As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Did you Dolly's mirror the demon form, or the reaper?

Offering+, Card draw/energy were the most needed things for the deck. a 3rd demonform would have made my fight against Awoken One a lot worse, and didn't really help me in any noticeable fashion (the deck only needs a demon form in play to crush things, the second was enough redundancy.)

Well, yeah, but I didn't know you already had two demonforms! I considered the offering, but just assumed it was one of the other two

Oh, i duplicated Demon form on floor 28!

...Yeah, this run was uh, a bit silly on it's number of rares/access to rares. I dont think i skipped a single rare, which is pretty unusual!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I can always count on this thread for unsolicited deck pics

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I've been stuck at 7/6/6 for a few days now. Some awful runs, which sure, whatever, but also some very decent ones cut short by stupid mistakes.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    I've been stuck at 7/6/6 for a few days now. Some awful runs, which sure, whatever, but also some very decent ones cut short by stupid mistakes.

Any idea what sort of stupid mistakes were brining you low?

My stream's live for a short bit - Just an hour or so before ih ave to head out. Hopefully doing more fine Slay the Spire content for all you fine folk later this evening and tomorrow!

Edit: Stuck winning at defect? just play EVERY DEFECT CARD AT THE SAME TIME.
    7E160AB465F9CB3B56BC98E731A3C81EB392E9E3

Vod later. Basically carried by Dead branch for scaling and having explosive energy + card draw

The Zombie Penguin on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Came back to this game again after a fairly long break. Cleared my first ascension level as the Ironclad and got my first clear against the Awakened One. Ended up using Demon Form, Spot Weakness, and Flexes to boost my damage and two offerings and battle trances, plus pommel strike and some shrug it offs to keep cycling shit into my hand. Not sure if I would have won it if I didn't finally find Heavy Blade on floor three, but still. Used a relic to make sure I always drew that first turn then used headbutts to keep cycling it back into my hand as much as possible. Incidentally, the image of a fucking hulking demon repeatedly headbutting a giant crow monster is a fun one.

Won with seven HP left! ...Also a fairy bottle potion I got after my first fight in the run and a lizard tail I was keeping just in case.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Iblis wrote: »
    Came back to this game again after a fairly long break. Cleared my first ascension level as the Ironclad and got my first clear against the Awakened One. Ended up using Demon Form, Spot Weakness, and Flexes to boost my damage and two offerings and battle trances, plus pommel strike and some shrug it offs to keep cycling shit into my hand. Not sure if I would have won it if I didn't finally find Heavy Blade on floor three, but still. Used a relic to make sure I always drew that first turn then used headbutts to keep cycling it back into my hand as much as possible. Incidentally, the image of a fucking hulking demon repeatedly headbutting a giant crow monster is a fun one.

Won with seven HP left! ...Also a fairy bottle potion I got after my first fight in the run and a lizard tail I was keeping just in case.

Sounds like a real shame you never found a Reaper to go with that. Feed + Reaper is the dream in Strength decks. Max HP gives you longer to set up, and Reaper just lets you refill hp (Also Max hp gives you more hp to refill, which is how i've done stunts like taking 297 damage in a heart fight)

Still! Good work! Climb that tower!

And now that i'm back, it's time for more streamy streaming. Link in sig as per usual, and we'll be starting off with Ironclad. As always, if you've got questions or want specifics answered, let me know!

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Oh, I did have a single Reaper. It helped quite a bit during the climb to gain back health I was spending on Offerings. During the actual Awakened One fight I only got to use it once. For 37 HP back though, so not shabby. Unfortunately I only got Feed as an option like... a fight or two before the AO fight, so I figured it wasn't worth it.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Early Feed is like, cool, I guess I win

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh I'm much too bad at the game for that to be true. ;P

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular

Any idea what sort of stupid mistakes were brining you low?
    Not thinking ahead when building the deck, not taking into account what I need to handle the elites of each act, and a blind insistence on going for max elites, even when alternate paths would be better suited for my current build.

Anyway, got a fun shiv-based A6 Silent win today, so I'm out of the slump.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on

Any idea what sort of stupid mistakes were bringing you low?
    Not thinking ahead when building the deck, not taking into account what I need to handle the elites of each act, and a blind insistence on going for max elites, even when alternate paths would be better suited for my current build.

Ah yep, those'll get you! I'm finally feeling like i have a handle on whether my decks can beat A2 elites or not. Tri-slavers still make me gibber given how much they want Frontloading thoguh, and i dont really build m y decks to frontload normally =/
    Oh I'm much too bad at the game for that to be true. ;P

It's funny, Feed is like the only card that scales HARD with player skill. MaxHP clad is just some degenerate shit in general, and when you can have stuff like red skull active while you still have 90 hp... eeesh. But it's only degenerate when you know how to play and snipe every single possible fight you can with it, so i'm not sure nerfing it is the right course. It's skill floor is actually pretty high. But hell, like look at that ironclad win i posted on the other page - i gained 60 fucking max hp in a single act. That's insane!

