As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It's almost like art is subjective or something. :P

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Mozart was at his best as a pre-teen.

Everything he wrote after La finta semplice and Theme and 12 Variations/Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star was shit.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I got really into Tool's 10000 Days while revising for my exams, which fortunately didn't end up with any negative associations. I still spin it occasionally and definitely enjoy it. I dig the new single, though it does take a little while to get going. Tool gonna Tool though.

On a simpler, but no less fun front. Spotify has once again hit on a shiny new band for me, this time in the form of SIBIIR (best said in a bad Russian drawl). Dirty blackened hardcore that makes me want to drink beer and throw myself around a room for funsies. They've got a new single out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z7a-2000T4

and here's an older cut from their self titled album.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTACz4uol-U

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    SIBIIR is pretty cool. Also I didn't get any concerning hits when I googled them!

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    We are a strange group.

No argument there

desc on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'm still fucking mad about Mgla.

FFS.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Everything he wrote after La finta semplice and Theme and 12 Variations/Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star was shit.

You liked his early stuff before he went commercial?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

You liked his early stuff before he went commercial?

Just before he became the Archbishop of Salzburg's performing monkey.

His output started to suffer, compared to when he was just his dad's bitch.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    For me the thing about this new TOOL song is it just...doesn't DO anything. There's no payoff. A big part of what I like about them is that they are usually really good about building a song up to a crescendo but this just sort of...meanders without being memorable or catchy.

Campy wrote: »
    I'm still fucking mad about Mgla.

FFS.

Dude I know right

>:{

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    I'm so happy I caught Bolt Thrower live. Granted I was kinda trashed and aaaaaaaaall the way in the back of the tent, but I was there damn it!

My color is black to the blind
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    one of the main reasons i have remained a devin townsend fan since encountering ocean machine in the late 90s is simply that when i have seen him live he has absolutely nailed the vocal performance

so many metal bands simply cannot replicate vocals that are anywhere near as impressive or accurate as the studio recordings live, especially if they to do a long set, and its rare that the production will allow some of the more subtle elements of their sound to escape

perhaps this is more a symptom of me fundamentally enjoying prog metal and therefore being unkvlt and to be banished to outer darkness and i accept my fate

obF2Wuw.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    one of the main reasons i have remained a devin townsend fan since encountering ocean machine in the late 90s is simply that when i have seen him live he has absolutely nailed the vocal performance

so many metal bands simply cannot replicate vocals that are anywhere near as impressive or accurate as the studio recordings live, especially if they to do a long set, and its rare that the production will allow some of the more subtle elements of their sound to escape

perhaps this is more a symptom of me fundamentally enjoying prog metal and therefore being unkvlt and to be banished to outer darkness and i accept my fate

I agree with the observation, but wouldn't being banished to the outer darkness be pretty kvlt? Obviously I wouldn't know either, but it seems consistent.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I agree with the observation, but wouldn't being banished to the outer darkness be pretty kvlt? Obviously I wouldn't know either, but it seems consistent.

wm3bao0dz5g9.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Seeing... I'm not sure how to put it, really... SYL and Ocean Machine in a goddamn pub - I shit you not - remains one of my weirdest yet awesomest gig experiences. (City being the most recent SYL record at the time, with Biomech out still more recently, of course.)

Basically it was SYL, playing an SYL set and then moving straight into an OM set.

Bloody magical.

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    also i saw casualties of cool live in the uk and they too absolutely knocked it out the park

so really 7 thumbs up all round

also the deluxe edition of that cd has some great bonus tracks especially this one that has a wonderfully sinuous bass that will stay with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irmbfsQ-C6Y

this discussion also reminds me of being invited to a soilwork gig in 2005 and suddenly realising that you can't hear the synth parts live

and i was like... but... i like the synths... :<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Picked up Waste of Space Orchestra on vinyl yesterday. I think this album may be my favourite album of the year.

