As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I long ago got in the mindset with WoW that MMORPG levels don't mean anything about in-story relative strength, and are just a gameplay contrivance to provide a sense of player progression. I think that's the easiest way to swallow that, for example, Zenos can beat you up, or that there's hordes of wild animals roaming the world that are still a threat to you at level 70 or whatever and people who aren't legendary warriors still live here like they won't be savagely instantly murdered by a rabbit the moment they step outside the town gates.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think that....
    it's exactly because Myste's actions are what the WoL desires makes it horrifying. He is the WoL's guilt and grief made flesh, so I can't really buy into the idea that because those feelings now have their own agency in the world that the WoL should automatically see them for what they are and deny them. Again, Myste, like Fray, is a weak form of summoning. Myste is exactly what the WoL desires at that time - a way to ease their own suffering by tending to the suffering of others in a way that, as the WoL, they're incapable of doing.

And, it's necessary for Myste's actions to fail, painfully, for the WoL to realize their selfishness and arrogance.

So, yeah... "why didn't we try to stop it at level 65 or 67" is the entire point. The WoL didn't want to stop it. And I'm fine with it (from a literary POV) because it makes the WoL a character rather than just the player's puppet.

Just as a forewarning, Shadowbringers' MSQ is primarily written by the DRK quest line writer. And it continues, however slightly, down the path of making the WoL more than a mere avatar. It's also fucking amazing, with one of the best antagonists Final Fantasy on the whole has ever seen. They're the anti-Zenos, IMO.

Nightslyr on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    This is pretty much what i meant.
    We really are not seeing this at similar levels of horrifying, or stupid.
    Like, short of strapping an innocent on a table and torturing them, or raping someone, violating their mind without a bloody good reason (and/or consent) is among the worst things i can think of.
    And this idea of "let's just replace everyone with illusions" is so fucking moronic.

There's also the blank slate thing.
    for most of the story, WoL is our avatar, a blank slate for us to project ourselves, and this is true for most job quests.
    Now suddenly, one job decides that you are arrogant, selfish, and stupid monster.
    If you like that, great, my reaction is more of a "well, fuck you too" towards the writers.

And, as i said, it really also depends on how much you buy into this grief over those not saved.

Also, as a clarification that seems might be necessary.
    I do think that the intent was for WoL to grow stronger over the expansion.
    I just also think that the story failts utterly at showing it.
    And will completely fuck it up next expansion when we are suddenly swarmed with enemies we can't defeat.
    Because somehow the world is divided into neat little zones and nobody leaves theirs to live in one of the zones where they would be basicly a godlike being relative to everyone else.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Like, short of strapping an innocent on a table and torturing them, or raping someone, violating their mind without a bloody good reason (and/or consent) is among the worst things i can think of.
    And this idea of "let's just replace everyone with illusions" is so fucking moronic.

for most of the story, WoL is our avatar, a blank slate for us to project ourselves, and this is true for most job quests.
    Now suddenly, one job decides that you are arrogant, selfish, and stupid monster.
    If you like that, great, my reaction is more of a "well, fuck you too" towards the writers.

And, as i said, it really also depends on how much you buy into this grief over those not saved.

And will completely fuck it up next expansion when we are suddenly swarmed with enemies we can't defeat.
    Because somehow the world is divided into neat little zones and nobody leaves theirs to live in one of the zones where they would be basicly a godlike being relative to everyone else.

So you mean its a videogame.

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle wrote: »

So you mean its a videogame.
    I'm not sure about your point.
    Videogames, even with levels and zones, can have consistent story and character power levels.
    That the game is so bad at these is not just "well it's a game", it's an actual flaw in the game.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Numi wrote: »
    Honestly they should really just stop removing abilities when you get down-sync'ed for roulettes since the way your gear gets sync'ed down already moderates your power. But then I'm also one of those crazies that think leveling dungeons should have a min ilvl req on them.

I really don't like that idea, unless it's perfectly balanced,* it could lead to higher level players doing more damage than players at-level and I'm opposed to anything that could lead to shithead players kicking out new players from their leveling content. Even though that would be against Square's ToS and they would face consequences if reported, it's still not a good look.

