As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If Zarya can be a Tank, I think there's a market out there for small-hitbox Tanks.

Revisiting my last Department of Bad Ideas post, Kupi's Tankification of Mei, Take 2:

- Ice Wall's model is changed to act more barrier-like. The model is transparent so both teams can see through it. Allies may move and shoot through the wall; enemies may not.
    - Ice Block gains two additional functions: it emits an aura out to five meters or so that causes freeze damage (no actual hit-point damage, just the freeze effect), but cannot raise the frozen status past 25-50%, enough to slow the enemy but not seriously disable them. If Mei's health is full, half the health she would have recovered becomes temporary Armor or Overshield.
    - Icicle shots now do something like 60-65 damage, and have dropoff.

Basically: ranged damage down, shielding, snaring, and health up.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWEpjzgMqyU

This is a cool format, it's both cinematic and descriptive of the hero's play style.

Also it seems like matchmaking for this comp season might be kind of a mess. Lots of people only playing it for role queue so they don't have an established SR, especially not per-role. I assume the SR that people settle on here will carry forward though, so it'll sort itself out eventually.

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWEpjzgMqyU

This is a cool format, it's both cinematic and descriptive of the hero's play style.

They've put one of those out for every hero when they hit live.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxdy2SMf9CE

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pLpQwjGAnA

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    well, one thing 2/2/2 didn't fix was DPS failing to switch to hitscan to counter pharah

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    well, one thing 2/2/2 didn't fix was DPS failing to switch to hitscan to counter pharah

only the heat death of the universe will fix that

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    OWL players use the "if I ignore Pharah maybe she'll get bored and leave the match" strategy!

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    At the very least before every now and then a stealth Widow main would flex off from Ana for a bit to deal with the issue. Or literally anyone else willing to flex hitscan.

Lol

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    At the very least before every now and then a stealth Widow main would flex off from Ana for a bit to deal with the issue. Or literally anyone else willing to flex hitscan.

Lol

I've never really been convinced that someone flexing out of their current role to counter [blank] has ever been consistently effective. "Fuck it, I'll go DPS and carry" is a mentality that probably works waaaay less than people would think.

For every stealth Widow main, you've got a dozen folks who aren't actually any better than the DPS you already have, and now not only is the Pharah not countered but you also have less heals/tankiness. So you just lose in a different way. And either that Widow was on Ana because that's what she wanted and now feels like she has to switch, or she didn't want to play Ana in the first place but was filling, so her experience has probably sucked up till then anyway.

Not to mention that the other roles have multiple ways to help deal with a Pharah, no single player can/should be able to counter a Pharmercy, etc.

222 doesn't make it any better, but I'm not convinced it makes it any worse, practically speaking.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    avk9yvas2cg31.png
    Pog

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    leaks???

good thing i've been hoarding my tokens

uc3ufTB.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I JUST SPENT TOKENS ON SOME MORE GZ SKINS DAMMIT

ALSO WINSTON GETS THE BEST SKINS

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Chance should be at least a little happy with this patch.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    My 2-2-2 experience.

A. RN it feels like support is honestly the hardest role to win with for me. Mainly because of the lack of carry potential.
    B. It seems that a lot of people of different skill ratings got stumped into similar ranks. There have been a lot of back and forth stomps but I guess it'll work itself out eventually.
    C. Also hard to test the quality of matches cause a lot of folks have been soft throwing with Sigma. But once his "newness" wears off I'm sure that'll fix itself.
    D. I haven't used a mic in so long I didn't notice my old one was broke. Sucks cause I really need it as I forgot how much situational awareness some people lack.

That said actually getting able to play DPS is fun. I'm not half bad(still can't play snipers though but I am on controllers) but I also see how I can improve. But it does suck when I face people I can tell are using XIM, why I want to switch to PC soon.

Dragkonias on
    Even people with a lot of comp experience could have totally bogus SR right now depending on their role. So I think that's going to take a while to fully sort itself out.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Brig must be glitched cause I somehow got 98% kill pat.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Seagull had 100% kill participation with Brig in a match. I think it's because her armor pack is now a 3 charge HoT and counts as an assist in addition to Inspire being the way it is. So now you can basically perpetually be healing someone.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I remember seeing something about Inspire causing that interaction.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I keep queuing as DPS and keep getting put in as heals.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    oh you have to fucking deselect the previous queue before going to the next.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    My 2-2-2 experience.

