As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Really important things Canada invented for the rest of the world, you're welcome:
    - poutine, as stated earlier
    - insulin
    - 5-pin bowling, ice hockey, lacrosse AND basketball (go Raptors!)
    - IMAX, available at your local, overpriced movie theatre so you can keep watching those MCU movies and the final-not-final Star Wars episode. With 3D.

And so much more!

Really important Canadian people we thrust upon the rest of the world (you may not be so welcome):
    In no particular order, Alanis Morrisette, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion, Ryan Gosling AND Ryan Reynolds, Seth Rogen, Justin Bieber and Drake. Really awfully sorry about the last two.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    How could you forget Nickelback and Avril Lavigne

Leonard Cohen as well

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Hot take

Five pin bowling fucking sucks

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    SimBen

Thank you

Merci

(Do we need to post in both official languages?)

We don't, but you do.

the french needs to be in double font size

No, that's only for signposts, which are different from forum posts in many respects!

Non, cette règle ne s'applique qu'aux panneaux d'affichage, qui sont différents des messages de forums à plusieurs égards!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Leonard Cohen as well

Was it good or bad that I left them out? I feel like Leonard Cohen deserves a spot in the "honourable mentions", but Avril is pretty divisive, and Nickelback feels like a joke where you maybe liked that one song, before you grew up and got some taste in music.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like maple syrup and the red green show can I be an honorary Canadian.

• Options

Leonard Cohen as well

Was it good or bad that I left them out? I feel like Leonard Cohen deserves a spot in the "honourable mentions", but Avril is pretty divisive, and Nickelback feels like a joke where you maybe liked that one song, before you grew up and got some taste in music.

Avil's grown to be pretty bad and super appropriative, but I can't forget high school when she was like the icon for teens at school. Agree on Nickelbadk, that's just a common canadian band we're blamed for.
    Three Days Grace is also Canadian, same with Billy Talent, though they were much smaller compared to most of those mentioned, but they played a big part of growing up.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'm still gonna vote in this election, even though it doesn't matter in any way thanks Harper you evil wiener thanks Trudeau you fussy baby, because there was a nice Berner at the polling station during the provincial election and I hope to see that nice Berner again.

• Options
    I've never had poutine though, but I'm a babby whom likes ketchup on fries.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

It’s okay to like ketchup on fries, we don’t exclusively substitute poutine for all fries.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I haven't had poutine in a few years.

And even that was just shredded tex-mex cheese and gravy from a packet.

I don't think I've ever had proper poutine.

Probably because I've never been east of Winnipeg.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Maybe a contentious question - which side of the border did you see the falls from?

We saw it from both sides

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I'm still gonna vote in this election, even though it doesn't matter in any way thanks Harper you evil wiener thanks Trudeau you fussy baby, because there was a nice Berner at the polling station during the provincial election and I hope to see that nice Berner again.

I definitely misread Berner in your post, Chico, and I was really worried for a second

But now I'm also crossing my fingers for a good Berner at mine

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hey here's a question, why do all the Canadian hockey teams suck ass right now

I mean, Calgary had the 2nd best record in the league last year, Toronto was 7th, and Winnipeg was 10th and all three made the playoffs.

as for why the others suck:

Vancouver: Jim Benning is a bad GM who still thinks big heavy hockey is a thing that can succeed
    Edmonton: Peter Chiarelli was a very bad GM who still thought big heavy hockey was a thing that could succeed and was also just so, so stupid when it came to making trades
    Ottawa: Eugene Melnyk likes owning a hockey team for the prestige of it, but doesn't actually want to spend the kind of money it takes to run a successful hockey team, so they traded their best players away rather than paying them what they're worth.
    Montreal: Might not actually suck? This time last year I thought Marc Bergevin was Benning-tier bad but he made some good moves and some prospects are turning out decent and it would not surprise me if Montreal actually made the playoffs this year, and could even be a contender in 2-3 years?

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Also I have been to the Falls exactly once, and it was both neat and awful, as I was there for work on a -40 day

The water was all frozen and the walk behind them was VERY COLD and also VERY COOL

Steam
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I didn't know it could even get that cold in southern ontario

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

It’s okay to like ketchup on fries, we don’t exclusively substitute poutine for all fries.

I've been hoodwinked

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I had forgotten this was also Canadian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETCusT5kNM

• Options
    Hit Canadian songs, you say

https://youtu.be/HvtPMIS1ufA

sig.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Berners are democracy fans, it's true.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I didn't know it could even get that cold in southern ontario

it gets that cold in Boston quite often, and we're well south of the falls and near the sea to boot.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Berners are democracy fans, it's true.

If dogs could vote they'd be first in line

Steam
  • Options
    In a stunning upset, “Walk” is elected prime minister!

sig.gif
  • Options
    In a stunning upset, “Walk” is elected prime minister!

though if it was primarily Berners voting, "Cheese" would come in well ahead.

