As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The XBox One controller works really well with Windows. Plus, the XBO controller in general is super comfortable to hold, and has really satisfactory tactile feedback clickiness on its buttons. That would be the controller I recommend if you're gonna go that route on a PC.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I still have an old xbox 360 controller that's sticky but still works whenever I need to use a controller on my PC.

Hmm, maybe now I have the excuse to get a bigger monitor and a more comfortable chair/couch instead of a crappy computer chair!

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I'm a PS4bie.

Even with Gunbreaker, which is Buttons: The Job, the controller experience is super satisfactory.

So for instance, my Solid Barrel combo is R2 + O, X, [], with Burst Strike on ∆ and the offensive oGCDs on R2+Dpad. Fang, Claw, Talon, etc are are double-tap R2 + O, X, [], then D-pad (as long as you hold R2 down after the double-tap, it's still on the second set of hotkeys). All my defensive and threat buttons are set up similarly across L2, with the most commonly used abilities on L2 + face buttons all the way down to Superbolide on double-tap L2+down so I don't accidentally slay healers with heart attacks.

It's really well thought out and super-customizable.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Yo, while y'all are talking about controllers, does anyone have a link to a good resource for setting one up for PC? I've got my wife playing this, but she's a clicker and everything I've tried hasn't been able to break her from it, but she gets hand and wrist issues from using the M+K for longer periods of time so it occurred to me that maybe I should have her try out a controller instead.

The easiest would be an X360/X1 controller - the game supports XInput natively, so it will recognize the controller by default. You can also use a DS4 as well, though that might take more work.

Once you have the controller installed, there's a "toggle" in User Configuration that switches between KBAM and controller input. After you flip it, you'll see the normal hotbars replaced with the cross hotbar. Initially, you have access only to the currently displayed XHB, but there are ways to give you quick access to two others, giving you 48 slots.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Had the weirdest Dhon Mheg run earlier on my white mage and it really stood out because I don't think I have actually had a truly bad dungeon experience since I started.

Now this is a paladin tank and two summoners that seems to have queued together, same server and one of them shares a last name with the tank. The tank runs along and grabs the first two packs of mobs which really shouldn't be a problem but it turns he thinks the only tank cooldown worth using is fight or flight so less holy spam for me and a lot more healing.

Unlike the tank the hp on the mobs is going down really slow and when I look over at the summoners they are just standing there at the edge of the fight not really doing any real casting outside of I guess dotting the mobs up and waiting to refresh. Upside, the fight took so long all the cooldowns I had to burn to keep the tank up started coming back before we where finished.

Second pull, a single this time, is sort of the same thing but I do notice that the not all of them seem to move and do things at the same time and I start trying to figure out how to leave this twisted nightmare. Before I manage to figure out which menu to check and realise that I have to be out of combat for the options to appear they've pulled the last pack before the boss so I stick around for that and then I get the hell out of there.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Numi wrote: »
    Had the weirdest Dhon Mheg run earlier on my white mage and it really stood out because I don't think I have actually had a truly bad dungeon experience since I started.

Now this is a paladin tank and two summoners that seems to have queued together, same server and one of them shares a last name with the tank. The tank runs along and grabs the first two packs of mobs which really shouldn't be a problem but it turns he thinks the only tank cooldown worth using is fight or flight so less holy spam for me and a lot more healing.

Unlike the tank the hp on the mobs is going down really slow and when I look over at the summoners they are just standing there at the edge of the fight not really doing any real casting outside of I guess dotting the mobs up and waiting to refresh. Upside, the fight took so long all the cooldowns I had to burn to keep the tank up started coming back before we where finished.

Second pull, a single this time, is sort of the same thing but I do notice that the not all of them seem to move and do things at the same time and I start trying to figure out how to leave this twisted nightmare. Before I manage to figure out which menu to check and realise that I have to be out of combat for the options to appear they've pulled the last pack before the boss so I stick around for that and then I get the hell out of there.