A. RN it feels like support is honestly the hardest role to win with for me. Mainly because of the lack of carry potential.
    B. It seems that a lot of people of different skill ratings got stumped into similar ranks. There have been a lot of back and forth stomps but I guess it'll work itself out eventually.
    C. Also hard to test the quality of matches cause a lot of folks have been soft throwing with Sigma. But once his "newness" wears off I'm sure that'll fix itself.
    D. I haven't used a mic in so long I didn't notice my old one was broke. Sucks cause I really need it as I forgot how much situational awareness some people lack.

That said actually getting able to play DPS is fun. I'm not half bad(still can't play snipers though but I am on controllers) but I also see how I can improve. But it does suck when I face people I can tell are using XIM, why I want to switch to PC soon.

I can’t wait for the Sigma newness to wear off. He’s weak to pharah, and the other tank swapping off to Dva means not enough shields, while the sigma lock will never swap.

It puts huge amounts of pressure on DPS to hitscan without tank support. A decent pharmercy usually annihilates a lone hitscan anyway, so one is not enough.

I forgot how hard it is to make your teammates realize that just because the Pharah is annoying you it doesn't necessary make her a priority.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I forgot how hard it is to make your teammates realize that just because the Pharah is annoying you it doesn't necessary make her a priority.

I mean... as a support player, if a pharah is annoying me it sure as heck should be a priority for everyone else because y'all aint getting healed otherwise

I mean... as a support player, if a pharah is annoying me it sure as heck should be a priority for everyone else because y'all aint getting healed otherwise

It depends if that Pharah actually isn't killing anything sometimes your team is better served aggressively pushing into the enemy and putting pressure on her to perform.

sanstodo wrote: »
    My 2-2-2 experience.

I can’t wait for the Sigma newness to wear off. He’s weak to pharah, and the other tank swapping off to Dva means not enough shields, while the sigma lock will never swap.

It puts huge amounts of pressure on DPS to hitscan without tank support. A decent pharmercy usually annihilates a lone hitscan anyway, so one is not enough.

Is he weak to Pharah? At a certain range he can hit her easily. Most tanks actually can't do shit to her.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Sigma can be vulnerable to getting attacked from multiple angles, and guys like doomfist or genji can be good against him, but really he's pretty flexible, he doesn't have much in the way of hard counters.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    He oddly seems effective specifically at medium range, especially against grouped enemies where the AOE effect of his primary fire works:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWUi3DSiiK0

As with most tanks he's fucking deadly at point blank, though boulder really needs a shorter cooldown
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CjfspHYUq4

also, ummm
    did something strange happen with LOS in this patch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G--8ORrjc64

edited August 2019
    Sigma is straight up bad right now. There exists a comp he could be good in, but generally speaking, he'll just get 100% rolled over by Rein/Zarya or full Dive. He only seems to do somewhat decently because enemy frequently also has a sigma, or they are running Bunker which is where he isn't completely shit awful at fighting, but still also disadvantaged because he'll lose shield war.

Brutal J on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    after just playing some mystery heroes, it's still a dumpster fire, but they at least made it so on KOTH maps you get new characters every round, they don't carry over. And they added endorsements to the mode which seems silly because it's just going to come down to who cheeses the most when they stack bastions or torbjorns, if you can remember which player used which hero to help out the most.

initial impressions of the non queue changes:

-Bridget feels like she has to respect DPS now, which fucking finally. But I think the three packs is too much because she can still just turtle with the team like before, either lessen the amount per pack or make it two.
    -Orisa is still too powerful and fake, another second on her shield cooldown or reduce her speed or damage
    -Symmetra's teleport being always on is gonna take some getting used to
    -the new ult decrease across everyone really shows in KOTH, where you don't just have people farming that first fight for an ult and often being able to get one in that fight, so if you can kill one enemy it'll create a better stagger

Didn't play as Sigma because I don't care about him, but his little absorption animation feels like Genji's deflect in that it's not true to what you see onscreen, it should just be right in front of him in like a 90 degree angle but it's almost 180 degrees left to right which annoys me. I do think it was stupid to have him in comp right now, even as it's a beta because the one role queue game I played yesterday, both Sigmas on each team just wrote each other off in terms of being worthless, and it was just a matter of who spammed his primary fire the most.

