As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ooft.

My partner bought her mother a new phone a few weeks ago. Every weekend since we've been helping her figure out how to install the SIM card and set it up, how to connect to her wifi dongle, how to take photographs with it, how to send photographs in a message with it...

This is a woman who 25+ years ago, sourced components for, built, and set up a room full of IBM clone pcs for a chronically-underfunded small country town tertiary college when she worked there part time as an administrator because nobody else on staff had the faintest fucking idea!

And now she can't figure out how to use a fucking Android One phone...

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ooft.

My partner bought her mother a new phone a few weeks ago. Every weekend since we've been helping her figure out how to install the SIM card and set it up, how to connect to her wifi dongle, how to take photographs with it, how to send photographs in a message with it...

This is a woman who 25+ years ago, sourced components for, built, and set up a room full of IBM clone pcs for a chronically-underfunded small country town tertiary college when she worked there part time as an administrator because nobody else on staff had the faintest fucking idea!

And now she can't figure out how to use a fucking Android One phone...

Do you ever get the itch to spin up a small MDM solution for family phones? I do.

Currently I've been tasked with specing out a new VDI system for engineering programs (Solidworks, CATIA, etc) and a "machine learning" system.

yay big money purchases.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    So, remember a while back when I was frustrated at Apple device management?

I got us set up on Apple Device Enrollment Program and Apple Business Manager. I got my technicians all logins to Business Manager, and I added our VAR to Business Manager as a supplier and I connected our MDM to Business Manager.

Separately I also got us set up as an Apple Enterprise customer so now we have our own local Apple sales rep and our own customized Apple web storefront.

It took a few weeks to get everything in order, but the process is so easy now.

We can order an Apple device from either our VAR or direct from Apple, and when it ships its serial number gets automatically uploaded to Apple Business Manager.

Then we go into our MDM, add the serial number manually, and as soon as the device is unboxed it starts installing our MDM package.

It's totally slick.

@That_Guy @spool32

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I turned on a dlp rule in office 365.

Microsoft is 90% certain that POs are drivers license numbers and is spamming the heck out of me.

This isn't helpful.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So, I'm back from my short vacation. Exactly as much work as I expected to get done got done (read: None), and I somehow came back to more work than I left on the table last Tuesday, and it seems like everyone knows I came back today. Hell, I was only gone for two actual work days.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    As soon as someone retires I'm fucking axing our customer email services. I am fucking sick and tired of getting interrupted because someone wants help with their email client. Email clients ain't my fuckin' business! Here's your email address and password, use it however you want, I don't care.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »
    As soon as someone retires I'm fucking axing our customer email services. I am fucking sick and tired of getting interrupted because someone wants help with their email client. Email clients ain't my fuckin' business! Here's your email address in password, use it however you want, I don't care.

Build a system to automatically print any incoming email and send it to their service address via usps.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I turned on a dlp rule in office 365.

Microsoft is 90% certain that POs are drivers license numbers and is spamming the heck out of me.

This isn't helpful.

We have a very nice very advanced very expensive third-party DLP solution.

The project went something like this:

Salesperson: we find that the implementation phase takes about a month but the tuning of detection rules and alerts takes 3-6 months.

My boss: No problem, we can work that out.

(Kickoff meeting...)

Me: I can handle the implementation, but tuning the detection and alerting rules is over my pay grade. I'm going to need help from legal & risk mitigation & the executive team for that.

(A month later... SpongeBob.jpg)

Me: So, I'm 90% done with implementation but I need help tuning the detection and alerting rules.

(A few weeks later)

Boss: so what's up with the DLP project?

Me: I finished implementation but I need help tuning the detection and alerting rules.

Boss: oh. Maybe I should get legal and risk involved.

Me: uh yeah

(First meeting with risk & legal)

Risk & legal: we don't understand this. Why do we need it? How does it work? What does it do? Wow this is weird. We really don't get this.

Me: facepalm.jpg

(Three more meetings with risk & legal go by)

Risk & legal: we still don't really get it so we're going to assign Chris (their youngest and most tech savvy employee) to play around with it. Can you give Chris a login?

Me: YES! *works with Chris to get him all set up*

(A week later...)

Chris: *resigns*

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I was not ready for the punchline, but I should have been.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So, today's real dumb thing. I'm upgrading/migrating our antivirus server, Trend Micro Officescan. both upgrading the version from an older version to current, and also migrating it from an old multipurpose physical server to a VM.

the easiest way to do it is to upgrade existing server, install second instance on VM, and then you can just migrate the machines over in the gui. if you don't in place upgrade the existing server moving the machine agents over involves command line and logon scripts and lololno.

So, do the in place upgrade, it tells me that the old version is using apache web server, the new one only supports IIS, so it'll move to that for me in the upgrade. Great. get the upgrade done.... and the web console is broken.

Turns out, the reason the web console was broken was because this server also used to be a WSUS server, and for reasons that are beyond me WSUS and Trend Micro don't play nice in IIS together and WSUS hijacks folder permissions from other sites. So I had to go in and manually give the IIS_USRS group read and execute access to the officescan website folder.