• Options
    What's a Berners' position on people taking vacations?

• Options
    What's a Berners' position on people taking vacations?

"can we come?"

• Options
    I wonder if airlines would let me buy a Berner a plane seat

• Options
    I wonder if airlines would let me buy a Berner a plane seat

If I ever have to fly one of our dogs somewhere long distance, I am absolutely going to find out if this is possible. I've heard too many horror stories about dogs in cargo holds.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I mean, Calgary had the 2nd best record in the league last year, Toronto was 7th, and Winnipeg was 10th and all three made the playoffs.

Vancouver: Jim Benning is a bad GM who still thinks big heavy hockey is a thing that can succeed
    Edmonton: Peter Chiarelli was a very bad GM who still thought big heavy hockey was a thing that could succeed and was also just so, so stupid when it came to making trades
    Ottawa: Eugene Melnyk likes owning a hockey team for the prestige of it, but doesn't actually want to spend the kind of money it takes to run a successful hockey team, so they traded their best players away rather than paying them what they're worth.
    Montreal: Might not actually suck? This time last year I thought Marc Bergevin was Benning-tier bad but he made some good moves and some prospects are turning out decent and it would not surprise me if Montreal actually made the playoffs this year, and could even be a contender in 2-3 years?

Jim Benning is, in my opinion, very good at scouting/drafting but he should not be in charge of signing free agents or making trades.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    We've hit the point of August where the mornings have a little chill to them and the days are actually a nice temperature and I just want the weather to stay this way for a while

I love the late-August/September weather very much, but then October happens and the winter misery starts to set in and I am not ready for it after how long last year went

Steam
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Jim Benning is, in my opinion, very good at scouting/drafting but he should not be in charge of signing free agents or making trades.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Also re: Ottawa's NHL team, Melnyk is just straight up holding onto them until he can make a few extra dollars off the Seattle expansion

He's such an awful guy that his biotech company, which was so unethical there were Netflix specials on it, booted him out

So he's sulking because he didn't get a free arena to move the team into to raise its net value like he'd hoped for the last few years, and is really just hoping to make that last big payout off the Sens before either selling them or holding onto them out of spite

He is currently playing chicken with the salary cap minimum, and just added a player that brings him above it but is so injured that insurance will cover most of his multimillion dollar deal, so the team only has to pay 900k

He is so fucking cheap

Steam
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Let me tell you somethin if I get a choice between sitting beside a human or a dog on a plane I am choosing dog every single time, any dog, a violent murderer dog that will violently attack me if I touch it, I don't even like dogs that much but gimme that dog plane, know what dogs can't do probably a lot of things I guess but most apropos to this discussion they can't TALK they can't fill the air with vapid insidious brain slitherings if they vocalise its just a meaningless barbaric yawp

• Options
    Melnyk is an embarrassment to the league and every week that passes that he is not forced to sell the team is a failure on the part of the commissioner and board of governors. Do you realize how bad someone needs to be for me to feel bad for Senators fans?

to expand on Cello's point, the salary floor, the minimum value of player contracts a team needs to carry is $60.2 million. The Sens are currently sitting at about $65 million in contracts, but because of stuff like the injured player insurance and trading for players after their July 1st bonuses have already been paid, the actual payroll amount for the sens is only $47.5 million. They are making decisions based not on "what will make the team better" but "how can we spend as little as possible while still technically following the rules"

it's pathetic

• Options
    Melnyk is an embarrassment to the league and every week that passes that he is not forced to sell the team is a failure on the part of the commissioner and board of governors. Do you realize how bad someone needs to be for me to feel bad for Senators fans?

to expand on Cello's point, the salary floor, the minimum value of player contracts a team needs to carry is $60.2 million. The Sens are currently sitting at about $65 million in contracts, but because of stuff like the injured player insurance and trading for players after their July 1st bonuses have already been paid, the actual payroll amount for the sens is only $47.5 million. They are making decisions based not on "what will make the team better" but "how can we spend as little as possible while still technically following the rules"

it's pathetic

There's no shortage of people who'd happily support the team, too! But no one wants to go to a game when this guy is the owner.

Every time there's a rumour of a buyout (e.g. from the owner of the Ottawa CFL team, or the guy who owns Cirque du Soleil) it's all anyone will talk about in this city for at least a week

And yet

Steam
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Cello wrote: »

it's pathetic

There's no shortage of people who'd happily support the team, too! But no one wants to go to a game when this guy is the owner.

Every time there's a rumour of a buyout (e.g. from the owner of the Ottawa CFL team, or the guy who owns Cirque du Soleil) it's all anyone will talk about in this city for at least a week

And yet

Suddenly, visions of Cirque performers in hockey gear doing impossible gymnastics involving trapeze and trampolines and no safety nets and scoring goals. The sport of the future.

El Fantastico on