As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    The Jihad-era THR-C4 is fucking disgusting, too. It's got the jump capacity of a medium 'Mech and it loses the AC-20 for a thunderbolt-20 missile system, which is like if an LRM-20 fired one big-ass missile. Hideously vulnerable to AMS but if it hits it hurts.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The Jihad-era THR-C4 is fucking disgusting, too. It's got the jump capacity of a medium 'Mech and it loses the AC-20 for a thunderbolt-20 missile system, which is like if an LRM-20 fired one big-ass missile. Hideously vulnerable to AMS but if it hits it hurts.
    The art for that variant on Sarna it is also less goofy looking
    idgyw9cqrzlz.png

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    How do those feet absorb any shock?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

They were supposed to be wheels, but then the design team ran out of money so they just shaved the bottoms flat and called it a day.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I don't think they make Nike's in her size Ray.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Lostech

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Could be an internal suspension system, ie that the hinge to those feet isn't solidly attached but instead attached to a suspension system.

Also, watched Baradul using the Archer Tempest for some MRM shenenigans. So, is there a hero variant that a. Features ECM that the base variants doesn't have. b. Is also a bad mech?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I think the Archer is unique in being the only variant of a chassis where the hero has ECM and the rest don't. The closest I can find is the Assassin (only one other non-hero variant comes with ECM), and while I don't think the Darkdeath is necessarily bad, IMO it's not worth it over the -21 or -23.

• Options
    Side note, picked up a second BLR-1G (drop deck usage) and ANH-1X (you can't have too many HGR assaults) in the sale.

Considering a second MCII-B or maybe a Blood Asp.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I think the Archer is unique in being the only variant of a chassis where the hero has ECM and the rest don't. The closest I can find is the Assassin (only one other non-hero variant comes with ECM), and while I don't think the Darkdeath is necessarily bad, IMO it's not worth it over the -21 or -23.

Pirate's Bane, Grinner, Ghillie

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Sorry, not sure wtf I was going for with the post, I even looked at those 3.

IMO I think the Ghllie is only okay and Grinner is not necessarily better than a WLF-2.

PB is definitely better than other LCT in the current meta though.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, I was having a problem last night trying to think of any Hero ECM mech that was worse than the other variants (like the Tempest is). But could not come up with any.

The Grinner is good, but not a lot worse than the 2 variant.
    Pirate's Bane is even with the 1E variant.
    Ghillie is so annoying with its stealth armor and a Gauss (actually probably better than the others as a sniper).

I left my Tempest as a LRM 20 raining machine with laser backup just to run with the fatties and keep them under cover. But the MRM idea might be funnier...

Edit: Also it is OOSIK NIGHT! Anybody going to be available for the drop?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The tempest is good. It has limited missile slots, but with a pair of LRM20s or MRMs it's bad ass.

• Options
    MaijinamuroMaijinamuro Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Yeah, I was having a problem last night trying to think of any Hero ECM mech that was worse than the other variants (like the Tempest is). But could not come up with any.

The Grinner is good, but not a lot worse than the 2 variant.
    Pirate's Bane is even with the 1E variant.
    Ghillie is so annoying with its stealth armor and a Gauss (actually probably better than the others as a sniper).

I left my Tempest as a LRM 20 raining machine with laser backup just to run with the fatties and keep them under cover. But the MRM idea might be funnier...

Edit: Also it is OOSIK NIGHT! Anybody going to be available for the drop?

I will try to be on.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm going to be 30,000 in the air when drops begin and my Marauder's in the shop.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I'm going to be 30,000 in the air when drops begin and my Marauder's in the shop.

Then I demand you to start signing Danger Zone out loud when we do drop in our honor.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Got spanked in Liberation: Smithon. Trying some strategic changes. Last attempt I had them whittled down to the Dragon and two damaged and ineffective lighter mechs.

But, at the expense of my two "brawlers."

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    The art for that variant on Sarna it is also less goofy looking
    That's no 'mech, it's from planet Cybertron. How do you not see a Constructicon?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Got spanked in Liberation: Smithon. Trying some strategic changes. Last attempt I had them whittled down to the Dragon and two damaged and ineffective lighter mechs.

But, at the expense of my two "brawlers."

That is a haaaaard mission. Brawlers are pretty ineffective. You need snipers and LRMers, and somebody sturdy to peek out for spotting. Even an overweight mech for the mission like a Thunderbolt is going to get ripped apart. There are too many mechs and turrets so no amount of evasion pips is going to keep enemies from landing some hits on you.

Advice, if wanted:
    • Ignore the ammo trucks. It's just extra cash.
    • You get two free ammo crates explosions - use them.
    • Definitely use more ammo crates if you aren't coasting. It's just some extra cash.
    • There's an ammo crate over on the right that catches two turrets. Blow that one ASAP, whether or not you catch a mech in it. Taking two turrets out of the fight, and having that many fewer things shooting at you and reducing evasion pips is helpful.
    • Kill the Firestarter with extreme prejudice.
    • Don't get greedy with the ammo crates waiting to catch 2 or 3 mechs. If you can take a mech out with a crate, that's one less mech shooting at you.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Oosik Night was a great time. Good matches and quick too. This was a low for us, but the Oosiks carried as much as we could.
    OosikNight01.png

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    A bit more advice in addition to what Iolo said if you want more:
    I find it helpful to split someone off to take out that AC/2 turret off on the left that will plink you if you wander into its range. Which you will do if you're trying to stay out of range of the other turrets in the base.