Heck, even if it were perfectly balanced, if the perception is there it could still lead to abuse.

min ilvl is fine enough on the surface, but it would be a change I'd only want to have implemented on dungeons 49+, maybe 38-41 (so Cutter's Cry or Stone Vigil), but it needs to also be a min setting that's easily gained from natural msq rewards. Making it a number that requires players to spend too much time specifically on gaining gear levels over just playing the leveling story could lead to burnout or dissatisfaction.

steam_sig.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly they should really just stop removing abilities when you get down-sync'ed for roulettes since the way your gear gets sync'ed down already moderates your power. But then I'm also one of those crazies that think leveling dungeons should have a min ilvl req on them.

I really don't like that idea, unless it's perfectly balanced,* it could lead to higher level players doing more damage than players at-level and I'm opposed to anything that could lead to shithead players kicking out new players from their leveling content. Even though that would be against Square's ToS and they would face consequences if reported, it's still not a good look.

Heck, even if it were perfectly balanced, if the perception is there it could still lead to abuse.

min ilvl is fine enough on the surface, but it would be a change I'd only want to have implemented on dungeons 49+, maybe 38-41 (so Cutter's Cry or Stone Vigil), but it needs to also be a min setting that's easily gained from natural msq rewards. Making it a number that requires players to spend too much time specifically on gaining gear levels over just playing the leveling story could lead to burnout or dissatisfaction.

I bet you could set the ilvl requirement so anyone running through the MSQ (i.e. new players) would be nearly guaranteed to hit it, so it would only lock out players leveling alts while not bothering to gear them at all. Which my guess is is the most common type of garbage-geared dungeon runner.

Of course that'd suck for new players that leveled one class to 30-40 and then burned out and started over.

also I say that as someone who was ilvl 30 on my AST in lvl47 dungeons. >.>

• NumiNumi Registered User regular

I do get your point and even agree with it somewhat but the balance in most low level dungeons is can be pretty wonky already partly due to jobs that start at a higher level. But I wouldn't mind seeing some actions being unaffected by the level sync though, like for example if WHM got holy for all stuff or BRD having iron jaws.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

I do get your point and even agree with it somewhat but the balance in most low level dungeons is can be pretty wonky already partly due to jobs that start at a higher level. But I wouldn't mind seeing some actions being unaffected by the level sync though, like for example if WHM got holy for all stuff or BRD having iron jaws.

Being an AST in low level content and not being able to draw cards has always felt a little silly.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    70 in everything.

I guess it's time for me to finish stormblood eh?

I liked how in Stormblood dungeons you are guaranteed one item drop for your job.
    They should do that for earlier dungeons as well, because main problem with levelling new jobs through dungeons for me is is that i generally just am not getting gear fast enough to keep up.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I liked how in Stormblood dungeons you are guaranteed one item drop for your job.
    They should do that for earlier dungeons as well, because main problem with levelling new jobs through dungeons for me is is that i generally just am not getting gear fast enough to keep up.

It's also the case for the leveling dungeons in Heavensward and Shadowbringers.

There aren't really sets in most ARR dungeons, so they didn't do it there. I wish they'd apply it to the level cap dungeons too though for people wanting to farm up glamours.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

There aren't really sets in most ARR dungeons, so they didn't do it there. I wish they'd apply it to the level cap dungeons too though for people wanting to farm up glamours.

I don't remember that in Heavensward.
    But then it's been a while since i did any of them so it might just be my memory being faulty.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    yep, every 51-59 (and 61-69 and 71-79) dungeon gives you a piece of gear for your job that you don't already have at the end on top of whatever you might get from the final boss chest. It doesn't draw much attention to it so it's easy to miss.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

But then it's been a while since i did any of them so it might just be my memory being faulty.

It was added sometime during Stormblood, so that might be it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    This is my final stab at DRK questline, and why i am so out of sync with everyone else on the story.
    Also some musings on FF story in general, but no real spoilers.
    Disassociating myself from my character, the story itself is not terrible in a vacuum.
    The idea about learning a lesson about arrogance and selfishness is not bad in and of itself.
    But i have not seen this selfishnes or arrogance i am supposed to learn a lesson about in my character.
    If anything, WoL is too humble, and too selfless.
    And the idea of such grief about not being able to save everyone feels weird because it never ocurred to me that we might do so, if anything the sheer lack of death among people around us feels insanely optimistic.

