As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Always been partial to the Lancia Stratos Zero

VfIqdkY.jpg

hC2F4Rn.jpg

Hit a pedestrian and they slide right into the mandoline, making thousands of julienne fries.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    All the talk about Ferrari being d-bags to an owner, and the name of the car is the "Superfast."

Next up, the Ferrari McFerrariface.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    All the talk about Ferrari being d-bags to an owner, and the name of the car is the "Superfast."

Next up, the Ferrari McFerrariface.

Do you mean the Ferrari "La Ferrari", literally the Ferrari "The Ferrari"?

LaFerrari_in_Beverly_Hills_14563979888-604x270.jpg

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Always been partial to the Lancia Stratos Zero
    VfIqdkY.jpg

hC2F4Rn.jpg

Hit a pedestrian and they slide right into the mandoline, making thousands of julienne fries.

How did that slip my mind. Thanks! Yes!

edited August 2019
    Moving on to 1979... Aston Martin Bulldog:

xhpsh8hq59it.jpg

5ris70xdecsl.jpg

And what's that one in the background?

Jazz on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Getting closer to De Lorean. Actually accessible too.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Lotus Esprit for wedge car that actually works.

edited August 2019
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Lotus Esprit for wedge car that actually works.

Love the Esprit. Gorgeous car.

Now I'm thinking about James May's one (a V8, no less) from the ill-fated Top Gear Patagonia special. RIP, HMS Norfolk, you magnificent machine.

In real world news, my XF has just had a service today and the garage discovered that the car's DPF is getting too full. The car, unhelpfully, had not yet informed me of this. (It is doing now.) So now I need to see if it will regen on its own (with a good long drive to hopefully get it to do it, as the car has no way for you to just manually trigger it), and if not, it faces a forced regen or a clean - both at varying levels of expense.

It's my own fault, I do too many short journeys and not enough long ones; anathema to a diesel car. Which, unless my usage habits change, means I probably need to look at selling it while it's still worth anything and going back to a petrol car.

Sad face.

Jazz on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Moving on to 1979... Aston Martin Bulldog:

xhpsh8hq59it.jpg

5ris70xdecsl.jpg

And what's that one in the background?

I am 100% certain I have seen the car in the background before, and it's bugging the hell out of me that I can't remember where or what it is

• Mr WonderMr Wonder Registered User new member
    It's the Vauxhall SRV (Styling research vehicle). Had a few unusual features most notably instruments in the doors, similar to the Jaguar XJ220, and a complete lack of drivetrain.

Aww. It deserves a drivetrain. Even just one to let it pootle around.

A better look:

cxd6rnkwibz9.jpg

25fxwtxrvxhf.jpg

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And someone has crashed the new Corvette.

https://youtu.be/jTcjSyujMU8

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Not even in production yet. Probably some auto blog doing a piece on it, going by the roof-mounted camera. Took the curve too fast and hit two oncoming cars. Someone's losing their job...

nibXTE7.png
    I thought it had manufacturers plates on it. Might be a employee of GM.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I like how someone put it, that they probably ran out of skill and went into oncoming traffic.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Can we talk about how Chevy is like "fuck it, we're making a super car for 80k"

2020-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-with-c6-grand-sport-chrome-wheels_100710756_h.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I like how someone put it, that they probably ran out of skill and went into oncoming traffic.

I don't think there are too many people with the skill to really push a ~500hp car close to the limit and not eat it. At some point the amount of power in these things becomes a stupid numbers/status game.
    If I ever got something like that I think I would be afraid to get it anything more than 1/3rd throttle. D:

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    With modern suspension and tires, 500hp isn't nearly as wild as you think. Even on a tight autocross circuit you can go full throttle without spinning the tires, the trick is to roll into the throttle and not pin it.

These guys were doing something stupid.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Someone's losing their job...

Nah. An Aussie motoring journalist named Peter Robinson binned a Ferrari in Italy while he was there reviewing the new Ferrari, at Ferrari's expense. In the 90s. He kept his job. Of course, Ferrari weren't too keen on him for the next decade and a half or so, but he's been back to Maranello on Ferari's dollar since.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Back when I worked in commercial insurance, I did an analysis piece on the principal risks of insuring supercars.

The context was that the company was considering issuing a fleet policy for a business that was effectively a supercar timeshare - customers bought in and were awarded points that they could spend to have the use of the cars in the fleet, with a pseudo-market structure. High demand cars cost more points per day, so the same points might get you a week in an M5 vs a day in a Murcielago.

The main thrust of it, based on the claim records we had for other supercars we had covered, or had come under our cover, in the past was that the vast majority of accidents they were involved in occurred when they were being driven by someone other than the owner or main driver - it was when they let their friend drive, or they left it with a mechanic who was "road testing" it, or their spouse borrowed it instead of their own car, or whatever. I remember reading some of the statements and strongly getting the impression that people were tempted to put their foot down just to see what would happen.

That said I would have thought motoring journalists should know better (although they are their own excessively high risk occupation category).

