As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    BBs are generally cheaper? They don't meet the cost of an R2 until PS5.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    BBs are generally cheaper? They don't meet the cost of an R2 until PS5.

They are cheaper, and maybe the barrel roll lets you potentially dodge much more damage than regen would? My question is just are people sleeping on regen for the Resistance or are the BBs just superior? I understand Poe needs R4 so much, but cheaper pilots or Nien/Ello?

I think I figured it out. You should be awarded half points the instant it happens, instead of calculating on end life totals. This way, even if they regened above the threshold you'd keep the points. The astromechs would still be useful in preventing death, but not half points. I think that would tame them sufficiently, since you'd have to ask "okay, what are the odds this dies, and if it doesn't die, do I really need the regen?" Even then keeping crits off your dude is very useful.

Also, your bid should be surrendered to your opponent. Bid 15? Your opponent starts up 15 points so you better get aggressive.

ChaosHat on
    edited August 2019
    Imperial Raider 2.0 was officially announced: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/7/the-weight-of-the-empire/
    Nothing too exciting or unknown there yet. Release date is Q4 2019 like the other 2 huge ships announced.

Edit: I guess the "new" info would be the pilot cards (Empire/FO) 4 attack (180 front-arc primary), 0 agility, 20 hull, 8 Shields, and 6 energy with 2 regen triangles for shields and energy. They have 2 values in the initiative area. If I had to guess, it looks like 8 for movement, 0 for combat. There's also a "2x" over the action bar along the side. I assume that means you get 2 of those actions per turn (Focus, reinforce, TL, Coordinate, Jam).
    No news yet on the maneuver template.

crimsoncoyote on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I find it interesting that they are simplifying the firing arcs. Loses a bit of flavor, but also tends to make it simpler and easier to fly.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I think it's a good change. Anything to speed up Epic play is good in my book.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    'Sup dudes. My tabletop buddies and I tried this here spaceship game for the first time today.

I immediately ordered my copy as soon as I got home.

It's pretty good, y'all.

I plan on playing Rebels due to my utter love of the Y and U Wings.

That Corvette is absolutely badass though.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's basically my favorite tabletop minis game, hands-down.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I'm putting a list together and have discovered that I have lost all of my proximity mines and conner net tokens. Upon investigation it seems I threw out all my 1.0 tokens, thinking I'd not need them anymore, forgetting that no device tokens came with the conversion kits so now the only device tokens I have are from the one 2.0 Y-Wing and the three Hyena Bombers.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Conner nets at least will come in the mini devices expansion they are doing.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Conner nets at least will come in the mini devices expansion they are doing.

Yeah, it's a while till that. I might just order some acrylic device markers for now. I did find my mini 2.0 damage deck though! It was in the box with all the 1.0 cards.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Beat me to it!

Such a weird ship

crimsoncoyote on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkJtdJKCVto

The trailer for Star Wars Resistance Season 2 is here. Always good to watch to see if there will be new ships. I think there's something that looks like a F/O Bomber.

I made a quick list of ships that we got from the previous show, Rebels, and it's pretty extensive: VCX-100, Phantom I and II, TIE Advanced Prototype, Lancer, Fang Fighter, and Sabine's TIE (still love the paint job).

So hype for a First Order Bomber and another Ace ship?

oh h*ck
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    How is that show? I never got around to checking it out. I did finish Rebels and actually liked it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited August 2019
    I've heard Resistance isn't nearly as good as Rebels or Clone Wars, unfortunately.

Hmm, interesting that it seems like there will only be the 2 seasons. The trailer for s2 seems good though!

crimsoncoyote on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    How is that show? I never got around to checking it out. I did finish Rebels and actually liked it.

It starts out pretty rough, but picks up about halfway through, and season 1 ends on a pretty strong note.
    It's nice seeing Star Wars where none of the main characters are badass force users (or potential force users). I was expecting for a long time that Kaz would pick up a holocron, or have Luke show up and dump the whole "heir to the legacy of the Force" thing. but that never happened. Just a clumsy kid who's a gifted pilot.

I'm interested in seeing where they take it, and how/if they tie it in with the rest of the setting beyond Poe showing up on occasion.

Edit: That ship at 1:15 (not the fireball) looks mean. Hope that makes it to the table.

see317 on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Cool. I'll have to check it out then. Even better is that it is only 2 seasons so that will be easy.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Alright, so I'm a bit lost on trying to tell what's first edition vs second. From what I can tell, blue means first, and some red means second but some red also means first, and if you accidentally buy a first edition red you'll need one of the conversion kits to play it in second?

I don't know what red and blue mean in this context?

Second edition stuff all comes in black boxes that are mostly cardboard with some plastic. First edition is lighter colored cardboard for larger expansions with all-plastic clamshells for smaller ones.

R-dem wrote: »
    Alright, so I'm a bit lost on trying to tell what's first edition vs second. From what I can tell, blue means first, and some red means second but some red also means first, and if you accidentally buy a first edition red you'll need one of the conversion kits to play it in second?

Black cardboard box is second. If you do buy a first edition ship you will need the conversion so I'd stay away from it.

Alternatively, you could try to buy a collection on eBay or Facebook or something and buy the conversion kits for that. That would probably be a great deal but more up front cost.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Let’s say you’re someone who bought the TFA first edition starter box and then never got around to buying anything else. Assuming the purchase of a second edition starter box, is there a straightforward way to get some use out of the T-70 and TIE f/o minis from the first edition box alongside your new second-edition stuff?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Let’s say you’re someone who bought the TFA first edition starter box and then never got around to buying anything else. Assuming the purchase of a second edition starter box, is there a straightforward way to get some use out of the T-70 and TIE f/o minis from the first edition box alongside your new second-edition stuff?