• Options
    I decided to steal that Wolverine build we saw in the one match with 2xMRM20.

It lets me swap to a LFE280, is much more heat efficient, and I feel more confident in brawling in it since, you know, it's not an XL.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    EDIT - Oops, wrong thread! Clan Invasion kickstarter enthusiasm overflowing... :redface:

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    I will keep those tips in mind. The cool thing is I was able to test out my high-piloting MechWarrior. It was pretty great to have her jump in, take shots, pop Vigilance, shoot again before anyone shoots back, then jump away.

It helped soften up the Firestarter without overheating.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I decided to steal that Wolverine build we saw in the one match with 2xMRM20.

It lets me swap to a LFE280, is much more heat efficient, and I feel more confident in brawling in it since, you know, it's not an XL.

I need to see if I can do something like this with mine.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Will those in-progress miniatures redesigns be shown before the end of the kickstarter, or are people just going to have to buy those add-ons on blind faith that they'll like the way they look?

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Will those in-progress miniatures redesigns be shown before the end of the kickstarter, or are people just going to have to buy those add-ons on blind faith that they'll like the way they look?

Probably blind. They have added a few during the course of the campaign, but it seems to be something that takes a while to produce and I think we're unlikely to see more than one or two more, if that, before the campaign wraps up. Do you like the redesign work they've done on the A Game of Armored Combat, Clan Invasion, and first few unseen?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    So I got two Hatamoto-Chi and have to say they are rather fun to pilot.

The one I used the AC5 quirk and made it into a triple nipple blaster. It shoots relatively fast but I wish I had some arm weapons to shoot down UAVs or brush off a light.

The other is the 2MRM40 Stealth with 2ERSL to shoot down UAVs and brush off a light. But honestly I think I can forego the ERSLs and go with another HS since the 2 MRMs are good enough to scare off lights.

Oddly both are running STD engines to fit everything in there.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Heads up from the Tabletop Battletech thread: The kickstarter has cleared 2,000,000 unlocking the Urbanmech mini (with one going as a bonus to all backers of Warrior tier and up) and the Urbanmech plushy with backers getting first dibs on sales.

Also if you back at one of the high tiers letting you add a character to BT canon, the AMA just revealed that we can form up properly in universe as the Oosik Irregulars:
    If I have a group of players who all pledged canon characters, can we unit into a Merc unit?
    Yes. Fill-out form and affiliation, and say something like 1 of X entries. They will then bulk you all together. This might move you up the list.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/41546340/#Comment_41546340

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Finished out the event by getting a headshot on a Vapor Eagle who was trying to long range duel my dual Gauss Warhammer.

I wasn't specifically aiming for a headshot, but when the damage grid finally flickered up right as he died and I saw the head hitbox missing...

• Options
    Just watched a walkthrough of Smithon and the guy called-shot 3 different CTs in 1 or 2 rounds. I don't think I have that high of gunnery skill on any pilot but I'm going to give it a shot

• Options
    Just watched a walkthrough of Smithon and the guy called-shot 3 different CTs in 1 or 2 rounds. I don't think I have that high of gunnery skill on any pilot but I'm going to give it a shot

Sometimes called shot CT is useful just for the +% to hit, even if your pilots aren't good enough Tacticians to land aimed shots where they're being aimed. For missiles, especially, bumping the chance to hit just straight ups the overall damage that's going to hit.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

It's not Gunnery-based, it's Tactics. Tac6 gives you Called Shot Bonus (which gives you a bit better chance to hit the target location but isn't really useful for headshots yet) and Tac9 gives you Called Shot Mastery (which is ridiculously powerful and gives you like 85% chance of hitting a torso location or 18% chance of hitting the head).

It depends a bit on the weapon used though, LRMs still behave like shotguns and with SRMs (and I think MGs) the given bonus decays per missile/burst so for something like SRM6 the 6th missile will not have much of a bonus to hit the target location, IIRC.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Smithon was the one with the ammo crates right?

My secret sauce for that one:
    Decker in a Dragon. He booked hard left, took out that turret, then took out the ammo trucks as they trundled out while providing covering fire from the left flank. Rest of it I turtled up while Glitch made it rain until they got close enough to an ammo crate and could take several out at one time.

• Options
    On a MWO note: Did the MS European FW drop night as IS and went 4-0.

Frozen City Conquest
    River City Domination
    Grim Plexus Domination
    Emerald Taiga Siege (D)

(Granted, we only won the first one because of caps, they smoked us in kills but we were able to prevent them from running for caps and forced a fight at Theta they couldn't win).

• Options
    I dropped into BT for a few today. So I have a question (still on the Leopard). I just did my first two missions and now have a mysterious mission. Do I keep all the salvage I got while on the Leopard or should I just focus on C-Bills?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I dropped into BT for a few today. So I have a question (still on the Leopard). I just did my first two missions and now have a mysterious mission. Do I keep all the salvage I got while on the Leopard or should I just focus on C-Bills?

Everything gets transferred over, so focus on whatever makes sense for you (probably salvage if you have enough money, money if you're running short and are worried about making the bills)

• Options
    Cool, good to know. I was confused on one mission where they say to take out a Lance. All I got was two light mechs. I'm also guessing that you don't have to pay for ammo refills after each mission?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ammo is free. Consider it lumped in with your monthly costs. If you have a mech you don’t ever intend to use, store it to limit your costs. Note that if you change your mind, it can take awhile to ready it after since you’ll need to re equip it’s weapons.

• Options
    Good. That means I can blast away as much as I want in the beginning.

oosik_betsuni.png