Sounds like a mulit-boxer. One person, multiple accounts.

steam_sig.png
    Well yes but it is the sloppiest multiboxing I have seen in forever, this guy clearly wasn't using something like isboxer or hotkeynet but I think he might have been swapping screens manually.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I thought controller was decent, with all the customization, but I HATE the controller targeting, could never get used to it.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    By default on the PS4 up and down cycle through the party list and R1+up/down cycles through the enemy list. I went into keybinds and assigned "assist target" to L3 to target the tank's target. That solves *most* of the issues I come across with controller targeting. My wife and I were able to replicate this setup for her PC with a Logitech controller.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found a good way to replicate clicking on one particular enemy in a pack when they're not on the enemy list yet. I have to rely on swinging the camera and spamming left and right until I get the one I want. I can definitely feel that being a dealbreaker for folks.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, trying to click targets is often far more frustrating than effective so you may be better off.

One point in favour of the controller for me is that the ui has a certain mushy feeling to it imo which gets more noticeable when using kbam and even more so when swapping back and forth between ffxiv and something like WoW which a far more crisp interface. I'm not going to give up the control from the keyboard+naga but I'll often grab the controller even without swapping to the controller interface for things like gathering and turning in collectables.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Near the end of stormblood thoughts.
    And here i was thinking the emperor was a reasonable person but nope there's the trademark lunacy.

Zunde wrote: »
    And here i was thinking the emperor was a reasonable person but nope there's the trademark lunacy.
    He clearly wears the armor of a highly stable and well-adjusted individual.

steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    He clearly wears the armor of a highly stable and well-adjusted individual.
    Probably more stable and well-adjusted than some of the stuff the Warrior of Light puts on.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Tab targeting works by just pressing L1/R1 while you hold the triggers. Or if you use toggle like me, just tab L1/R1 while the Xbar is up. Super easy.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Tab targeting works by just pressing L1/R1 while you hold the triggers. Or if you use toggle like me, just tab L1/R1 while the Xbar is up. Super easy.

Hi5, fellow toggler

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Today i learned that even with level 70 Script gear realm reborn large fish can still "Get away"

I'm not crying somebody's just cutting onions.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    According to fishing guides I've read, there's a base chance a fish will escape(based on rarity of the fish) no matter how high your gathering rating is.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    One month and a bunch of money sunk into mats and two bickering assholes finally forged my glamrod
    image0.jpg
    image1.jpg

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The XBox One controller works really well with Windows. Plus, the XBO controller in general is super comfortable to hold, and has really satisfactory tactile feedback clickiness on its buttons. That would be the controller I recommend if you're gonna go that route on a PC.

That's what I use now. Some dark blue XBO controller I got on sale. The wireless mode doesn't work too great, so I just use it with an Anker USB Micro cable.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

That's what I use now. Some dark blue XBO controller I got on sale. The wireless mode doesn't work too great, so I just use it with an Anker USB Micro cable.

Do you have the XBO wireless adapter or are you just using the bluetooth? Because I've found the wireless adapter works great.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Well, Astrologer 60 to 70 quest done.
    It was ok.
    Even good for the most part.
    Only thing i really dislike about it is less about this quest but more of a genre stable.
    So we have this obviously sentient (and pissed) being.
    Whose home was ruined, and then got locked up for a century when they tried to fight back.

And we than drive it away.
    There is no real admittance of the wrong done to the being, nor restitution for their suffering.
    Just a magical appeasement ritual (i'd go so far as compare it to drugging someone) and of you go (dead? banished? what happened to them? nobody knows, nobody cares).
    Ok story, well written, interesting characters, and decent jokes.
    Only real problem is my dislike of the type of story being told, but that's a matter of taste and i suspect most people who don't share my dislike would like this one.

