As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I wonder how the "you must disclose odds" policy changes will affect some of this stuff

Wouldn't affect this event very much, as there's only 24 items so the odds of each is presumably 1/24. It's gross for anyone who really wants something specific though, as they have to pay $7 per pull at that 1/24 slot machine trying to get it rather than being able to just buy it.

I thought one of the tactics with lootboxes was that like a costume set would have a distribution like

Head : 20%
    Torso : 0.001%
    Arms : 25%
    Legs : 30%
    Weapon : 24.999%

and so to complete the set you assume it's a 4/5 chance so you keep buying/opening boxes trying to get the chest piece, but in reality you're almost never going to see it.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I wonder how the "you must disclose odds" policy changes will affect some of this stuff

Wouldn't affect this event very much, as there's only 24 items so the odds of each is presumably 1/24. It's gross for anyone who really wants something specific though, as they have to pay $7 per pull at that 1/24 slot machine trying to get it rather than being able to just buy it.

I thought one of the tactics with lootboxes was that like a costume set would have a distribution like

and so to complete the set you assume it's a 4/5 chance so you keep buying/opening boxes trying to get the chest piece, but in reality you're almost never going to see it.

But you’re saying there’s a chance

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Dicey Dungeons is neat, but it feels weirdly like it's designed for mobile

6F32U1X.png
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Damn, that NMS update is some good shit.

not if they kept space cops in

spacecop1%2528cropped%2529.jpg

You wanna repeat that, son?

Chill out and have a donut, Officer Bacon.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I reinstalled Payday 2 because I thought about it so much and they also have lootboxes now

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    They're called "safes," Platy.

Edit: goddammit, of course they actually named their stupid lootboxes safes and ruined my good gag.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so Root is a tabletop strategy game that is literally my favorite game I've ever played

it's an asymmetric game about cute little woodland critters all fighting to the death over forest dominance

each faction plays completely different, so like there's a faction of militant cats that play more like a traditional RTS where they have large masses of units and buildings to construct and protect, or the bureaucratic birds that build out a specific tableau of cards that dictate what they can do on their turn, but it also means it's what they HAVE to do so you're working this delicate balancing act of not overstepping but maintaining progress, or the faction that is just one little guy who is off in his own corner of the world playing the Witcher completing quests and interacting with the other player, or the faction that is a proletariat revolution of the woodland creatures who are sick of BOTH the cats and the birds' shit and have decided to reclaim the woods for themselves as the natives

it's such a fascinating design of a multiplayer game and I could think about it for weeks on end and play it all the time

so when I heard there was a digital version of it in the works, I was very excited about the possibilities of what it could end up looking like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dncZ-hTVTyU

this is...not what I was expecting

hopefully it still translates the mechanics well, but it looks very, very cheap for a game that one of the major selling points is the beautiful graphic design and artwork

crossing my fingers for a lot of visual polish work still to be done

6F32U1X.png
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Since I finished Crysis for the first time, I figured I'd go further back in time and play...

GUN. So far, it's fairly charming - great soundtrack and...is that Brad Dourif?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    so Root is a tabletop strategy game that is literally my favorite game I've ever played

it's an asymmetric game about cute little woodland critters all fighting to the death over forest dominance

each faction plays completely different, so like there's a faction of militant cats that play more like a traditional RTS where they have large masses of units and buildings to construct and protect, or the bureaucratic birds that build out a specific tableau of cards that dictate what they can do on their turn, but it also means it's what they HAVE to do so you're working this delicate balancing act of not overstepping but maintaining progress, or the faction that is just one little guy who is off in his own corner of the world playing the Witcher completing quests and interacting with the other player, or the faction that is a proletariat revolution of the woodland creatures who are sick of BOTH the cats and the birds' shit and have decided to reclaim the woods for themselves as the natives

it's such a fascinating design of a multiplayer game and I could think about it for weeks on end and play it all the time

so when I heard there was a digital version of it in the works, I was very excited about the possibilities of what it could end up looking like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dncZ-hTVTyU

this is...not what I was expecting

hopefully it still translates the mechanics well, but it looks very, very cheap for a game that one of the major selling points is the beautiful graphic design and artwork

crossing my fingers for a lot of visual polish work still to be done

I actually think it looks really nice? Like the character models looks just like the art on the cards and I love the cell shading which seems like a great choice for that style

What were you hoping it would look like?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I think it looks nice enough but something about it seems... off. Like the fox (?) man at the end there, it looks kinda weird. Like the models aren't detailed enough for the textures?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

There probably are games that pull that shit, but you don't get duplicate items in Apex Legends and supposedly each item in each rarity tier has the same drop rate.

Still shitty and expensive if you want a specific item.

Peewi on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Damn, that NMS update is some good shit.

I mean if nothing else they upped the storage limit per slot from 250 to 10,000 so that's nice

JtgVX0H.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Since I finished Crysis for the first time, I figured I'd go further back in time and play...

GUN. So far, it's fairly charming - great soundtrack and...is that Brad Dourif?

shit I should go replay Gun again

Gun is an... okay game, that was probably more hyped than it would be. It's a decent B-game. Also I remember it being REALLY short.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Play Call of Juarez Gunslinger as well then. Nice double feature.

