As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    starships and launch pads were scaled up because it turns out with the benefit of depth perception your ship was comically tiny

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Loaded things up.

Hmm... looks like I need to start gathering salvaged tech again to learn power stuff.

-edit-

Also some of my launch pads seem to have moved in weird ways. Time to get to work.

They enlarged the launch pad because.... reasons? Which caused any other launchpads that were too close to get repositioned or eaten.

I ended up having to go to another planet with a less hostile climate than I was on to get some Salvaged Tech, getting power set up now.

Trying to figure out how to get the various tool and scanner upgrades as well.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Got home and Steam decided to schedule the NMS update for tomorrow. Silly Steam.

Fortunately I have 1gb fiber so I'm almost already done downloading not even two minutes later. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Got home and Steam decided to schedule the NMS update for tomorrow. Silly Steam.

Fortunately I have 1gb fiber so I'm almost already done downloading not even two minutes later. :lol:

Whereas when I started the download on my PS4 this morning it said it would take 7 hours on my DSL.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited August 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Loaded things up.

Hmm... looks like I need to start gathering salvaged tech again to learn power stuff.

-edit-

Also some of my launch pads seem to have moved in weird ways. Time to get to work.

They enlarged the launch pad because.... reasons? Which caused any other launchpads that were too close to get repositioned or eaten.

I ended up having to go to another planet with a less hostile climate than I was on to get some Salvaged Tech, getting power set up now.

Trying to figure out how to get the various tool and scanner upgrades as well.

I think I'm going to start a new game; at least to ease myself into the new stuff. I know it shouldn't be super jarring, but I did some stupid shit on my first PC save that wasted an unnecessary amount of time, and even though time played has no real bearing, I'd just assume do things more efficiently.

Namely building a vehicle, the motorcycle ideally, asap because it speeds up travel and farming things (like salvaged tech) immeasurably faster.

Though, my home base did have a healthy amount of bones, so getting money early was trivial, which was nice.

EDIT: I just realized hopefully with the new update finding a random game won't be a 20m affair each time, and "farming" slot upgrades should be relatively painless.

The Dude With Herpes on

furlion wrote: »

Whereas when I started the download on my PS4 this morning it said it would take 7 hours on my DSL.

Oh man, and the best part about PS4 updates is the "copying game files" installation of patches takes twice as long as downloading the damn things!

Bout to load up the game, I'm hoping I get the good end of the luck stick with performance and crashing, that I've been hearing about.

I lucked out incredibly since when they first dropped the Next update it was possible to very easily buy materials to make high level tech stuff. I still have over 300 million after spending a ton on ships.

edited August 2019
    The chugging of the initial starfield when loading is not a good sign!

EDIT: can someone remind me, are all starting planets some level of shit now? I.E. at launch you could get nice pretty lush planets (in fact you typically did), but at some point they seemed to make every one have some sort of hostile element.

Just wondering if I should bother reloading for a better world. This toxic radiation planet doesn't look fun.

The Dude With Herpes on

EDIT: can someone remind me, are all starting planets some level of shit now? I.E. at launch you could get nice pretty lush planets (in fact you typically did), but at some point they seemed to make every one have some sort of hostile element.

Just wondering if I should bother reloading for a better world. This toxic radiation planet doesn't look fun.

I think they have jiggled the odds on the type of planet you spawn on multiple times and I think you are likely to end up on one with at least some kind of issue. Lush paradise worlds are still equally common or rare you just don't spawn on them.

i think they enforce it because hazard protection is part of the tutorial.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    New landing pads for bigger ships are great and all, haven't figured out how to place landing pads anywhere but the ground yet.

-edit-

It is possible, they are just ENORMOUS now.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited August 2019
    how the heck do you scan now? in remap controls nothing is set. I have the scanner thing built, and I thought it was rmb, but nothing seems to open the scanner anymore.

EDIT: oh, F. Was it that before? Oh well.

The Dude With Herpes on

how the heck do you scan now? in remap controls nothing is set. I have the scanner thing built, and I thought it was rmb, but nothing seems to open the scanner anymore.

EDIT: oh, F. Was it that before? Oh well.