And I hope Konami sues the shit out of Blizzard for having Sigma steal Colossus' special move power sound effect from the X-Men beat em up arcade game. You can't unhear it, sue for all the lootbox money.

Sigma is not an anchor tank, I think that's the most important point. His shield just isn't good enough to stand on its own - it's pretty small and it combines the slow recharge of Rein's shield with the low-ish health of Orisa's shield. So he's somewhere in the space between anchor tank and offtank. Where specifically that fits in the meta, or whether he's tuned high enough, I don't know. If they want him to be more of an anchor tank they can just tweak his shield parameters.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I already have enough trouble remembering who did what, and I don't play MH

Yeah Sigma can be vulnerable to Pharah in that it's hard for him to block her and the enemy team at the same time.
    Zek wrote: »
    Sigma is not an anchor tank, I think that's the most important point. His shield just isn't good enough to stand on its own - it's pretty small and it combines the slow recharge of Rein's shield with the low-ish health of Orisa's shield. So he's somewhere in the space between anchor tank and offtank. Where specifically that fits in the meta, or whether he's tuned high enough, I don't know. If they want him to be more of an anchor tank they can just tweak his shield parameters.

Yeah I've tried to make him work as main tank and it only kind of works in KotH where your team can quickly reposition.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    One useful trick for his shield is blocking distant windows and doors. If there's a widow or someone up there in a crow's nest, you can seal it off:
    p9h9015bx7cm.bmp
    dqsb8mr09k89.jpg

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    broadly sigmas best tank pairing is orisa

he covers your shield downtime, is immune to pull combos through either toggled shields or shift usage, can combo with pull using rock throw / his aoe damage / his ult, has strong shield pressure and can sub in for you as a temporary shield tank if you get killed

he also gives you the handy option of holding further up temporarily if you have dropped your shield in a more defensive position further back without you having to commit your shield cooldown to a more advanced position

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Sigma's shield is actually about rein sized, just more circular.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    and also 1500 hp ain't nothing to sneeze at

it's definitely the honeymoon period, but I've been watching Emongg do pretty well with him, and Dafran has been absolutely farming by playing him as a soft-flanking semi-offtank

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I know people are trying to say Sigma is weak but he's opening up this new Moira/Torb/Widow shield spam cheap as fuck tactic that is like a new mobile bunker that's really making me wish if they want to keep shoving shields in the game there needs to be damage reduction for the team shooting through it because you're all cowards.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I really like the aesthetics of sigma, even though I'm not that good with him yet.

I really like the new role queueing. I placed 2125 to 2300, with tank at my highest which surprised me. comp overall feels way better to me now, I will probably play it more often instead of just mh or quickplay.

I love the new brigitte. Had some killer placement games with her. One of which I had a card for 98% defensive kill participation! I was slinging those packs out like crazy. Also, her sniper flail feels much better to me now.

That music, it's playing again!

edited August 2019
    I kind of want role queue to come to QP already so I can practice(throw terribly) with Sigma in a more low pressure but structured environment.

Also yeah, like I still get salty but I don't care as much when I lose in ranked anymore. Also, the matches go by way faster now.

Dragkonias on
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I know people are trying to say Sigma is weak but he's opening up this new Moira/Torb/Widow shield spam cheap as fuck tactic that is like a new mobile bunker that's really making me wish if they want to keep shoving shields in the game there needs to be damage reduction for the team shooting through it because you're all cowards.

It's annoying, but it only works because people don't switch to counter. Again Rein/Zarya/Lucio can just run right over it, and with no Hog to really threaten it's pretty easy for them. Also since DPS are still overtuned as all hell, you can still go for shield break and win.

Not to mention Sym exists and is really good against a bunch of shields.

This discussion has been closed.