As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are you from Oregon, Alaska, Colorado, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, or parts of CA?

ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited August 2019 in PAX West
CA = Canada not California. I hit the max title limit unfortunately.

If you are from any of these places or American Somoa you should know that Washington changed their sales tax laws this year. Previously you would have been able to avoid paying sales tax if you told the store you were from these states (but vendors at PAX have almost never honored this so this change is a good thing, sort of). Now you must pay the tax and claim it at the end of the year to get it back. So save all those receipts and you may get a chunk of change from Washington back in January. You can find more details at https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/retail-sales-tax/sales-nonresidents Shockingly they have not yet determined their process for processing these requests.. FYI this does not include taxes on hotels, prepared food, or parking.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz on

• Options
    anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    Yup! I heard about this. I never used the "I'm from Oregon" thing. I figured, I'm in their state, I should pay their taxes. I'm okay with this change. I think I'm more outraged by the fact you can't get straws at restaurants. I bought my own metal straws for PAX. LOL

5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Most businesses in Vancouver don't charge is the TAX since we are just across the river, even after the change in the law.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    PS Sorry Canada, max title length made me abbreviate :(

Could've used the postal codes for the states...

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I must have misunderstood this. Is California not on this tax list? That's what I thought "CA" was at first, same abbreviation and all.

Captain Ironsides on
    zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular

I must have misunderstood this. Is California not on this tax list? That's what I thought "CA" was at first, same abbreviation and all.

No it is not, because California has a sales tax. The states mentioned in this post do not.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

Could've used the postal codes for the states...

Oh my that would have been a whole lot longer (and funnier)

Just for grins I looked up that data on that
    Oregon 480 zip codes
    Alaska 273 zip codes
    Colorado 643 zip codes
    Delaware 96 zip codes
    Montana 404 zip codes
    New Hampshire 281 zip codes
    Canada has approximately 850,000 postal codes! Apparently there are so many postal codes because they encompass an average of 14 households.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Um, I meant the 2 letter abbreviations, not ZIP codes.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    anettie76 wrote: »
    Yup! I heard about this. I never used the "I'm from Oregon" thing. I figured, I'm in their state, I should pay their taxes. I'm okay with this change. I think I'm more outraged by the fact you can't get straws at restaurants. I bought my own metal straws for PAX. LOL

Most restaurants will offer a paper straw! I usually get those when I order food.

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay