, because Healing Spirit) and a Wild Barb has infinite spells - whoops.

Abbalah wrote: »
    The level 6 Barbarian feature is pretty obviously missing a rest restriction - they tried to replace it with an HP cost, but apparently missed (??) the fairly basic problem that taking damage to restore spell slots isn't really a cost when there are spells that restore HP. The upshot is that any party with a healer (especially a druid, because Healing Spirit) and a Wild Barb has infinite spells - whoops.

Yeah that ability is just immediately bonkers.

UA gets a pretty solid ban at my table; I'm sure the turbo barista or sentient b'day is really cool and all but until it gets printed in a proper source book it might as well not exist.

I think that's mostly on Healing Spirit though. In general the loop is just going to end up, on average, netting nothing to losing a bit of HP. Until you get to Heal the exchange rate is about right? Nailing the six before you keel over could be an issue and just makes it bad because of this complex dice rolling mini game it is introducing.

• AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular

I think that's mostly on Healing Spirit though. In general the loop is just going to end up, on average, netting nothing to losing a bit of HP. Until you get to Heal the exchange rate is about right? Nailing the six before you keel over could be an issue and just makes it bad because of this complex dice rolling mini game it is introducing.

Nah, Aura of Vitality and Prayer of Healing have the same problem (and life cleric+goodberry, and so on). Even the basic Cure Wounds has it, although the margins are smaller - Getting a spell slot of level X back costs 5X HP, and Cure Wounds restores 5X+Y where Y is the caster's spell mod (at level 6, likely 4) - you basically net an average of Y HP on each loop, and it only takes 2-3Y to pay for a 'free' spell slot.

Shepard druid and healing word and that ability is also infinite party healing.

Nah, Aura of Vitality and Prayer of Healing have the same problem (and life cleric+goodberry, and so on). Even the basic Cure Wounds has it, although the margins are smaller - Getting a spell slot of level X back costs 5X HP, and Cure Wounds restores 5X+Y where Y is the caster's spell mod (at level 6, likely 4) - you basically net an average of Y HP on each loop, and it only takes 2-3Y to pay for a 'free' spell slot.

The margin is actually 5x-.5+Y, which combined with variablity since X is a die roll all favors the house. There is the additional complication that you need a spell slot empty or you just give some bogus temp HP, not useful. That's all what I meant about the mini game stuff which is bad just because of the time at the table it will consume. Though Aura and Prayer change that math a bit.

That just completely breaks it though. WTF is that Unicorn aura. That is so so so a bad idea.

Level 1 -> 2 attacks (ki form plus bonus action, 3 with flurry). Level 5: 3 attacks (4 with flurry). Level 11 4 attacks (ki form gives 2 attacks as bonus). Level 17 6 attacks(ki form gives 3, bonus action gives another 3). Or 5(ki form 2, bonus action 3)

Now this may require a bonus action at the start of a fight but it may not. The form lasts 10 minutes so it isnt that hard to put it up before a fight(especially the cheap version) given that you will significantly resuce ki expenditure during the fight as a result.

wbBv3fj.png

The margin is actually 5x-.5+Y, which combined with variablity since X is a die roll all favors the house. There is the additional complication that you need a spell slot empty or you just give some bogus temp HP, not useful. That's all what I meant about the mini game stuff which is bad just because of the time at the table it will consume. Though Aura and Prayer change that math a bit.

That just completely breaks it though. WTF is that Unicorn aura. That is so so so a bad idea.

Honestly it's actually kinda dope I have a player running one right now, they're currently partnered up with a bunch of gith raiding a mindflayer colony, I can just fuckin pour damage into the party like crazy and mostly not worry about killing them on my end, so long as I don't instant death anyone, the druid can probably handle it (he's also very much been making my case as to why I have an only 1 druid max in a party rule).

We railed through 3 encounters last night with the party and 4 gith warriors working together. Tearing through mindflayer, mindflayer arcanists, alhoon, and a bunch of thrall carrying mind blades. Also just hit em with a couple of extra mind blasts as traps via the shields of far sight (also showing the party how to quickly destroy them). The druid is finally, mostly tapped, though his 4 giant wasps are still up and stinging. Rest of the party is basically totally fresh. The next fight is gonna be 1 halfling thug in mind carapace full plate with a mind blade longsword along side 8 halfling tribal warriors in mind carapace chain with mind blade short swords, 4 carrying the shields of far sight. The party will explicitly not want to kill these particular halflings, so they can't just shatter em. I expect someone to get dropped to the deck. The fight after that it's going to be 7 alhoon, 6 of which are blinded because the shields they created have all been destroyed, once they kill the one with vision the colony is blinded and the game goes to cleanup mode rather quickly. That's going to have been one day of combat, mostly because the druid kept everyone including all the NPC help tip top for the first half of the dungeon with that ability. Not even a short rest just a frickin blitzkrieg assault clearing through this desolate mindflayer colony military style with various gith. It's just totally fuckin off any of the math, but it lets you get away with weird crazy shit.

edited August 2019
    So here's something interesting: An unofficial 5E video game.

It looks good, and the focus on lighting and vertical space as tactical elements is interesting, but I feel like these guys are pressing their luck.

Hexmage-PA on
    Speaking of lighting, does anyone here keep track of it? If so, how? I like the idea of players having to worry about lighting during combat and figuring out where to set a lantern or who is holding a torch or if light is being cast, but so far I and everyone I've played with have ignored lighting.

Pretty much like if you don't got dark vision then you need a lantern. Dark vision people are good to go. This and past games have treated the lantern like they hang it on you so you don't have to one hand a lantern.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Pretty much like if you don't got dark vision then you need a lantern. Dark vision people are good to go. This and past games have treated the lantern like they hang it on you so you don't have to one hand a lantern.

yea, having a wizard cast light on the fighters sword is a popular strategy at our table. The can then decide how far out to unsheathe it to cast an amount of light, from fully out to dim to torch level.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Last session...wasnt so great. I had a bad day and was just not feeling it. So I barely played, people barely interacted with me.

Blah

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    So here's something interesting: An unofficial 5E video game.

It looks good, and the focus on lighting and vertical space as tactical elements is interesting, but I feel like these guys are pressing their luck.

its SRD, you can make whatever you want with SRD

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Speaking of lighting, does anyone here keep track of it? If so, how? I like the idea of players having to worry about lighting during combat and figuring out where to set a lantern or who is holding a torch or if light is being cast, but so far I and everyone I've played with have ignored lighting.
    Tracking lighting when you have a party of mixed sight types can get real fiddly real quick. It's a fun resource to manage, but you need to be ready to put in extra work, which is why I imagine many people don't.

Sight and awareness in general are kind of... fluid in D&D. Not sure about 5E, but in 4E, as written, unless a target is Hidden (out of line of sight and has succeeded their Stealth check) everyone is aware of their location. Good luck setting up ambushes, or have new people enter the combat mid-battle without explaining how that armoured group managed to remain hidden against your Perception 24 character.

edited August 2019
    In 5e you must have cover or concealment to hide and you must maintain that in order to be hidden. Otherwise everyone is, by default, aware of anything else. However perception is soft capped and there are still penalties/bonuses for range. And so a listen detecton range makes sense

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.