As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Let me check under here, oh look what I found from a week or so ago...
    Veevee wrote: »
    If Albon and Gasley dont switch cars by the end of the season I will be shocked.

If anyone wants some lotto numbers, too bad, they're mine.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    OK - so here we have a few pictures of last weekends Oldtimer Grand Prix at the Nürburgring. Spoilered for big.
    mtct4z7ows3p.jpg
    ju80gulhdbti.jpg
    ukj699xwjoqi.jpg
    fx34sgdp6nm5.jpg
    hssa4eub28ym.jpg
    mjczoldpv54m.jpg
    6ooc1uh8x41v.jpg
    61f57beu6tzs.jpg
    fwdfv3lwcfny.jpg
    lntczh3by0x7.jpg
    e324nuavfml5.jpg
    i9z9b961wi0y.jpg
    82htfp49puqg.jpg

Final shot of the weekend, last race Saturday night. Sun has already set, but its a beautiful night.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Every now and again, there is a rare post that I wish I could awesome more than once.

And that there is one of them.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Red Bull driver program has been very successful, but at some point they're going to have to admit it has its limits and bring in someone from outside. It's brought through some top quality drivers but not at sufficient rate to make up for departures. Vettel going was mostly fine because the car was shit then anyway, Kvyat wasn't too bad, and Verstappen was able to be rushed through to replace him anyway. Then Ricciardo goes and having already rushed Verstappen through they try rushing Gasly through and it didn't work. Now they're trying to rush Albon through hoping that will go better.

If they'd managed to keep Ricciardo they'd be second in constructors now. Would be second or at least closer to second if they'd put Kvyat or a driver from outside the program in the second RB, but both of those options are probably too close to admitting failure for Helmut Marko's ego. Honestly I was shocked they even admitted how short on drivers they were by bringing Kvyat back to TR.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I think you're spot on about Marko's ego there. They must avoid having to go "whoops, we got that wrong" at all costs lest it reflect badly. Bringing Kvyat back to TR (not that he doesn't deserve it, he does) was as close as they'd get to implying it, and the shortage of drivers in their pipeline.

Although I'm sure Horner will have a fun time explaining what happened when we get to Belgium.

Jazz on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I think you're spot on about Marko's ego there. They must avoid having to go "whoops, we got that wrong" at all costs lest it reflect badly. Bringing Kvyat back to TR (not that he doesn't deserve it, he does) was as close as they'd get to implying it, and the shortage of drivers in their pipeline.

Although I'm sure Horner will have a fun time explaining what happened when we get to Belgium.

Horner explaining things that he doesn’t want to but is clearly contractually obligated to is one of the highlights of every race weekend.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Horner explaining things that he doesn’t want to but is clearly contractually obligated to is one of the highlights of every race weekend.

Whatever do you mean? :tell_me_more:

This is obviously the face of a man that loves what he does
    lyj9jywnmb1z.jpg

Edit: Spoil'd the image, didn't realize it was so large.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Horner loves the sport, his passion is obvious. Whether that passion is always directed appropriately is another question, them losing Danny last season over what was clearly a personality conflict being the best example I can think of.

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    Thing is, after Danny left their next best driver was quietly let go from the Red Bull stable - Sainz. It was obvious they decided that Max is the Chosen One and the conflict the two of them had at TR was something they didn't want to rekindle. However, Max/Carlos would have clearly been the best lineup in a post Danny world.

Personally, I think it just confirms Ricciardo side of the Red Bull story, that he was second fiddle - even though he clearly wasn't actually second best at all. The same thing happened with Sainz btw, ok, only one could be promoted, but Sainz was matching Max in the TR and he's done well in inferior cars - I still think he's the real deal. However, at the end of it is that they have lost 2/3 of their best drivers since Vettel came through, so something about eggs and one basket springs to mind.

They could have managed this a lot better.

• Options
    I really hope Albon does well consistently if only so it pushes Ferrari to third in the constructors’ championship.

• Options
    I really hope Albon does well consistently if only so it pushes Ferrari to third in the constructors’ championship.

They could use that serving of humble pie.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So I bought a Thrustmaster T150 Pro Wheel today and just had a few laps around various tracks with that in Project Cars 2.

