As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] The Fantasy of the Final Pirates Day Eight HELLO FELLOW HUMANS

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    Could have been that too, I actually forget that detail.

No, it was perceptive. I found the pm thread. I was analyzing Gizzy, not you.

I got pretty rude when, after laying out the situation, the entire like 5-person alliance we had going wouldn't kill one or the other of us, which I regret.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    At least I successfully prevented JDark from dying day 1.

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »

I didn't realize it at the time but Aura said something about a day 1 guard that should have been a tell, because i was just thinking delayed start for the mafia (especially with no SK kill that night). Something like tech levels having to get to a certain point.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I didn't realize it at the time but Aura said something about a day 1 guard that should have been a tell, because i was just thinking delayed start for the mafia (especially with no SK kill that night). Something like tech levels having to get to a certain point.

I'm not sure I know all the mechanics in play, did I miss a summary?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited August 2019
    kime wrote: »

I'm not sure I know all the mechanics in play, did I miss a summary?

Nothing explicit, just the proboards where you can kind of piece the mafia side of things together.
    For my part, I started with a potion (status ailment heal), I couldn't make them. If anyone else had my crystal ball it let them item seer people. When I had it, I could role and item seer people.

38th said he'd post Host Notes later, after dinner with an assumed human.

JPants on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I'm personally hoping we don't got too many folk worried about legendary whatsists and fancy crowns, as per pm conversations indicate.
    So my CJ Iwakura vote is an attempt to deal with some of these dangerous lazer beamz, or pirate kill abilities.

Why do you think CJ is behind either of those (besides the fact that this is a final fantasy game and they are always evil in final fantasy games)?

Always evil in Final Fantasy games

cj iwakura wrote: »
    For me, the biggest revelation from the results is that Don Carnage is in Ducktales.

Not watching the new Ducktales...truly evil...

LostNinja on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I don't think I've ever survived as an SK. One day...

Probably not now, though, lol.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Wait so were there Warriors of Light, or did ALL THE MAFIA JUST CLAIM THOSE ROLES GAH.

@mrpaku 75% of the people we were talking to were mafia. There was no hope.

jdarksun wrote: »
    Wait so were there Warriors of Light, or did ALL THE MAFIA JUST CLAIM THOSE ROLES GAH.

mrpaku 75% of the people we were talking to were mafia. There was no hope.

Does Burnage not count?

Steam profile

Does Burnage not count?

I mean he was the only one with a WoL role.

My lore assumptions bit me hard this game.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ironically, if Burnage had worked with me more, we might have honed in on more mafia. Might have. I still felt bad offing him, but the reveal shot him to the top of my list.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Ironically, if Burnage had worked with me more, we might have honed in on more mafia. Might have. I still felt bad offing him, but the reveal shot him to the top of my list.

I was pretty suspicious of you in general, but I was actually convinced after I'd died that you were mafia because of this post:
    So, possibilities I see for no mafia kill.

1. It was guarded against. Seems a little unlikely given how many people are down.

2. It was against the SK who has some sort of auto-guard.

3. Burnage punched the mafia in the face and blocked a kill.

Does anyone have an idea who Burnage was targeting last night?

This is my guess. Look at Stuns in the order of actions. He must have got one.

That seems much less cheeky now that I know you were the serial killer :lol:

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

Does Burnage not count?

We all got cover roles,
    Tiamat as thief
    Kary as fighter
    Kraken as red mage
    Lich as black mage

This when you told me "hey, I think all the WoLs might actually be not at all nice people" we promptly put your name into the kill order.

We didn't advertise fighter since it seemed impossible to prove. Obi and I played against each other in case one of us bought it and kept thief around to offer proof later in game while laying kernels that thief was out there.

Figuring the other two WoL would be powerful village we began to ask people to start searching. Then burnage announced he sure liked punching people. Which actually worked well with our bus driver so that was fun for a night.

Bluecyan wrote: »

Does Burnage not count?

We all got cover roles,
    Tiamat as thief
    Kary as fighter
    Kraken as red mage
    Lich as black mage

Jesus

You got cover roles as all the main characters in the game, none of them were actually villagers? :lol:

That would have so convinced me if I weren't getting hit in the head already every day :D

Steam profile
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What would my Forge ability have done? What item did I need?

Also, thanks for running @38thDoe. It was good to have a Phalla going again!
    @AustinP0027

@jdarksun had the mine ability so he could mine the ore and you could craft it.

I was the dwarf understudy so I started without powers but I gained both of your abilities when each of you died.

I was able to mine some Mithril and then I got lynched before I could craft it.

So I understand the frustration with having a crafting ability and nothing to craft with. This is why I took no actions for the first few days, and would have definitely been mafia killed if I claimed I could craft stuff.