I've previously gone on about how the story feels like it is taking shortcuts with interpersonal relations.
    I am friends with people, i guess, atleast according to the story and the npc's, but i don't feel those friendships are developed properly overtime. So it feels weird to have all these people constantly come and chat up like we were bff's from ages ago, when i can barely remember their faces.
    This might be somewhat related.
    This anguish i am supposed to feel, comes out of nowhere to me.
    The idea that i would be tempted by Myste's actions feels ludicrous.
    I have no problem with the idea that some small part of WoL would come up with this idea, and given freedom seek to try it out, i think Myste is a child for a reason (the plan is very a childish one).
    It's that i have problem buying that the greater, more grown up parts would follow suit after first two, or smile and nod at the third.

Problem is, i think, mostly in that WoL has been such an almost blank slate for so long, that this character now imposed upon them feels at odds at who i have been playing.
    If the storyline (especially outside job quests) starts to treat the WoL as an actual character, and not an avatar of the player, then stories like this are going to, not be better, but feel better.
    Because ultimately it is not that the story told is bad. It's that the character i am playing feels wrong for it.
    So if they write the character i am playing to fit the story, then the story will be more coherent.

Though i vehemently reject the idea of accepting that people die, no we don't, that's why we developed vaccines and medicine and surgery and all the other stuff to not die.
    Problem with Myste not accepting deaths is that his idea of dealing with it was a stupid one.
    Apologies for bringing this up again, feel free to ignore me and my ramblings.

It was added sometime during Stormblood, so that might be it.
    Might be, i did stop playing pretty early after Stormblood launched.
    I was trying to level up jobs to 60 before moving on and got tired of it, not going to do the same mistake again, i will level some jobs.
    finish the main storyline, do the blue sidequests, and then buy and move on to Shadowbringer.

RE: DRK
    My take isn't that the WoL is an asshole, but rather that they're pretty emotionally repressed.

You can't access the job until you gain access to Ishgard. So, after the Crystal Braves betrayal. So, yeah, I can imagine the WoL being really frustrated deep down inside at that point - every idiot in the land needs your help with the most basic task, and your ultimate reward is one of scorn, betrayal, or death. But, being who they are, the WoL pushes those feelings down until they literally manifest.

Similarly, the Myste arc happens after Heavensward and during Stormblood. The WoL goes from Primal slayer and defender against Garlean incursion to a two time nation builder. The mission has radically changed, and more than ever before people are caught in the crossfire. Ishgard gets the shit knocked out of it by Nidhogg, and shortly after (maybe a month or two?) Rhalgr's Reach is invaded, with a non-trivial amount of refugees and locals either killed or captured. And up until level 65-67 the campaign goes badly. Zenos thwarts the WoL at every turn, Krile is captured, and things generally go to shit until you can recruit the Au'Ra. Is it any wonder why the WoL would be feeling immense regret and guilt? Especially since they're target #1?

Now, I do understand the complaint about the WoL being a blank canvas in just about every part of the game except these quests. But, for me, that's a complaint against the rest of the game's handling of the WoL. The DRK quests show it's possible to make the player's character in an MMO something approximating an actual character rather than just a cipher. It takes some control away from the player ("I wouldn't do/think that"), but I'm okay with it. YMMV.

Nightslyr wrote: »
    RE: DRK
    My take isn't that the WoL is an asshole, but rather that they're pretty emotionally repressed.

You can't access the job until you gain access to Ishgard. So, after the Crystal Braves betrayal. So, yeah, I can imagine the WoL being really frustrated deep down inside at that point - every idiot in the land needs your help with the most basic task, and your ultimate reward is one of scorn, betrayal, or death. But, being who they are, the WoL pushes those feelings down until they literally manifest.

Similarly, the Myste arc happens after Heavensward and during Stormblood. The WoL goes from Primal slayer and defender against Garlean incursion to a two time nation builder. The mission has radically changed, and more than ever before people are caught in the crossfire. Ishgard gets the shit knocked out of it by Nidhogg, and shortly after (maybe a month or two?) Rhalgr's Reach is invaded, with a non-trivial amount of refugees and locals either killed or captured. And up until level 65-67 the campaign goes badly. Zenos thwarts the WoL at every turn, Krile is captured, and things generally go to shit until you can recruit the Au'Ra. Is it any wonder why the WoL would be feeling immense regret and guilt? Especially since they're target #1?