I guess i'll see what the scholar has to offer next, and then level up red mage.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I liked the 0-50 and the 50-60 Paladin quests. I like the idea of going after this awesome sword. A sword I want.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    did you like the conclusion to the 50-60 paladin quests? I thought it was fine up until the last one. At which point it turned into one of those animes where they ran out of money and the writer had writer's block so they didn't have a script so they had to scramble to shit out something vaguely resembling a conclusion.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    How hard is it to do the stuff to get the Zodiac, Anima and Eureka weapons? They all look super cool and I want them for glamors

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    How hard is it to do the stuff to get the Zodiac, Anima and Eureka weapons? They all look super cool and I want them for glamors

Zodiac/Anima are just grindy. Eureka is suffering.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Zodiac and anima are huge grinds but still doable, eureka is as I hear it pretty much impossible until they do something to fix it. Eureka only functioned with a bunch of other people doing it at the same time, and no one is doing it now that shadowbringers is out.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Anima you can blow through most of in a day, just by spending Poetics/GC Seals/Scrips.

It's only the farming Aetheric Density step that gets grindy.

I keep trying Zodiac but bounce right off the book step. Can't be bothered with that nonsense at all.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    edited August 2019
    Eureka was fine. It probably depends on how social you are willing to be. I didn't mind starting a conversation/party and got done with it relatively quick. I doubt you can get a group right now tho, I haven't tried it since ShB launched.

Anima > Zodiac imho. They're both VERY grindy but t least Anima's FATE grinds are faster than Zodiac's.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    @Billiardball can't agree harder. That book/fate step is the worst. And even in its currently nerfed state it's such a chore.

did you like the conclusion to the 50-60 paladin quests? I thought it was fine up until the last one. At which point it turned into one of those animes where they ran out of money and the writer had writer's block so they didn't have a script so they had to scramble to shit out something vaguely resembling a conclusion.

I disliked it a bit, but because uh why. But it was fine. It did feel really anime but I was ok with it. Really though I just want that god damned sword and was very disappointed with the 60-70 story and the 80 story seems like its nothing but some more gladiator stuff

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Eureka will eventually come back but likely still a ways out. For the most part, you don't need huge groups doing it to make it through but it certainly helps. People are still pretty deep into SHB content but considering people still organize Diadem groups old content never really disappears, you just have to look a little harder to find the best times when it's active.

The only thing I'm really worried about not picking back up enough is BA (which isn't important for getting your Eureka weapon) because it does require a large group of dedicated people. And so far the BA discord, at least for Primal, has been mostly crickets. Though from it I can tell you people ARE still doing Eureka and spawning/killing the NMs needed for weapons.

How does Glamour work with the special weapons? Do you only get whatever version you have unlocked or do you someone get like, all of them? Because so many of these look boss

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    How does Glamour work with the special weapons? Do you only get whatever version you have unlocked or do you someone get like, all of them? Because so many of these look boss

As far as I know, once you complete a step with a unique model/particle effects, you can get a replica of that weapon's appearance. I might be wrong on some details, it might not be each single intermediate step with unique particle effects, but could be only a couple of the "finalized" weapons of each relic questline.

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It's pretty comprehensive. Can't get replicas of the last Eureka stages yet though

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I thiiiink you can get replicas/replacements for all the zodiac weapon steps in hyrstmill from the blacksmith's assistant, after you've finished their phase of the questline? don't quote me on this.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Some stages aren't available in replica form until you complete the Zodiac Zeta final weapon, but once you are done you can get a replica of any stage. Which is nice, because it isn't just one weapon glamour, it's like 6 or 7 with at least 3 of them having particle effects/glowing in some way.

IIRC Replica's are only given out at the end not during. For instance, I don't have a DRK replica yet (I think I stopped at step 4?) but I have PLD replica's from Anima and Zodiac steps since I have the complete relic.

The terrifying part is that the books part used to be worse when they first came out. They've since been tweaked enough to be somewhat bearable but are still the lamest part of the questline.

steam_sig.png
    the books wouldn't be quite as bad if they didn't require you to look for specific levequests and FATE spawns, some of which are on like 2 hour timers for some dumb reason.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.