Man, that game was SURPRISINGLY rad.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think they're probably still trying to figure out how to make money off of Apex, I don't think their battle pass stuff really set the world on fire and their cosmetics have been bad

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Gun is an... okay game, that was probably more hyped than it would be. It's a decent B-game. Also I remember it being REALLY short.

I think if I went today and played it for the first time that would definitely be my impression

but I feel like even years from now I'm gonna be sounding like an old English teacher recommending a book no one has any interest in and can't connect with because of how "important" it is.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

Such a cool game

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Ion Maiden Fury is apparently pretty good, at least according to the Eurogamer review. Neat

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

It played around with the unreliable narrator idea a lot better than Dragon Age 2 did.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I didn't see a single car in that trailer with giant white writing on the tyre sidewalls, are they gonna put any fast cars in the game?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/we-know-we-re-not-taking-it-far-enough-a-ubisoft-vp-wr-1837243347
    'We Know We’re Not Taking It Far Enough': A Ubisoft VP Wrestles With Politics In Games
    A few days before we’d spoken, he’d described something similar in a Q&A published on Ubisoft’s website. “If my game was set during the Vietnam conflict, for example,” he said, “we would want the Viet Minh, the Viet Cong...basically everyone’s point of view.” From there, he said, players would learn about all sides of the war and form their own opinions.

Francois wasn’t using these descriptions to pitch a new game. In his Q&A and in his conversation with me, he was instead attempting to reframe the discussion around politics and video games, a perennially taboo topic that most makers of big-budget games avoid. He wanted to engage.
    “So the goal there is not to be preachy,” he added, slipping into talking about Ubisoft’s game-making goals. “It’s to showcase.”

He was trying to sell me on his model of a game from which the player is able to sample a range of perspectives. Think of it like sampling a menu at a restaurant, he said.

What Francois was articulating in a roundabout way is Ubisoft’s new stab at answering the politics question: that their games don’t lack a political message but instead are designed to potentially contain multiple ones
    We need good literature classes that explain why his idea that this would be neutral is complete nonsense.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i wonder how they're going to make this need for speed illegal streetracing reboot from the previous need for speed illegal street racing games and reboots

3.1.3 Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
    3.1.4 Need for Speed: High Stakes (1999)
    3.1.6 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
    3.1.7 Need for Speed: Underground (2003)
    3.1.8 Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
    3.1.9 Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
    3.1.10 Need for Speed: Carbon (2006)
    3.1.12 Need for Speed: Undercover (2008)
    3.1.16 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
    3.1.18 Need for Speed: The Run (2011)
    3.1.19 Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
    3.1.20 Need for Speed Rivals (2013)
    3.1.22 Need for Speed (2015)
    3.1.23 Need for Speed Payback (2017)
    3.1.24 Need for Speed Heat (2019)

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is need for speed like a money laundering thing, like if the clerk fucked up and actually sold you a copy of need for speed carbonara when you got home it turns out the disk is made of paper or something

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I think they only make them specifically to disappoint Jeff Gerstmann now.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Is need for speed like a money laundering thing, like if the clerk fucked up and actually sold you a copy of need for speed carbonara when you got home it turns out the disk is made of paper or something

New at Olive Garden!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Is Michael Mann involved in this.
    Is Pacino talking about GREAT ASSES anywhere.
    That would get me more excited.

Less flippantly, I just don't see EA spending enough money to come close to Forza Horizon. I feel like it's pretty easy to make a mediocre racing game, and really hard to make a good one.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Okay so a while back G2A boldly said that they were totally legitimate and they'd pay a dev the cost of any chargebacks if they could prove it. Subnautica took them up on that offer.

G2A's response? "Uhhh....we uh, we...didn't exist at the time you're saying we did! Someone forged the Wayback Machine archive to make it look like we did!"

liEt3nH.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Okay so a while back G2A boldly said that they were totally legitimate and they'd pay a dev the cost of any chargebacks if they could prove it. Subnautica took them up on that offer.

G2A's response? "Uhhh....we uh, we...didn't exist at the time you're saying we did! Someone forged the Wayback Machine archive to make it look like we did!"

lmao

I posted the article about that a few days ago (before they had a response) and was EAGERLY AWAITING their response

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the old "Nuh uh, wasn't us" legal defense

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If theres someone out there who can hack the wayback machine.

I .. Uhhh .. Am curious what they charge

For a friend....

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The next reboot of course should use the definite article The Need for Speed.

Except woops that's actually the name of the very first game so I guess they're fucked.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Except woops that's actually the name of the very first game so I guess they're fucked.

Pffft, there's already 2 Hot Pursuits and Most Wanteds, it's not like there's no precedent.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

The Need for The Speed

Boom, off to the races

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    2 Need 2 Speed

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

The Need for The Speed

Boom, off to the races

The Need for The Speed Force

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The Need and The Speed

• MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    The Need and The Speed: Tokyo Drift

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Have they not done need4speed yet?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.