Computers suck, technology sucks, companies suck. everything sucks.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    wunderbar wrote: »
    So, today's real dumb thing. I'm upgrading/migrating our antivirus server, Trend Micro Officescan. both upgrading the version from an older version to current, and also migrating it from an old multipurpose physical server to a VM.

the easiest way to do it is to upgrade existing server, install second instance on VM, and then you can just migrate the machines over in the gui. if you don't in place upgrade the existing server moving the machine agents over involves command line and logon scripts and lololno.

So, do the in place upgrade, it tells me that the old version is using apache web server, the new one only supports IIS, so it'll move to that for me in the upgrade. Great. get the upgrade done.... and the web console is broken.

Turns out, the reason the web console was broken was because this server also used to be a WSUS server, and for reasons that are beyond me WSUS and Trend Micro don't play nice in IIS together and WSUS hijacks folder permissions from other sites. So I had to go in and manually give the IIS_USRS group read and execute access to the officescan website folder.

Computers suck, technology sucks, companies suck. everything sucks.

and hence you demonstrated why we do virtualization

Also Trend Micro sent me a promotional spatula

Feral wrote: »

I have so many questions.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar

it was a spatula with their logo on it

Using Powershell to tap into RESTful APIs: civilization, or civilization-est?

@aioua

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Using Powershell to tap into RESTful APIs: civilization, or civilization-est?

aioua

hack the planet, etc

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I just made Prometheus able to trigger Ansible code on alerts.

Self healing infra here we goooooo

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm

that answers almost none of my questions.

that answers almost none of my questions.

It was the kind that you'd use on a barbecue. Metal, with a wood handle. The wood handle was where their logo was engraved.

edited August 2019
    Because with Trendmicro they expect you to need to be able to reach easily into fires.

Seidkona on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Entaru wrote: »
    I just made Prometheus able to trigger Ansible code on alerts.

Self healing infra here we goooooo

This turns me on.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Me trying to learn Kubernetes and Istio at the same time.

lRMVcfy.jpg

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

My oddest promo was from Oracle which was a tablet that ran a three minute ad when you opened it.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I got a two hour tutorial in how to use VMware and some Active Directory stuff yesterday and we're getting our AD server stuff put into the rack and taking over as DNS/DHCP today. I am excited! And nervous I'm gonna break stuff! Looks like potentially jamf school can also integrate with our AD to sort of get the best of both worlds with the AD management and our MDM but I have to figure out how all that works. Goodbye 2011 mac mini, no one will miss you.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    So PowerBi.... that costs quite a bit of coin.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Myiagros wrote: »

but think of how much more powerful your B's and your i's will be.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Go price the other BI tools. They're much cheaper, by far.

lwt1973 wrote: »

My oddest promo was from Oracle which was a tablet that ran a three minute ad when you opened it.

Oracle was trying to recreate the experience of Moses receiving the 10 commandments, but this time with more Larry Ellison.

Update: Server too big to fit in our current weird cabinet.

Solution: Putting server in someone else's office on a nice open air shelf they have. Out of the way, secure, climate controlled, and they're barely ever in the office so the noise shouldn't be a concern. I hope.

SniperGuy wrote: »

Solution: Putting server in someone else's office on a nice open air shelf they have. Out of the way, secure, climate controlled, and they're barely ever in the office so the noise shouldn't be a concern. I hope.

Yes, but what are you going to do when they unplug it?

edited August 2019

That will eventually become a nightmare.

Trust me and work on a better solution.

Seidkona on

Yeah there are about a billion reasons why this is a terrible idea.

You don't need to move it right away, but soonish. Like, in the next year or so

Try to get budget for a better rack

Yeah there are about a billion reasons why this is a terrible idea.

You don't need to move it right away, but soonish. Like, in the next year or so

Try to get budget for a better rack

Yeah that's definitely the plan later on but for now it'll work fine. There's been a big box that controls all the security cameras up there that has survived without being touched or unplugged so I'm fairly confident this one will be safe for the time being.

And the other cabinet is literally in a break room where people eat on their lunch breaks so yeah a better solution will be required in the future.

Okay I need a reality check

There's this idea/rumor/meme/superstition in my company that unapplied Windows Updates (that have been downloaded but not installed) can cause problems.

I think this is crazy talk

There's this idea/rumor/meme/superstition in my company that unapplied Windows Updates (that have been downloaded but not installed) can cause problems.

It is Windows. Simply having it installed causes problems.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Never heard it and can't imagine how. I mean "installed but not rebooted yet", sure. But just downloaded?

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Go price the other BI tools. They're much cheaper, by far.

I don't even know what they do but someone wants the Reporting Server and their only way is through SQL Enterprise fro $50K, or PowerBi Premium at $7k/month. Glad I'm not in charge or proposing that price to my boss.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    I floated the idea of "hey we should move the cabinet out of the break room and into a more secure room" and was then shown a small room we have that was very cold, only accessible by a locked exterior door (kind of weird but whatever, it's locked at all times) and apparently includes the place where our net connection enters the building, but clearly has room for server racks. This seems potentially ideal?

I floated the idea of "hey we should move the cabinet out of the break room and into a more secure room" and was then shown a small room we have that was very cold, only accessible by a locked exterior door (kind of weird but whatever, it's locked at all times) and apparently includes the place where our net connection enters the building, but clearly has room for server racks. This seems potentially ideal?

Yes! I would do what it took to make that happen!

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    What about cooling/ventilation? I know you’re just putting one server in there, but at full load, you might be in trouble.

This discussion has been closed.