You have to use the visor and then hit another button now.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

You always start on a planet with some challenging environmental feature so the game can teach you a few things about surviving. You can reload all you want, but you'll always get some sort of hazard. Best to just get your ship and get off that rock. Reloading won't help.

edited August 2019
    the base increase to mining speed is so nice. I don't even mind the "cheese" with the mining tool heating is fixed because of it.

EDIT: Moving technology is so good guys. You can even move things on ships and multitools.

So good.

Also the general UI changes are nice. Like the inventory being clearer about how to move between inventory/tech/cargo (or that they even exist which wasn't super clear in the past).

The toggling of "hold to use" seems inconsistent though. Some (lots) of things still require holding to use, some don't. I think it might be easier to just leave it on, it's less confusing.

The Dude With Herpes on

LOD changes are all over the freaking place. I've got trees and stuff right in front of me popping in and out of existence as, I assume, the game is trying to replace with different LOD qualities, but not doing it right.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    the base increase to mining speed is so nice. I don't even mind the "cheese" with the mining tool heating is fixed because of it.

EDIT: Moving technology is so good guys. You can even move things on ships and multitools.

So good.

Also the general UI changes are nice. Like the inventory being clearer about how to move between inventory/tech/cargo (or that they even exist which wasn't super clear in the past).

The toggling of "hold to use" seems inconsistent though. Some (lots) of things still require holding to use, some don't. I think it might be easier to just leave it on, it's less confusing.

Having the mining get faster the more heat you have is nice too. You gotta feather the mining beam to try and keep it in the sweet spot if you want to quickly clear out a big cluster of rocks/trees/etc., and not want it to overheat. Very cool.

Also, I'm liking how I can aim and mine in one direction while looking around in VR. It makes me feel less vulnerable since I can see what's around me while gathering.

Oh, oh! I'm also really enjoying the scale of stuff in VR. Built me a tiny shack for the initial base tutorial and it feels really cozy. It's nice just hanging out inside it and feeling safe from the weather outside. Not that this planet has any weather other than the storm the tutorial created to make me need to build shelter, but still. It's nice. I just gotta figure out how to change the color of stuff, by default the tooltip says hit the right trigger, but right trigger is what places an item so I don't know what the fuck.

JtgVX0H.png
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    It will take 1100 power to power my base.

All of my refiners are empty.

And my landing pads are gone.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    it decomposed

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    seems like there might be some bugs to work out. I hopped on just now, got into my ship and half of it was invisible.

Then I went to change the keybindings and crashed to desktop.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    You can MOVE TECHNOLOGY BETWEEN SLOTS WITHOUT DISMANTLING THEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6MlaIe1ljs

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Note to self: don't save and exit game from social hub.

Lots of bugs just from 45 minutes playing. Also 3 crashes. Think I am going to have to give it at least one patch to hop back in. I did get to consolidate all of the crap in my various inventories plus got to take a look at the base tech tree. I will probably give it a week then check the wiki to see what all exactly changed. The patch did fix me being unable to continue with the base archive quest though so that is pretty cool.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The only bugs I've seen so far aren't even really bugs, just visual glitches and stutters when loading the game and when using a station teleporter. Hopefully it'll continue to be this good

JtgVX0H.png
    yeah. only thing i felt the need to report was a huge recurring tutorial prompt to install a module upgrade after it was rewarded to me. i wasn't inclined to install an s-class pulse splitter on a brand new save, but it kept coming back - even when i swapped to my son's creative mode save 🤔

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Consistent crashes are making me wait. That and severe abdomin pain

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    lots of crashes

ugh

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Boy these VR controls suck!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I do not like the VR controls. Will need to work on remapping them when I have the time and energy

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    It's suuper weird that no one caught the VR issues when they were giving breathless previews about how amazing the implementation was. Some of them were VR specific outlets too.

The controls are close to really good, for me, but with a couple of issues. The main one being the HUD not moving with your head -- they seem to want you not to rotate 360 degrees to explore and such, because it only moves if you use the in game turning feature. Something that I try to never use in VR if possible, because if you have head tracking you use the head tracking. The second being not even trying go give basic roomscale support -- it shouldn't complain about me moving when I take half of a step to the left. I wasn't really expecting to walk all around the room, but you have to let me move a little bit without yelling at me.