Side note: I couldnt take over the drawf king power, so I have no idea what that did, if anything.

Bedlam on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

Does Burnage not count?

We all got cover roles,
    Tiamat as thief
    Kary as fighter
    Kraken as red mage
    Lich as black mage

This when you told me "hey, I think all the WoLs might actually be not at all nice people" we promptly put your name into the kill order.

We didn't advertise fighter since it seemed impossible to prove. Obi and I played against each other in case one of us bought it and kept thief around to offer proof later in game while laying kernels that thief was out there.

Figuring the other two WoL would be powerful village we began to ask people to start searching. Then burnage announced he sure liked punching people. Which actually worked well with our bus driver so that was fun for a night.
    Yeah.

Fuckin told you so.

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    This was a fun game. Thanks for running it @38thDoe!

Gonna point to this game every time a neutral says we shouldn't kill them.

Locus wrote: »

Well, KetBra wasn't bad...

wVEsyIc.png
    This was a fun game. Thanks for running it 38thDoe!

Well, KetBra wasn't bad...

And the person originally saying to kill him was!

Steam profile
    I really was being mostly honest with KetBra and Retaba in my conversations, since they were being very helpful. Aside from the whole 'having to kill everyone to win' bit.

I was going to kill you two last, honest.

wVEsyIc.png
    jdarksun August 8
    I don't know; it depends.

I'm stuck right now because I can't find anybody else who has claimed a Warrior of Light role like Black Mage, so I'm not exactly sure I can trust you.

ObiFett August 8
    thats fair

but also it'd be a super dumb thing to claim knowing that there are more generic roles like dwarf and elf out there

jdarksun August 8
    I found a Red Mage, y'all better not be playing me. :lol:
    This f'n exchange. For clarity, that "Red Mage" i "found" was bluecyan. anybody want to sell me a bridge? now's the time, i'm apparently ready to buy anything :lol:

jdarksun August 8

I'm stuck right now because I can't find anybody else who has claimed a Warrior of Light role like Black Mage, so I'm not exactly sure I can trust you.

ObiFett August 8
    thats fair

but also it'd be a super dumb thing to claim knowing that there are more generic roles like dwarf and elf out there

jdarksun August 8
    This f'n exchange. For clarity, that "Red Mage" i "found" was bluecyan. anybody want to sell me a bridge? now's the time, i'm apparently ready to buy anything :lol:

100% how I feel after this game!

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    jdarksun August 8

ObiFett August 8
    thats fair

jdarksun August 8

This is when I knew you needed to die. Also, I started talking about how all the mafia surely can't be in a single bucket of roles since that would just be too easy to find us...

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I really was being mostly honest with KetBra and Retaba in my conversations, since they were being very helpful. Aside from the whole 'having to kill everyone to win' bit.

I was going to kill you two last, honest.

Yeah, by the last day I had you figured for the SK, but it was kind of too late to do anything about it

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

look if you want to point to a game where I was BSing as a neutral, just look at this one instead

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    jdarksun August 8

ObiFett August 8
    thats fair

jdarksun August 8

In my defense, I told you Obi was lying and was probably mafia. Shame you didn't believe me on that though.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    jdarksun August 8

ObiFett August 8
    thats fair

jdarksun August 8

In my defense, I told you Obi was lying and was probably mafia. Shame you didn't believe me on that though.

Geez dude, you were selling me out all over the place

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting ,38th! I didn't do very well , but was fun.

Hey! It's one of the first times I was actually right on my mafia accusation.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

If they always broke for village they would be village not neutral!
    KetBra wrote: »

look if you want to point to a game where I was BSing as a neutral, just look at this one instead

Oh that was the game I defaced some starwars stuff for reasons which are unclear to me in the present.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'm personally hoping we don't got too many folk worried about legendary whatsists and fancy crowns, as per pm conversations indicate.
    So my CJ Iwakura vote is an attempt to deal with some of these dangerous lazer beamz, or pirate kill abilities.

Why do you think CJ is behind either of those (besides the fact that this is a final fantasy game and they are always evil in final fantasy games)?

Always evil in Final Fantasy games

For me, the biggest revelation from the results is that Don Carnage is in Ducktales.

Not watching the new Ducktales...truly evil...