Holy Forcefeedback, Batman. Getting used to that thing is not easy. Although at first glance it makes driving much easier, as I don't have to do those jerky moves with the controller, never really knowing when the back of the car gives out. It is way more intuitive, but also way harder. I'll have to fiddle with the settings a bit.

And I need a wheel stand. I have mounted it to my desk now, with a 23'' computermonitor in front of me. But I have a 55'' screen in my living room and I want to use that with the PS4 (as I have been for the past 2 years).

Also - I use the pedals like in a normal car, meaning I only ever use my right foot, as I do auto clutch the whole time. Should I try and use both feet?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So I bought a Thrustmaster T150 Pro Wheel today and just had a few laps around various tracks with that in Project Cars 2.

Holy Forcefeedback, Batman. Getting used to that thing is not easy. Although at first glance it makes driving much easier, as I don't have to do those jerky moves with the controller, never really knowing when the back of the car gives out. It is way more intuitive, but also way harder. I'll have to fiddle with the settings a bit.

And I need a wheel stand. I have mounted it to my desk now, with a 23'' computermonitor in front of me. But I have a 55'' screen in my living room and I want to use that with the PS4 (as I have been for the past 2 years).

Also - I use the pedals like in a normal car, meaning I only ever use my right foot, as I do auto clutch the whole time. Should I try and use both feet?

Yes on both feet, but do try to minimize pushing both at the same time. Sometimes it's ok for small corrections, but if you abuse that you only wear the brakes and waste gas.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Yes on both feet, but do try to minimize pushing both at the same time. Sometimes it's ok for small corrections, but if you abuse that you only wear the brakes and waste gas.

I'm no master racer by any stretch, but I think left-foot braking for circuit racing is used (if you're using a clutch) to like, trim the front of your car in during higher speed corners, a little play here and there

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »

I'm no master racer by any stretch, but I think left-foot braking for circuit racing is used (if you're using a clutch) to like, trim the front of your car in during higher speed corners, a little play here and there

If you mean trail-braking, then yeah. That's a good technique to learn and master.

And sometimes you'll start breaking just a bit earlier while you still have some throttle on, etc. What I mean is that, specially in performance racing cars, you'll end up cooking your brakes if you abuse braking while on throttle.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    there's no reason to rip on red bull for being inconsistent...

gasly was horrible. but at the same time red bull is a decent enough group that they're not going to shittalk their driver *while* he's still in the seat (unless that driver is Mark Webber, omegalul). they gave him wayyy more than enough opportunity to get his act together

but there's real cash money on the line and they'd be throwing it away by letting him continue

i'm not sure why they picked Albon over Kvyat though... but I haven't been playing super close attention to the results

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I forget if it was Motorsport, Autosport, or Racefans but they speculated that the choice of Albon over Kvyat came down to having already had his chance and Albon being the less experienced driver showed more potential over a known quantity (he's overall as good if not better with less experience). Kyvat is also a viable, experienced backup in case Albon ends up being as mediocre as Gasly.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I would have gone with Kvyat precisely because he is a known quantity. They need someone who can act as rear gunner and help them secure second place overall, and Kvyat is already there. Albon is a gamble that might pay off, but it might also burn him like Kvyat and Gasly.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Kvyat Mark 2 seems like a well reformed driver. He's made some quality moves this year

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I picked up Motorsport Manager Mobile 3 on the Play Store the other day. I had one of the Motorsport Manager versions on PC and found it frustrating. All the setup options didn't make sense, and it seemed to be totally random if you could improve a setup or not.

However, I cannot stop playing the Mobile 3 version. It is so good. Race setups are now managed through resources with a risk/reward mechanic that is very clear.

It's only $6 and worth several times that.

I just got some free credit from my mobile carrier to use on Google Play, and in the price range this was basically top of my wishlist, based entirely on your write-ups of it. So I've picked it up now for effectively free!

Although I have MM on Steam, I've not played it (backlog backlog lol). But although I am terminally shit at management games, I'm looking forward to giving this one a shot soon.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm still playing it! I started a new career with the difficulty maxed out and it's more fun - you have to work your way up the field every time you advance a tier.

This time, though, instead of starting with open wheel, I'm going to go through all the championships and eventually end up with the WMC. Gotta get that cheevo.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Some nice barely in control rally highlights plus a monumental crash.