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

2020-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-with-c6-grand-sport-chrome-wheels_100710756_h.jpg

Even better, under 60k (US).

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Well I keep seeing it as STARTING AT so I assume you need to pump a bit more into it even to get to something you can drive off the lot.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Back when I worked in commercial insurance, I did an analysis piece on the principal risks of insuring supercars.

The context was that the company was considering issuing a fleet policy for a business that was effectively a supercar timeshare - customers bought in and were awarded points that they could spend to have the use of the cars in the fleet, with a pseudo-market structure. High demand cars cost more points per day, so the same points might get you a week in an M5 vs a day in a Murcielago.

The main thrust of it, based on the claim records we had for other supercars we had covered, or had come under our cover, in the past was that the vast majority of accidents they were involved in occurred when they were being driven by someone other than the owner or main driver - it was when they let their friend drive, or they left it with a mechanic who was "road testing" it, or their spouse borrowed it instead of their own car, or whatever. I remember reading some of the statements and strongly getting the impression that people were tempted to put their foot down just to see what would happen.

That said I would have thought motoring journalists should know better (although they are their own excessively high risk occupation category).

Doug DeMuro did a video about his production setup, and one thing he talked about heavily was having an insurance policy for when he took the cars out,and how that protects both him and the owner. (Unsurprisingly, he had an easier time getting the policy in Southern California than he did in New Jersey.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Well I keep seeing it as STARTING AT so I assume you need to pump a bit more into it even to get to something you can drive off the lot.

Well Yea im sure there are going to be fees, but not 20k worth. Also the base model is still well equipped so it shouldn't be a punishment driving one.

$59,999.99 is under $60k but you sure as hell aren't getting it out of the door at that price.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I’m talking them down to $65k. Wait.

Update on the XF's DPF. It is now down from 40% (which is the threshold for the warning light) to 14%. I am reliably informed that this is very good.

I'm still mulling over selling it. Even though its replacement would more than likely be a step (or more) down. All I'd really have to spend is whatever I could get for the XF itself.

edited August 2019
    Yep officially priced at 59995 including destination charge for the base model. So I imagine a person could get one off the lot for under 65k once the initial hype and overcharging goes down. So maybe next year since this first batch is almost completely pre-ordered already.

Nice thing is the premium models currently just have nicer interiors, so no performance sacrificed getting the cheap one.

webguy20 on
    I swear in the aughts that you could get a C7 Corvette for like $35-40k. Barebones, of course. But standard model with manual transmission and no radio. I think that was geared towards people who wanted it to be used on a track only, so they didn't want the extra stuff to remove, like the entertainment options.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I swear in the aughts that you could get a C7 Corvette for like $35-40k. Barebones, of course. But standard model with manual transmission and no radio. I think that was geared towards people who wanted it to be used on a track only, so they didn't want the extra stuff to remove, like the entertainment options.

Ahh, those heady days with 5 cent candy bars and books for a quarter.....

Nova_C wrote: »

Ahh, those heady days with 5 cent candy bars and books for a quarter.....

I'm talking this century!

My gf had a deal where I can't get a cat unless I get her a Corvette first, so I was looking into what was the cheapest new Corvette I could get at the time, and you could get some really bare stuff from the factory a decade ago!

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Cheapest modern Vette would have been the C5 FRC in 1999 and 2000. It was a precursor to the C5 Z06, costing $38,777 (about $1k less than the standard coupe). At that price it included the Z51 performance suspension, a manual transmission, black interior, and your choice of 6 colors. Auto trans and most other options weren't available, but it still came with the standard radio/power windows/power locks.

Punching that number into the inflation calculator tells me that's equivalent to $58,446.40 in 2019 - practically dead on with the base C8.

mRahmani on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    A base C8 with the Z51 package and magnetic ride control is $66,890 before any other taxes and fees, and that doesn't seem too bad?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    A base C8 with the Z51 package and magnetic ride control is $66,890 before any other taxes and fees, and that doesn't seem too bad?

It certainly may make budgeting for my midlife crisis in the next decade more manageable.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    So I just took a vacation to New Orleans with a side trip to Biloxi, so I had to rent a car. A Kia Forte to be exact. And it was... Not bad? I mean, it was basic transportation but if that was what I was looking for, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it because it wasn't a Honda or Toyota. But it's funny how easy it is to get used to a new car, because once I got home to my own car, it was a lot louder than I remember and clutch modulation took a bit to get back to where it was.

Kias are basically on par with Japanese cars these days.

• John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular

I... what?

I... what?
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I had to rent a car. A Kia Forte to be exact. And it was... Not bad? I mean, it was basic transportation but if that was what I was looking for, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it because it wasn't a Honda or Toyota.

What's the confusion?

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Is that more a testament to Korean engineering, or maybe more because of Japanese... boringness?

Number One Tricky
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Is that more a testament to Korean engineering, or maybe more because of Japanese... boringness?

I think there was a period of time where Toyota was p boring, but I'm not sure they are anymore. Were the other makers ever all that boring?

I can tell you that my Infiniti is anything but boring.