I overall do enjoy it, but damn someone's gotta fix the UI not moving with you. The manual reset solution isn't even great, because it resets you to the HUD and not the HUD to you -- literally the only way to move the HUD from facing west to facing east is using the right joystick to turn it around.

The "hand oriented" movement isn't my favorite, but I can adjust. I'm pretty sure Natural Locomotion will fix that soon, and most people are bad at direct VR movement out of the box.

Holy crap game, I know I have an upgrade module. Stop telling me every minute.

Focus on actually loading textures instead!

• DacDac Registered User regular

Seriously is there a way to fucking stop this, the pop-up is annoying and gives no clue how to stop it from showing up.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Dac wrote: »

Seriously is there a way to fucking stop this, the pop-up is annoying and gives no clue how to stop it from showing up.

The only way I've figured out is to have no unused tech modules (the ones from vendors) in any inventory, anywhere. Which is impractical, to say the least.

hopefully it's one of the hotfix items.

edited August 2019
    In positive news, the game once again has (granted, minor) hints about where to find creatures in the discovery tab. The system I started in doesn't have any water anywhere, so I don't know if it specifies things underwater, but at least on the lists I have it says rare, common and uncommon; but more importantly it says "base" or "cave". The former seems to imply the thing could be anywhere; the latter means either in a cave, or a location where there is cave "stuff". Basically, if it says cave you should be looking for any terrain at the lowest altitude on the planet you can find, and there'll be the fungus flowers and stalagmites and such littered about. just run around in that area for a bit and those "cave" creatures should pop up. As far as the "base" designation, it doesn't seem to split flying or on ground, so that isn't the most helpful. Still, it's something, and helped me finish a planet I wouldn't have any idea to look for "cave" stuff.

EDIT: to be clear, on all the planets in this system, I've yet to find any creatures actually inside caves; they've all been outside in low altitude areas that have the cave fauna outdoors.

EDIT2: Of course then I immediately find an extensive cave system with two creatures I need inside. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    So the game doesn't work for me now :(.

It crashes on startup, claiming my graphics driver is old. I've updated everything and still no joy :(.

Looking around the internet, it seems like others are getting the same error.

I have an Intel integrated uhd 620. It worked, a little sluggish, but it worked, yesterday.

I think the warning is actually in error, as the numbers in the error message are wrong. The driver does support the correct version of vulkan, according to the driver details that is.

edited August 2019
    remember to report bugs directly to hello games, regardless of the platform you're on. as usual these releases are unstable, but they usually get on the worst of the issues within days rather than weeks (there have already been two hotfixes pushed to steam), and often times the fixes are simple: as an australian i couldn't play after the NEXT update - i'd hard crash every three minutes - unless i changed my ps4 system clock to 2016. it was resolved at some indeterminate point within the first week

hello are a very small team undertaking a very ambitious project, and essentially we are the QA

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    This puts out about 1800 power, enough to keep the lights on all day, but not enough to keep the lights on AND recharge the batteries before nightfall in order to keep them on all night.

Which means I need more power!

If I couldn't buy gold, chromium, and metal plates, from my base market interface, I'd be much more annoyed by this than I already am.

s50boy15asmx.jpg

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I actually like the VR controls, they are pretty simple and im playing sitting down so it seems to work well.

I didn't notice the HUD didn't move with head tracking, but I guess since I'm sitting it was never really an issue. I prefer direct movement and turn with the joysticks, but they should fix that to be bound to head movement.

I'm really enjoying VR so far, made a new character and just landed on the 2nd planet. Coming in for the landing through atmosphere and clouds was amazing.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah, despite my complaints it's still a lot of fun. I feel like they'll eventually add an option for the HUD -- aside from that, even with the performance not being great the game is super immersive in VR. The mining laser feels great, and I like all of the motion controls so far. For some reason I really love the "touch your visor to activate scan mode" thing, and the mode itself feels great despite being extra choppy.

Also, befriending animals in VR is 100% where it's at. They look so happy when you feed them.