Also, i'm posting in the thread so you know what time it is: Slay the Spire streaming time! Starting off as Silent today, let's see how it goes!

Stream over!

Dunked on the Spire once again, this time as a powers-defect build. Got a hyperbeam super early which was used to carry the deck through Act 1 and most of act 2, and then removed in the a4 shop when it'd stopped being useful and started being a determiment. Mummified Hand, Creative Ai and Bird Faced urn also gave it a ton of sustain, and a bottled Echo Form neatly solved the deck's scaling issues. All in all, a good win. Sadly the next ironclad run was doing well, right up until giant head ripped it's face off and it died on floor 49 to the super elite. (not that it was getting through the bosses with 6 hp left)
    F769EF570BF4675FCA54969B5BB635170BC89BDC

So yeah! Good example of why taking strong cards early is important, even when those cards fall off late. Hyperbeam is just such a monster in Act 1 and Act 2 that the fact it's near useless in late act 3/act 4 does not matter.

Powers decks are my favorite, no matter which character I’m playing

I just love powers!

edited August 2019

Any idea what sort of stupid mistakes were bringing you low?

Ah yep, those'll get you! I'm finally feeling like i have a handle on whether my decks can beat A2 elites or not. Tri-slavers still make me gibber given how much they want Frontloading thoguh, and i dont really build m y decks to frontload normally =/

Tri-slavers are my Achilles heel. So much so, that winning the fight without losing HP feels like a greater achievement than winning a run.

edit: Just picked up Brimstone for the first time. It is absolutely hilarious. It's like Michael Bay's Slay the Spire.

AkimboEG on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Snecko Eye never works out for me. It seems like 75% increased cost, and like... Defend gets to be 0.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Snecko Eye never works out for me. It seems like 75% increased cost, and like... Defend gets to be 0.

Snecko giveth and taketh away

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    75% of the time, a 1 cost card is the same or more than its usual cost so you're not even wrong on the odds. Snecko's real strength is drawing two extra cards and 2+ cost cards.

edited August 2019
    BSoB wrote: »
    75% of the time, a 1 cost card is the same or more than its usual cost so you're not even wrong on the odds. Snecko's real strength is drawing two extra cards and 2+ cost cards.

Yup, exactly. +2 cards every turn is INSANELY strong. Right from the word go, this is like having Bag of Prep for every single hand - and Bag of Prep is already a crazy powerful relic. The cost randomisation is potentially irksome, but also benefical - Defect decks often love Snecko Eye as they're relying on getting Echo Form/Creative Ai or similar into play asap, and Snecko Eye solves both drawing it and playing it.

Snecko Eye also relieves upgrade pressure, as many upgrades are energy related, and you simply stop caring. You can also look at ways to break snecko eye in your favour - Corruption and Setup both overwrite Snecko's cost randomzaiton. Bullet Time too, for that matter. the cost randomisation also only applies when you DRAW a card, meaning Seek can get around it - or Hologram, All For ONe etc can do silly things, as cards keep their existing cost till they're drawn again. AfO Snecko is a very powerful trick, as is AfO Meteor Strike or Bludgeon/Immolate Snecko

Or you can flat out remove the confusion effect via Orange Pellets, which is a powerful trick - but you need a deck that benefits from NOT being confused, and just wants the card draw.

Useful note: If you upgrade a card mid combat, and the upgrade effects it's energy cost, this will overwrite snecko's cost randomisation until you draw it again. (Example: You draw Havoc, costing 3. You then use Armaments to make it into Havoc+ - it now costs zero. When you next draw it from your deck, it's cost will be randomised)

Generally, Snecko Eye is at it's best when you have powerful, high impact, high cost cards you want to draw and play repeatedly. A deck with multiple Dashes is a happy snecko eye deck - a deck with multiple Iron Waves is not. It's at it's worst if you're trying to play specific, cheap cards or are relying on 0 costs. Snecko also gets stronger with acess to more card draw as well as having a fourth energy, or a way to produce energy reliably (Art of War being a standout for Silent)

@akjak Hopefully this all helps!

It's defintely hte strongest relic in the game though! It'sjust well.. see all i wrote above on how to make it work. That's StS in a nutshell.

I meant to announce i was streaming, but i failed to do so. Instead i just streamed How To Snecko: The Defect Edition.
    C9EF591DC1396486FD33F48F0E39302F96ED0744

Go home, Defect. You're drunk. (Also wow, my winrate at StS has really spiked up recenetly.)