Crash & Show Barum Czech Rally Zlín 2019 [Passats de canto]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-P7mgNRf4U

• Options
    MotoGP 17 is on a pretty good sale on Xbox Live. Worth picking up?

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Gosh it's been too long since I've done any sim-racing, my knee-caps are feeling pretty tender! *phrasing*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the diffuser is enormous

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    the diffuser is enormous

A phat ass is a fine ass, my friend...

• Options
    Now, you might wonder just what in the fuck I think I am doing by posting a video about an old home audio system in a thread about Formula 1 racing in an on-topic forum (shut up it's a very interesting video anyway), but there's an audio recording of a radio news report about the 1977 Belgian grand prix race at Zolder (Gunnar Nilsson's only career F1 win) played at the end over the channel's patreon credits. Skip to 29:14 to hear the audio if you'd rather not watch the whole video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE2GEmHque8

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    With the summer break nearing an end, there are a load of rumours flying around. I'd expect to hear more in the run up to Spa next week. What I've heard so far:

Bottas has kept his seat for now.
    Renault are looking at getting Ocon.
    Hulkenberg would be jettisoned, perhaps going to Haas.
    And, as a far out there option, Vettel is looking at heading back to Red Bull.

I can certainly see the Bottas thing happening, even if his performance leaves much to be desired. They just don't have a solid replacement yet. Both Ocon and Russell need a bit more time on track while Bottas is a known quantity.

If Renault are taking on a driver, Hulkenberg would be the guy getting booted unfortunately. Not due to performance, which I think ahs been pretty much ok?, but they're hardly going to get rid of Danny Ric anytime soon. I can see the appeal of a move for both Merc (Ocon gets a seat) and Renault (they get a French driver, probably at low rate).

The Vettel one seems purely speculative though.

At any rate, it's always a fun time of the season for rumours!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Hm. The Vettel thing seems unlikely. Verstappen has his best years ahead of him still, and is one of the most talented drivers on the field. Vettel has been inconsistent for a while now, but is still capable of a championship.

Would either tolerate playing second fiddle?

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Vetel too Redbulls you herd it here first

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Vetel too Redbulls you herd it here first

Honestly he probably will if they can't win this weekend...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Confirmations starting to roll in. Bottas gets another year at Merc, Ocon gets a Renault seat, Hulkenberg is out.
    Also confirmation of a 22 race season next year. Losing Germany to make it happen which is a bit ridiculous considering how important Germany has been throughout F1's history.
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.record-breaking-22-race-f1-calendar-set-for-2020.7vdbREiAYJKP5Ey8whglC2.html

• Options
    That's a shame for Hulkenberg, but with any luck he'll land on his feet, probably at Haas. Which, given the disappointment of this year's Renault car, is basically a sideways move - not that Haas have exactly got it right this year either but that's mostly problems with upgrades, not the base car. But I'd be floored if Haas kept both Grosjean and Magnussen for 2020. Hell, they might get rid of them both. Either way, Hulkenberg is the obvious choice to replace one of them.

Good for Ocon, though. He deserves a seat, no question.

Losing Germany is awful, but it's dropped off the calendar and bounced back onto it before. Most of the current issues are finance related, though. I hope it comes back soon in some form. I really liked when it alternated between Hockenheim and the Nurburgring.

• Options
    That's a shame for Hulkenberg, but with any luck he'll land on his feet, probably at Haas. Which, given the disappointment of this year's Renault car, is basically a sideways move - not that Haas have exactly got it right this year either but that's mostly problems with upgrades, not the base car. But I'd be floored if Haas kept both Grosjean and Magnussen for 2020. Hell, they might get rid of them both. Either way, Hulkenberg is the obvious choice to replace one of them.

Losing Germany is awful, but it's dropped off the calendar and bounced back onto it before. Most of the current issues are finance related, though. I hope it comes back soon in some form. I really liked when it alternated between Hockenheim and the Nurburgring.

I’m not sure how to agree much more vigorously with this post. We should get a drink some time Jazz.

• Options

I’m not sure how to agree much more vigorously with this post. We should get a drink some time Jazz.

I'm up for that!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Yeah Haas could really solve their problem with their drivers wanting to kill each other by replacing Grosjean with Hulkenberg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21T8d0SA5Js

EDIT: I forgot this was also the "f***ing sore loser" race

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    We should all just go to a race somewhere.

Who's rich :) ?

This discussion has been closed.