The new Sunn O))) is pretty great as well, with a really nice vinyl version. Southern Lord puts together a nice package when they do a vinyl release.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i'm excited for the 2nd Sunn O))) album coming out in October too

If this King Diamond, Idle Hands and Uncle Acid tour is real (and it looks to be) I'm going to grab tickets as soon as possible.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    If this King Diamond, Idle Hands and Uncle Acid tour is real (and it looks to be) I'm going to grab tickets as soon as possible.

I’m yes please

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    whoa what

that better come my way

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    *crosses fingers*

Another new Opeth track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMdA7Xs8jE

Once it gets going, I like it better than that first song they released.

edited August 2019
    The new Opeth stuff feels like a natural progression from their last album, so I guess they've settled on their new sound. Heritage and Pale Communion felt like transitional albums to me.

Overall I still think their new sound is mega boring to be honest. I've said it before but you can go to like the progarchives and find several bands that sound kind of like this. But I've yet to find any other band in the last 15 years that scratches that progressive-death metal itch that Opeth nailed so well in the early 'oughts.

The closest I've come is Vinsta. A German ( I think) Solo project:
    https://youtu.be/_dPeFpfYUxA

Dissociater on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The new Killswitch Engage, Atonement is good. I may be showing my metalcore roots but it's as tight as their earlier albums and it doesn't feel like a retread.

And the new Shadow of Intent, Melancholy is an absolute killer slab of deathcore. Maybe symphonic deathcore, but it's definitely worth a listen if you want something like Septicflesh but heavier.

Apparently Cynic is re-releasing Traced in Air with the harsh vocals removed.

Apparently Cynic is re-releasing Traced in Air with the harsh vocals removed.

I've actually never really given much time to any post-Focus Cynic. I have Kindly Bent to Free Us in my library, but I have no memory of ever listening to it.

I liked Traced in Air. To me the clean vocals only work because of the harsh vocals. But I think that about everything...

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The new Killswitch Engage, Atonement is good. I may be showing my metalcore roots but it's as tight as their earlier albums and it doesn't feel like a retread.

And the new Shadow of Intent, Melancholy is an absolute killer slab of deathcore. Maybe symphonic deathcore, but it's definitely worth a listen if you want something like Septicflesh but heavier.

I was jamming Atonement this morning.

"The Signal Fire" is a corker. Only got to the 4th track, but I'll give it a thorough listen tonight.

edited August 2019
    I can’t wait three more weeks for Mizmor

desc on
    Dunno if you guys have seen it yet, but apparently Metallica's been covering a Celtic Frost song during their recent tour, and Tom G. Warrior from Celtic Frost shit all over it saying they butchered it and it was humiliating and that maybe he'd play hit the lights with 200 mistakes on their next tour.

desc wrote: »
    I can’t wait three more weeks for Mizmor

It’s so fucking good

Gilead Media has bee slaying it this summer with the new Yellow Eyes, Falls of Rauros, and then that

Going to catch Mizmor with Hell, I think

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Dunno if you guys have seen it yet, but apparently Metallica's been covering a Celtic Frost song during their recent tour, and Tom G. Warrior from Celtic Frost shit all over it saying they butchered it and it was humiliating and that maybe he'd play hit the lights with 200 mistakes on their next tour.

Lmao that’s rough

I actually really liked that new Shadows of Intent, I've been looking for some good symphonic deathcore since the last couple groups I liked that did it, Lorelei and Ovid's Withering or whatever they are called. This scratches that itch.

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Bat has been slotted for 40 mins at the show so I'm pretty sure they'll be able to play their entire discography.

the new Exhumed single is promising

If i don’t listen to dragged into sunlight for a while I’m like “oh I remember how fucked up they are”

Then I actually put on hatred for mankind and I’m like WHAT THE FUCK I FORGOT

I just looked them up for the first time and according to Wikipedia:
    Dragged Into Sunlight is a British extreme metal band formed in 2006. The band consists of four balaclava-wearing individuals who haven't disclosed their identity, and live they play with their backs to the audience, often accompanied by candles and a single stroboscope for lighting and large amounts of smoke.

This is perfect

Destroy all false metal

This discussion has been closed.