But uh yeah. This was How to Snecko, the deck. Snecko was taken with an Echo Form and a All For One already in the deck, then it got to toss out Cracked core and get N'loths gift. Which showered it in rares - leading to another All For One, another Echo Form, Creative Ai, and Meteor Strike. And then it got Dead Branch. because why the fuck not!?

It spent the entire run being 1 bad turn from dying, and also doing things like perfecting the Time Eater, because... !??! Yay for Drunkdefect

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Took a good ten tries or so to beat Ironclad A3. I'm thinking maybe I'm trying too hard to hunt elites in Act I - most of my runs ended at the Act I boss because I'd just be too bloodied by that point.

My win last night did not feel earned, though - picked up both Dead Branch and Corruption in Act I and welp, I win! So now I'm up to A4 but I'm not sure I should be there yet.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Took a good ten tries or so to beat Ironclad A3. I'm thinking maybe I'm trying too hard to hunt elites in Act I - most of my runs ended at the Act I boss because I'd just be too bloodied by that point.

My win last night did not feel earned, though - picked up both Dead Branch and Corruption in Act I and welp, I win! So now I'm up to A4 but I'm not sure I should be there yet.

It's a long road to A20 - getting a few easy wins along the way doesn't really invalidate the journey.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Snecko is strong, but I also rarely pick it because I usually have less fun in games with Snecko.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Switch version got patched to fix some of the hitching issues and more importantly, Lock On now works! Defect is unstoppable!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited August 2019
    This is probably a good place to mention that Terry Cavanagh's Dicey Dungeons is out.

AkimboEG on
    edited August 2019
    kime wrote: »
    Snecko is strong, but I also rarely pick it because I usually have less fun in games with Snecko.

But then you miss out on the glory of drunk snecko runs!

This is probably a good place to mention that Terry Cavanagh's Dicey Dungeons is out.

I was just streaming that earlier today. I've beaten it on 4/7 classes so far. It's not bad, it's actually a lot of fun (not to mention charming as all hell). But it has pretty serious UI/UX issues.

A couple of examples: you can upgrade equipment, just like in Spire. There's a status effect, Weaken, that can reduce equipment to a crappier version temporarily.

You'd expect: these effects cancel each other out, leaving your equipment in it's normal state.

Instead: weaken overwrites things entirely. So if your relying on a particular upgrade, or equipment? Well uh, that sucks. Better hope weaken dosent hit it

Another case, The Witch, gets a choice between preparing another spell slot, or upgrading one of her spell slots on level up.

You'd expect: you get to choose which spell slot, giving you the choice between more power or more options at the start of a fight.

Instead: the upgraded spell slot is chosen for you, with no warning of this

There were multiple other issues like that. Another big flaw is that foes also roll dice, meaning there's no way to predict what they're doing and plan around it. (And for that matter, there's very limited options for mitigation).

Which combined with the full heal on level up means you're heavily incentized to just burn things out of existence, while hoping your opponents roll poorly.

Lots of RNG in other words. Lots and lots and lots of it.

Alllllll that said... It's pretty fun! Is not got the legs, depth or intricacies of Spire, but then few things so. So temper expectations accordingly and you'll have fun. I really hope the dev keeps putting time into it, because I think there a real fun core in there-it just needs more work, time and feedback to draw it out

Alsoe way you get to be the seventh class (and what the seventh class is for that matter) is probably worthy of the cost of entry alone

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I don't understand your objection to the witch spell slot enhancements

When you get a slot that's upgraded or prepared, it doesn't matter which slot it is, because all the slots are interchangeable and you can adjust your prepared spells as you prefer

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

When you get a slot that's upgraded or prepared, it doesn't matter which slot it is, because all the slots are interchangeable and you can adjust your prepared spells as you prefer

Oh wait. Do the witch spell upgrades apply to one of the four combat slots instead of one of the six spellbook spells?

If I’m understanding that right, that’s super powerful in utility. Can just plop down which ever spell from the spellbook is most useful in its upgraded form for the current fight.

steam_sig.png

Oh wait. Do the witch spell upgrades apply to one of the four combat slots instead of one of the six spellbook spells?

If I’m understanding that right, that’s super powerful in utility. Can just plop down which ever spell from the spellbook is most useful in its upgraded form for the current fight.

Yes, the enhancements are to the slots, not to the spells themselves. It's extremely powerful. I'm actually not sure you should ever take the prepared spell option; most spells you'd want to prepare (like Hall of Mirrors) are far, far better as upgraded versions.

Another thing I didn't realize until partway through my first Witch run, maybe because I'm colourblind, is that any spells you've prepared and then cast will automatically be prepared the next turn (and the spell is visible in the slot, greyed out). You're basically setting what the slot is every turn, until you change it. When I realized this, it became trivial to beat most encounters; I stunlocked the last boss and was rolling 9 dice by the end

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Yes, the enhancements are to the slots, not to the spells themselves. It's extremely powerful. I'm actually not sure you should ever take the prepared spell option; most spells you'd want to prepare (like Hall of Mirrors) are far, far better as upgraded versions.