Now, I do understand the complaint about the WoL being a blank canvas in just about every part of the game except these quests. But, for me, that's a complaint against the rest of the game's handling of the WoL. The DRK quests show it's possible to make the player's character in an MMO something approximating an actual character rather than just a cipher. It takes some control away from the player ("I wouldn't do/think that"), but I'm okay with it. YMMV.
    I would have gone more for detached that repressed, but that's probably because i am fairly detached myself lot of the time.

And the Heavensward DRK quests were good because they really went with what lot of players were feeling, so it fit, and the response was appropriate for the feeling.
    Also we did not just blindly follow and commit horrible deeds, we were fighting against that.
    That's the core of my complaint.
    That our character went along with Myste right up until he started murdering chocobos and trying to destroy the world.
    Had our character been trying to stop Myste from 3rd quest forward, the story would have been lot better for me.

It's just a personal thing for me, if i find myself wanting to yell at characters to stop being idiots, that detracts a lot from the story.
    And it is lot worse when i am playing the story instead of just reading it.

As for things going badly.
    Zenos is almost non existent within the story.
    Yes, we as players know we are Zenos's target #1, but has that actually changed anything?
    Does he hound our steps? Send death squads after us? oppress people extra hard?
    No, not really, any real effect we seem to have on the story is that after our 2nd encounter, Zenos naffs of instead of going ballistin on Doma for the assassination attempt, which i think is probably a major positive.
    So i don't really buy that as a reason for regret or guilt.
    Only really bad things that seem to happen is that Y'shtola gets hurt. And we had nothing to do with it.
    Like, if we had a reason to get upset, it would be because of Magnai treated us, and that's more of a Fray problem (and boy do i wish we had the option to do something about that).

I loved Star Wars: The Old Republic, and the characters there were absolutely not ciphers, i had some control, but never full, and story was not mine, but theirs. But they went in with that from the start, instead of suddenly switching lanes midstream.
    So a player character not being a cipher is not new idea to me, or an unwelcome one.
    But the DRK quests, especially 60 to 70 ones, are very clumsy about making the switch, because there is no real buildup, nothing to create the character we suddenly find inhabiting our place.

"I would not think/do that" is fine. The problem is that i have no reason to expect that my character would either.
    You can't just say "you are desperate and feeling immense regret/guilt", you need to show it, and give us a reason for it.
    And i find neither happening in game.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I don't know how it happened but...I think I heal better with a controller on regular duties than with a mouse. FF14 is a weird/great game. Thank you Yoshi P!

Also, I don't know how it happened but this is the first time in like ever than I'm just looking forward to leveling up more jobs. It kinda helps that I finished gearing up my GNB with Eden gear.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Controller support in this game is great, I play exclusively on it.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the controller experience when I played on PS4. I've never bothered to use a controller on my PC since I have KBAM already setup.

I can't imagine trying to play witha controller with all the spells i need to juggle.
    But i am happy it is working out for you.

Controller is the only way I can play the game competently due to how my hands (don't) work. Better accessibility, even if it's a side effect of the platform, is great for players like me. And one of the big reasons I'll always hold XIV in much higher regard than other MMOs.

The way they do keybinds is simple, yet elegant, and as long as you remember where you bound your abilities, it actually is easier to manage than on a keyboard.

Keybinds are broken into clusters of 4, and you activate the cluster with a button combo, like L2+DPadDown or something, and then once you've activated that cluster of spells, the abilities are tied to X, Square, Triangle, Circle (on PS4 controller). I find that way easier to manage because I don't have to stretch my pinky all the way to the 7 key or whatever. Just bringing the right cluster of spells forward and then activating the spell I want is super intuitive.

Of course, I say that, but I'm still playing with a keyboard.

I just click abilities with my mouse.
    Used to have a mouse with a numpad on the side that allowed my to pretty much just use my thumb to pick abolities with shift and ctrl.
    But it broke and have not found another one that was decent (i did buy similar one but it lasted like a few months before it started breaking down).

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I just click abilities with my mouse.
    Used to have a mouse with a numpad on the side that allowed my to pretty much just use my thumb to pick abolities with shift and ctrl.
    But it broke and have not found another one that was decent (i did buy similar one but it lasted like a few months before it started breaking down).

Logitech g600 or Redragon M901 are both solid mmo mice.

I’m a huge fan of the ring finger mouse button on the g600.

edit: also, clicking abilities is far less efficient than having keybinds enough to keep at least one's main combat rotation under the fingers (at the very least). Clicking abilities will lead to slower reaction or misplay in higher end/stress situations.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    Yeah, controller is super simple once you configure it.