If you know someway to watch that without having some kind of Disney subscription please tell me! I really want to watch that show based on what I've heard/seen. (I did watch that free episode on youtube)

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Host Notes:

Well I got the idea for a Final Fantasy 1 game in my head and decided to go with it. The only problem is with kids it seems really hard to anything on the weekend and at night without keeping me up too late. I could get a cohost to do narration and pms at closing time 3-5 days a week but at that point they are pretty much doing all the work for me. Writing narration/roles/pms is probably my favorite part of the game too. Just don’t ask me how long I spent writing that Yoda/Lola rip off. I’m curious if people are okay with more games at this time slot or would prefer I outsource most of the game work. The engagement this game was pretty good. 7 inactive marks over 7 days with 24 people with a rough close time for many people so I am pretty happy about that. I completely understand if something real life comes up that has to take precedence and I bear no one ill will about that.

So the reason this game ran as Pirates instead of Final Fantasy One is that the pirates were going to be the original mafia until the game traveled into the past where the focus would swap to the fiends and garland. So the first day or so might be a red herring although reveal valuable information and soft networking. Then we didn't get quite enough signups to have 5 mafia. So Garland got cut because it felt weird to only have 3 fiends and time travel got cut. Pirates remained as Masons. Also cut the Vampire even though I really wanted him in play. Oh well. Turns out there are a lot of interesting characters in Final Fantasy 1 anyways.

2 Pirates Masons
    4 fiends group kill 1 could pm, one could steal, one could pit one player against another, one could disguise alignment and role temporarily.
    3 kings +1 vote
    1 seer
    1 guard
    1 death seer
    1 black belt who could stun
    3 Sages who could PM
    1 Bahamut who could buff any target
    1 Dwarf Smith could make vig+guard
    1 Dwarf Miner could mine ore and RUBY
    1 Dwarf Apprentice could inherit any dead dwarf position
    1 witch needed crystal to win, crystal became seer, started with one status cure
    1 dark elf needed any crown to win, could seer with the crystal items, put someone out of the game with a sleep poison.
    1 titan who needed RUBY by the end of the game to win, could stun. Although it wasn't stated holding the crystal ball would have seemed rubyish enough to you to win.
    1 Warmech human who could PM, self guard VIG once, and roleblocks. And of course, a human laser. Do you not have a human laser? Me either…

So the village had a decent amount of abilities but had some rotten luck with Vig killing the guard, promotion getting blocked by the black belt, and forge unable to make a connection with the miner. The village also had +4 votes in total. Most of these fell outside of the village with death though since the village didn’t have a kill much of the game. (Although the +1 vote ability of the crown was only usable by villagers) Maybe I should have had a village janitor cleaning up all dropped items.

I think it was more balanced than the FFIV game, at least so at least I’m moving in the right direction. (If you agree with this I guess heh)

I appreciate all the feedback. I had fun running a game again and may try and do another one before my birthday. I thought about doing FFVI but I think I wouldn’t want to run that one this small so maybe its too big an ask right now. I always wanted to do a Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood game but that would also need to be a sprawling battle game. I’m not sure I could do an Earthbounud or Chrono Trigger game justice.

Thanks for playing everyone!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Your theme ideas are awesome haha.

I don't mind that vote close. It was fun, except for Burnage

Steam profile
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    If the village and CJ hadn't done such a good job of eliminating or neutralizing the town't stronger options the first couple days we'd have been boned.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Yeah, this could have gone a completely different way: promoting villagers, multiple village/guards/seers. Though, a seer early game would have been so confused by all the different role colors.

Out of the 5 PM networks: one was mafia, one was WarMech, Two had included mafia members and the one that was purely village got lasered pretty early. The fact that all mafia had a similar unique cover role probably would have been a big issue after the second mafia death too.

Yeah, but also I feel like mafia in a one elf, one dwarf, one human, one WoL format is pretty annoying in a meta sense. Purge each group till you get your mafia. There were more generic WoL but they got cut. I hate cutting roles.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Yeah, this could have gone a completely different way: promoting villagers, multiple village/guards/seers. Though, a seer early game would have been so confused by all the different role colors.

Out of the 5 PM networks: one was mafia, one was WarMech, Two had included mafia members and the one that was purely village got lasered pretty early. The fact that all mafia had a similar unique cover role probably would have been a big issue after the second mafia death too.

If I had to hazard a guess then there would have been quite a lot of villager pushback against this idea. "All of the theme's protagonists are actually cover roles for the mafia" isn't exactly intuitive even if there's good evidence for it.

Burnage wrote: »

If I had to hazard a guess then there would have been quite a lot of villager pushback against this idea. "All of the theme's protagonists are actually cover roles for the mafia" isn't exactly intuitive even if there's good evidence for it.

Especially when you're right there as a counterexample.

Steam profile
    edited August 2019
    Burnage wrote: »

My concern, with Fighter as cover, was that people would conclude I ought to have a kill and insist I prove it. The others were a bit less risky, but still tough to prove besides thief.

E: Jesus this new phone keyboard.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png