Another thing I didn't realize until partway through my first Witch run, maybe because I'm colourblind, is that any spells you've prepared and then cast will automatically be prepared the next turn (and the spell is visible in the slot, greyed out). You're basically setting what the slot is every turn, until you change it. When I realized this, it became trivial to beat most encounters; I stunlocked the last boss and was rolling 9 dice by the end

Yeah, watching Zombie Penguin stream the game last night, that looked like a powerful strat. The other thing it looked like you could do is overwrite a "used" combat-slot with a different spell on the same turn, so if you have more dice to spend, you can keep throwing spells, even once you've cast ~4 spells. I haven't bought the game (yet?) to test that myself but it looked very fun to play.

steam_sig.png

If there was a way to move my prepared spells so they started off in the upgraded slot, I'm happy to be wrong! As said, most of my issues are purely UI/ux based. I simply couldn't figure out how to move where my prepared slots were

(Also we probably need to spin this off into an actual dicey dungeons thread)

If there was a way to move my prepared spells so they started off in the upgraded slot, I'm happy to be wrong! As said, most of my issues are purely UI/ux based. I simply couldn't figure out how to move where my prepared slots were

Isn't it that a slot can only be "prepared" or "upgraded", not both? It seems like a deliberate choice to have you make a decision and choose between a stronger starting position vs a stronger tableau once you've put your spells out manually.

Isn't it that a slot can only be "prepared" or "upgraded", not both? It seems like a deliberate choice to have you make a decision and choose between a stronger starting position vs a stronger tableau once you've put your spells out manually.

Ah, yeah, you were right. (Someone up for making a thread for Dicey Dungeons? i dont think i like it/care enough about it to maintain such a thing).

Meanwhile: Go home Ironclad. You're drunk. REALLY REALLY DRUNK. Shame i wasnt streaming for this one, because ahahaha, wow. Carried by Feed, and carried hard.
    79541A02B3FA6927C2116D8BCC55ACB86F69F4324F195E258C8E4C66E7956E5933E30B1625D531262284DCBC78132B13DCD57AFAEB46DEAB52415D17

Just... take Feed as your rare card. Then take Pandora's box. Then just get REALLY drunk, and give Pandora's box to N'loth on floor 22

Then, 34 floors later? Win.

Easy!

Best decision i made was skipping Bag of Prep to buy an Apotheosis - a painful choice, but one that hugely paid off with a Pandora's already in the deck. Oh, and that last event in a2? That was the Colissuem. I am so pissy that can only turn up in the last half of act 2 now, it means you almost never see it and it's one of the most fun events in the game for risk/reward.

(Also just look at that T1 vs the A4 elites. Poor fuckers).

I made a really dumb call because I'm so out of practice. >_>
    An otherwise decent Silent run where I didn't have GREAT defense at all, but was pretty capable of killing things quickly to make it work out, I cleared 20 and made it into Act 4. I realized my folly having taken Philosopher's Stone, when the heart did his first multi-attack and I had added 15 damage to it.
    Oops. I flopped (took more than a desirable amount of damage from the S&S anyway).

Overall highlights were: having a deck with a lot of draw & discard, weird energy shenanigans with multiple Sneaky Strikes and necronomicon, all to fuel massive double or quad-damage Skewers. I saw Chemical X, Tinga, and Torn Bandages in stores and could never afford any of them. :P
    Had dead branch, got a Grand Finale and was actually able to cast it during Deca + Donu. If I was smart, I would have played a Neutralize first so I would have triggered Pen Nib for it, but ... well, again, I'm an out of practice idiot. ^_^

edited August 2019
    A worthy followup post:
    The above happening a second time is how I learned that the damage the heart takes from spikes/flame wall count against the damage you do on your turn, so when it takes over 200 you're automatically dealing 0 damage. :|

[edit because I'm not spamming any harder than I already am]
    Pulled it out~
    0ducpy8aq5tu.png
    I think I deserve bonus points for landing my final attack as a Fiend Fire that put me down to my entire deck being exhausted. :P

ArcticLancer on
    I finally got the donut cheevo. Wasn't even chasing it. Delicious.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    The 4th Character will be on the Steam beta branch starting September 9th.

And will be officially released sometime after beta testing.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Don’t suppose there’s been any hints to what it is?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Don’t suppose there’s been any hints to what it is?
    There is a teaser image:

ZFFyjHA.png

So a Cleric type class then? Makes sense, we’ve got a Fighter, Thief, and Mage.

They've done interesting variations on each, so maybe more of a cultist or acolyte