You get 8 hotbars of 16 buttons each. You can cycle through bars by either tapping R1, or you can directly choose by holding down R1 and pressing the button that corresponds to the bar you want.

Here's where it gets cool:

You can set it up so that only certain bars can be cycled through (R1 tap) depending on whether or not you're in combat. So, I have two non-combat bars - one with travel stuff (sprint, mounts, teleport, etc.) and one for dungeon/party markers. The moment I wield my weapon, it goes into combat mode. Those two bars are replaced by my combat bars. I have a 3rd bar (which I access by pressing L2 and then R2) for extreme things (primarily SMN pet placement).

It's a really elegant system.

I started MCN last night, since I wasn't really feeling Archer.

I've only done the level 30 quest so far, so I don't really know where the story is headed, but I already find it a lot more interesting than some of the class quests I've done.

Many of the class quests, especially from the original 2.0 are so dull. The Conjurer one is the worst. I was bored to tears with all of that stuff about the elder tree, and about the Padjals distrusting me, but then earning their begrudging respect. But honestly, most of them seem to follow that. The Archer class quest is the same way. There's some asshole guy in the guild who looks down on you because you're an outsider and not a native of the Twelveswood, so therefore there's no possible way you could ever be a good archer. And you earn his begrudging respect too.

I'm tired of begrudging respect stories. And so many of the class quests follow that pattern.

Sylphie (Conjurer) kinda pays off in StB. After GNB and PLD, I think any class quest is better tho.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    In an odd coincidence.
    I just did the white mage quests for 60 to 70.
    And they were wonderful.
    so far, only problem i have really had with job quests in stormblood is with DRK one, everything else has been great at their worst.

I didn't have a problem with the 60-70 White Mage quests per se. The story was fine, and the ending was sad but good. My problem is that I just don't think White Mage fits the lore they're trying to shove it into, but we've already covered that 10 or so pages ago. White Mage's lore feels like the lore of a geomancer class, not a white mage. So while I was able to appreciate the Stormblood story for what it was, and it was good, it also didn't feel thematically correct to me.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The level 77 trolley quests were so boring I stopped playing for a week and a half :surprised:

I'm back on it though, just hit 78. Loving the Shadowbringers story so far. The music is incredible, Soken better win some awards for this OST.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    The level 77 trolley quests were so boring I stopped playing for a week and a half :surprised:

I'm back on it though, just hit 78. Loving the Shadowbringers story so far. The music is incredible, Soken better win some awards for this OST.

La-hee!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    lol that trolley...

guys one question. Is there a way to check out my current Glamour Plate on a different race? I'm seriously considering using that Phantasia promo but I just want to be sure that my current outfit like...works?

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Looking forward to getting into the Shadowbringer's content, considering everyone's raving about it. I'm nearing the end of the Heavensward content, which has been pretty good overall. I hit 60 early with my Samurai, so switched to Dragoon to make sure I was getting the most bang for my buck re: MSQ stuff. Now he's 60 and I'm making sure to get my Summoner some love too. Overall I've found summoner to be kind of on the slow side, but Dreadwyrm Trance is really damn cool and some of the new abilities you get from 52-58 really give you some neat options.

I have to admit I have a hard time deciding on my 'main' job. I kind of swap between several of them, which really slows down progression.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yo, while y'all are talking about controllers, does anyone have a link to a good resource for setting one up for PC? I've got my wife playing this, but she's a clicker and everything I've tried hasn't been able to break her from it, but she gets hand and wrist issues from using the M+K for longer periods of time so it occurred to me that maybe I should have her try out a controller instead.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    lol that trolley...

guys one question. Is there a way to check out my current Glamour Plate on a different race? I'm seriously considering using that Phantasia promo but I just want to be sure that my current outfit like...works?

I googled glamour tester and found this. Not sure how well it works but it at least seems to be up-to-date.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Also this talk of controllers has me contemplating a change from kbam. Some classes just have so many buttons and I'm running out of spaces to put them. Maybe controllers are the answer?

admanb wrote: »
    lol that trolley...

I googled glamour tester and found this. Not sure how well it works but it at least seems to be up-to-date.

My suggestion, if the pieces of the outfit are sellable on the marketboard, would be to make a new temp character of the new race and then use the gear preview to see how the full outfit would look.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.