Not really. "Straightforward" in that you would only need to purchase the conversion kits for the Resistance and FO to bring them forward, but not really because they were both broken out into their own separate factions. You would not be able to pair them on the same squad with any of the ships from the Second Edition core.

hlprmnky wrote: »

I might have extra conversions I could send you. I'll let you know.

Awesome, thanks for the clarifications folks. I was asking because I was trying to figure out getting a U-Wing, and it looks like FFG hasn't released the 2.0 ones yet.
    I can wait!
    I'll just watch Rogue One for the like kajillionth time.
    I can wait!
    *twitch*

edited August 2019
    Awesome, thanks for the clarifications folks. I was asking because I was trying to figure out getting a U-Wing, and it looks like FFG hasn't released the 2.0 ones yet.
    I can wait!
    I can wait!
    *twitch*

"Saw's Renegades" technically has 2.0 stuff in it. Probably best to wait for the 2.0 release of the standalone U-wing and Saw's Renegades though. Saw's Renegades is coming in Wave 6, I think.

crimsoncoyote on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I can wait!
    I can wait!
    *twitch*

"Saw's Renegades" technically has 2.0 stuff in it. Probably best to wait for the 2.0 release of the standalone U-wing and Saw's Renegades though. Saw's Renegades is coming in Wave 6, I think.

Other than Saw's stuff I felt much of the rogue one ships that came out disappointing
    I wanted a Heavy transport now known as the Zeta-class cargo shuttle but this was when I was getting fed up with the direction the game was taking

edited August 2019
    I can wait!
    I can wait!
    *twitch*

There's no real point in waiting. The 1.0 version technically has slightly different card formatting but it's not a big deal. Everything in it is 2.0 compliant.

ChaosHat on
    You're probably right. I have however seen insane markups on "out of print" 1.0 ships that haven't seen a 2.0 release yet.

Like 75 USD for the ghost expansion.

You're probably right. I have however seen insane markups on "out of print" 1.0 ships that haven't seen a 2.0 release yet.

Like 75 USD for the ghost expansion.

It's like 7 bucks cheaper than MSRP on Amazon right now. Really depends on the ship. Like, don't buy any assault gunboats aka star wings.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy Crap, SirWillibald got some hobby time again!

http://sirwillibald.com/

He's up through Wave 2 of 2.0. He's also still considering how he's gonna tackle the conversion kits, or if he's going to even do that. Given the announcement of the ship booster pack, I suspect he's going to start needing to release gearboxes that are not necessarily 1:1 with dials and bases, but could be if desired.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh wow, those are amazing and exactly what I was looking for. Had a bunch of old stuff and was trying to figure out a storage solution for them. Ran out of card-stock after for or five hangers, so i haven’t made Gearboxes yet.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited August 2019
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh wow, those are amazing and exactly what I was looking for. Had a bunch of old stuff and was trying to figure out a storage solution for them. Ran out of card-stock after for or five hangers, so i haven’t made Gearboxes yet.

Yeaaah. I went through a very large production cycle a couple years ago. They are amazing, and I try to support the designer whenever I can.

I also am very glad my local office supply store carries the right weight of cardstock. I also try to maximize printing where I can, running it through the printer manually to efficiently use the space.

Edit: Here's the wayback machine picture of me doing the hangars.

NXI8YUVh.jpg

Athenor on
    In crazy fast turn around I already got the acrylic devices I ordered from CurledPawCreatives on Etsy. I also ordered little blue tokens to show when the Vulture Droids are walking around on a rock!

edited August 2019
    Okay, working on some "all-in-one" quick-play cards so I don't have to bring my entire card collection on a plane to a company boardgaming thing.

Plz critique my sample:
    v1zgd12394dn.png

ED: Please ignore the blue lines - those are for line-up assistance.
    ED2: And I've fixed the misalignment on the Blue Squadron Pilot's core stats. Sheesh. Srsly, post something online and you immediately find 3 things wrong with it ...

Elvenshae on
    ... semi-crazy question ...

Can a ship with Advanced Sensors perform a linked action (Focus->Barrel Roll) before moving? I think no, which is sort of a change from 1E, but I wanted to be sure.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    ... semi-crazy question ...

Can a ship with Advanced Sensors perform a linked action (Focus->Barrel Roll) before moving? I think no, which is sort of a change from 1E, but I wanted to be sure.

No, because it says you can't do any more actions.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Core Set get. Saw's Renegades will be getting got today.

To say that I am excited is a bit of an understatement.

I'm going to start with this list, which is really called Saw's Partisans but frankly should be entitled Focus Shenanigans.

Saw's Partisans

(47) Benthic Two Tubes [UT-60D U-wing]
    (0) Pivot Wing
    (6) Shield Upgrade
    (8) Perceptive Copilot
    (8) Magva Yarro
    (2) Fire-Control System

(45) Edrio Two Tubes [T-65 X-wing]
    (0) Servomotor S-foils
    (6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
    (6) R5-D8
    (6) Shield Upgrade

(47) Garven Dreis [T-65 X-wing]
    (3) Swarm Tactics
    (6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
    (0) Servomotor S-foils
    (6) Shield Upgrade
    (4) R2 Astromech

Total points: 200

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Actually, a random thought. Is there a decent guide anywhere for which tokens to hang onto when you're converting 1e ships to 2e via the kit?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Shield and bomb/mine tokens are really the big ones. Maybe a few evade tokens as well.
    Everything else is pretty well covered.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Actually, a random thought. Is there a decent guide anywhere for which tokens to hang onto when you're converting 1e ships to 2e via the kit?

All of them. The conversion kits don't include enough of pretty much anything except maybe stress tokens, unless you're running a stress list.

4dm3dwuxq302.png